Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

I attempted Helens today. The snow was soft and the rain was hard. After getting out of tree line the wind was blowing pretty hard too. It was cold and it sucked. We kept going up to about 5,000 feet and decided to call it. I think if I hadn’t climbed the mountain I probably would have pushed for the summit.
    Bring back the OCC

That doesn't sound like any fun at all! After a generally nice March, the weather has gone to crap in April. I think that happens just about every year. You'd think I'd expect it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    That doesn't sound like any fun at all! After a generally nice March, the weather has gone to crap in April. I think that happens just about every year. You'd think I'd expect it by now.
    I stupidly took my family camping at Larrabee State Park on Thursday. It looked like the rain would quit at 7 and not rain much the rest of the weekend. The rain did not stop at 7 and I found out that my large family tent is not very waterproof. My daughter's sleeping bag and pad were soaked and there were puddles on the floor of the tent. At around 830, with the rain still coming down hard I decided to get a hotel room. We packed up things that needed to dry and headed to the hotel in Bellingham. We took our time going back to the camp the next day, hitting up a brewery for lunch. The new forecast showed rain starting in the middle of the night again so we decided to hang out at the camp while things dry and then took off around 5.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I stupidly took my family camping at Larrabee State Park on Thursday. It looked like the rain would quit at 7 and not rain much the rest of the weekend. The rain did not stop at 7 and I found out that my large family tent is not very waterproof. My daughter's sleeping bag and pad were soaked and there were puddles on the floor of the tent. At around 830, with the rain still coming down hard I decided to get a hotel room. We packed up things that needed to dry and headed to the hotel in Bellingham. We took our time going back to the camp the next day, hitting up a brewery for lunch. The new forecast showed rain starting in the middle of the night again so we decided to hang out at the camp while things dry and then took off around 5.
    Bummer about the weather. Neat park. Yeah I've never developed an affinity for camping in the rain. You gave it a good try anyway!

Last weekend had an outing w/ a buddy, can't exactly call it a hike. He's been wanting to try this for quite a while. We gave it a go but were unsuccessful. Too late in the year, too much brush. Needed to go earlier when it was snow covered. It's not a trail at all, starts on an abandoned, reclaimed road and then it's just bushwacking. Doesn't even officially have a name, but it has a nickname I've seen used on a hiking website--Slodal. It think it's Pt. 5470 on a map, the ridge immediately next to Bedal and Sloan (thus the nickname). We got a few views but not the prize close up shot of Sloan. It was kind of a miserable experience--character building I guess.

My Discover Pass is about to expire, so I headed to Wallace Falls SP again today. Did the loop from the top of the falls, along the logging road, Wallace Lake and down Greg Ball trail. Even threw in Jay Lake for extra credit. Pleasant day to be out.

Got in one last usage of the Discover Pass in April before it expired. Wandered around Larrabee State Park. Headed up past Fragrance Lake, was intending to go to Lost Lake but got a bit turned around. Some of the signage up there sucks. I ended up just short of it but did a decent lollipop loop anyway. Also played around at the beach there a little bit as well.

Last weekend had an outing w/ a buddy, can't exactly call it a hike. He's been wanting to try this for quite a while. We gave it a go but were unsuccessful. Too late in the year, too much brush. Needed to go earlier when it was snow covered. It's not a trail at all, starts on an abandoned, reclaimed road and then it's just bushwacking. Doesn't even officially have a name, but it has a nickname I've seen used on a hiking website--Slodal. It think it's Pt. 5470 on a map, the ridge immediately next to Bedal and Sloan (thus the nickname). We got a few views but not the prize close up shot of Sloan. It was kind of a miserable experience--character building I guess.

My Discover Pass is about to expire, so I headed to Wallace Falls SP again today. Did the loop from the top of the falls, along the logging road, Wallace Lake and down Greg Ball trail. Even threw in Jay Lake for extra credit. Pleasant day to be out.
    That sounds brutal. After doing a lot of bushwhacking on my attempt at Mt Prophet last year I don't think I want to do anymore bushwhacking.
    Bring back the OCC

I’ve climbed Whitney twice...June and July....Not May with snow.

Zag Alums to the rescue.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...stranded-over/

Wow, great story about the Zag Alums. As for the rescued party...Darwin was thwarted. They tried their hardest to get themselves killed but it didn't quite work out. I honestly had to quit reading the article about halfway thru. One dude had never used crampons before and didn't even open the package until they were at the trailhead, where he discovered they weren't actually crampons but only microspikes. Unbelievable. I bet he'd never used an ice axe before either. There's somewhat of a learning curve with equipment like that, you need to practice before you are actually in a situation where your life might depend on using it properly.

The forests are emerald green this spring....with some snow above 5000' .....

I do not know the circumstances..... but the violent attack on hikers on the Appalachian Trail is very sad and disturbing...… there is practically zero violent crime 6 miles into a roadless/wilderness area in the Pacific Northwest..... I suspect it was on a urban section of the trail...

I saw that Bart. Terrible story. Mental health issues and drug abuse. He had been harassing AT hikers for several weeks prior to killing someone. Seems like it should not have been allowed to get to that point, but it did.

On a happier note...

I've passed by Diablo/Ross Lake area many times while heading elsewhere. I decided to check out a couple hikes in that vicinity. Did Panther Creek to 4th of July Pass and Thunder Creek to Junction Camp. Panther Creek was lovely, thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit of a steep climb to start, then you lose pretty much all of the elevation you just gained, seemed kinda silly. But once the descent was done the trail follows the creek for probably at least 3 miles, I much appreciated that. The pass didn't have much of a view. The creek was definitely the highlight of the trail.

Thunder Creek trail, unfortunately, is barely ever within view of its namesake creek. There were a few nice spots. It got more interesting when it veered away from Thunder Creek and made a steep ascent along Fisher Creek. Once it leveled off the forest was lovely and I very much enjoyed that part. I was kinda tempted to keep going beyond my turn around point, but as it turned out I overdid it and kinda limped and slowly shuffled along most of the way back to the trailhead.

Saw a bear both days. Man I love it when I see a bear. Both ran off as soon as they saw me.

I did Mailbox Peak this morning for a workout. It was cold, wet, and windy, but it was nice to get outside. I have been itching to go outside, but work and stuff around my house keeps getting in the way.

Bring back the OCC

Wow, great story about the Zag Alums. As for the rescued party...Darwin was thwarted. They tried their hardest to get themselves killed but it didn't quite work out. I honestly had to quit reading the article about halfway thru. One dude had never used crampons before and didn't even open the package until they were at the trailhead, where he discovered they weren't actually crampons but only microspikes. Unbelievable. I bet he'd never used an ice axe before either. There's somewhat of a learning curve with equipment like that, you need to practice before you are actually in a situation where your life might depend on using it properly.

I read that story the other day. Good lord. Wiley just blew me away with his decisions. What was he thinking?
    Bring back the OCC

Nice gu03. I've still never done Mailbox, along w/ several of the other very popular I-90 area hikes.

I really like your 2nd photo. If it's not a sunny day, I dig that foggy/misty look thru the trees.

Nice gu03. I've still never done Mailbox, along w/ several of the other very popular I-90 area hikes.

I really like your 2nd photo. If it's not a sunny day, I dig that foggy/misty look thru the trees.
    I try to avoid those hikes too because of all the people, but I wanted something close (I needed to be home when my daughter got off the bus) and a good workout. Luckily, it was a weekday and bad weather so it wasn't too crowded.
    Bring back the OCC

In the bad old days Ira Spring and Harvey Manning's Trail Guides were very controversial....loved by those who wanted to get out and had no information about the trails and loathed by those that valued solitude ……

Now with the internet it is more and more difficult to avoid " crowds ". It helps if you are able to hike during the week and know where to go to avoid others...….I will simply not go back to a place if I have more than a couple encounters during a day hike....spoiled.... yup

I think finding hikes in Western Washington without any other people is pretty hard these days. When I climbed Chinook Peak it was people free after I left the PCT. That is the only hike I can think of in Western Washington where I didn't encounter another hiker.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I think finding hikes in Western Washington without any other people is pretty hard these days. When I climbed Chinook Peak it was people free after I left the PCT. That is the only hike I can think of in Western Washington where I didn't encounter another hiker.
    If I recall that weekend there was so much smoke from the Norse Peak fire that you couldn't see Mt Rainier ??? Even then the Park was so crowded there was a line of a couple dozen to get into the toilet at Tipsoo.

In order to avoid the crowds on the PCT I used the trailhead at Morse Creek and hiked in the early evening.....we might have passed in the dark .

The PCT is the worst thing that ever happened to the Pacific Northwest Wilderness Areas.....for a variety of reasons...

When I lived in Kirkland back in the 70's you could still find very remote and low use trails but I imagine those days are gone. I got used to the rain so I imagine I could get used to the crowds...

As you know in Chelan County you can avoid the tourist and the urban trails and during the week you can see more wildlife than people....

It's hard to find solitude, but not impossible. A number of factors. Being able to go during the week helps. Crappy weather helps. Sometimes you just get lucky and pick a hike where other people aren't on a particular day. Some trails are just always going to be mobbed. Like Mt. Si for instance, or pretty much anything else near I-90 on the west slope. There seems to be somewhat of a rotating basis of the "in" hike that changes every few years. Just check out WTA to see which one it is currently. When I did a couple hikes near Ross Lake last week, I saw 0 people on Panther Creek and I think only 3 people on Thunder Creek (1 NPS employee and a couple backpacking). Spread out over 18 or 20 miles I'd call that close to solitude. You just never know.

The absolute worst I can think of for me was around a year ago, day trip up to Camp Muir. We started early and it wasn't bad on the way up. The snowfield is huge and various parties got fairly spread out. On the way down, as we were nearing Paradise, it was insane. Hundreds of people on that trail system, passing others every minute or so, or even every few seconds. It nearly ruined what had otherwise been a really fun day.

I know we've discussed the PCT before Bart. I don't share your hatred of it. With it's nearly countless feeder trails, it presents all kinds of great opportunities for loops or traverses of various lengths. During the height of the thru hiker season it can definitely get crowded, but I've been on it at times and not seen anybody for mile after mile. I think the section right along Glacier Peak is awesome, I've hit it coming from Suiattle River, Lost Creek Ridge, North Fork Sauk, West Cady Ridge, Cady Ridge, Little Wenatchee River, Poets Ridge, Spider Gap/Cloudy Pass...

I've done a decent bit of it piece meal in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness as well.

I guess if you really don't like the PCT and the crowd it draws, the good news is the vast majority of thru hikers DO NOT STRAY off of the PCT, leaving miles and miles and miles of trails throughout Washington for us.

The other obvious way to leave much of the crowd behind is to go off trail. That of course requires that you feel confident w/ navigating and route finding, but it opens up an incredible amount of opportunities.

I do lament though that some of my favorite hikes have been swarmed the last 5 years or so, and they definitely didn't used to be that way. Gothic Basin and Hidden Lake Lookout/Peak are a couple that come to mind that have suffered that fate.

I have been looking forward to doing a few more hikes this year. I have been getting in to decent shape, able to do 10-15 mile runs now. The weather has just turned perfect for hiking in the Shenandoahs and soccer season is winding down so I was just starting to plan some hikes. All of the sudden, I was out running last weekend and felt my heel pull and tighten up; plantar fasciitis. I can hardly walk right now. Last time I had it it took a good 2-3 months to fully recover.

Ughh.

So I’m hoping it will be recovered enough by mid-July for our family trip to Estes Park and Wyoming. I want to take my kids on the hikes I did around there with my family as a kid.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The Wind River Range....more bears than people....Wyoming is where the Puzzle of the exploration of the West all came together for me from South Pass to the Green and the Snake and how they were the highways to the West....Go to Trappers Point around Pinedale where first Fur Rendezvous were held.... …..luv it....from Union Pass to the Lander Cutoff.....