Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: any other hikers here?

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    ...I’m hoping it will be recovered enough by mid-July for our family trip to Estes Park and Wyoming. I want to take my kids on the hikes I did around there with my family as a kid.
    Estes Park is magical. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Ah, bummer kitz. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I know we've discussed the PCT before Bart. I don't share your hatred of it. With it's nearly countless feeder trails, it presents all kinds of great opportunities for loops or traverses of various lengths. During the height of the thru hiker season it can definitely get crowded, but I've been on it at times and not seen anybody for mile after mile. I think the section right along Glacier Peak is awesome, I've hit it coming from Suiattle River, Lost Creek Ridge, North Fork Sauk, West Cady Ridge, Cady Ridge, Little Wenatchee River, Poets Ridge, Spider Gap/Cloudy Pass...

I've done a decent bit of it piece meal in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness as well.

I guess if you really don't like the PCT and the crowd it draws, the good news is the vast majority of thru hikers DO NOT STRAY off of the PCT, leaving miles and miles and miles of trails throughout Washington for us.
    When I have been on the section you are talking about which is only a couple of times I haven't seen too many people. It sure is pretty up there.

When I climbed Olancha Peak in California last fall much of the trail was on the PCT. We didn't see another human and it was about a 22 mile round trip hike. I think no one was up there because there is supposed to be no water up there in the late fall when we went and through hikers would have passed that area months ago.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I have been looking forward to doing a few more hikes this year. I have been getting in to decent shape, able to do 10-15 mile runs now. The weather has just turned perfect for hiking in the Shenandoahs and soccer season is winding down so I was just starting to plan some hikes. All of the sudden, I was out running last weekend and felt my heel pull and tighten up; plantar fasciitis. I can hardly walk right now. Last time I had it it took a good 2-3 months to fully recover.

Ughh.

So Iím hoping it will be recovered enough by mid-July for our family trip to Estes Park and Wyoming. I want to take my kids on the hikes I did around there with my family as a kid.
    Damn, that sucks. I had that when I was playing basketball a lot. I went to the doctor and the doctor was like your getting old and this is part of getting old. I asked what I could do about it. He just shrugged and told me to buy orthotics from the grocery store. That has surprisingly helped me a lot. I rarely have issues with it anymore (though I don't think mine was as severe as yours).
    Bring back the OCC