• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
    I am trying to plan a backpacking trip for the first week of August. It sounds like your's is going to be a lot of fun.
    I hope so. I feel pretty honored to take my nephew on his first overnighter. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't before with my bro.

Do you know where you're going for your trip?

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
      I hope so. I feel pretty honored to take my nephew on his first overnighter. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't before with my bro.

Do you know where you're going for your trip?
      We have been talking about yellow aster butte. I love that area. There might still be a lot of snow up there because there hasn't been a trip report on WTA for 8 months.
      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2014

We have been talking about yellow aster butte. I love that area. There might still be a lot of snow up there because there hasn't been a trip report on WTA for 8 months.
        That's a great location if conditions allow it.

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

That's a great location if conditions allow it.
          We are planning on climbing Tomyhoi while up there too. I forgot that part. Have you climbed Tomyhoi before?
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2014

We are planning on climbing Tomyhoi while up there too. I forgot that part. Have you climbed Tomyhoi before?
            Yeah, I got it on my second or third attempt, can't quite remember. There can be some weird transitions between snow and rock depending on time of year. There's even a small glacier up there. I tried it again year's later, got close to the summit but some of the exposure I wasn't feeling great about so I backed off. I'd already climbed it, didn't need to force myself into an uncomfortable position to do it again. I was WAY bolder in my 20s and early 30s than I am now. That's not intending to scare you off. I'd say there's a little bit of class 4 and class 3, mostly class 2. There are definitely some no fall areas. Even if you don't summit, it's a super cool up and down ridge traverse beyond the lakes. There's a good path for most of it.

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Hey gu03, here's a current TR from WTA for nearby Goat Mountain. Second picture shows YAB and Tomhyhoi, on the left in the near distance. You can see the road and the TH area for YAB clearly as well. Still a fair bit of snow all along the ridge to Tomyhoi it looks like, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for that peak. The lakes basin is probably just out of view to the left, looks like it would be patchy snow probably?

The road to the trailhead is in really good shape after the first mile (in the first mile are enough potholes to rock the boat a bit). The maintained trail (to where they say an old fire lookout was) ...

Comment

• seacatfan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2014

Did something different yesterday, started a hike at 7 pm. Took me longer to get to the trailhead than I was figuring. Brought a headlamp, thought I'd probably finish in the dark. I definitely did that. Hiked Johnson Ridge/Scorpion Mtn. up the Beckler River Rd. One other car at the TH, the other guy was camping at the summit. Got some mountain views off and on with a bit of alpenglow and the sun sinking to the west. Got about halfway back to the car, well into dusk before I pulled the headlamp out. Hadn't hiked in the dark in quite a while. Even though it had cooled down quite a bit from earlier in the day by the time I started, I was still sweating like a pig to begin with. It was a bit cool and breezy on the summit but I only stopped briefly. Never got cold on the way back.

edit--line w/ some pics

Last edited by seacatfan; 07-21-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• gu03alum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Hey gu03, here's a current TR from WTA for nearby Goat Mountain. Second picture shows YAB and Tomhyhoi, on the left in the near distance. You can see the road and the TH area for YAB clearly as well. Still a fair bit of snow all along the ridge to Tomyhoi it looks like, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for that peak. The lakes basin is probably just out of view to the left, looks like it would be patchy snow probably?

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-r...-15-8484181938
                  Thank you!
                  Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Did something different yesterday, started a hike at 7 pm. Took me longer to get to the trailhead than I was figuring. Brought a headlamp, thought I'd probably finish in the dark. I definitely did that. Hiked Johnson Ridge/Scorpion Mtn. up the Beckler River Rd. One other car at the TH, the other guy was camping at the summit. Got some mountain views off and on with a bit of alpenglow and the sun sinking to the west. Got about halfway back to the car, well into dusk before I pulled the headlamp out. Hadn't hiked in the dark in quite a while. Even though it had cooled down quite a bit from earlier in the day by the time I started, I was still sweating like a pig to begin with. It was a bit cool and breezy on the summit but I only stopped briefly. Never got cold on the way back.

edit--line w/ some pics

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8032246
                    those are great pictures. When I first started reading your post I figured you started late to see the comet.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

those are great pictures. When I first started reading your post I figured you started late to see the comet.
                      I didn't even think of that! There was something really bright in the sky I noticed toward the end. I figured it was a planet, but maybe it was the comet. I took a few moments to gaze up at all the stars after I got back to my car. No moon visible at that point and far enough away from the city to minimize light pollution, it was fairly dazzling. I don't know my constellations but Big Dipper was real easy to pick out.

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I climbed Mt Adams on Thursday and Friday. I got up to lunch counter Thursday around 7 PM and set up camp. I was a little nervous because everyone coming down said it was super windy the night before and the wind was supposed to be worse Thursday night. We must have picked really good spots because the wind didn't bother me too much while sleeping in my tent. We saw a great sunset that seemed to last forever. Mt Saint Helens and Mt Hood were so clear the whole day and were beautiful with the sunset. The next morning we left a little after 6. I felt strong going up the steep hill to Pikers Peak. The wind was blowing hard, but it was really howling at the top of pikers peak. We took a break behind some rocks, but I got really cold. The cold sapped my energy and the rest of the way was a real challenge. It was kind of disappointing because I had felt so good up to that point and was leading the way of my group. I went to the back the rest of the way and was the last to summit. It was beautiful on top and I was able to see Rainier. The last time I was on top of Adams the smoke was so thick I couldn't really see much. I didn't stay up there long because the wind was so strong. I took off my crampons and prepared to glissade down. No one had glissaded yet who was in front of us so my group was the first. The snow was starting to soften up so we managed to time it perfectly. We were able to glissade the whole way back to lunch counter except for the flat part and then once we collected our stuff we glissaded down to the Morrison Creek.

Hood

Helens

Rainier

Me at Lunch Counter

Bring back the OCC

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Congrats alum! Nice job.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Congrats on Adams gu03!

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Took my nephew and his buddy backpacking on Hood Tuesday-Wednesday this week. It was triple digits for about a week straight east of Portland. Up on the mountain was a little cooler, but not much. They got to experience a bit of blow down on the trail and some annoying bugs, but overall it went well.

Comment

• gu03alum
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Took my nephew and his buddy backpacking on Hood Tuesday-Wednesday this week. It was triple digits for about a week straight east of Portland. Up on the mountain was a little cooler, but not much. They got to experience a bit of blow down on the trail and some annoying bugs, but overall it went well.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8032337
                                Damn, that is hot. I don't like hiking as much in high temperatures, but I'm glad you had a good time. Those pictures are great.
                                Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                                X