Thread: What about Grace Collett?

Default What about Grace Collett?

"Grace is unconventional but very effective and extremely creative and mobile for an athlete of her height and length. She can handle the ball in the open floor like a guard, pass off either hand and is a one-woman block party at the rim defensively." Interesting quote from a foxsportspulse.com article.....

The off season is to long....googled Grace Collette....she seems Standish like maybe not the athlete but still athletic....doesn't have Kayla's "O" game but few ever will....she could develop an effective offensive game while at Gonzaga....in the mean time she rebounds, passes, plays "D" and blocks shots....could be a pleasant surprise if she earns the PT....

Here's my starting 5....if it were up to me...

Smith, Tinkle, Barta, Collette and Wolfram....devastating on offense....the length to play tough zone "D"....

Of course Elle & Emma have to be healthy and Grace has to earn the PT....they would be a tough 5 to handle for anyone...

just my opinion...what do you think?

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

Honest question--is Smith considered a PG, or a combo at least?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post

Here's my starting 5....if it were up to me...

Smith, Tinkle, Barta, Collette and Wolfram....devastating on offense....the length to play tough zone "D"....

Of course Elle & Emma have to be healthy and Grace has to earn the PT....they would be a tough 5 to handle for anyone...

just my opinion...what do you think?

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    First and foremost, we need to remember that NCAA D-1 players are bigger, faster and stronger than the typical HS player. Grace has an advantage playing with the Junior National Team and the WNBL Boomers. She should be better prepared than most to handle the rigors of D-1 play. I don't see her starting Day 1 at the first exhibition game unless we have some injuries.

Secondly, I have never seen Chandler play. I heard she played point at Brewster but do not know if she played point at Nebraska. If she did not play point at Nebraska, I would assume she would not start at point at the beginning of the year. Possibly later in the year after she gets some experience. Stockton is a proven commodity, and if Chandler has not had the experience of running the point of a D-1 team, I am not sure I would upset the apple cart at least at the beginning of the season. Based on the players we have at the various positions, I see Chandler doing a lot like Barta did in the beginning of last year. Not starting but coming off the bench very early and if her play dictates, starting a little later in the year.

I agree that Barta is probably a better fit at 3 than at the 4, although she looked pretty good at the 4 last year. It would help Tinkle to stay more healthy at the 2 where she would play very well. Based on what little we have seen from Mak (last year's open house), I would ascertain that Mak is a better long range shooter than Ellie. Given the player dysfunction at times last year I would assume that Lisa would put her most experienced players on the floor, at least to start the year. So it would not surprise me to see TInkle, Wolfram and maybe even Kudron on the floor as part of the initial starting five.

With your assumption that Wolfram and Tinkle are healthy, I think my starting five at the beginning of the season would be as follows:

Stockton at point, Mak at the 2 guard, Tinkle at the 3, Barta at the 4 and Wolfram at the 5.

I certainly think that as the course of the year progress, there will be changes made (not only do to injuries) based on how the players fit together. We have numerous players that can play at 2, 3 or even 4 positions and they may shift around to find the best fit. If Grace is great defensively but needs work offensively, put her in at the 5 and move Emma to the 4 as she is very offensively minded. We don't give up much height at the 5 and most likely have a huge height advantage at the 4 with Emma. As noted earlier, Barta is probably a better 3 than a 4, and Kudron who never did live up to LF's on-going compliments about her offense would be better suited for the 4. Tinkle and Chandler could play the 1 (if needed),2 or 3. Mak could play the 2 or 3 positions, and we have not even mentioned, Emma S., Zykera, Zhane or Jessie. Assuming no injuries and a cohesive team, we have lots of options and the ability to go far.

Looking forward to a great rebound from last year.

ZagDad

Interesting...

I can see a number of options. You can go big or small... You can go with quick and fast. I would hope the coaching staff would look at the talent they have and get the players to buy into being part of these sets.

As for the FR, hopefully we have the talent and health to give them a year...
    I have heard a lot about Maks shooting but not a lot about the rest of her game...
    I want to see Laura with 7 to 10 assists a game.
    I can see Jill at the 5 with Kiara at the 4.
    I can see Wolf getting a little time to get back into it after a year off.
    I would like to see Zykera in a speed set.
    With the 2 and 3s, whoever is hot getting the most time...
    I am excited to see Chandler play... I think she could fit into any of the sets at a number of positions.
    I want the seniors to lead by example.
    I want to see a shut down defense!
    I want to see Lisa become a game coach and to bring the team together as a Zag family playing for each other.

And most of all, I want to see the team ready to play EVERY GAME!

I guess I'm sitting in an arm chair...

Go Zags!!

Had to edit myself after doing some fact checking. Averaging 10 or more assists per game is pretty rare. Sloot was the last to do it in '10-'11. Before that the last was '02-'03. I looked at all the statistical leaders going back about 15 years. Usually the national leader is somewhere in the 8-9 apg range, but a number of years it was under 8. So anyway averaging 10 apg isn't impossible, but it's asking a heck of a lot. 7 apg would be a really solid number for Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    First and foremost, we need to remember that NCAA D-1 players are bigger, faster and stronger than the typical HS player. Grace has an advantage playing with the Junior National Team and the WNBL Boomers. She should be better prepared than most to handle the rigors of D-1 play. I don't see her starting Day 1 at the first exhibition game unless we have some injuries.

Secondly, I have never seen Chandler play. I heard she played point at Brewster but do not know if she played point at Nebraska. If she did not play point at Nebraska, I would assume she would not start at point at the beginning of the year. Possibly later in the year after she gets some experience. Stockton is a proven commodity, and if Chandler has not had the experience of running the point of a D-1 team, I am not sure I would upset the apple cart at least at the beginning of the season. Based on the players we have at the various positions, I see Chandler doing a lot like Barta did in the beginning of last year. Not starting but coming off the bench very early and if her play dictates, starting a little later in the year.

I agree that Barta is probably a better fit at 3 than at the 4, although she looked pretty good at the 4 last year. It would help Tinkle to stay more healthy at the 2 where she would play very well. Based on what little we have seen from Mak (last year's open house), I would ascertain that Mak is a better long range shooter than Ellie. Given the player dysfunction at times last year I would assume that Lisa would put her most experienced players on the floor, at least to start the year. So it would not surprise me to see TInkle, Wolfram and maybe even Kudron on the floor as part of the initial starting five.

With your assumption that Wolfram and Tinkle are healthy, I think my starting five at the beginning of the season would be as follows:

Stockton at point, Mak at the 2 guard, Tinkle at the 3, Barta at the 4 and Wolfram at the 5.

I certainly think that as the course of the year progress, there will be changes made (not only do to injuries) based on how the players fit together. We have numerous players that can play at 2, 3 or even 4 positions and they may shift around to find the best fit. If Grace is great defensively but needs work offensively, put her in at the 5 and move Emma to the 4 as she is very offensively minded. We don't give up much height at the 5 and most likely have a huge height advantage at the 4 with Emma. As noted earlier, Barta is probably a better 3 than a 4, and Kudron who never did live up to LF's on-going compliments about her offense would be better suited for the 4. Tinkle and Chandler could play the 1 (if needed),2 or 3. Mak could play the 2 or 3 positions, and we have not even mentioned, Emma S., Zykera, Zhane or Jessie. Assuming no injuries and a cohesive team, we have lots of options and the ability to go far.

Looking forward to a great rebound from last year.

ZagDad
    Well thought out....Smith is a gem if she's anything like she was in high school....she can play 1-3 she has the handles to play point....Collette is an athlete....her skill set and size will hold her competitive in every situation....her conditioning and adapting to D1, as you pointed out, may limit her floor time....but....that will pass....Barta at the 3, Colette at the 4 and Wolfram at the 5....or switch Emma and Grace as you suggested.....that should concern any coach in the country....add in a healthy Elle Tinkle and yes I'll stick with Smith....of course my opinion is of the player that she was in high school....I have to believe that player is in there somewhere. It's the Go Big Lineup

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

To summarise...three suggested lineups....

Barta at the 3, Colette at the 4 and Wolfram at the 5....or switch Emma and Grace as you suggested.....that should concern any coach in the country....add in a healthy Elle Tinkle and yes I'll stick with Smith...

My turn...

Thanks for the great discussion...can't wait for the season to arrive.

I love the suggestions but I may have to throw a healthy dose of reality into the mix. Sorry friends but there is no way our coaching staff is going to start the year off thinking "lets try something new". If anything they are probably thinking... "what would be the safest route to start". Can't really blame them but this mind set killed us last year.

My starters.

1. Laura - This one I will guarantee. We may have better options, and I stress the thought may, but there is no way our staff is going to start with them. Despite the love on the forum for others, get real folks. Just too much going on other than floor performance here.

2. Jill - another guarantee. Last year teams could shut her down with increased focus during and at the end of games because our options were too limited. Good luck this year.

3. Elle - see above...guarantee is still in place.

4. Emma W. - This kid can play but unfortunately injuries have hit her hard. Loved her performance during 2014 2015 run. With the injury bug out of the way she could be a big who will score regularly.

5. Emma S. - Not ready to guarantee this one but our coaches have had many, many, opportunities to go a new direction here and have not yet so I have no reason to believe they will start now.

Off the bench...

Kiara - Given the coaching propensity to error on the side of safety, she may play ahead of Emma W to start the season but it wont last.

Mak - For us to have a player under scholarship for a year and a half to have on the court for one year... she must be great. Can't say I know much more other than she was great at fanfest.

Chandler - Agreed she was great in high school and I am sure she will contribute.

Grace - No substitute for height, she will be out there.

Zykera - Playing time will hopefully grow consistently as her opportunities become more plentiful.

Zhane - I see her time on the court becoming sparse this year and IMO her time on the court last year was inflated given her performance.

Jesse - Love to see her out there but...

Can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyzaga View Post

I love the suggestions but I may have to throw a healthy dose of reality into the mix. Sorry friends but there is no way our coaching staff is going to start the year off thinking "lets try something new". If anything they are probably thinking... "what would be the safest route to start". Can't really blame them but this mind set killed us last year.
    Ladyzaga:

Can't disagree with anything you wrote and your concern is the same as mine.

We start the season in the Paradise Jam with 2 out of the 3 games against very high caliber opponents (Michigan and Florida State). If we want any chance at winning at least one of these games, we need to be better than we were last year. If we go into this tournament with the same attitude and coaching approach we had at the WCC tournament and the NIT tournament we will be lucky to be in the games against Michigan and Florida State let alone win one or more.

As you noted, the current coaching staff has shown a reluctance to change and this has hurt us tremendously. If we do well in the Paradise Jam we could be off to great things this year. If we get our behind handed to us at the start of the year, it could be a long season. We need to come out ready to play and change on the fly to suit that individual game.

I think we will see very early what kind of team and coaching staff we can expect to have this year.

ZagDad

As for Laura and 7 to 10 assists a game, I want her to be another Sloot... with good floor vision followed by a great pass. With a number of players that can score (hopefully), a good point guard needs to average 5 to 7 assists per game. She has a father that looked pass first... would like to see daughter like father.

Another thing this team needs is more than one go-to player. With the game on the line, we need options...

This coaching staff has had a couple of years now together. I'm hoping for quicker adjustments during a game...

Not long now... Go Zags!!

you can't have both Wolfie out there and Grace...one must stay in reserve to give the other a break .....Elle starts...Jill Starts...Laura starts...I think Mac should start, just out of emotion....

I do not want to see much of Emma S this year....she did not earn any of her vast playing time last year and this year we have more options..

I want Zykera out there a lot...and Zhane too...

I want an up tempo game, no plodding....I want quick players and players that are aggressive...

I want the guards to take chances more on steals...

I want the team and the coaches to take every single game as the most important game of the year....

the team came back from 17 down last year but what we don't remember is that we gave up a 17 point lead to WV .....lets talk about consistency....

I don't know where kiara fits in...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    you can't have both Wolfie out there and Grace...one must stay in reserve to give the other a break .....Elle starts...Jill Starts...Laura starts...I think Mac should start, just out of emotion....
    Actually you can have Grace and Emma W. on the Court at the same time. We have five (5) people who can play the 4 and 5 positions on the court; Emma W., Grace, Kiara, Jill and Zykera. All except Grace have already played the 4 and 5 positions last year. Each of these ladies brings a different benefit(s) to the game.

Do we want to go big? Do we want to go quick? Do we want to go defensive? Do we want to pour on the offense? Each of these schemes may require a different group of people playing the #4 and 5.

I don't think the team can "afford" to keep anybody in reserve if we want to be successful. We need to put the best five (5) players on the court who produce the best for that particular game and toss out the egos. I think most of us agree that LF and her staff were perhaps, at least in my opinion, more than a little slow in making changes to the line-up. This hurt the team and was reflected in our won-loss record. We cannot be scared of making those changes if we want to be successful this year.

Only a couple of months to the preseason jam.

ZagDad

Happy to see all the comments on how this year's team looks so I may as well put some thoughts out there.

Zagdad is correct that Wolfe and Grace can be on the floor at the same time. In fact as the season rolls on I would expect that. This year's team is very versatile as far as positions go. I believe there will be quit a few different starting lineups early on. Reminder that both Wolfram and Ellie are coming off surguries and may not be 100% right away. I believe that with Mac and Chandler avaiable this year we should really be able to shoot the ball from the outside which should open up the middle for the bigs. Also will keep teams from being able to only focus on Jill.

Was able to speak with Zykera earlier this month and she sounded very excited for this year. She said that the coaches and her have put in a zillion hours working on her game. She can't believe how much it has changed since she got to GU. Hope she has a great year. Someone mentioned that Grace is very athletic and I agree. Watched her in some pickup games and she can get up and down the floor quickly.

My starters for this year if all are recovered and ready to go.

1. Stockton
    2. Mac
    3. Ellie
    4. Jill
    5. Emma W.

Although most on this board seem dissapointed in how our coaches responded last year I'm not one of them. I think last year it was what it was. There just was not much to change too. There is no way to really know if not changing would have affected the one lose record or not. This year we have the players to make changes. I think you will see LF go with who is playing the best. You have a team that is hungry to get back on top.

Only a couple of more months. Can't wait.

Ok. I can't stand it any longer.

MODS - Can you please correct the spelling of Grace's last name in the title of this thread. Every article I have found on the internet from Australia spells her last name COLLETT, not Collette.

Even the WBB roster on gozags.com spells it incorrectly. They are currently showing it spelled as Collet. (But the paragraph on her bio in the roster does finally spell it correctly.)

Other than the typo, this is truly an excellent thread. Well thought-out posts. Thanks Bigblahla for starting it and thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. 5 stars.

I have noticed that Grace has not been on the road trips or setting on the bench at the game. Does anybody know what her prognosis is after getting her walking boot off?

Grace has been home in Australia. Had heard she was homesick...then Coach Lisa said she was home for family reasons on her show tonight. And that Grace is on her way back to GU now. Sounds like she'll be with the team this week.

from her radio show, LF said that Grace on top of her injury had a death at home and is just now back from Australia....when asked about redshirting, LF was hesitant but stated that a lot of foreign players don't want to extend their stay and would rather not red shirt, and LF isn't even sure that Grace would qualify...

Grace gave us quality minutes when she played....I know its late in the season, but realistically, we have several more weeks of games....I'm hoping that Grace is able to play....even if she only gets in a few minutes here and there, its good for her exp plus its good for our team...