Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

I really don't think you need bear spray. Peace of mind is valuable of course, so if you feel more comfortable with it, makes sense. We have plenty of black bears all over Washington. I honestly can't remember hearing about a single incident involving one.

Napeequa...kind of a Shangri La. I've gazed down on it from above from a couple vantages, but haven't been down to it. Beautiful, long, wild valley. A bit difficult to reach. I think quickest approach is from Little Giant Pass, then switchback down to the valley floor. Little Giant trailhead is just before the road end up the Chiwawa River Rd. Immediately upon starting you have to ford the Chiwawa River, no bridge, so not a hike you'd want to do early in the season. And according to WTA the trail is currently closed due to fire, so that's one you would want to contact the Ranger Station for before heading that way. I think it's in the Chelan Ranger District, but Leavenworth is closer. If you call one they might tell you to call the other, but one or both should have info for you.

I think the fire closure was last year.

I have not been to the Napeequa I am sorry to say, and now I am too old to go. It is for hard core hikers, Becky called it the most interesting valley in the area.

Probably the best time to hike it is in mid to late September when the river crossings are at lowest flow and the bugs (hopefully) are gone and the fall colors are at their peak.

Just looking at it, it reminds me more of hiking in Wrangell Saint Elias than in the loved to death Cascades.

If you don't mind people, other hikes you might consider are along Nason Ridge or Icicle Ridge, with plenty of lakes and well maintained trails .

So many trails, so little time....

Hanging out w/ my folks this weekend, east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge. Did a couple hikes on Mt. Hood. Saturday got a real late start, somebody else pulled the plug fairly fairly shortly into the hike, so did not get to the intended destination (McNeil Point). Still got a couple nice views of the mountain. That just did not satisfy me, so this morning I was right back up there. Went up Vista Ridge and way up on Barrett Spur, I think I was around 8,000 ft. The final 3,000+ feet of the mountain within spitting distance in front of me, a couple glaciers spilling down either side of the ridge I was on. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Hanging out w/ my folks this weekend, east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge. Did a couple hikes on Mt. Hood. Saturday got a real late start, somebody else pulled the plug fairly fairly shortly into the hike, so did not get to the intended destination (McNeil Point). Still got a couple nice views of the mountain. That just did not satisfy me, so this morning I was right back up there. Went up Vista Ridge and way up on Barrett Spur, I think I was around 8,000 ft. The final 3,000+ feet of the mountain within spitting distance in front of me, a couple glaciers spilling down either side of the ridge I was on. Pretty cool.
    That sounds awesome!
    Bring back the OCC

I went backpacking over the weekend. The plan was to hike to Meander Meadow and set up camp on Friday. Then on Saturday I would hike Johnson Mountain and Kodak Peak. Then on Sunday I would complete the loop through PCT and Cady Ridge trail. I ended up cutting out the middle day and hiking back on Saturday. I used up half my bug spray and nearly all of my TP on the first day. The bugs were so thick and aggressive that I was worried I would use up the other half of the bottle on Saturday and not have any for my hike out. I only brought a small pump spray that I purchased at REI. It said it was good for 11 hours, but it really only lasted about an hour before bugs started attacking me again. I think my sweat had something to do with that. I will bring a larger container next time.

The hike to Meander Meadow was difficult in that the plants had taken over the trail. The picture below is a good example of what I was dealing with. Most of them were covered in dew so my pants were soaking wet. There wasn't much of an opportunity to pull off somewhere and put my rain pants on either. This was for the first 3-4 miles of the hike. At one point though I saw a young deer ahead of me on the trail. I think it was struggling to get through the brush like me because when it saw me it tried to scramble away but it took like 10 seconds to get going. I think the part that sucked the most was that I would occasionally step in creeks or pools of water or mud that I couldn't see underneath me. At about 2 miles in a fighter jet flew low through the valley I was hiking in.

When I got to Meander Meadow I stupidly didn't realize I was there. I had misremembered the map. I thought it was at 5500 feet and 7.5 miles from the trailhead. My map was wet from having it in my pocket when I walked through the brush. I had it drying at the top of my pack and I didn't want to open it while soggy. In my mind I was thinking the sign was telling me to go this way to get to Meander Meadow not that this was the meadow. so dumb. I kept hiking until I hit the PCT. The PCT was about 7 miles away according to my navigation and 5500 feet according to my altitude app. That must have been what I remembered. I hiked all the way back to the meadow.

There were probably 5 or 6 campsites there with the beginning of the Little Wenatchee River running behind the campsites. I had my pick of the best one. No one else camped there that night. I don't think I have ever camped somewhere with no one around. It was pretty amazing. I did see two hikers go by on the trail leading to the PCT around 5 that night. There were so many wildflowers on the hike.

The next day I packed up and hiked back up to the PCT. I briefly entertained the idea that I would go up Kodak Peak, but I had 9 or so miles left that day and a 50 pound pack on my back. I got to Dishpan Gap I came across another hiker. This guy said he had seen my tent the day before. He was trying to get to Cady Ridge, but had run out of daylight and set up camp at Dishpan. I saw another two backpackers about a mile further on the PCT who had set up camp on small snowfield next to the PCT. Another mile or so down the PCT I hit the Cady Ridge trail and headed back to the car. This trail was much nicer than the meander meadow trail in that it was full of wildflower meadows up high which don't tend to crowd the trail as much and down low was in the woods with much less ground cover. As I got close to the trail head I passed 3 separate couples who were heading up the trail. When I left on Friday I was one of only 3 cars in the lot. When I arrived on Saturday around noon there were around 15 cars in the lot. I'm guessing the meander meadow campsite was a little more crowded Saturday night.

Question: I had blisters the size of my backpack straps on my shoulders. Both of which are now pretty gross and infected. I would love to hear any tips you might have to prevent this from happening to me again.
    Bring back the OCC

I really really really enjoy the pictures...all of them....

The Icicle Indians were given a square mile of land centered on the confluence of the Icicle and Wenatchee Rivers...and when the white men tried to convince the Chief that he really was given the land at the confluence of the White River and the Wenatchee, he told them BS,

That he would not move to a place where the bugs would never give his people any rest....

Later the Yakama's traded off his Reservation for some water rights and the Icicle Tribe was driven off their land and sent to the Colville Reservation....of course, after gold was discovered, the white devils stole more than half of the Colville Reservation...

gu03--Can't say that I've ever had blisters on my shoulders from pack straps. Definitely get a little sore there sometimes, more like bruising though. I think I've gotten the skin rubbed a little bit raw on my hips before, but I don't use that pack anymore. Still wasn't blistering though. Can't really think of what to recommend......I know some marathon runners put a little bit of duct tape on their nipples (male runners, don't know if female runners do the same) to prevent chafing. Might be worth a try?

I definitely like Cady Ridge better than Little Wenatchee River trail. I've seen some decent flower patches this year, but I keep seeing trip reports that are making me jealous. Seems to be an explosion of flowers in Washington this summer.

Cady Ridge is nice in the fall too, all kinds of different colors along the ridge. That section of the PCT heading a bit north of there is good for fall colors as well.

I hiked to Melakwa Lake yesterday. I brought my swim trunks and went swimming in the lake for a while. I managed to drop my iphone in the lake. It worked, but got worse as the day went on. There were only a few other people up there. I'm sure that is a trail that gets a big crowd on the weekend. On the way up you pass a water fall that's part of Denny Creek. My cousin was telling me that he sometimes sees naked people at the top of the water fall. Well, on our way back we saw 4 beautiful women with their tops off. It was a great hike that I would definitely do again.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I hiked to Melakwa Lake yesterday. I brought my swim trunks and went swimming in the lake for a while. I managed to drop my iphone in the lake. It worked, but got worse as the day went on. There were only a few other people up there. I'm sure that is a trail that gets a big crowd on the weekend. On the way up you pass a water fall that's part of Denny Creek. My cousin was telling me that he sometimes sees naked people at the top of the water fall. Well, on our way back we saw 4 beautiful women with their tops off. It was a great hike that I would definitely do again.
    How do you know they were beautiful? Did you look that high?

Just kidding!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

O3 you usually favor us with some outstanding pictures.....now, really, a swimming suit in a Alpine Lake....oh the humanity...

Except of course that Melakwa and the Denny Creek Trail Head at probably the busiest in the higher Cascades... I got there by way of Thompson Lake on a one way hike..

I am going higher to cool off....going to explore the West Side of Rainier.... I have a craving for snow and glaciers ...and fresh wildflowers..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    O3 you usually favor us with some outstanding pictures.....now, really, a swimming suit in a Alpine Lake....oh the humanity...

Except of course that Melakwa and the Denny Creek Trail Head at probably the busiest in the higher Cascades... I got there by way of Thompson Lake on a one way hike..

I am going higher to cool off....going to explore the West Side of Rainier.... I have a craving for snow and glaciers ...and fresh wildflowers..
    No pictures when you drop your phone in the lake. Here's one of me floating in the lake that my cousin took.

Bring back the OCC

I'm heading to Bend next week and thinking about hiking to the top of the South Sister. Have any of you done it before? It looks hard because of the elevation gain, but no technical skills required.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    How do you know they were beautiful? Did you look that high?

Just kidding!
    Ha ha,They were a long ways away, but when we were enjoying a beer in the parking lot they came running by us...
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I'm heading to Bend next week and thinking about hiking to the top of the South Sister. Have any of you done it before? It looks hard because of the elevation gain, but no technical skills required.
    So long ago....45 years....the only two things I can recall are the cute girl I followed up that gut busting climb (made the trip all to short)....and the weather near the top is treacherous even in August...That mountain creates it's own weather(Orographic) and there can be a blizzard up there .....so be prepared..

Here, there is a predicted 25-35 degree drop in temps with the potential for thunderstorms....I believe that front is coming from the Southwest.

South Sister is definitely non technical. A little tedious at times w/ steep slopes and loose footing on some lovely volcanic scree. Definitely worth it though, great view from the top down to the Chambers Lakes and Middle and North Sister and beyond. Funny you should mention that Bart. When I did it, it was in the 80's in Bend, Madras etc. On top it was windy as hell and frigid, I could only stay up there about 5 minutes. Below the summit was protected somewhat from the wind but still plenty chilly. There was some nice rime ice plastered to some rocks all around up there, which is usually a good sign it's windy and cold.

Beautiful naked frolicking female hikers in lakes and rivers. I keep hearing tales of this. Never see it myself. Sounds about as likely as seeing a unicorn I think.

Lost Creek Ridge today. Sky was fire smoke hazy, but could see nearby peaks well enough. That is a beautiful hike. Made it about 14 miles round trip. Some ripe blueberries finally. I've had a terrible year for critter sightings, but today was a step in the right direction. A bunch of marmots, a few pikas, grouse and toads.

You're too high, the critters are down lower, except for the Goats and Sheep and Marmots....ect

As for the skinny dipping....... one of the issues to be addressed by the Forest Service in Alpine Lakes Management Plan was the planting of fish in the high lakes...... so they contracted with the UW School of Forestry..... and a couple graduate students spend the hiking season observing fishing activities in the Wilderness.....now.... they saw some interesting stuff....but no unicorns...

Deer are up fairly high sometimes. Bear too. But I hadn't even seen a single marmot all year until yesterday.

edited--I did see a single track that was either deer or goat at a muddy spot by a creek crossing. I didn't see it on the way in, it was there on the way out. Somewhere in the 5000 ft. range.

This is my favorite thread these days. I am hiking, looking vicariously through your adventures -- until life opens up a little and I get to go have a few adventures myself.

Too much corporate IT, long long days and too few mountains in my life.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Phish...heaven is up above...you enter it at about 7000' in the Cascades......where the air is cool and the skies are cobalt blue and the snow and ice glisten ... and the larch are golden in the fall...

I have been in the backcountry for more than 70 years and I still pause and look up and smile with excitement at the call of a loon, the howl of a wolf or the bugle of a bull elk.....what a joy it is.....and I intend to pursue it as long as possible..it never gets old...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 08-13-2017 at 04:55 PM.

I hiked the South Sister today. This was my first over 10,000 foot mountain peak. This hike had a lot of variety. Trees, meadow, ash and big rocks, then red lava rocks, and finally hiking around the rim of a volcano. It was awesome and tough.

Here is me at the top.

My summit beer

I think I counted 3 separate fires that I saw on this hike. Two of them were West of the mountain and this one is north of the mountain. We are staying in Bend and there is ash falling in the city tonight. I hope the fires are out for people making the trip to Oregon to see the eclipse next week.

Mt Bachelor could be seen the entire hike.

Bring back the OCC

Nice job 03......Next Mt Whitney....another day hike

came across hiker/photographer from WA....LINK