Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: any other hikers here?

Cool GU03!

That little glacial melt tarn visible in your last picture is a beauty! Did you see the teardrop pool just below the summit? I didn't see it when I was up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Nice job 03......Next Mt Whitney....another day hike
    It's definitely something I would like to do. My brother-in-law lives in California and has been talking about climbing it with me for about a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Cool GU03!

That little glacial melt tarn visible in your last picture is a beauty! Did you see the teardrop pool just below the summit? I didn't see it when I was up there.
    Are you talking about the one inside of the crater? The crater was filled with snow, but had just a little bit of water showing on the south side of the crater.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    came across hiker/photographer from WA....LINK
    nice pictures, just followed him
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    It's definitely something I would like to do. My brother-in-law lives in California and has been talking about climbing it with me for about a year now.

Are you talking about the one inside of the crater? The crater was filled with snow, but had just a little bit of water showing on the south side of the crater.
    that's the one

I did one of my favorites today (I have A LOT of favorites, don't try to pin me down; I don't think I could even narrow it down to a top 10)--Park Butte Lookout/Railroad Grade/Scott Paul loop. Wonderful day. Mostly clear but some clouds, the top of Baker was being coy all day. But no worries. Got a few ripe blueberries. Lots of pocket meadows w/ flowers still blooming. A nice deer strolling along while I was heading to the lookout. Marmots galore. A handful of ravens off and on throughout the day. From near the upper end of the climbers camps along the Grade I struck off x-country for a 1/2 mile or less to gain a fantastic view of the fearsome icefall of the Deming Glacier (hey Bart, know what I'm talking about?). Varied terrain, temps were pleasant. Plenty of other hikers but not oppressively crowded. One heck of a good day in the mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I did one of my favorites today (I have A LOT of favorites, don't try to pin me down; I don't think I could even narrow it down to a top 10)--Park Butte Lookout/Railroad Grade/Scott Paul loop. Wonderful day. Mostly clear but some clouds, the top of Baker was being coy all day. But no worries. Got a few ripe blueberries. Lots of pocket meadows w/ flowers still blooming. A nice deer strolling along while I was heading to the lookout. Marmots galore. A handful of ravens off and on throughout the day. From near the upper end of the climbers camps along the Grade I struck off x-country for a 1/2 mile or less to gain a fantastic view of the fearsome icefall of the Deming Glacier (hey Bart, know what I'm talking about?). Varied terrain, temps were pleasant. Plenty of other hikers but not oppressively crowded. One heck of a good day in the mountains!
    sounds awesome!
    Bring back the OCC

I have never been there, but I have a good friend who was a Ranger at Glacier and another who was a Snow Ranger (Ski Area Administrator) at Mt Baker so I know of the Deming Glacier and the gorge.

I have skied a lot at Mt Baker and the kids competed in the Banked Slalom against the Mt Baker Hardcore.

I understand the whole area was closed years ago when Baker was showing some signs of life and there is a Mt Baker Research (Non Profit) that is associated with Western.

It is spectacular and I can certainly understand why it is a favorite...I need to get there.