Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: General Science Thread

Irresistible.

I cannot stop thinking about what scientists call "The Hard Problem," where consciousness arises from.

I find the idea of "consciousness" being fundamental to the universe and living things simply tap into it, absolutely irresistible.

If feeds spirituality, and I like when science can shed some fundamentalism and embrace bigger pictures.

Like everything else, I'm lucky to understand only a third of this, but it's a fascinating 1/3rd.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Irresistible.

I cannot stop thinking about what scientists call "The Hard Problem," where consciousness arises from.

I find the idea of "consciousness" being fundamental to the universe and living things simply tap into it, absolutely irresistible.

If feeds spirituality, and I like when science can shed some fundamentalism and embrace bigger pictures.

Like everything else, I'm lucky to understand only a third of this, but it's a fascinating 1/3rd.

Looking forward to this. Maybe tonight I'll have time.

Default Playing with fire...er, black holes.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...xperiment.html

Are we doomed? I don't think so, but....

I can't get the article to let me copy and paste excerpts, but the speculation is fascinating. In one scenario it describes a black hole created by CERN to reduce the size of the earth to 300 feet across or eat up the planet from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...xperiment.html

Are we doomed? I don't think so, but....

I can't get the article to let me copy and paste excerpts, but the speculation is fascinating. In one scenario it describes a black hole created by CERN to reduce the size of the earth to 3 across or eat up the planet from the inside out.
    I have read up on some of those theories. Obviously I have no clue what could or couldn't happen, but some excellent theorists have said that black holes are made all around us all the time, just near the plank scale (which would be the size they'd make at the LHC) and black holes actually don't "suck things in" according to these people.

The warning from that dude is just a little scary. I mean, the physics community has been wrong before, and they'd only have to get this wrong once. It's the mushroom rule. They all taste great the very first time …

This is absolutely hilarious on creating black holes, the big bang, and LHC

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Cleveland Clinic Performs Its First In Utero Fetal Surgery

Let’s turn our attention to medical science.

Cleveland Clinic has successfully performed its first in utero fetal surgery to repair a spina bifida birth defect in a nearly 23-week-old fetus.

During the fetal repair surgery, a caesarean section-like incision is made and the mother’s uterus is exposed. An ultrasound is then used to locate the placenta and fetus. The uterus is opened 4.5 cm and the back of the fetus is exposed, showing the spina bifida lesion. The surgeons then carefully suture several individual layers of tissue (myofascia, dura and skin) in order to cover the defect. After the uterus is closed back up, the fetus remains in the womb for the remainder of the pregnancy and is ultimately born by caesarean section.
    https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org...fetal-surgery/
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

So as I was driving home from dance class on Monday night, I looked up at the sky and thought I saw a shooting star. I finally got around to researching if it was a shooting star or if it was just a reflection of some lights in the car playing a trick on me. Turns out it was a meteor!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...meteor-storms/
    I think it's funny that from the hardcore stargazer perspective, Monday was a disappointment, but from my perspective, it was an amazing event!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    So as I was driving home from dance class on Monday night, I looked up at the sky and thought I saw a shooting star. I finally got around to researching if it was a shooting star or if it was just a reflection of some lights in the car playing a trick on me. Turns out it was a meteor!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...meteor-storms/
    I think it's funny that from the hardcore stargazer perspective, Monday was a disappointment, but from my perspective, it was an amazing event!
    We live out in the country, five miles from a very small town. It is not wilderness-level nigh-sky, but it is still very good "night-sky" compared to where most people live.

All it takes is one night far away from lights and one will immediately understand why the ancients were obsessed with tracking the stars and gave them such great importance. If there is no light around, the stars just SIT on top of you, they are everywhere, and unavoidable, you almost cannot get away.

The other night, I was driving home and the sun had just set, the far western horizon was pale blue while the rest of the sky had turned dark, and there were two bright bright "stars" (planets) right in the path of the sun. They were SO bright that it was almost comic book beautiful. As I got home I looked up that it was Venus and Jupiter. They looked right next to each other, kind of weird when you think about how - in your head - they're in the opposite direction.

I do like going outside and star gazing here. We planned on going out to watch the space station go over - if you ever do it, it'll be moving, you don't have that long to watch it go.
    Mark Twain.

NASA is testing an alien-hunting, upside-down underwater rover in Antarctica. It's one of several plans to explore 2 ocean worlds for signs of life.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa...worlds-2019-11

NASA scientists are dropping an upside-down underwater rover into the icy oceans of Antarctica.
    The robot, called the Buoyant Rover for Under-Ice Exploration (BRUIE), is a prototype of the rover that could search for life in frozen alien oceans.

It's part of NASA's plans to explore the secret oceans of two distant icy moons, Europa and Enceladus. NASA plans to launch the next spacecraft to Europa in 2025.

These moons and this underwater rover are our best shot at finding alien life in the solar system.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    We live out in the country, five miles from a very small town. It is not wilderness-level nigh-sky, but it is still very good "night-sky" compared to where most people live.

All it takes is one night far away from lights and one will immediately understand why the ancients were obsessed with tracking the stars and gave them such great importance. If there is no light around, the stars just SIT on top of you, they are everywhere, and unavoidable, you almost cannot get away.

The other night, I was driving home and the sun had just set, the far western horizon was pale blue while the rest of the sky had turned dark, and there were two bright bright "stars" (planets) right in the path of the sun. They were SO bright that it was almost comic book beautiful. As I got home I looked up that it was Venus and Jupiter. They looked right next to each other, kind of weird when you think about how - in your head - they're in the opposite direction.

I do like going outside and star gazing here. We planned on going out to watch the space station go over - if you ever do it, it'll be moving, you don't have that long to watch it go.
    I regret not going out more to look at the stars when I was in college and away from the bigger cities. We went out once with a friend who was local and knew a good spot to stargaze. We're planning to take a little vacation in 2024 when a solar eclipse passes by a little North of here, so we'll make sure to look at the night sky out in the country too.
    We've seen a few planets from our house (and there's a ton of light pollution since we're right off of the interstate), so it shows just how bright they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Let’s turn our attention to medical science.

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org...fetal-surgery/
    I am sorry that I had missed this until now. Great stuff.

I spent my first two years out of college working in a med lab as a tech assisting with in-utero surgery of premie lambs.

That is amazing.
    Mark Twain.