Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: General Science Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I know I have said it before, but in general I don't believe in UFOs and aliens, BUT I can also believe that there is a lot that is being hidden. So while my imagination stops at ghosts being believable as far as the unknown, it's entirely plausible that there's more out there in the Galaxy (I just don't enjoy thinking that far outside the box).

I'll share an anecdote as well. I'm not sure how much others know about the history of flight before the Wright Brothers but a friend was doing research and learned about an earlier inventor, Gustave Whitehead. He flew (and crashed) several years before the Wrights, his craft even flew further and higher than the Wright flyer before hitting a building (which still stands, and I've probably looked at it a hundred times before I heard about it's significance). There's testimony that this guy was up in the air from eye witnesses including the chief of police!

My friend posted all of the evidence that he'd found including newspaper archives and police reports from the ensuing crash, and within a couple of days, he received a call from the FBI enquiring about what exactly he was doing with the information he found. If they are actively policing something that went on over a century ago, I can very much imagine there's a tight leash on any current conspiracies out there and it's being monitored exactly what is shared.
    There are also newspaper stories from the 1890s about "air ships" appearing in the area and hovering, then zooming off. One - and I swear it's true that the article appeared, that a newspaper had the story, not the subject, necessarily - had someone "strange looking" get off it and say he's from the North Pole.

There's another place in Texas that had a newspaper article - and no one questions that the article was real and ran in the late 1890s - that one of the "air ships" crashed into a farmer's windmill, the little town found a "victim" and had a small service to bury him. One guy was quoted as saying "One things for sure, the poor little feller was not of this world" - and everyone went back to work as if that wasn't some huge deal, just a sad thing he died, "not of this world" wasn't earthshaking.

As for the video of the "unknown" object, I seriously doubt it's from outer space or some other "world." I agree with you that it's likely U.S. military, 70 miles off the coast of San Diego is a place with a lot of military exercises. It does sound like something so advanced that pilots had no idea what it was. The fact that there's a warehouse in Las Vegas with UFO objects of unknown alloys is an interesting tid-bit.

The military industrial community has stuff that - direct quote - that "would make George Lucas drool" is one quote from the head of Lockheeds "Skunk Works" top secret program. Lots of just weird stuff. Who knows? Not us. Some people say that even if the tech is just human, they'd keep it out of people's hands bc the economy is so based upon, and reliant upon hydrocarbon industry that to introduce a new energy source, from wherever one wants to posit, that it would be far too disruptive to release it all at once. I can see that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Mars ice will help astronauts: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ronauts?tgt=nr

Martian ice has a thin skin. The newly discovered exposure of ice on steep banks suggests that the Red Planet’s ice sheets are buried by just a meter or two of soil, researchers report in Science January 12.

“What’s new and exciting here is that these ice sheets start quite shallowly,” says planetary scientist Colin Dundas of the U.S. Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Ariz. That could be good news for future astronauts hoping to use that water to drink, or to create oxygen to breathe or make fuel for returning spacecraft (SN: 1/20/18, p. 22)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sounds like you would have to do a fair amount of excavation before you could ski it.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Sounds like you would have to do a fair amount of excavation before you could ski it.
    Someone will find a way. If you're skied Afghanistan, and some have, they'll find a way.
    Mark Twain.

No way could I not post an article named: https://www.space.com/39361-monster-...uble-burp.html

Monster Black Hole Unleashes Messy Double 'Burp

Black holes are voracious eaters, but it also turns out they don't have very good table manners," Julie Comerford, an astronomer at the University of Colorado Boulder, said during a news conference at the event today. "We know a lot of examples of black holes with single burps emanating out, but we discovered a galaxy with a supermassive black hole that has not one but two burps." [The Strangest Black Holes in the Universe]
    "This new burp is actually moving like a shock wave — it's coming out very fast, and so it's kind of like a sonic boom of a burp," Comerford said, "whereas the gas to the south shows us an older burp that happens 100,000 years earlier before that newer burp."
    Mark Twain.

cool thread.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Thx, Reno. Many people have posted good things in here, my fav thread.

Close enough to science and an excellent article as public service. http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ear-bomb-plan/

Minutes to Live: When the Nuclear Push Alert Is Not a Mistake
    For this reason, officials say, the instinct to flee is a dangerous one to heed. “Previously what we’ve chosen to practice is evacuation—the fire alarm goes off, get out. It’s understandable—there’s a hazard, take action,” says Buddemeier. But a panicked, uninformed attempt to escape could prove even more deadly than the initial blast, as civilians risk unnecessary exposure to radiation and rescuers fail to grasp potentially lifesaving measures like the fact that they can safely move into the damage zone as long as they stay upwind of the fallout cloud. “That’s a big mental shift we’re trying to get people through. Just like a tornado, getting into the center of the building or down into the basement is much better than trying to outrun the fallout.”

The key is to get inside as quickly as possible. If you can shelter within ten to fifteen minutes, you can avoid the most damaging radiation. “What is a good shelter? Concrete, underground, center of the building if you have time,” Hawaii’s Miyagi says. “Get as low [in a building] as possible.” If you’re caught outside and survive the blast? Get inside and get naked. Simply removing your clothes eliminates 90 percent of radioactivity.

Moving millions or even thousands of people on such short notice would be logistically impossible, and would risk stranding them in situations far more dangerous than the ones they were fleeing. Similar reasoning guided the city of Houston’s refusal to evacuate residents in advance of Hurricane Harvey—plus, today’s cars are built with too much plastic to offer much protection against radiation
    Kind of a cool article. Basic gist is that a disaster is a disaster, and what you have planned for your Earthquake, Tsunami, Hurricane disaster will work almost just as well for terrorism or nuclear warhead.
    Mark Twain.

Huge news on cause of plague: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42690577#

Black Death 'spread by humans not rats'

But a team from the universities of Oslo and Ferrara now says the first, the Black Death, can be "largely ascribed to human fleas and body lice".

So we could construct models of the disease dynamics [there]."

He and his colleagues then simulated disease outbreaks in each of these cities, creating three models where the disease was spread by:

rats
    airborne transmission
    fleas and lice that live on humans and their clothes

In seven out of the nine cities studied, the "human parasite model" was a much better match for the pattern of the outbreak.

It mirrored how quickly it spread and how many people it affected.

"The conclusion was very clear," said Prof Stenseth. "The lice model fits best."

"It would be unlikely to spread as fast as it did if it was transmitted by rats.

"It would have to go through this extra loop of the rats, rather than being spread from person to person."
    Mark Twain.

Huge news on cause of plague: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42690577#

Black Death 'spread by humans not rats'

Very interesting.
    My friend that does the historical research posted some of the statistics for our county of the Spanish influenza outbreak and just how quickly it spread and the sheer numbers that were infected and dying within days of the initial victim were just astonishing. Sure medicine has come a long way in 100 years but I can't even imagine what it was like during the many plagues that hit with even more rudimentary medical knowledge.
    Apparently there's a theory out there that certain blood types had natural immunity to many of the sicknesses that have wiped out big swaths of the population.

Very interesting.
    My friend that does the historical research posted some of the statistics for our county of the Spanish influenza outbreak and just how quickly it spread and the sheer numbers that were infected and dying within days of the initial victim were just astonishing. Sure medicine has come a long way in 100 years but I can't even imagine what it was like during the many plagues that hit with even more rudimentary medical knowledge.
    Apparently there's a theory out there that certain blood types had natural immunity to many of the sicknesses that have wiped out big swaths of the population.
    It would be terrifying either way, but to have no idea as to the disease process and bacterial infection would make the world seem utterly random, and have people suffering tremendously while also wondering if they "did something" to deserve it. Very sad to picture, 3/4 of towns wiped out and all.
    Mark Twain.

Dedicated to Martin Centre Mad Man, for the nice shout-out on MBB

Some good news for a very serious problem, this whole article worth the time: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...itively-solved

The mystery of vanishing honeybees is still not definitively solved

Colony collapse disorder, or CCD, as the sudden mass honeybee losses were called, has faded in recent years as mysteriously as it began. It’s possible the disappearances could start up again, but meanwhile bees are facing other problems.

CCD probably peaked around 2007 and faded since, says Jeff Pettis, who during the heights of national curiosity was running the Beltsville, Md., honeybee lab for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s research wing. And five years have passed since Dennis vanEngelsdorp, who studies bee health at the University of Maryland in College Park, has seen a “credible case” of colony collapse.

“I think I know what happened,” says Pettis, now in Salisbury, Md., consulting on pollinator health. His proposed scenario for CCD, like those of some other veterans of the furor, is complex and doesn’t rest on a single exotic killer. But so far, no experiment has nailed the proof.
    Mark Twain.

Massive dust storms are robbing Mars of its water https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...t-storms-water

During one massive dust storm in 2006 and 2007, signs of water vapor were found at unusually high altitudes in the atmosphere, nearly 80 kilometers up. That water vapor rose within “rocket dust storms” — storms with rapid vertical movement — on convection currents similar to those in some storm clouds on Earth, says study coauthor Nicholas Heavens, an astronomer at Hampton University in Virginia.
    Previous studies have indicated that Mars, which was once covered in an ocean about 100 meters deep, lost the bulk of its water through hydrogen escape (SN Online: 10/15/14). But this is the first study to identify dust storms as a mechanism for helping the gas break away. The total effect of all dust storms could account for about 10 percent of Mars’ current hydrogen loss, Heavens says.
    Mark Twain.

Martian Sandstorm would be a good weed name, especially if it produced serious cottonmouth.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Martian Sandstorm would be a good weed name, especially if it produced serious cottonmouth.
    I'm just going to imagine little green men dancing to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post

And red eyes.
    Mark Twain.

There are quite a few volcano fans here, cool story https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...tion-100-years

Robots map largest underwater volcanic eruption in 100 years

n July 31, 2012, Maggie de Grauw looked out the window of her flight back to New Zealand after a holiday in Samoa and glimpsed a mysterious mass floating below. That mass turned out to be a raft of lightweight pumice rock, the product of an erupting under water volcano called Havre. The 2012 eruption turned out to be the largest of its kind in the last 100 years.And now, the pumice raft has become a crucial clue in revealing the eruption’s surprisingly complex nature.

But “what we found on the seafloor was almost entirely different from what we expected,”
    says Rebecca Carey, a volcanologist at the University of Tasmania in Australia. Havre challenges the reliability of the geologic record when it comes to big deep-sea eruptions.
    Although the Havre event was larger than the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, a similar type of volcano that shot a huge column of debris into the air, the seafloor data weren’t indicative of such a large eruption. “When you shoot a lot of material up into water, there’s resistance,” Carey says. “So you expect to see a lot of it deposited on the seafloor.” But using an old seafloor map of Havre and satellite data, Carey and her colleagues calculated that more than 75 percent of the material produced by Havre ended up in the 400-square-kilometer pumice raft. That raft eventually broke apart and washed up on Australian and other South Pacific beaches. Volcanic gases might have pushed debris to the surface, Carey speculates, but it’s impossible to pinpoint a cause.
    Mark Twain.

You know it's all about the title. "Most hellish eon" sounds like late July on the Gulf Coast. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...st-hellish-eon

Life may have been possible in Earth’s earliest, most hellish eon

Maybe Earth’s early years weren’t so hellish after all.

Asteroid strikes repeatedly bombarded the planet during its first eon, but the heat released by those hits wasn’t as sterilizing as once thought, new research suggests. Simulations indicate that after the first few hundred million years of bombardment, the heat from the impacts had dissipated enough that 10 to 75 percent of the top kilometer of the subsurface was habitable for mesophiles — microbes that live in temperatures of 20° to 50° Celsius. If so, the planet may have been habitable much earlier than previously believed.
    A Late Heavy Bombardment, if it occurred, would have been tougher for the microbes, because the heat wouldn’t have had time to dissipate with such a rapid barrage. But that just would have meant the habitable zone didn’t increase, the team reports; mesophiles could still have inhabited at least 20 percent of the top kilometer of subsurface.
    Mark Twain.

1st grader has a school science fair next week, so we've been busy conducting an experiment (he's doing "what caused the statue of liberty to turn green").

1st grader has a school science fair next week, so we've been busy conducting an experiment (he's doing "what caused the statue of liberty to turn green").
    Nice job! Sounds like fun. How do you set it up?
    Mark Twain.

Take 1:30 and look at the new 3-D image of the Universe, it is stunning:

Mark Twain.

Nice job! Sounds like fun. How do you set it up?
    We're using pennies, we did the experiment over 8 days, we wanted to see if reapplying vinegar would cause them to be more green than if we only treated once. We did 4 pennies for each day, and left 2 pennies dingy and polished 2 pennies first (vinegar+salt) then we sprayed with vinegar. Each day we only sprayed that day and the days after it, so day one was sprayed once, day 2 twice, etc. No real difference in reapplying, but there is a difference in shade of blue vs more green in the polished vs. dingy pennies.

But, the coolest discovery we made wasn't part of the experiment but for the display. I printed a picture of the statue for Grant to color and couldn't find a copper color crayons in his pack.
    Earlier in the day I was going through the box of miscellaneous school supplies we have to look for things we could use for his report, and I found my very old box of 96 crayons (this thing is so old it's when they had a contest to name the new crayons...yes, I dated it on the Crayola site to 1993!). I seemed to remember there being a copper color back then, but was having trouble finding it, I had to read the labels and there it was, in the 25 years since it was made, it had oxidated and I couldn't find it because it was greenish!
    We took pictures of it to include in the report!

We're using pennies, we did the experiment over 8 days, we wanted to see if reapplying vinegar would cause them to be more green than if we only treated once. We did 4 pennies for each day, and left 2 pennies dingy and polished 2 pennies first (vinegar+salt) then we sprayed with vinegar. Each day we only sprayed that day and the days after it, so day one was sprayed once, day 2 twice, etc. No real difference in reapplying, but there is a difference in shade of blue vs more green in the polished vs. dingy pennies.

But, the coolest discovery we made wasn't part of the experiment but for the display. I printed a picture of the statue for Grant to color and couldn't find a copper color crayons in his pack.
    Earlier in the day I was going through the box of miscellaneous school supplies we have to look for things we could use for his report, and I found my very old box of 96 crayons (this thing is so old it's when they had a contest to name the new crayons...yes, I dated it on the Crayola site to 1993!). I seemed to remember there being a copper color back then, but was having trouble finding it, I had to read the labels and there it was, in the 25 years since it was made, it had oxidated and I couldn't find it because it was greenish!
    We took pictures of it to include in the report!
    Sounds really cool. It is hard for me to even recall that the statue of liberty isn't supposed to be green.

Time to revisit our old friend Trappist 1: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...dly-atmosphere

Some of TRAPPIST-1’s planets could have life-friendly atmospheres

t’s still too early to pack your bags for TRAPPIST-1. But two new studies probe the likely compositions of the seven Earth-sized worlds orbiting the cool, dim star, and some are looking better and better as places to live (SN: 3/18/17, p. 6).

New mass measurements suggest that the septet probably have rocky surfaces and possibly thin atmospheres, researchers report February 5 in Astronomy & Astrophysics. For at least three of the planets, those atmospheres don’t appear to be too hot for life, many of these same researchers conclude February 5 in Nature Astronomy.

TRAPPIST-1 is about 40 light-years from Earth, and four of its planets lie within or near the habitable zone, the range where temperatures can sustain liquid water. That makes these worlds tempting targets in the search for extraterrestrial life (SN: 12/23/17, p. 25)
    Mark Twain.

Here's a quick youtube video of the Nazca Lines.

https://youtu.be/FRNNjbBCGMI

Default Chicxulub Crater

The dinosaur killer

https://youtu.be/5qJPTjMnwNk

Nice job, 23. Love them.
    Mark Twain.