Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: any other hikers here?

Have you done Luna Peak? It looks like the route is very similar to Prophet, at least initially with the thick brush. You start from the same camp, just go the opposite direction across Big Beaver Creek.
    Bring back the OCC

No, never tried Luna. I haven't even been up Little Beaver or Big Beaver. Went from Hannegan Pass to Whatcom Pass, got some real nice views of the top of Luna from Tapto Lakes and Middle Lakes. Also good views of it from the south from Sourdough Lookout/Stetattle Ridge area. I don't mind a little brush bashing now and then but don't got out of my way to do it extensively if I can help it. Happens occasionally anyway. Fighting my way from Lime Ridge down to the Suiattle, following the wrong drainage, was absolutely the worst off trail travel I've experienced.

I went up Mt. Pugh a couple days ago. That is a tough hike! Not a place for people with a fear of heights, there is some serious exposure in various places along the upper part of the route. It's a really cool trail though, kind of amazing they were able to construct a feasible route to the summit. A few class 3 moves. The haze had returned, not as bad as before but didn't have as distant of views as normal up there. Pretty much kicked my butt, a good day nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I went up Mt. Pugh a couple days ago. That is a tough hike! Not a place for people with a fear of heights, there is some serious exposure in various places along the upper part of the route. It's a really cool trail though, kind of amazing they were able to construct a feasible route to the summit. A few class 3 moves. The haze had returned, not as bad as before but didn't have as distant of views as normal up there. Pretty much kicked my butt, a good day nonetheless.
    Pugh is on my list, but I do struggle with a fear of heights.
    Bring back the OCC

anyone use a trail app? looking at this All Trails app LINK
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

03....I have not been there since it was safe to travel after Sealth and the other Chiefs signed the Treaty...

But the Carbon River Road washed out and has become a bike and walking route on the westside of Rainier….it is level and at about 2000' it is open all year.

Might be a close and good candidate for a kid day hike ….. and a picnic by the river or the falls..

My experience is that hiking is a virus and kids either catch it or they don't and the more often they are exposed, the greater the chance of them catching it.....assuming it is a pleasant exposure...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    anyone use a trail app? looking at this All Trails app LINK
    I just started using Gaia GPS app this year. I can download the map to use offline. It has most trails on it. It has been very helpful when I have needed to retrace my steps back down a mountain with no trail. It will track your route. For example, coming down Mt Prophet we kept getting off route and we were able to correct.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    03....I have not been there since it was safe to travel after Sealth and the other Chiefs signed the Treaty...

But the Carbon River Road washed out and has become a bike and walking route on the westside of Rainier….it is level and at about 2000' it is open all year.

Might be a close and good candidate for a kid day hike ….. and a picnic by the river or the falls..

My experience is that hiking is a virus and kids either catch it or they don't and the more often they are exposed, the greater the chance of them catching it.....assuming it is a pleasant exposure...
    I think you are right. My brother hated hiking when we were kids, but got really into it when he got into his late teens and early 20’s. He did Rainier and some other climbing routes I would have no interest doing (see my fear of heights post earlier). I was thinking about that the other day for this reason. Maybe my daughter will dislike it and then a switch will go off and she will love it like my brother.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I just started using Gaia GPS app this year. I can download the map to use offline. It has most trails on it. It has been very helpful when I have needed to retrace my steps back down a mountain with no trail. It will track your route. For example, coming down Mt Prophet we kept getting off route and we were able to correct.
    Thanks
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

The Dawn Wall is at theaters tomorrow for one day if anyone is interested

Bring back the OCC