Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

Swimming makes sense....hiking.....no way.....just a nutty idea....like most of my peers I have skin cancer so it is more hazardous than just bugs and brush....but it is real to some...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 06-20-2018 at 06:44 PM.

I've definitely heard of it, never encountered any such hikers myself. Just seems like the dangly bits are better to be confined a bit. To each their own I guess. I've also heard of people hiking in kilts w/ quite the ventilation system going on.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    June 21st is International Hike Naked Day........but I understand the 9th Circuit has issued a stay to (hopefully) prevent people over 35 or otherwise unsightly from participating...... except where there is absolutely no chance of them being seen... .......No Bueno....
    When I lived in DC there was a no pants day on the subway every year. I didnít participate, but I didnít complain when it happened.
    Bring back the OCC

I will have to tell you some day about a hike I took with your old boss , Bob Gates, and his security team..... into the Enchantments …. back in the day...... during Iran Contra........they all wore cargo pants...

Well nobody was naked, but saw something kind of different today. Boeing Creek Park in Shoreline is near my house, I go walking there all the time. Today while I was there I stumbled upon what I would have to describe as a cosplay photo shoot. A young woman was posing in a fake suit of armor w/ a fake broad sword. I'm pretty sure there are fetish sites devoted to that kind of stuff. I didn't stick around to find out if she ended up wearing considerably less than a suit of armor.

I also found a couple of patches of red huckleberries. The berries were tart but juicy. Also got some salmonberries that were prime.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Well nobody was naked, but saw something kind of different today. Boeing Creek Park in Shoreline is near my house, I go walking there all the time. Today while I was there I stumbled upon what I would have to describe as a cosplay photo shoot. A young woman was posing in a fake suit of armor w/ a fake broad sword. I'm pretty sure there are fetish sites devoted to that kind of stuff. I didn't stick around to find out if she ended up wearing considerably less than a suit of armor.

I also found a couple of patches of red huckleberries. The berries were tart but juicy. Also got some salmonberries that were prime.
    Boeing Creek Park.... noted.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Another tragic death on Mt Stuart....according to the paper....a young man fell some several hundred feet descending toward the Cascadian Couloir …..

I do not know the details..... but many if not most..... accidents occur during the descent....for obvious reasons...tired , unfocused, relaxed, in a hurry, willing to take a short cut...

If you are going to glissade you had better know how to slow and stop yourself..... and where the hazards are...you can almost bet that a snow field/glacier will end in a talus area and..... if you crash into those rocks it will likely result in a death or a serious injury. I do not know if he was glissading.

If you are in a place where you can fall several hundred feet.... like this young man, you better know what you are doing... sad preventable accident...

Another tragic death on Mt Stuart....according to the paper....a young man fell some several hundred feet descending toward the Cascadian Couloir …..

I do not know the details..... but many if not most..... accidents occur during the descent....for obvious reasons...tired , unfocused, relaxed, in a hurry, willing to take a short cut... u

If you are going to glissade you had better know how to slow and stop yourself..... and where the hazards are...you can almost bet that a snow field/glacier will end in a talus area and..... if you crash into those rocks it will likely result in a death or a serious injury. I do not know if he was glissading.

If you are in a place where you can fall several hundred feet.... like this young man, you better know what you are doing... sad preventable accident...
    I read about this. Very sad. According to reports he died a little higher than where I turned around a few weeks ago.
    Bring back the OCC

I just got back from Havasupai Falls. If I can figure out how to post personal pics, I’ll do it.

My brother-in-law and I spent 5 days hiking 70 miles last week. We climbed two 14,000 foot peaks which included Mt Whitney and Mt Langley. We had planned on also climbing Mt Muir, but when we got there the route looked a little bit too difficult with the equipment we had. It was a little bit more exposure than I felt comfortable with so we decided not to do it. We spent a lot of time on the PCT and met quite a few through hikers. That is an interesting bunch of people. Many of them were doing what we did and climbing Whitney from the backside which doesn't require a permit. One guy was called Metric ton. He had over 100 pound backpack, but somehow was putting in the miles like the rest of them. He only brought up a 35 pound pack to the top of Whitney. We brought water and some food in a small daypack. Another guy had this large metal frame chair on the back of his pack. He brought that up to Whitney and pulled out a 22 ounce beer. I have no idea how long he had been carrying that. We met an older German guy named Herman who was super nice.

This is on top of Mt Whitney

Bring back the OCC

I know people who have become addicted to peak bagging Ö...not a bad thing , especially if you have the ability to say no...as you do....it's the "come hell or high water" that gets pilots and climbers in trouble...

I know people who have become addicted to peak bagging …...not a bad thing , especially if you have the ability to say no...as you do....it's the "come hell or high water" that gets pilots and climbers in trouble...
    My brother-in-law wants to do all the 14,000 foot peaks. I think I will not be joining him for all of them. I don't really want to do anything above class 3 to get to the top of a mountain.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I just got back from Havasupai Falls. If I can figure out how to post personal pics, I’ll do it.
    One of the most beautiful spots I've ever been. How hot was the hike this time of year? Did you get attacked by squirrels?
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My brother-in-law wants to do all the 14,000 foot peaks. I think I will not be joining him for all of them. I don't really want to do anything above class 3 to get to the top of a mountain.
    Anything that requires more than a scramble is out for me. As much as I love to see the views that come with strenuous hikes I am terrified of heights (well, falling). No thanks.
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by bullzag23 View Post
    One of the most beautiful spots I've ever been. How hot was the hike this time of year? Did you get attacked by squirrels?
    Agree with the beauty! It got to over 100 degrees during the day. We hiked in at 5am and hiked out at 4am a few days later. Didn’t have any issues with the squirrels. We had a bear box and kept all our food inside it. I did try and chase a few squirrels out of packs in neighboring campsites. It only lasted as long as I was there.

BTW, how do I post pics from my iPad? I only know how to do it from the web.

Cool GU03, sounds like a good week.

I've spent a little time on the PCT here and there. It's a bit like a traveling circus or something when the thru hikers or section hikers are passing by. Not the place to go if you want solitude, but an interesting experience.

I know people who have become addicted to peak bagging …...not a bad thing , especially if you have the ability to say no...as you do....it's the "come hell or high water" that gets pilots and climbers in trouble...
    I'm a bit of a recovering peak bagger myself. Still tag one now and then but I don't feel compelled to get to the top of something every time I'm out. Never got close to completing the Bulger list or any of those types of things.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Agree with the beauty! It got to over 100 degrees during the day. We hiked in at 5am and hiked out at 4am a few days later. Didnít have any issues with the squirrels. We had a bear box and kept all our food inside it. I did try and chase a few squirrels out of packs in neighboring campsites. It only lasted as long as I was there.

BTW, how do I post pics from my iPad? I only know how to do it from the web.
    Not sure from the ipad, but here's one of my own from Havasupai:

Steven Wright

One more for good measure:
    Steven Wright

WOW

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    been up Whitney twice from Bishop side....nice hike

Rainier on the other hand...both times in July and couldn't see the person in front of me when we got to the top...also the whole crampon ice axe headlamp thing makes it quite different.

Very nice BZ!
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    been up Whitney twice from Bishop side....nice hike

Rainier on the other hand...both times in July and couldn't see the person in front of me when we got to the top...also the whole crampon ice axe headlamp thing makes it quite different.
    The more I do the ice axe crampon type hikes the more I think I don’t want to anymore.
    Bring back the OCC

Testing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekerj5odpq...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Dang, I thought I could share from Dropbox. Any tips?

I was able to open the pic by clicking the link from my iPad.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-