Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 414

Thread: any other hikers here?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Tex--I know Texas is a huge state, so being in one part of it doesn't necessarily make you very close to other parts of it, but have you checked out Big Bend or Guadelupe Mountains National Parks? I haven't been there, but they look intriguing. I was quite surprised when I first figured out there are 7 and 8 thousand foot peaks in Texas.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Zion and Bryce Canyon are both beautiful. So photogenic. Just point your camera in any direction and something good will probably happen.

    I've certainly heard plenty of raves about Cinque Terre. I've never been to Europe, so many places there worth visiting. I'm not a world traveler at all, only other country I've been in is Canada. British Columbia and Alberta are littered with top notch hiking destinations, I've only scratched the surface of what our northern neighbor has to offer.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Zion and Bryce Canyon are both beautiful. So photogenic. Just point your camera in any direction and something good will probably happen.

    I've certainly heard plenty of raves about Cinque Terre. I've never been to Europe, so many places there worth visiting. I'm not a world traveler at all, only other country I've been in is Canada. British Columbia and Alberta are littered with top notch hiking destinations, I've only scratched the surface of what our northern neighbor has to offer.
    I'm dying to visit Banff someday.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    I'm dying to visit Banff someday.
    Love Banff.

    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Tex--I know Texas is a huge state, so being in one part of it doesn't necessarily make you very close to other parts of it, but have you checked out Big Bend or Guadelupe Mountains National Parks? I haven't been there, but they look intriguing. I was quite surprised when I first figured out there are 7 and 8 thousand foot peaks in Texas.
    I'll get my shot at Big Bend next year. One of my many nieces is getting married in San Marcos, and we'll be there for a week. I'm going to take another week to head down to Big Bend after that.

    While the kiddos are tubing in the Brazos, I'll be taking a couple of trips to Fredericksburg for several winery visits.

    Been to Guadalupe Mountains many times, they're just a couple hours from El Paso. If you ever get out there, you must include McKittrick Canyon in your itinerary.



    Although I don't recommend hiking it, a trip on the Moki Dugway is worth the visit to an isolated area. If you like camping in rugged areas, Goosenecks State Park is right up your alley.




  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,825

    Default

    Tex, I remember " When we were Young" , among other things you had to run a mile and a half in something like 11 minutes to be on a hot shot crew...... I don't recall if that was in shorts or in fire line clothes and a with a pack.... ???

    At that age it was probably a breeze....

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Tex, I remember " When we were Young" , among other things you had to run a mile and a half in something like 11 minutes to be on a hot shot crew...... I don't recall if that was in shorts or in fire line clothes and a with a pack.... ???

    At that age it was probably a breeze....
    I remember a firefighter training exercise when I was in college. It was basically, go up a steep hill for half a mile with five gallons of water strapped to your back. Airborne School was a breeze compared to that.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    I hiked to Tonga Ridge on Friday. It was rainy, but it was a fun hike. The rain felt good after near 100 degree temps in Texas last week.

    Bring back the OCC

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,090

    Default

    Mt. San Antonio, aka Mt. Baldy, this Saturday. It'll be my third time hiking it. At 10,064ft it is the highest point in L.A. County
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    Mt. San Antonio, aka Mt. Baldy, this Saturday. It'll be my third time hiking it. At 10,064ft it is the highest point in L.A. County
    Have fun! I just looked it up, looks like a good hike.
    Bring back the OCC

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Have fun! I just looked it up, looks like a good hike.
    Should be, as long as this heat wave ends today/tomorrow. FYI here's Mt Baldy in the wintertime with LA in the foreground:
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    7,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    Mt. San Antonio, aka Mt. Baldy, this Saturday. It'll be my third time hiking it. At 10,064ft it is the highest point in L.A. County
    Damn, I thought the highest point in LA County was Tommy Chong's house.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Damn, I thought the highest point in LA County was Tommy Chong's house.
    That may still be the case.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    I hiked up Yellow Aster Butte today. It was beautiful.

    Views of Mount baker throughout the hike



    Peak on the right is in US and peak on the left is in Canada.



    Summit Beer

    Bring back the OCC

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I hiked up Yellow Aster Butte today. It was beautiful.

    Views of Mount baker throughout the hike



    Peak on the right is in US and peak on the left is in Canada.



    Summit Beer

    That looks amazing. I miss hiking in the PNW.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    That looks amazing. I miss hiking in the PNW.
    Don't forget the super tasty Fremont!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Nice, YAB is another of my favorites (I have A LOT of favorites). Did you happen to drop down to the lakes below the Butte? Also continuing beyond the lakes on an up and down ridge towards Tomyhoi Peak is fun. I've seen ptarmigan all over that trail more than once.

    edited to add--that area gets some really good fall colors

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    I got some larch action near Cle Elum and Leavenworth last weekend.

    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...402&highlight=

    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...404&highlight=

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Nice pictures!
    Bring back the OCC

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Nice, YAB is another of my favorites (I have A LOT of favorites). Did you happen to drop down to the lakes below the Butte? Also continuing beyond the lakes on an up and down ridge towards Tomyhoi Peak is fun. I've seen ptarmigan all over that trail more than once.

    edited to add--that area gets some really good fall colors
    I responded to this, but it seems to have disappeared. We did not make it to Tonyhoi, but did check out the lakes. Some of them were surprisingly deep.
    Bring back the OCC

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I responded to this, but it seems to have disappeared. We did not make it to Tonyhoi, but did check out the lakes. Some of them were surprisingly deep.
    I've always gone straight down to the lakes, and then on towards Tomyhoi Peak depending on how I felt. Last year was the first time I ascended to the top of the actual namesake Butte. I like the view down to Tomyhoi Lake you get from there. This is random, but in addition to ptarmigan and the commonly seen critters like marmots and pikas, I've also seen a coyote and a black bear way off in the distance up there.

    The whole Mt. Baker Hwy is a very target rich environment for some great hiking. Ptarmigan Ridge is superb! Lake Ann, Skyline Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, Winchester Mtn/High Pass, Hannegan Pass/Peak (and for a fantastic backpacking loop continuing on to Whatcom Pass and Copper Ridge) are all good. I've only done it once but Nooksack Cirque was something completely different and pretty cool. And there are several trails out there I haven't done yet. People living in Bellingham are pretty lucky having all of that in their backyard.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,090

    Default



    From the top of Mt. Baldy on Saturday. I'm still sore.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post


    From the top of Mt. Baldy on Saturday. I'm still sore.
    very nice
    Bring back the OCC

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    I think October and November got flip flopped this year. What incredible weather we've been having so far this month! Usually by now hiking season is winding down and I'm shifting to lower elevation destinations and just getting out less often overall. I've snuck in a few trips getting up over 5 and 6,000 ft. with minimal snow, places I normally wouldn't be heading this time of year.

    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...700&highlight=
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...740&highlight=

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I think October and November got flip flopped this year. What incredible weather we've been having so far this month! Usually by now hiking season is winding down and I'm shifting to lower elevation destinations and just getting out less often overall. I've snuck in a few trips getting up over 5 and 6,000 ft. with minimal snow, places I normally wouldn't be heading this time of year.

    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...700&highlight=
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...740&highlight=
    Wow! I can only imagine how nice the air is.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •