• Markburn1
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2015

Thanks for the assist Will.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Wow, so it's the Intractable encroach of the demand for immediate YouTube while driving down the interstate that might mush-up doppler radar.

Just as Mark described, I shoulda' known it was more complicated than I thought.

OTOH, there literally IS too much money at stake in weather accuracy that I think it could push back 5G if necessary, and then they can work on other means to pick up the water vapor …

I have no idea what I'm talking about. But the story about what happened with Sandy is totally enlightening on my main point, they aren't going to let something interfere that much. Congress will have to step in or something, bc we literally cannot "afford" to not have that type of accuracy.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

I'm reading this right now

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Markburn1
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2015

In 1969, the Apollo 10 crew, inset left, ejected lunar module ‘Snoopy’ from the Apollo command module into orbit never to be seen again – or so they thought. It is possible that it has now been spotted.

"I was lost and now am found"

Would be really trippy if it had some kind of onboard recording device.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post

I bet it is fascinating. Oppenheimer, Teller, Einstein, never was there more sheer brainpower applied to any one thing. And, they knew the horror of the fact that it had to be applied to a weapon.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                I bet it is fascinating. Oppenheimer, Teller, Einstein, never was there more sheer brainpower applied to any one thing. And, they knew the horror of the fact that it had to be applied to a weapon.
                They, along with Fermi, Szilard, and Bohr were also all of Jewish origin and saw or, for many of them, directly experienced Hiltler's anti-Semitism. That experience motivated them as well.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Markburn1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2015

Any explosive revelations?

Comment

• kitzbuel
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                    Any explosive revelations?
                    Earth shattering

or should I say element shattering.
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

Earth shattering

Yeah. Curious. Do you think nuclear science is a net plus or a net minus for humankind?

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Earth shattering

Speaking of which.

Remember when LIGO measured those 2 black holes colliding?

The collusion added the solar masses of the 2 individual black holes together, minus 3 solar masses, 3 suns, that "exploded" (though one of more pressure than heat) into pure energy.

So you take those atom bombs, and they are the result of the splitting of the nucleus of uranium/plutonium, and now hydrogen, into such incredible force that it can wipe out 50 mile patches of Earth, and then ask yourself how much energy is that compared to 3 "suns" in one instant.

I just keep trying to get my head around that and have real trouble.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

I listened to this as I went to sleep last night. Unlike most philosophers of science, David Chalmers stays so grounded in reality that I find him much easier to listen to. Most of them get so esoteric that I wonder how they even take themselves seriously.

This is really good, though you'd need to do it in stages or later in the evening.

And, btw, as much as I love the "Talks at Google" series, I often see these as nothing much more than Google saying to us: "See how rich we are? We can afford to simply pay cool people to come give talks to our employees, because we can, and you can't, so we do. "
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• Markburn1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            I listened to this as I went to sleep last night. Unlike most philosophers of science, David Chalmers stays so grounded in reality that I find him much easier to listen to. Most of them get so esoteric that I wonder how they even take themselves seriously.

This is really good, though you'd need to do it in stages or later in the evening.

And, btw, as much as I love the "Talks at Google" series, I often see these as nothing much more than Google saying to us: "See how rich we are? We can afford to simply pay cool people to come give talks to our employees, because we can, and you can't, so we do. "
                            Kind of a throwaway. Two minutes in I was fascinated by the curtains. I don't know what it says about my consciousness, but those curtains represent the Google logo.

Carry on. Back to the talk.

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                              Kind of a throwaway. Two minutes in I was fascinated by the curtains. I don't know what it says about my consciousness, but those curtains represent the Google logo.

Carry on. Back to the talk.
                              I spent the first five minutes trying to figure out if his accent was Irish, Scottish or Australian. He's Australian, but I swear he sounds more Irish than any Aussie I have met.

It's also frustrating that he's accomplished so much and so well-respected and only 4 years older than me. They're not paying me to come talk at Google, yet.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

• Markburn1
                                Zag for Life
                                • Oct 2015

First reaction. Why is he there? At Google, I mean. He spoke of algorithms mostly in connection to artificial intelligence. I'll be honest, that scares the #### out of me. From my perspective, artificial intelligence is an extension of the designer's consciousness which may not reflect my consciousness and more importantly, at least to me, my values.

I'm more inclined to believe that consciousness is independent of the physical world. He can point out all the brain functions, synapses, senses, etc., but the thought processes that are used to interpret all of that seem wholly independent. He seems to be identifying a problem and then creating a problem in order to solve the first problem. Which neuron snapped on that one?

He doesn't explore in any depth the existence of a soul. For example, I believe everyone is born with a sense of what is right and wrong and that sense becomes modified by external factors. However, even with those modifications deep down a person knows the difference. I also believe people are cognizant of a higher power and it takes an extraordinary amount of denial and behavior modification to claim otherwise. That type of consciousness is separate from the physical world, in my opinion.

The most interesting part for me were the statements of absurdity from the illusionist and the non illusionist. And I tend to agree with both. Haha.

Very entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X