Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any real news?

Default Any real news?

It's been weeks, nay months, since a hearty report on CURRENT GU players. Enough already with 2019 recruiting, internecine PNW rivalries and play in the dreary, walk through the motions Olympics, what is the current crop up to? Hello? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    That made my head explode.

Not much Jazz. School starts next week. Kids move in. Players on campus and no injuries. Karnos getting better. We're a top 10 team in my view. Big with sharpshooters.

Boy, it does seem like a dearth of news out there .... Twitter feed is pretty near empty, google searches draw a blank.... Yikes!

A few more weeks..........it'll get busy. No news of much going on anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    A few more weeks..........it'll get busy. No news of much going on anywhere.
    I guess the "no news is good news" dictum will have to suffice, if not comfort, eh Doc?

Neither Karno or JWIII have not been able to participate this off-season in 5 on 5 play, full contact, or scrimmaging.

Both are doing individual drills, some 1 on 1 or 2 on 2, lifting, FT's, light conditioning, etc.

They are expected to be cleared soon, more precautionary than anything.

JWIII did have a knee injury this Spring that was 50/50 on surgery vs self-rehab. He elected rest/rehab/healing. Seems to be on track, yet something to keep an eye on.

NWG elected the same type of therapy/treatment with his foot; however, this required surgery after sitting out for 6 wks. Did not heal on his own.

I honestly view JWIII the most important newcomer of the bunch, not necessarily the most dominant, but certainly most important. I feel the Coaches would concur. HUGH presence on the boards, defense, blocks, rebounding, and underrated scorer. One of those plug-n-play players you can count on every practice, every game to do it all. Fills in the blanks b/w players like Karno & Collins.

He MUST stay healthy, maybe moreso than any other. Most will see what I mean as the season progresses.

Raise the Zag, sir, I was willing to overlook the double negative in your first sentence, but then later you said JWIII did have knee surgery this Spring and then that he elected rest/rehab/healing, meaning he did not have the surgery?

I love your posts and I'm just kidding about the double negative punctuation police comment, but the JWIII thing is an honest question.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Raise the Zag, sir, I was willing to overlook the double negative in your first sentence, but then later you said JWIII did have knee surgery this Spring and then that he elected rest/rehab/healing, meaning he did not have the surgery?

I love your posts and I'm just kidding about the double negative punctuation police comment, but the JWIII thing is an honest question.
    Jon did not have surgery. Decided on rest, and hoping for the best. Seems to be healing on schedule.

I was wondering if they had the retreat this summer like they did last year. I thought it was a great idea, and we saw how tight last year's team was and how much they cared about each other. There were some cool pics of the team at the retreat last summer. I also wonder what the conditioning program for the team has been over the summer, if any? I seem to remember seeing pictures of that last year, showing them running up some stairs on some street in Spokane...I remember how tough it looked. I also remember many pictures last summer of them having a lot of fun together and doing things together that were fun. I've not seen much of that this summer. Is this team going to be a different team that way? Maybe because there are so many transfwers that it's going to be different. But I do agree with Jazz. It's been the most boring forum in summertime since I've joined GUBoard.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I recall all that stuff happening the summer before Kevin and Gary's senior season.....It may have happened last year, but I don't remember it if it did...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I recall all that stuff happening the summer before Kevin and Gary's senior season.....It may have happened last year, but I don't remember it if it did...
    This year's team is close and energetic, yet not nearly as tight as last few years. A LONG way to go in the chemistry department, from what ive heard. To be expected with all the new faces and stiff competition. Kind of cut throat for playing time at certain positions than years prior, where it was decided before season began. Wiltjer & Pangos were terrific at getting guys together and having fun. This squad is a bit disjointed with cliques, but they will come together as the season goes on...maybe closer than ever before when its all said & done. 3 new international players, 2 new transfers, 2 new frosh, etc. No clear cut team leader to rally the troops. Karnowski is probably closest in terms of what Pangos, Wiltjer, McClellan, et al brought last few yrs.

Hey, all of you! Aren't we supposed to live in the moment? NADA when it's comes to the ZAG's, We just can't wait, can we?
    Just can't get 'um off our minds! Ain't it great having something GOOD to look forward to........if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    This year's team is close and energetic, yet not nearly as tight as last few years. A LONG way to go in the chemistry department, from what ive heard. To be expected with all the new faces and stiff competition. Kind of cut throat for playing time at certain positions than years prior, where it was decided before season began. Wiltjer & Pangos were terrific at getting guys together and having fun. This squad is a bit disjointed with cliques, but they will come together as the season goes on...maybe closer than ever before when its all said & done. 3 new international players, 2 new transfers, 2 new frosh, etc. No clear cut team leader to rally the troops. Karnowski is probably closest in terms of what Pangos, Wiltjer, McClellan, et al brought last few yrs.
    Cliques? Such as?

"This squad is a bit disjointed with cliques" < bad word to use. Conjures up a dysfunctional team. Gosh I almost choked on my coffee. Is this the right word?? As you know, we hang on every word. We could make a 6 page discussion over 1 word. Say it ain't so!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    "This squad is a bit disjointed with cliques" < bad word to use. Conjures up a dysfunctional team. Gosh I almost choked on my coffee. Is this the right word?? As you know, we hang on every word. We could make a 6 page discussion over 1 word. Say it ain't so!! lol
    It's my belief that the word "cliques" was inappropriately used. There are guys that know each other, and guys that don't know each other (yet). The guys that don't know each other are all arriving under different circumstances .... but they all have one thing in common .... they WANT to be Zags and they understand what it takes to be a Zag.

I do not believe that "team chemistry" or "cliques" will be an issue when all is said and done.

clique
    klēk,klik/Submit
    noun
    a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Cliques? Such as?
    Hard for a "KCM" to question a "ZFL," but I think you've underestimated Karnowski while, granted, still giving him favorable mention.
    I think Karno is absolutely perfectly positioned, primed and ready to lead the ZAG's. Not that he will be the only one,
    just the one who can provide the best combination of experience, drive, leadership and maturity. This will be, as you've said, a young and diverse group. Karno is the only real constant in the bunch. The leadership role naturally falls on and to him. I'm Confident he'll come through. As another poster often says, "In Karno I Trust."

My understanding of chemistry is that it is what happens on the basketball floor and involves making the plays that make others on your team more effective. Of course it's better for teammates to be friends than not, but not necessarily essential for good team basketball. Shouldn't matter that much if the players like the same music or play video games together, share social and political views or whatever.

This team has outstanding guards with high basketball IQ's in NWG and Perkins to run the show, as well as a center with a point guard IQ (hope he's healthy). I have no doubt we'll see the usual well coached, cohesive basketball we're used to seeing, as anybody who doesn't buy in and play the system effectively and unselfishly won't see the floor with this much depth of talent.

Maynard's right about chem on the floor, glances that set up entire plays, like a good band. But, lots of times that starts out with guys that have been around each other a lot and want to do more. Kevin/Gary wanted other guys involved so bad they might have done it to a fault in some games.

I think they should do the retreat every year. The athletic dept has the money (one sport does it, all should have option, but that still seems very doable) and the investments might pay off in big returns.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

JWill3 should be very similar to what some of us remember in Mr. Violette, though maybe a better defender. That's my impression.

Don't underestimate the 'Power of Rem'. The Force is strong with that one…he is a master chemist of all things team.

I'm assuming that they didn't have the retreat. I suppose too many people were away for the summer. Yet, on the other hand there is still time for a retreat. I hope they have one, and I totally believe things like this help. I believe there is a difference between cohesiveness and chemistry

Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Jimmer Fredette giving Perkins some pointers in a workout.

Josh Perkins Retweeted
    Eric Valerio ‏@valerio32 2h2 hours ago
    @jimmerfredette passing down knowledge to the young fellas @EricGarcia_3 @JoshPerk13 post workout

Default Hey, its August for Pete's sake.

You have a long basketball season ahead. This is the time to be resting up, enjoying vacation and down time before the season starts. You have to learn to pace yourself. This is prime lake season, especially if you live in the Inland Northwest. Labor Day and the end of summer are almost here.