Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 401 to 414 of 414

Thread: any other hikers here?

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    16,345

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Have any of you done Mt Prophet? My cousin and I are planning to climb this mountain later this summer. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info online about it. I might need to get a guide book.
    Bring back the OCC

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Have any of you done Mt Prophet? My cousin and I are planning to climb this mountain later this summer. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info online about it. I might need to get a guide book.
    in case you missed this site...has some info

    https://www.summitpost.org/mount-prophet/980076

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    in case you missed this site...has some info

    https://www.summitpost.org/mount-prophet/980076
    Thank you
    Bring back the OCC

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    I demonstrated my brilliance today. I'm not in the kind of hiking shape I'd like to be in, definitely not as good as previous 4-5 years. It was forecast to be warm, and sometimes I struggle in the heat. So....great time to do a steep, challenging hike, right? I think I overdid it a bit, but I survived (well the day isn't over, but I'm home anyway). Sulphur Mountain, hadn't been up there before. Very limited views until the very end, but it makes up for it. Glacier Pk. and Dome Pk. really up close and in your face, and a bunch of other stuff near and far. I thought this was the type of hike you're not likely to see other hikers, but there were 4 other parties in addition to me and my buddy, 8 people total. Not exactly crowded compared to many hikes, but more than I expected. Hit the Burger Shack in Darrington on the way back. I earned that milkshake.

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    I hiked to the top of Granite Mountain today. This is a mountain that I failed twice on due to conditions. Today there was snow, but nothing difficult. It was hot coming down. I started around 830. I think I would have liked to start even earlier due to the heat. At the top I could see Rainier, Kaleetan, Chair Peak, and Glacier was even in view. On my way down, this couple asked if I had a water filter because they were out of water. I had my Grayl water filter which is a cup inside of a cup and you push down on the inner cup which has a filter on the bottom. It can be kind of difficult to push the inner cup down so I moved my foot onto some snow so I could get more leverage. Stupid me, my foot went right through to the running water below. It went halfway up my calf. Waterproof shoes are great unless the water goes over the top of the shoe. You only get half a liter each time you filter the water, but they felt bad and insisted that was all they needed.







    Bring back the OCC

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I demonstrated my brilliance today. I'm not in the kind of hiking shape I'd like to be in, definitely not as good as previous 4-5 years. It was forecast to be warm, and sometimes I struggle in the heat. So....great time to do a steep, challenging hike, right? I think I overdid it a bit, but I survived (well the day isn't over, but I'm home anyway). Sulphur Mountain, hadn't been up there before. Very limited views until the very end, but it makes up for it. Glacier Pk. and Dome Pk. really up close and in your face, and a bunch of other stuff near and far. I thought this was the type of hike you're not likely to see other hikers, but there were 4 other parties in addition to me and my buddy, 8 people total. Not exactly crowded compared to many hikes, but more than I expected. Hit the Burger Shack in Darrington on the way back. I earned that milkshake.
    When I have seen Glacier up close it has been a great mountain to view.
    Bring back the OCC

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    When I have seen Glacier up close it has been a great mountain to view.
    I agree. I constantly waffle back and forth on whether Glacier or Baker is my favorite Washington volcano. Depends on which one I happen to be closer to.

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Bummer about the wet boot GU03. Good job helping those folks out. If they were still heading up, I don't think 1/2 L between 2 people is enough on a hot day. I think many severely underestimate how much fluids you need when hiking in warm weather. I went thru almost 4 L yesterday. I'm sure I've had days where I've pounded thru 6 or 7 L.

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Bummer about the wet boot GU03. Good job helping those folks out. If they were still heading up, I don't think 1/2 L between 2 people is enough on a hot day. I think many severely underestimate how much fluids you need when hiking in warm weather. I went thru almost 4 L yesterday. I'm sure I've had days where I've pounded thru 6 or 7 L.
    I agree. I asked them a couple of times and told them it was no big deal to get more water. I only drank 2 today, but I probably should have drank more. I had another liter in my pack. I need to get better about drinking water before I get really thirsty. I get focused and don't want to stop to drink (I have a hard time drinking when I'm moving and out of breath).
    Bring back the OCC

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    15,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I agree. I constantly waffle back and forth on whether Glacier or Baker is my favorite Washington volcano. Depends on which one I happen to be closer to.
    I think Glacier is really cool because it requires work to get a good view. (I could be wrong, maybe there is a road that you drive on and see it really well?) The first few times I have seen Glacier it was unexpected. It blew me away and I had no idea what mountain it was until I got home and looked it up.
    Bring back the OCC

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I agree. I asked them a couple of times and told them it was no big deal to get more water. I only drank 2 today, but I probably should have drank more. I had another liter in my pack. I need to get better about drinking water before I get really thirsty. I get focused and don't want to stop to drink (I have a hard time drinking when I'm moving and out of breath).
    I used to not drink often enough when I was just carrying water bottles on my pack. A bladder w/ a drinking tube is an absolute must for me now (unless I'm doing something short and easy). I sip constantly.

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I think Glacier is really cool because it requires work to get a good view. (I could be wrong, maybe there is a road that you drive on and see it really well?) The first few times I have seen Glacier it was unexpected. It blew me away and I had no idea what mountain it was until I got home and looked it up.
    You're totally right about that. I'm not sure how a 10.5 thousand foot peak can hide, but it does. I don't think you can see it anywhere from I-5. Don't see it as you approach Darrington, even though it's fairly close. No places like Sunrise or Paradise or Mt. Baker Ski Area etc. where you can drive up high and get a great view of the mountain without having to work for it at all.

    Bonanza Peak, the highest non volcano in the state, also hides from view remarkably well, not that many places to get a good vantage of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •