Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: General Science Thread

Covid-19 can transfer to animals....we shall see if it can transfer back to man.

Atlanta's zoo says at least 13 western lowland gorillas have tested positive for COVID-19, including 60-year-old Ozzie, the oldest male gorilla in captivity.
    Zoo officials say they believe an asymptomatic employee who cares for the gorillas passed on the virus. The employee had been fully vaccinated and was wearing protective equipment such as a mask and gloves.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...a-zoo-79959057

Does physics explain the order of the universe or is it part of the Creation that instills order?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Does physics explain the order of the universe or is it part of the Creation that instills order?
    I think physics is trying to determine the order of the universe .....I am not aware that involves creation in a religious context....I am not a Physicist but I believe it is a empirical science that does not try to determine anything about god but rather physical evidence...... physicalism....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I think physics is trying to determine the order of the universe .....I am not aware that involves creation in a religious context....I am not a Physicist but I believe it is a empirical science that does not try to determine anything about god but rather physical evidence...... physicalism....
    My Dad used to tell us that students taking physics should clean their drawers at least twice a week.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

03 this week "Nick On the Rocks"....a geologist .....did a spot on Spokane PBS on the Lahars from Mount Rainier....historically from the east side and down the White River and across the Puyallup Plain to Tacoma.....the next event is expected to occur on the west side of the mountain....

Washington State Dept. Of Natural Resources ....has a web site named "LIDAR" that is a Library of nearly all the research on natural resources that has been done in Washington State .... it can make your outings even more interesting if you want to know what you are traveling on or looking at....
    cool, this guy has some interesting videos. Thank you
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Guaranteed to make your next bite that much worse:

How metal-infused jaws give some ants an exceptionally sharp bite

The technique used to make this discovery is as amazing as the discovery.

Take an ant’s tooth, tapering off into a tip less than the size of a dust particle. Something that hadn’t been studied was the arrangement of atoms out on the tip. That’s where Devaraj’s expertise entered the picture. “In materials science, it’s pretty routine for us to look at how atomic structure dictates properties,” he says.

So Schofield’s group extracted teeth from an ant colony at the University of Oregon and sent them six hours away to PNNL. There, Devaraj and his colleagues—including doctoral intern Xiaoyue Wang—extracted an even tinier sample, just a few atoms across.

With that sample, Devaraj and his colleague applied a technique called atom probe tomography. They placed the sample inside a vacuum chamber, then quite literally began evaporating the sample, one atom at a time. By watching how the atoms flew off, they could determine what the atoms were and where on the sample they came from.

It’s a technique originally meant for analyzing human-made materials. But by using it on this ant’s tooth, the researchers were able to determine which atoms sit where on the tooth’s tip.
    https://www.popsci.com/animals/heavy...pen-ant-teeth/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

This is a subject that I can speak to a tiny bit.

Physics, particularly quantum mechanics and cosmology has gotten to the point where they are studying and speculating on things through math alone, and on stuff that by their very nature can't really be proven in the Newtonian sense, or even with particle accelerators.

Thus it gets to the point where people with PhDs in philosophy AND physics (As I have said elsewhere, that's a thing, there are many) battling out questions such as "If it can only ever be proven by math alone, or just the "best math theory" is that even science anymore? Or is it just metaphysics dressed up in a more respectable veneer?

Additionally, there are several accepting physics theories that attempt to explain why the universe is "fine tuned" for life (It is creepy fine-tuned) and one explanation is that there are universes created and destroyed all the time, everywhere, trillions, and we find ourselves in one that is habitable bc of course that's where one would find oneself. But there is a saying that a theory that can explain anything, explains nothing.

Last, many equations involve infinities (Pi is an example of just one such infinity, there will never be a perfect circle) and philosophers debate whether infinities are inherently self-contradciting somewhere.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

MMM - That is true, and an amazing ability in and of itself.

Materials science is getting ridiculously good and that's one of the main tools.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quantum physics for $1000...... What is " Spooky action at a distance " or Quantum Entanglement ....What it would take for Gonzaga to join the Big East....
    Gonzaga v. Villanova

Each team is playing a game on each coast, against each other, the Gonzaga players are playing an invisible Villanova team, and vice versa, both teams at home. Neither team knows the score. Someone at the MAC hits a button that lights up the final score, GU Players look up and find out whether they won or lost.

Across the country, the game at Villanova stops at the exact same instant, instantaneously, making the speed of light look like a dead turtle. The score flashes, even though no one in Villanova stopped the game. They see the results. One team one, one team lost, there are no other alternatives. They both stop and know at the same instant, without any communication. (Spooky)

That is literally the closest approximation this non-physicist, non-math guy, can make. I am sure a real physicist can do better but I think they'd admit that my example isn't "bad."

Quantum entanglement: Two particles "entangled" fly out from the same entangled source. Neither is observed. While remaining unobserved, each one is BOTH positive and negative. Take one in a box to the other side of the universe. Open it, that particle will then adopt either a positive or negative spin (no longer both), across the universe, the other one stops instantaneously, and is the opposite of the one observed. "Spooky action at a distance" - Nothing is communicated across space or time, no information is sent. They remained entangled across space and time. When one half is observed, the other "knows" and is the opposite.

Now the weird part. No, it cannot be used to communicated faster than light bc it's "worthless" information. Untl observed, no one knew whether either was positive or negative bc they were both - it's like stopping a slot machine, there would be no way to make a meaningful message ahead of time.
    Mark Twain.

Einstein says it is impossible ...... Gonzaga will never be in the Big East in any configuration.....

How the sausage is made....

Dixie..... I think the public wants certainty and with the pandemic they are watching medical science work every day on the news and they are confused.....

because there is no certainty in science....no end point.....there is a relentless and merciless testing of replication...... and the data that are always changing as new or different information is discovered.....

Kind of like Truman who wanted a Economist with one hand......but never found one...

Einstein says it is impossible ...... Gonzaga will never be in the Big East in any configuration.....
    Einstein also thought quantum entanglement was impossible. That was why he called it a silly name.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Einstein also thought quantum entanglement was impossible. That was why he called it a silly name.
    Actually, in a 1935 paper, the "EPR" paper, Enstein proved quantum entanglement as a way to show that the duality (Heisenberg's cat, dead and alive at the same time) was ridiculous. Unknowingly, he actually ended up proving the opposite.

Einstein only had 2 great papers after his general relatively paper in 1916, and both came in 1935, co-written with some guy named "Rosen," and another Podernsky guy. The EPR one was on entanglement and meant to prove that each particle was positive and negative all along and were not "both" until observed ("Bc the pos/neg spin information couldn't travel faster than light").

They are called the EPR paper and the "Einstein-Rosen" papers, both from 1935, and both have held up. He didn't know exactly what he proved at the time (no one did). The second paper, the Einstein-Rosen paper, or what they call the "ER" paper established the "Einstein-Rosen Bridge" which was the first to posit wormholes as the explanation for the entanglement existing across space and "spooky action at a distance"

It wasn't the "action" that Einstein ridiculed, he could see that, it happened instantaneously. He ridiculed and hated the "It is both positive and negative until observed" and he never did believe it right to the day he died, his last notes were equations trying to disprove it and come with a grand unified theory.

Two of the greatest living theoretical physicists now, Juan Maldacina and Leonard Suskind have now written a paper titled "ER = EPR" and they use blackholes, wormholes, quantum entanglement, and holographic universes.

To say that I do not understand it might be the biggest understatement in all of history. I do find it interesting, though.
    Mark Twain.

From Wiki (I had some names spelled wrong) I wanted to look up what I wrote above bc I wanted it more accurate. I was mostly right but not as concise:

ER= EPR

ER = EPR is a conjecture in physics stating that two entangled particles (a so-called Einstein–Podolsky–Rosen or EPR pair) are connected by a wormhole (or Einstein–Rosen bridge)[1][2] and may be a basis for unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics into a theory of everything.[1]

The conjecture was proposed by Leonard Susskind and Juan Maldacena in 2013.[3] They proposed that a non-traversable wormhole (Einstein–Rosen bridge or ER bridge) is equivalent to a pair of maximally entangled black holes. EPR refers to quantum entanglement (EPR paradox).

The symbol is derived from the first letters of the surnames of authors who wrote the first paper on wormholes (Albert Einstein and Nathan Rosen)[4] and the first paper on entanglement (Einstein, Boris Podolsky and Rosen).[5] The two papers were published in 1935, but the authors did not claim any connection between the concepts.[2]

Susskind and Maldacena envisioned gathering up all the Hawking particles and smushing them together until they collapse into a black hole. That black hole would be entangled, and thus connected via wormhole, with the original black hole. That trick transformed a confusing mess of Hawking particles—paradoxically entangled with both a black hole and each other—into two black holes connected by a wormhole. Entanglement overload is averted, and the firewall problem goes away.

— Andrew Grant, "Entanglement: Gravity's long-distance connection", Science News [8]
    Preliminary evidence, though indirect, for ER = EPR is that a certain entangled pair has been realized as an ER bridge using AdS/CFT correspondence.[6]
    Mark Twain.

Happy to see this thread back on track.

Happy to see this thread back on track.
    Me, too. And I'll be damned if I allow this thread that belongs to all of us to be the only 2 star rated thread on the foo. If I work hard enough, I hope we can earn that 5th star back?

Human footprints near ice age lake suggest surprisingly early arrival in the Americas

Between 23,000 and 21,000 years ago, people squished through the mud along a lakeshore in what is now New Mexico, alone and in small groups, leaving behind their footprints. Or at least that’s the conclusion of a new paper that Oregon State University, Corvallis, archaeologist Loren Davis calls “potentially groundbreaking.” If the dates are right, the discovery would be the strongest evidence yet that people reached the Americas during the middle of the last ice age, thousands of years earlier than many archaeologists thought.

“If that’s true … it’s going to be a revolution in the way that we think about archaeology in the Americas,” says Davis, who wasn’t involved with the work. It might reignite debates about how people first reached the continent from Asia. But Davis and others would like corroboration of the surprising dates before they rewrite their understanding of when and how people arrived.
    Mark Twain.

This better get my 5th Star back:

Virgin Births Documented in Rare Endangered Bird Population – The California Condor

The temptation to quote Jurassic Park must have been irresistible for conservation scientists at a San Diego Zoo breeding program for critically-endangered California condors, when it was discovered that two females had conceived through “parthenogenesis,” also known as a virgin birth.

The scientists looked around at the 467 males to see who might have mated with the birds, and announced the first virgin birth ever observed in condors only after every male in the breeding program was tested.

Furthermore, it was the first time asexual reproduction was ever recorded where a female of any species was known to have access to a mate.

Only around 500 California condors live in the southwestern United States and in Mexico.
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/virg...fornia-condor/
    Mark Twain.

POP QUIZ:

2 Hydrogen Molecules
    1 Oxygen Molecule

WHAT AM I?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    POP QUIZ:

2 Hydrogen Molecules
    1 Oxygen Molecule

WHAT AM I?
    Carbon Dioxide?

This was an actual page in my 10 year old's curriculum last year. I'm really glad our school got rid of this vendor and are using their own curriculum this year for online work. I'd like to say this was one of the more egregious errors but it was something like this at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Carbon Dioxide?

This was an actual page in my 10 year old's curriculum last year. I'm really glad our school got rid of this vendor and are using their own curriculum this year for online work. I'd like to say this was one of the more egregious errors but it was something like this at least once a week.

Oh gosh hahaha.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...