Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

Tex--I know Texas is a huge state, so being in one part of it doesn't necessarily make you very close to other parts of it, but have you checked out Big Bend or Guadelupe Mountains National Parks? I haven't been there, but they look intriguing. I was quite surprised when I first figured out there are 7 and 8 thousand foot peaks in Texas.

Zion and Bryce Canyon are both beautiful. So photogenic. Just point your camera in any direction and something good will probably happen.

I've certainly heard plenty of raves about Cinque Terre. I've never been to Europe, so many places there worth visiting. I'm not a world traveler at all, only other country I've been in is Canada. British Columbia and Alberta are littered with top notch hiking destinations, I've only scratched the surface of what our northern neighbor has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Zion and Bryce Canyon are both beautiful. So photogenic. Just point your camera in any direction and something good will probably happen.

I've certainly heard plenty of raves about Cinque Terre. I've never been to Europe, so many places there worth visiting. I'm not a world traveler at all, only other country I've been in is Canada. British Columbia and Alberta are littered with top notch hiking destinations, I've only scratched the surface of what our northern neighbor has to offer.
    I'm dying to visit Banff someday.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    I'm dying to visit Banff someday.
    Love Banff.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Tex--I know Texas is a huge state, so being in one part of it doesn't necessarily make you very close to other parts of it, but have you checked out Big Bend or Guadelupe Mountains National Parks? I haven't been there, but they look intriguing. I was quite surprised when I first figured out there are 7 and 8 thousand foot peaks in Texas.
    I'll get my shot at Big Bend next year. One of my many nieces is getting married in San Marcos, and we'll be there for a week. I'm going to take another week to head down to Big Bend after that.

While the kiddos are tubing in the Brazos, I'll be taking a couple of trips to Fredericksburg for several winery visits.

Been to Guadalupe Mountains many times, they're just a couple hours from El Paso. If you ever get out there, you must include McKittrick Canyon in your itinerary.

Although I don't recommend hiking it, a trip on the Moki Dugway is worth the visit to an isolated area. If you like camping in rugged areas, Goosenecks State Park is right up your alley.

Tex, I remember " When we were Young" , among other things you had to run a mile and a half in something like 11 minutes to be on a hot shot crew...... I don't recall if that was in shorts or in fire line clothes and a with a pack.... ???

At that age it was probably a breeze....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Tex, I remember " When we were Young" , among other things you had to run a mile and a half in something like 11 minutes to be on a hot shot crew...... I don't recall if that was in shorts or in fire line clothes and a with a pack.... ???

At that age it was probably a breeze....
    I remember a firefighter training exercise when I was in college. It was basically, go up a steep hill for half a mile with five gallons of water strapped to your back. Airborne School was a breeze compared to that.

I hiked to Tonga Ridge on Friday. It was rainy, but it was a fun hike. The rain felt good after near 100 degree temps in Texas last week.

Bring back the OCC

Mt. San Antonio, aka Mt. Baldy, this Saturday. It'll be my third time hiking it. At 10,064ft it is the highest point in L.A. County
    Steven Wright

Mt. San Antonio, aka Mt. Baldy, this Saturday. It'll be my third time hiking it. At 10,064ft it is the highest point in L.A. County
    Have fun! I just looked it up, looks like a good hike.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Have fun! I just looked it up, looks like a good hike.
    Should be, as long as this heat wave ends today/tomorrow. FYI here's Mt Baldy in the wintertime with LA in the foreground:
    Steven Wright

Damn, I thought the highest point in LA County was Tommy Chong's house.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Damn, I thought the highest point in LA County was Tommy Chong's house.
    That may still be the case.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I hiked up Yellow Aster Butte today. It was beautiful.

Views of Mount baker throughout the hike

Peak on the right is in US and peak on the left is in Canada.

Summit Beer

Bring back the OCC

I hiked up Yellow Aster Butte today. It was beautiful.

Views of Mount baker throughout the hike

Peak on the right is in US and peak on the left is in Canada.

Summit Beer

That looks amazing. I miss hiking in the PNW.
    Steven Wright

That looks amazing. I miss hiking in the PNW.
    Don't forget the super tasty Fremont!

Nice, YAB is another of my favorites (I have A LOT of favorites). Did you happen to drop down to the lakes below the Butte? Also continuing beyond the lakes on an up and down ridge towards Tomyhoi Peak is fun. I've seen ptarmigan all over that trail more than once.

edited to add--that area gets some really good fall colors

I got some larch action near Cle Elum and Leavenworth last weekend.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...402&highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...404&highlight=

Nice pictures!
    Bring back the OCC

Nice, YAB is another of my favorites (I have A LOT of favorites). Did you happen to drop down to the lakes below the Butte? Also continuing beyond the lakes on an up and down ridge towards Tomyhoi Peak is fun. I've seen ptarmigan all over that trail more than once.

edited to add--that area gets some really good fall colors
    I responded to this, but it seems to have disappeared. We did not make it to Tonyhoi, but did check out the lakes. Some of them were surprisingly deep.
    Bring back the OCC

I responded to this, but it seems to have disappeared. We did not make it to Tonyhoi, but did check out the lakes. Some of them were surprisingly deep.
    I've always gone straight down to the lakes, and then on towards Tomyhoi Peak depending on how I felt. Last year was the first time I ascended to the top of the actual namesake Butte. I like the view down to Tomyhoi Lake you get from there. This is random, but in addition to ptarmigan and the commonly seen critters like marmots and pikas, I've also seen a coyote and a black bear way off in the distance up there.

The whole Mt. Baker Hwy is a very target rich environment for some great hiking. Ptarmigan Ridge is superb! Lake Ann, Skyline Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, Winchester Mtn/High Pass, Hannegan Pass/Peak (and for a fantastic backpacking loop continuing on to Whatcom Pass and Copper Ridge) are all good. I've only done it once but Nooksack Cirque was something completely different and pretty cool. And there are several trails out there I haven't done yet. People living in Bellingham are pretty lucky having all of that in their backyard.

From the top of Mt. Baldy on Saturday. I'm still sore.
    Steven Wright

From the top of Mt. Baldy on Saturday. I'm still sore.
    very nice
    Bring back the OCC

I think October and November got flip flopped this year. What incredible weather we've been having so far this month! Usually by now hiking season is winding down and I'm shifting to lower elevation destinations and just getting out less often overall. I've snuck in a few trips getting up over 5 and 6,000 ft. with minimal snow, places I normally wouldn't be heading this time of year.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...700&highlight=
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...740&highlight=

I think October and November got flip flopped this year. What incredible weather we've been having so far this month! Usually by now hiking season is winding down and I'm shifting to lower elevation destinations and just getting out less often overall. I've snuck in a few trips getting up over 5 and 6,000 ft. with minimal snow, places I normally wouldn't be heading this time of year.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...700&highlight=
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...740&highlight=
    Wow! I can only imagine how nice the air is.