Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: General Science Thread

Irresistible.

I cannot stop thinking about what scientists call "The Hard Problem," where consciousness arises from.

I find the idea of "consciousness" being fundamental to the universe and living things simply tap into it, absolutely irresistible.

If feeds spirituality, and I like when science can shed some fundamentalism and embrace bigger pictures.

Like everything else, I'm lucky to understand only a third of this, but it's a fascinating 1/3rd.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Irresistible.

I cannot stop thinking about what scientists call "The Hard Problem," where consciousness arises from.

I find the idea of "consciousness" being fundamental to the universe and living things simply tap into it, absolutely irresistible.

If feeds spirituality, and I like when science can shed some fundamentalism and embrace bigger pictures.

Like everything else, I'm lucky to understand only a third of this, but it's a fascinating 1/3rd.

Looking forward to this. Maybe tonight I'll have time.

Default Playing with fire...er, black holes.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...xperiment.html

Are we doomed? I don't think so, but....

I can't get the article to let me copy and paste excerpts, but the speculation is fascinating. In one scenario it describes a black hole created by CERN to reduce the size of the earth to 300 feet across or eat up the planet from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...xperiment.html

Are we doomed? I don't think so, but....

I can't get the article to let me copy and paste excerpts, but the speculation is fascinating. In one scenario it describes a black hole created by CERN to reduce the size of the earth to 3 across or eat up the planet from the inside out.
    I have read up on some of those theories. Obviously I have no clue what could or couldn't happen, but some excellent theorists have said that black holes are made all around us all the time, just near the plank scale (which would be the size they'd make at the LHC) and black holes actually don't "suck things in" according to these people.

The warning from that dude is just a little scary. I mean, the physics community has been wrong before, and they'd only have to get this wrong once. It's the mushroom rule. They all taste great the very first time …

This is absolutely hilarious on creating black holes, the big bang, and LHC

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.