Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: any other hikers here?

Fun, the Ozette triangle is a good one. No raccoons? I've done that loop several times and never have found the famous pictographs. Haven't looked real hard, but I haven't stumbled onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Fun, the Ozette triangle is a good one. No raccoons? I've done that loop several times and never have found the famous pictographs. Haven't looked real hard, but I haven't stumbled onto them.
    My cousin and I looked for them and didn't find them either, but we were looking at the map and I think we were at the wrong rocks. I saw lots of raccoon tracks in the sand, but didn't actually see any. We did see some bear tracks in the sand too and there were a lot of signs warning of a bear in the area, but fortunately didn't see any bears either.
    Bring back the OCC

I've seen raccoons, deer, eagles (lots of eagles!) along the Olympic coastal strip, but haven't seen a bear there.

Didn't really do much in the way of hiking, but spent last weekend on the Oregon Coast at Lincoln City w/ my folks. Got in a series of short beach walks. Gorgeous weather.

I've seen raccoons, deer, eagles (lots of eagles!) along the Olympic coastal strip, but haven't seen a bear there.

Didn't really do much in the way of hiking, but spent last weekend on the Oregon Coast at Lincoln City w/ my folks. Got in a series of short beach walks. Gorgeous weather.
    That sounds really nice. We rented a house on the washington coast for 5 days next week. I am so looking forward to relaxing walks on the beach with the family.
    Bring back the OCC

On Friday, I got my daughter going on virtual school and decided I would go for a hike. I settled on hiking up granite mountain again because the trailhead isn't hard to get to and my wife had my truck. Snow started around 3900 feet. There was maybe 6-9 inches of snow on the backside of the mountain. I was in thick fog for most of the hike. At probably around 4800 feet I got above the clouds. It was pretty spectacular. Sun was warming and could see very far with mountains peaking out of the clouds in all directions. But it would only last for like 10 minutes and then clouds would blow up and over the mountain and you could see anything again. The clouds would stay for a while and then burn off and it would be sunny again. At the summit, I got lucky and it was clear the whole time up there, probably about 30-40 minutes. It was dark coming down the mountain. I think the fog had gotten thicker and there was less light. I considered turning on my headlamp even though I was back at my car by 330.

Most of the hike was like this

The view from the summit

Rainier on the left of the picture

Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    That sounds really nice. We rented a house on the washington coast for 5 days next week. I am so looking forward to relaxing walks on the beach with the family.
    Sounds wonderful, enjoy!

Sweet gu03, always nice to climb above a sea of clouds or fog and see the top of peaks poking up above.

Silver Falls State Park near Salem has been way on a back burner for quite a while. Finally got there today. Did a loop called the Trail of Ten Falls. Quite spectacular. In addition to many falls, most of the trail is right along one of the forks of Silver Creek.

Silver Falls State Park near Salem has been way on a back burner for quite a while. Finally got there today. Did a loop called the Trail of Ten Falls. Quite spectacular. In addition to many falls, most of the trail is right along one of the forks of Silver Creek.
    That sounds really cool and I bet the falls were putting out a lot of water with all of the rain we have been getting lately.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    That sounds really cool and I bet the falls were putting out a lot of water with all of the rain we have been getting lately.
    Yeah the falls were ripping. Several of them the trail takes you back behind them, one was so loud it sounded like a jet roaring.

Did my usual post-Thanksgiving day hike. Fairly moderate. Just east of my parents house in White Salmon. Started by Rowland Lake, went up thru The Maze (did that last T-Day too), then traversed over to the Catherine Creek area and did a short loop over there, then walked back along the road to my car. LOTS of people out--hiking, mountain biking, fishing. Pleasant day, mostly sunny, not too cold.