Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: General Science Thread

Back to hard science.

Really cool article on the Ebola hunt. Bats as possible host species. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...ong-bats-congo

And they could be the answer to one of virology's dark mysteries: Where does the deadly Ebola virus lurk?

The question has obsessed researchers for more than 40 years. In 1976, the virus emerged suddenly from the jungle a few hundred kilometers northwest of here close to the Ebola River. The then-unknown pathogen tore through a small mission hospital in Yambuku, in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo
    "We know everything about its replication cycle but fricking nothing about where it comes from and how it causes outbreaks."

The virus kills several species, including antelopes, chimpanzees, and gorillas. But some other animal must be able to host the virus without dying from it, and bats are the chief suspect.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Another great article:http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...n-cells-action

Using “freshman physics,” neuroscientists have deployed electric fields to stimulate neurons buried deep in the brains of mice—a method that could one day lead to noninvasive therapies for people with Parkinson’s disease and other brain disorders.

This deep brain stimulation (DBS) has won approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating Parkinson’s disease, other movement disorders, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.Though the method has produced some striking therapeutic successes, infection, stroke, and the migration of electrodes are rare but real risks
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

How about a planet 50x more mass than Jupiter? http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017...mer-of-eclipse

Osborn and co-authors discovered that every 808 days, the light from PDS 110 is reduced to 30% for about two to three weeks. Two notable eclipses observed were in November 2008 and January 2011.

“What’s exciting is that during both eclipses we see the light from the star change rapidly, and that suggests that there are rings in the eclipsing object, but these rings are many times larger than the rings around Saturn,” said Dr. Matthew Kenworthy, an astronomer at Leiden Observatory.
    Mark Twain.

BTW, just looking at that bat article again, and the pic ...that's a big bat. That thing is bigger than some dogs I see in the park. I always thought of them as flying squirrels. Flying dogs? That's a little ooky spooky.

Oh, and over 100 of you have checked out the thread since I put up the 3 new ones. I am glad so many seem interested. Enjoy.
    Mark Twain.

New approaches to pain management, no more need be said. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...er-painkillers

The quest for better opioids got a much-needed jolt in 1999, when researchers at Duke University showed that mice lacking a protein called beta-arrestin 2 got more pain relief from morphine than normal mice did. And in a follow-up study, negative effects were less likely.
    *That website is worth supporting, non-profit, great site.
    Mark Twain.

Two installments above, the most massive planet found, here's the hottest; https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...records?tgt=nr

This Jupiter-like exoplanet revolves around a star just 650 light-years away, locked in an orbit that keeps one side always facing its star. With blistering temps hovering at about 4,300o Celsius, the atmosphere on KELT 9b’s dayside is over 700 degrees hotter than the previous record-holder — and hot enough that atoms cannot bind together to form molecules.
    Sounds hotter than Yuma, even.

Mark Twain.

Very important find: https://www.livescience.com/59398-ol...iscovered.html

Oldest Fossils of Our Species Push Back Origin of Modern Humans

The fossils — which belong to five individuals, including a teenager and a younger child — push back the origin of Homo sapiens by 100,000 years, scientists say. The fossils also suggest that our species originated throughout the entire African continent instead of mainly in its eastern corner as previous research had suggested.

The five individuals may have been taking shelter in the Moroccan cave while hunting, possibly for gazelle or wildebeest, in what may have been a green Sahara. Though their faces looked a lot like ours do today, the individuals discovered in Morocco had smaller versions of a brain region called the cerebellum and an elongated braincase, the researchers said.
    Mark Twain.

This is really fun. 250 million years of future plate tectonics: 1:00 and SFW, but music.

Mark Twain.

It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    It's kind of funny, I don't believe in ghosts 1%, but I'm willing to "think" about the things these guys are saying and what they've seen (especially Gordo Cooper). And yet, my cousin, who lives in an old house, without any sort of intent to convince me of anything, continually tells me about the fact that he wakes up (he lives alone) and will find that huge potted plants that he can barely move, will switch corners in the room, etc. To which I say ....nothing. I just shake my head and go "wow" and am glad nothing like that happens to me.
    Years ago, Woohoo started a thread on the bb board asking for Halloween stories. This one is true, or at least as far as my memory from 40 years ago is accurate.

After I finished college, I moved back home to eastern Pa. for a summer and fall before moving west. I moved into a 200 or so year old semi-rural house with 4 of my hs friends. The place was falling apart but the rent was 50 bucks apiece with 5 of us.

My friends told me about an entity they had named Elmer, who was a presence in the house. The old stone house was sagging so badly that the front door wouldn't open; we entered through the back. One cold night the previous winter, everybody woke up to an icy chill (38 degrees in the house) and that front door was wide open. They had to hammer it back shut with a sledge hammer. Another winter night, one of my friends awoke to snow falling on his face; the window above his bed was wide open.

I thought everybody was pulling my leg (nobody was the least bit frightened; they just joked about him), until the following. I had a room off the living room, as last one to move in. I was driving a commercial dairy route 4 days a week, getting up at 4:30 AM, so on work nights I'd go sleep on a mattress in the attic as I had to go to sleep a couple hours before everybody else. One night I couldn't get the attic lights to go on. They'd flicker, then go out. I'd unplug and replug the extension cord that powered the attic and the power would come back, then flicker and go out again. I was checking fuses etc; this went on for about 15 minutes and I'd had probably half a dozen beers. Finally, after about the fifth time they went out, totally as a joke to myself, I yelled, "Elmer, knock it off". The lights INSTANTLY came on and I had no more trouble.

My other experience: One morning I slept through my alarm at 4:30 and woke up just before my 5:00 departure time. I jumped up and raced out the door. That afternoon when I got home, the guy whose room was at the foot of the attic stairs said "what the hell were you doing up there this morning?" I said what do you mean? He said that the door to the little room in the middle of the attic where I was sleeping was slamming open and shut nonstop for about 15 minutes. (There was no ventilation or air movement in the attic.) I just said I'd slept thru my alarm and it must have been Elmer. He just said, "oh" like that was a totally reasonable explanation. Apparently Elmer had taken a liking to me and didn't want me to be late for work.

When I hear stories like that, or stories from Skinwalker Ranch https://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Skinwalk.../dp/1416505210 *, there's a temptation to just laugh it off as ridiculous.

But, I know George Knapp, award winning reporter at KLAS in Las Vegas. He won awards for reporting on Mob stuff in Vegas, on water wars, and he broke the Area 51 story. He went to Skinwalker with a team of scientists, who all were quite freaked. Anyone who wants their shorts scared off, should read the book. We live in 3 dimensions, 4th being time. Science knows of 11, along with possible parallel universes, it's kind of arrogant to assume that what we see in front of us is all there is.

The Irish had a saying for places that seemed "haunted" or where they'd see "little men" or whatever weird things, they called them "Places where the earth is thin." If one thinks in terms of dimensions, or parallel universes, it's an interesting description.
    Mark Twain.

Fascinating. Those can be faked quite easily, but why do so? Medical MJ is quite accepted, so I'm not sure why anyone would fake it.Amazing transformation.
    Mark Twain.

Ladybugs fold their wings like origami masters https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...masters?tgt=nr

Slow-motion video of the altered ladybug showed that the insect makes a complex, origami-like series of folds to stash its wings, the scientists report in the May 30 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. CT scans helped explain how the wings can be both strong enough to hold the insects aloft and easily foldable into a tiny package. The shape of the wing veins allows them to flex like a metal tape measure, making the wings stiff but bendable. Lessons learned from the wings could be applied to new technologies, including foldable aircraft wings or solar panels that unfurl from a spacecraft.
    *If anyone ever doubted why basic science is so important, you never know what might come of a discovery as little as this - new spacecraft?

Please support this wonderful non-profit website with at least a click or throw them a donation. I make a tiny one each month.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Years ago, Woohoo started a thread on the bb board asking for Halloween stories. This one is true, or at least as far as my memory from 40 years ago is accurate.

After I finished college, I moved back home to eastern Pa. for a summer and fall before moving west. I moved into a 200 or so year old semi-rural house with 4 of my hs friends. The place was falling apart but the rent was 50 bucks apiece with 5 of us.

My friends told me about an entity they had named Elmer, who was a presence in the house. The old stone house was sagging so badly that the front door wouldn't open; we entered through the back. One cold night the previous winter, everybody woke up to an icy chill (38 degrees in the house) and that front door was wide open. They had to hammer it back shut with a sledge hammer. Another winter night, one of my friends awoke to snow falling on his face; the window above his bed was wide open.

I thought everybody was pulling my leg (nobody was the least bit frightened; they just joked about him), until the following. I had a room off the living room, as last one to move in. I was driving a commercial dairy route 4 days a week, getting up at 4:30 AM, so on work nights I'd go sleep on a mattress in the attic as I had to go to sleep a couple hours before everybody else. One night I couldn't get the attic lights to go on. They'd flicker, then go out. I'd unplug and replug the extension cord that powered the attic and the power would come back, then flicker and go out again. I was checking fuses etc; this went on for about 15 minutes and I'd had probably half a dozen beers. Finally, after about the fifth time they went out, totally as a joke to myself, I yelled, "Elmer, knock it off". The lights INSTANTLY came on and I had no more trouble.

My other experience: One morning I slept through my alarm at 4:30 and woke up just before my 5:00 departure time. I jumped up and raced out the door. That afternoon when I got home, the guy whose room was at the foot of the attic stairs said "what the hell were you doing up there this morning?" I said what do you mean? He said that the door to the little room in the middle of the attic where I was sleeping was slamming open and shut nonstop for about 15 minutes. (There was no ventilation or air movement in the attic.) I just said I'd slept thru my alarm and it must have been Elmer. He just said, "oh" like that was a totally reasonable explanation. Apparently Elmer had taken a liking to me and didn't want me to be late for work.
    I always love hearing stories. We've heard footsteps here (and it's always a time when the weather is pleasant so heater and AC are off, windows are shut, making it hard to explain. I couldn't believe it when a month after moving here my husband who is a huge sceptic said he heard something. I've heard people compare it to a recording that will just randomly replay itself like footsteps or certain house sounds.

The weirdest by far was shortly after Grant potty trained he was in a bed in his own room and Stan was still a baby in the nursery. I'm brushing my teeth and I hear"Momma" running and the door sounds like he's trying to get out (sometimes it sticks because the plate moves so you have to jiggle it). I figure he has a potty emergency, run to the door, tell him to stand back and I open it. I look all over for him hoping he's not hiding because he peed himself lol. Finally I look in his bed, he's sound asleep and then it occurred to me that he's always called me Mommy and not MaMa/Momma, so I really don't think he yelled out in his sleep.

My cousin - the one with the huge potted plants that would change places in the house overnight, told me a story about something that happened twice. He had 2 medium sized dogs. They slept up on the bed with him. On two occasions, he woke in the middle of the night to the dogs standing on the bed, growling, hair on their necks up, moving their heads slowly as if watching something move. He saw nothing at all.

I can laugh off yelling at ghosts, pots moving around, as long as they're just messing with you in a light-hearted way. But, if dogs are freaked out thinking some "thing" is in your room - that's no longer cool.

No one gets to make fun of my fascination of UFOs anymore.
    Mark Twain.

Special class of stars yield more "habitable zone" planets: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-dim-red-stars

M dwarfs appear to be prolific planet producers. The dim stars harbor 3.5 times as many small planets, defined as planets between one and 2.8 times as wide as Earth, as do stars more like our sun. Compared with slightly warmer stars called K dwarfs and with suns like ours, M dwarfs probably have the lead on habitable worlds.

By one conservative estimate, 13 known exoplanets are “habitable,” and 11 are around M dwarfs. That estimate comes from the Planetary Habitability Laboratory at the University of Puerto Rico ....
    M dwarfs feature prominently partly because it’s easier to find habitable planets around these stars. For a planet to stay warm around such a cool star, it has to huddle up close, offering the best chance to get noticed. A close-in planet will have a stronger gravitational tug on its star, making it easier to detect the star’s wobble. And because these planets loop around their star faster than remote worlds, dips in the star’s brightness as well as changes in the star’s speed will be seen more often.

Mark Twain.

Take a ride on the shuttle booster rocket up to space and back down to ocean, from 4 different camera views. Warning. Easy to lose 10 minutes in fascination.

Mark Twain.

Since we went up, might as well land it from the cockpit:

Mark Twain.

Take a ride on the shuttle booster rocket up to space and back down to ocean, from 4 different camera views. Warning. Easy to lose 10 minutes in fascination.

I re-watched the first view, it is kind of cool to contemplate, that in less than 8 minutes, that booster goes from launch pad, to the very edge of space, to falling back from the edge of space and floating in the water in the Atlantic
    Mark Twain.

Special class of stars yield more "habitable zone" planets: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-dim-red-stars

Shouldn't those be called "Little Stars", just to be PC?
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Shouldn't those be called "Little Stars", just to be PC?
    Corporate America, missing no opportunity, Disney has already purchased the naming rights.
    Mark Twain.

Corporate America, missing no opportunity, Disney has already purchased the naming rights.
    A remake of Under The Rainbow?
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    A remake of Under The Rainbow?
    I doubt they have a solid idea yet, they only know that since they own the entirety of this planet, it's best to start investing in the new ones even before they know what to do with them.

Kinda like this thread, I don't own it, but take a personal interest in seeing it enjoyed, so I write a reply to you knowing I want this back near the top without any idea what might come next, as I'm burried with assignments in another system right now.
    Mark Twain.

To compliment the Mt. St. Helens thread. Lahars: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/lahars.html

Lahar is an Indonesian term that describes a hot or cold mixture of water and rock fragments that flows down the slopes of a volcano and typically enters a river valley. Small seasonal events are sometimes referred to as "debris flows", especially in the Cascades. Lahars generally occur on or near stratovolcanoes, such as those of the Aleutian volcanic arc in Alaska and the Cascade Range in the Western U.S
    A moving lahar looks like a roiling slurry of wet concrete, and as it rushes downstream, the size, speed, and amount of material carried can constantly change.
    Mark Twain.

Place holder for volcanic responses to the lahar issue in Cascades.
    Mark Twain.