• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
    Just one of those things that's been on my back burner for a long time. A bunch of lakes over there. Some big peaks that I think are mostly fairly easy scrambles or walkups. Some loop options for multiday adventures. Some of the trails you have to share with motorcycles though I think.
    It's funny, because my cousin suggested Wallaby Peak for a hike this week. I go to look it up in Washington Scrambles book and it is first one listed under Chelan Sawtooths. I will be hitting the area tomorrow. I read from Cliff Mass that the north cascades could have gotten a foot of snow last week at higher elevations. I think we are planning on turning around if we come across fresh snow so we may not summit on this trip.
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

I don't know about Chelan Sawtooths, but I'm definitely seeing pictures of multiple areas in the Cascades that have had a significant amount of fresh snow in the last week.

Comment

• gu03alum
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I don't know about Chelan Sawtooths, but I'm definitely seeing pictures of multiple areas in the Cascades that have had a significant amount of fresh snow in the last week.
        There was a lot of snow so we decided not to climb Wallaby. We did an easy hike in the snow to Cutthroat Lake instead. It was a really nice day, but surprisingly cold. The weather changed quick. The lake was mostly frozen and there was probably a foot of snow on the ground at the lake. I kind of wished we had continued on to Cutthroat pass. I had been there once before and it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. My cousin was content with hanging out at the lake and it was a really nice place to enjoy a beer and lunch.

Wallaby Peak in the peak to the left of the pass

Liberty Bell

This is a cool video of a first descent of Liberty Bell

LINK
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

Uh...I climbed Lib Bell back when I was a real climber. Ski descent off of it? Nope. Just nope. I watched the video. That's just a whole 'nother level.

I ran into the Hummel twins way back in the day. They were really into ski descents back then, probably claimed a number of firsts. At least one of them got into really hardcore long ski traverses later on.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

I'm not big on hiking at my age, 4-5 miles on fairly flat ground I can probably handle, as long as I don't drag a bag of sticks and balls along with me, but THIS hike, I find intriguing. It would be fun to get a group together, with arranged transportation at the finish line, and have a tasting hike.

Try this hoppy urban hike between Interbay and the Ballard Brewery District that passes 15 breweries in 5 miles

Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Uh...I climbed Lib Bell back when I was a real climber. Ski descent off of it? Nope. Just nope. I watched the video. That's just a whole 'nother level.

I ran into the Hummel twins way back in the day. They were really into ski descents back then, probably claimed a number of firsts. At least one of them got into really hardcore long ski traverses later on.
              that's really cool. I probably will never stand on top of Liberty Bell. back country skiing really intrigues me. I need to keep getting better at skiing. I have only been doing it for about 3 years. I can go down most blacks, but I want to keep building up to double blacks and comfortable on all blacks. Skiing down after climbing a mountain would be so much easier and more fun than walking or glissading down.
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                I'm not big on hiking at my age, 4-5 miles on fairly flat ground I can probably handle, as long as I don't drag a bag of sticks and balls along with me, but THIS hike, I find intriguing. It would be fun to get a group together, with arranged transportation at the finish line, and have a tasting hike.

Try this hoppy urban hike between Interbay and the Ballard Brewery District that passes 15 breweries in 5 miles

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/ou...istered%20User
                I went to Minneapolis with a friend and he said lets try to hit 15 breweries in one day. Without thinking, I said that would be pretty cool. I had 1 to 2 beers at each brewery and generally these were high alcohol IPAs or double IPAs. Long story short, I threw up in the Uber on the way back to the hotel. That cost me $150. The next day I had the worst hangover I can ever remember having. I think it lasted a couple of days too. I kept track of each brewery in my notes on my phone and we did hit 15 breweries.
                Bring back the OCC

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                  I went to Minneapolis with a friend and he said lets try to hit 15 breweries in one day. Without thinking, I said that would be pretty cool. I had 1 to 2 beers at each brewery and generally these were high alcohol IPAs or double IPAs. Long story short, I threw up in the Uber on the way back to the hotel. That cost me $150. The next day I had the worst hangover I can ever remember having. I think it lasted a couple of days too. I kept track of each brewery in my notes on my phone and we did hit 15 breweries.
                  Now you could do it in the comfort of your own car! LOL

I agree and understand how hard it would be to be able to actually enjoy what each brewery has to offer, even if one just had a single pint of 'their best (as determined by who).
                  The article came in my email and thought that it is about as close to hiking as I am willing to try at this stage of my life. Perhaps if Seattle developed a 'rickshaw' type service, we could each reserve on for the 5-6 hours the trip would take.
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                    Now you could do it in the comfort of your own car! LOL

I agree and understand how hard it would be to be able to actually enjoy what each brewery has to offer, even if one just had a single pint of 'their best (as determined by who).
                    The article came in my email and thought that it is about as close to hiking as I am willing to try at this stage of my life. Perhaps if Seattle developed a 'rickshaw' type service, we could each reserve on for the 5-6 hours the trip would take.
                    I think there is a rickshaw service in Seattle. At least those guys seem to appear at last call and after Mariners games.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I did a backpacking trip over the weekend to Ozette loop. We spent the first night at Cape Alava. You can have a fire there so my cousin and I both carried in a duraflame log. I brought a lot of luxuries since it is only 3 miles for each leg of the loop and my pack had to have been around 70 pounds. The beach was covered in rotting red kelp which meant the bugs and birds were thick on the beach. It rained most of the day, but we also brought some tarps and hung out under them. The rain quit around 7 or 8 and we were able to get a good fire going. The tide the next morning was supposed to be lowest until about 2 so had a pretty relaxing morning. We packed up and left around 11 to head south to Sandpoint. The bugs were thick on the beach but weren't too interested in us luckily. It was just very annoying. The day was really nice. I kind of wish I had brought shorts. We got to Sandpoint and there was no more rotting, stinky Kelp and no more swarms of bugs. The beach was sandy and beautiful. Tide was still low so we found a campsite, grabbed a couple beers, and headed out for a walk. Later we set up camp and then headed to a rock that you can hike to the top of so we could enjoy the sunset from a high point. It was a beautiful sunset. The moon was out early so it set early too. Fires are not allowed at Sandpoint, but it wasn't too cold. Plus I had brought an extra blanket so I used that while enjoying all of the stars. It was very clear night and lots and lots of stars. The next morning we packed up and headed back to our cars. Almost from the start we were behind a small deer slowly grazing off the vegetation along the trail. We had to follow her for nearly a half mile before she finally left the trail. She wasn't scared of us at all. I should mention the hike in and out of the beach is really cool too. It is through rainforest and much of it is on boardwalks.
                      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Fun, the Ozette triangle is a good one. No raccoons? I've done that loop several times and never have found the famous pictographs. Haven't looked real hard, but I haven't stumbled onto them.

Comment

• gu03alum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Fun, the Ozette triangle is a good one. No raccoons? I've done that loop several times and never have found the famous pictographs. Haven't looked real hard, but I haven't stumbled onto them.
                          My cousin and I looked for them and didn't find them either, but we were looking at the map and I think we were at the wrong rocks. I saw lots of raccoon tracks in the sand, but didn't actually see any. We did see some bear tracks in the sand too and there were a lot of signs warning of a bear in the area, but fortunately didn't see any bears either.
                          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

I've seen raccoons, deer, eagles (lots of eagles!) along the Olympic coastal strip, but haven't seen a bear there.

Didn't really do much in the way of hiking, but spent last weekend on the Oregon Coast at Lincoln City w/ my folks. Got in a series of short beach walks. Gorgeous weather.

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I've seen raccoons, deer, eagles (lots of eagles!) along the Olympic coastal strip, but haven't seen a bear there.

Didn't really do much in the way of hiking, but spent last weekend on the Oregon Coast at Lincoln City w/ my folks. Got in a series of short beach walks. Gorgeous weather.
                              That sounds really nice. We rented a house on the washington coast for 5 days next week. I am so looking forward to relaxing walks on the beach with the family.
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

On Friday, I got my daughter going on virtual school and decided I would go for a hike. I settled on hiking up granite mountain again because the trailhead isn't hard to get to and my wife had my truck. Snow started around 3900 feet. There was maybe 6-9 inches of snow on the backside of the mountain. I was in thick fog for most of the hike. At probably around 4800 feet I got above the clouds. It was pretty spectacular. Sun was warming and could see very far with mountains peaking out of the clouds in all directions. But it would only last for like 10 minutes and then clouds would blow up and over the mountain and you could see anything again. The clouds would stay for a while and then burn off and it would be sunny again. At the summit, I got lucky and it was clear the whole time up there, probably about 30-40 minutes. It was dark coming down the mountain. I think the fog had gotten thicker and there was less light. I considered turning on my headlamp even though I was back at my car by 330.

Most of the hike was like this

The view from the summit

Rainier on the left of the picture

Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                                X