Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

I went for my first hike this year after the governor opened things up. It felt so good to be on a hike again. It felt almost normal.

Bring back the OCC

I love this thread. I hike the Dishman Hills in Spokane nearly every day but I'd love to get out and do more adventurous stuff like I see on here.
    Agent provocateur

That's great gu03! Looks lovely. Where is that?

I hadn't gotten out hiking for a while before the world changed, so it's been a long time for me. Maybe soon.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That's great gu03! Looks lovely. Where is that?

I hadn't gotten out hiking for a while before the world changed, so it's been a long time for me. Maybe soon.
    Mineral City up the north fork of the skykomish river
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    I love this thread. I hike the Dishman Hills in Spokane nearly every day but I'd love to get out and do more adventurous stuff like I see on here.
    You definitely should
    Bring back the OCC

On Friday I hiked up to Central Peak in Squak Mountain State Park. I had never been there before. It was a really nice hike and I socially distanced with my sister and cousin afterward and couple of beers. It was great.

On Sunday I woke up early (around 5) and couldn't fall back to sleep. So I decided to head up to Mailbox Peak and got there around 7. There were about 5 cars in the parking lot. On the way up it rained the whole way. I passed an older gentleman in mountaineering boots and a large backpack. I was passed by a couple of hikers who were moving pretty fast and toward the top I had a few people run by me on their way down. At the top, it was still raining so I put on my rain jacket and gloves and enjoyed a 930 AM summit beer. There were two other people at the top. I headed back down and on the way back down I must have passed 100 people on their way up. Almost no one had face covering. I wore a bandana around my neck and pulled it over my nose and mouth whenever I passed people. I had a couple of redheaded hillbillies pretend cough when I went by. I don't know in what reality people live in that would think that was funny. At Squak, nearly every hiker we encountered had face covering so I guess I was a little surprised to see it so different at mailbox. I don't really care that much since we are outside and most people looked away when we passed and were super cool. On the other hand, trails kind of force you to come into close contact with other hikers. I don't know what the right answer is.

When I got back to the parking lot around 1130 there were more cars than parking spots. When a spot became open there were three cars trying to take it with lots of honking and yelling. I took my time getting cleaned up because why should I rush for someone showing up at one of the most popular trails in Western Washington just before noon of a weekend and expecting a spot. I didn't go slow either though because I was glad to get out of that mess. I can't wait for the national forests to open up so we have more options though many of those trails are buried in snow I assume.
    Bring back the OCC

Wow, sounds like a s*** show. I still haven't ventured out yet.

I have never hiked Mailbox, probably never will. Have only done some of the mega popular trails like Si and Rattlesnake Ledge a couple times over a 25 year or so period. I hike plenty of popular trails, but there are some I'm perfectly contented with not bothering with.

Wow, sounds like a s*** show. I still haven't ventured out yet.

I have never hiked Mailbox, probably never will. Have only done some of the mega popular trails like Si and Rattlesnake Ledge a couple times over a 25 year or so period. I hike plenty of popular trails, but there are some I'm perfectly contented with not bothering with.
    I like mailbox because it is 4,000 foot elevation gain over 5.5 miles. It's a very good for training. I might be going to climb Whitney in a few weeks and I'm going to attempt Shasta again at the end of June. I have been running a lot, but hiking a lot of elevation seems to be the best training I can think of.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I like mailbox because it is 4,000 foot elevation gain over 5.5 miles. It's a very good for training. I might be going to climb Whitney in a few weeks and I'm going to attempt Shasta again at the end of June. I have been running a lot, but hiking a lot of elevation seems to be the best training I can think of.
    Good luck with Whitney! My brother did it a couple times while he was stationed at Edwards AFB, he enjoyed it. Once via the main trail and the other time was a scramble route. I haven't done much climbing in Cali. Kind of on a whim I scrambled up the descent route of Cathedral Peak. I was backpacking w/ my bro that time. He thought it sounded cool so the next day we went up there together before we packed up and headed out. Also hit Clouds Rest, that's pretty much a walk up. I think that's it for my peak bagging in CA.

I agree with you about training. Nothing prepares you for hiking up steep trails better than...hiking up steep trails.

done Whitney twice....fun hike...not that tough....done Rainier twice both times tough .....weather was brutal.

good luck and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    done Whitney twice....fun hike...not that tough....done Rainier twice both times tough .....weather was brutal.

good luck and enjoy
    Back when I was young and in shape I day-hiked Rainier. I had been living in Wyoming though and doing lots of hikes down in Colorado above 14 not to mention living at 7200 ft.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

"Back when I was young & in shape" I tried to day hike Whitney after being in Florida for the previous 10 months. Altitude got me at 10K. A nap followed & then pushed on up to the John Muir trail (12K+?) but by then my buddies had summitted & were on there way down. That was disappointing.

These days the drive up to the trail head would probably do me in.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

good luck and enjoy
    I climbed Whitney two years ago from the back side taking the PCT to the John Muir trail to the top. This year we are going to attempt the mountaineering route, probably the same scramble route that Seacat's brother did. From what I read it will be 6,000 feet over 4.5 miles so I think this route will be tough for me.

I have never done Rainier. I think in a few years I will pay a guide service to attempt The Mountain.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    "Back when I was young & in shape" I tried to day hike Whitney after being in Florida for the previous 10 months. Altitude got me at 10K. A nap followed & then pushed on up to the John Muir trail (12K+?) but by then my buddies had summitted & were on there way down. That was disappointing.

These days the drive up to the trail head would probably do me in.
    The mountains that I have had to turn around are the ones I think about more than the ones I have climbed.
    Bring back the OCC

I climbed Whitney two years ago from the back side taking the PCT to the John Muir trail to the top. This year we are going to attempt the mountaineering route, probably the same scramble route that Seacat's brother did. From what I read it will be 6,000 feet over 4.5 miles so I think this route will be tough for me.

I have never done Rainier. I think in a few years I will pay a guide service to attempt The Mountain.
    I think it's called the Mountaineers Route IIRC. Probably Class 3, ropes not required. I think my brother ran into a bit of hard packed snow or ice in some steep spots that made things spicy. Can't remember what time of year it was. His partner might've bailed out at some point and he ended up soloing it I seem to recall. It's been quite a few years. His first time was a walk up from the east side, with about 1,000 switch backs (maybe slight exaggeration). He said it was cool being able to say he did it, but it wasn't necessarily that much fun while he was grinding his way uphill.

The mountains that I have had to turn around are the ones I think about more than the ones I have climbed.
    I've had fairly mixed results on the volcanoes. Not that many attempts. Successfully summited Adams and Glacier Peak on my only attempts. Turned back on my only tries at Rainier and Hood. Topped out on South Sister, that's a volcano but less of a serious climb than those others.

My true nemesis is Monte Cristo Peak. I think 4 attempts. Got within several hundred feet of the summit once but never got there. Gave up on it eventually.

I've had fairly mixed results on the volcanoes. Not that many attempts. Successfully summited Adams and Glacier Peak on my only attempts. Turned back on my only tries at Rainier and Hood. Topped out on South Sister, that's a volcano but less of a serious climb than those others.

My true nemesis is Monte Cristo Peak. I think 4 attempts. Got within several hundred feet of the summit once but never got there. Gave up on it eventually.
    I have climbed Adams and South Sister also. Glacier Peak would be super cool, but man it is a long hike just to get there. Damn, Monte Cristo looks like it requires some class 5 climbing according to summitpost. I probably won't be attempting that one.

The one I have had most failed attempts is Mt St Helens. I have climbed it once and turned around twice. The mountains that i would really like to take another shot at are Stuart, Shasta, and Seven Finger Jack. I had issues with my crampons on Stuart. Stuart was a little scary too. I ran out of gas on shasta. I'm going to try it again at the end of June. I couldn't find the route to the top of Seven Finger Jack. After reading Beckey's description I was so close and feel kind of stupid I didn't make it to the top. I think I would like to try Mt Prophet again, but man that was a lot of bushwacking and I didn't really get that close to the top.
    Bring back the OCC

I have climbed Adams and South Sister also. Glacier Peak would be super cool, but man it is a long hike just to get there. Damn, Monte Cristo looks like it requires some class 5 climbing according to summitpost. I probably won't be attempting that one.

The one I have had most failed attempts is Mt St Helens. I have climbed it once and turned around twice. The mountains that i would really like to take another shot at are Stuart, Shasta, and Seven Finger Jack. I had issues with my crampons on Stuart. Stuart was a little scary too. I ran out of gas on shasta. I'm going to try it again at the end of June. I couldn't find the route to the top of Seven Finger Jack. After reading Beckey's description I was so close and feel kind of stupid I didn't make it to the top. I think I would like to try Mt Prophet again, but man that was a lot of bushwacking and I didn't really get that close to the top.
    I did Glacier before the White Chuck approach got wiped out, so it was shorter than the current main route via NF Sauk and White Pass. Even if you don't climb it, that area is gorgeous. A bit tedious getting to the pass, but lovely once you're up there and hit the PCT.

I never got to the rock climbing on the upper part of Monte Cristo. There is some steep snow climbing up out of Glacier Basin to the V-Notch or U-Notch. I used to be okay w/ soloing class 4 or low class 5, but I'm not nearly as bold as I used to be.

Never tried 7FJ, but I climbed its neighbor Maude. That was a fantastic view from the top.

I forgot, I had an unsuccessful attempt at Adams the first time, it was my 2nd attempt when I summitted. Also took me 2 tries on Stuart to succeed.

Last Sunday, I attempted Granite Mountain. I stupidly didn't bring my ice axe or hiking poles. I did have micro spikes. I got about halfway up a steep hill of snow and decided I was too underprepared to continue because if I slipped I wouldn't be able to stop myself for a long way. This is where I turned around.

This is the view behind me.

Pictures don't do the steepness justice, but maybe I was just being overly cautious. I had read that there was snow where there was snow, but in my memory of that hike I didn't think it was very steep. I would have bought poles, but mine are broken and I have some ordered. I always feel dumb when I bring my axe for a hike that doesn't need one. Oh well, I will try to be smarter next time.

Here is the view of Rainier from the hike.

Bring back the OCC

Yesterday, I went hiking with my sister at Perry Creek along the Mountain Loop Highway. It was a good hike with good weather. We had to cross a couple creeks. Holy crap that was cold. We went a little past the waterfall and were going to head up to a meadow a few miles and few thousand feet above. The trail disappeared into snow and this time we got bad information from trip reports that said there was no snow. I left my micro spikes at home and so did my sister so we turned around and had lunch at the creek. Afterward we enjoyed a couple of beers in the parking lot. It was a great day.
    Bring back the OCC

Hey GU03, the normal route for Granite is infamous for some bad avalanche chutes this time of year. Maybe you were following tracks on the winter route which is why it was steeper than you remember? Yeah, I can't count how many times I've brought an axe and didn't use it, but it's not that heavy and I definitely prefer having and not needing it rather than not having it and really wishing I did.

Perry Creek is a good one. Forgotten Meadows up above is nice.

I've been seeing some TRs for the Teanaway area showing quite a bit of bare ground, at least on south facing slopes. Usually a big difference between east side and west side of the mountains at this time of year.

Finally made my 2020 debut hike yesterday. My buddy wanted to do something mellow and I was down with that since it had been so long. We went up North Fork Skykomish. At about 3 miles is a junction, we took a left toward Pass Creek. There had been patchy snow off and on (surprising, since the trail started at around only 2000'). After the junction it was completely snow covered. I'd been able to sniff out the trail up to that point, but didn't even bother trying anymore. Just headed downhill, path of least resistance, and then homed in on the sounding of rushing water. Found the creek easily enough. Anyway it was nice getting out finally. Trail starts on reclaimed road, I generally don't enjoy that. But soon enough we were on real trail thru the woods, a few flowers out and plenty of birds calling. Only one other pair on the trail, they started about the same time we did but we got ahead of them and only saw them after we were heading back. Avoided getting rained on, there were some squalls on the drive back. Beckler River Rd. is pretty crappy, tons of potholes. I have a feeling that describes the current condition of almost every Forest Service road currently. Road maintenance isn't in the budget anymore, no more dumping loads of gravel and grading roads.

edit--oops, it's a right turn at the junction to go to Pass Cr., not left
    Last edited by seacatfan; 06-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Finally made my 2020 debut hike yesterday. My buddy wanted to do something mellow and I was down with that since it had been so long. We went up North Fork Skykomish. At about 3 miles is a junction, we took a left toward Pass Creek. There had been patchy snow off and on (surprising, since the trail started at around only 2000'). After the junction it was completely snow covered. I'd been able to sniff out the trail up to that point, but didn't even bother trying anymore. Just headed downhill, path of least resistance, and then homed in on the sounding of rushing water. Found the creek easily enough. Anyway it was nice getting out finally. Trail starts on reclaimed road, I generally don't enjoy that. But soon enough we were on real trail thru the woods, a few flowers out and plenty of birds calling. Only one other pair on the trail, they started about the same time we did but we got ahead of them and only saw them after we were heading back. Avoided getting rained on, there were some squalls on the drive back. Beckler River Rd. is pretty crappy, tons of potholes. I have a feeling that describes the current condition of almost every Forest Service road currently. Road maintenance isn't in the budget anymore, no more dumping loads of gravel and grading roads.
    That's great you got out for a hike and missed most of the rain. I went camping at Beacon Rock State Park this weekend and it rained nearly the entire time. Unfortunately the trail on beacon rock was closed too.

I agree about the roads. I am reading that the forest service is opening fully this week on Wa Hikers facebook page so hopefully road repair will be happening soon.
    Bring back the OCC

That's great you got out for a hike and missed most of the rain. I went camping at Beacon Rock State Park this weekend and it rained nearly the entire time. Unfortunately the trail on beacon rock was closed too.

I agree about the roads. I am reading that the forest service is opening fully this week on Wa Hikers facebook page so hopefully road repair will be happening soon.
    I grew up just a bit further east of Beacon Rock, in White Salmon.

Did you see the trailhead for Hamilton Mtn? It's on the opposite side of the highway as the namesake rock. I know Beacon has seasonal closures for raptor nesting, but Hamilton might be open? I know, too late now. Sorry about the weather.

I grew up just a bit further east of Beacon Rock, in White Salmon.

Did you see the trailhead for Hamilton Mtn? It's on the opposite side of the highway as the namesake rock. I know Beacon has seasonal closures for raptor nesting, but Hamilton might be open? I know, too late now. Sorry about the weather.
    It was open. My campsite was right next to that trailhead. I thought about hiking it, but it would have been by myself while my daughter played ipad in my truck to hide from the rain.
    Bring back the OCC