X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

I demonstrated my brilliance today. I'm not in the kind of hiking shape I'd like to be in, definitely not as good as previous 4-5 years. It was forecast to be warm, and sometimes I struggle in the heat. So....great time to do a steep, challenging hike, right? I think I overdid it a bit, but I survived (well the day isn't over, but I'm home anyway). Sulphur Mountain, hadn't been up there before. Very limited views until the very end, but it makes up for it. Glacier Pk. and Dome Pk. really up close and in your face, and a bunch of other stuff near and far. I thought this was the type of hike you're not likely to see other hikers, but there were 4 other parties in addition to me and my buddy, 8 people total. Not exactly crowded compared to many hikes, but more than I expected. Hit the Burger Shack in Darrington on the way back. I earned that milkshake.

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I hiked to the top of Granite Mountain today. This is a mountain that I failed twice on due to conditions. Today there was snow, but nothing difficult. It was hot coming down. I started around 830. I think I would have liked to start even earlier due to the heat. At the top I could see Rainier, Kaleetan, Chair Peak, and Glacier was even in view. On my way down, this couple asked if I had a water filter because they were out of water. I had my Grayl water filter which is a cup inside of a cup and you push down on the inner cup which has a filter on the bottom. It can be kind of difficult to push the inner cup down so I moved my foot onto some snow so I could get more leverage. Stupid me, my foot went right through to the running water below. It went halfway up my calf. Waterproof shoes are great unless the water goes over the top of the shoe. You only get half a liter each time you filter the water, but they felt bad and insisted that was all they needed.

Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        I demonstrated my brilliance today. I'm not in the kind of hiking shape I'd like to be in, definitely not as good as previous 4-5 years. It was forecast to be warm, and sometimes I struggle in the heat. So....great time to do a steep, challenging hike, right? I think I overdid it a bit, but I survived (well the day isn't over, but I'm home anyway). Sulphur Mountain, hadn't been up there before. Very limited views until the very end, but it makes up for it. Glacier Pk. and Dome Pk. really up close and in your face, and a bunch of other stuff near and far. I thought this was the type of hike you're not likely to see other hikers, but there were 4 other parties in addition to me and my buddy, 8 people total. Not exactly crowded compared to many hikes, but more than I expected. Hit the Burger Shack in Darrington on the way back. I earned that milkshake.
        When I have seen Glacier up close it has been a great mountain to view.
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
          When I have seen Glacier up close it has been a great mountain to view.
          I agree. I constantly waffle back and forth on whether Glacier or Baker is my favorite Washington volcano. Depends on which one I happen to be closer to.

Comment

• seacatfan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2014

Bummer about the wet boot GU03. Good job helping those folks out. If they were still heading up, I don't think 1/2 L between 2 people is enough on a hot day. I think many severely underestimate how much fluids you need when hiking in warm weather. I went thru almost 4 L yesterday. I'm sure I've had days where I've pounded thru 6 or 7 L.

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Bummer about the wet boot GU03. Good job helping those folks out. If they were still heading up, I don't think 1/2 L between 2 people is enough on a hot day. I think many severely underestimate how much fluids you need when hiking in warm weather. I went thru almost 4 L yesterday. I'm sure I've had days where I've pounded thru 6 or 7 L.
              I agree. I asked them a couple of times and told them it was no big deal to get more water. I only drank 2 today, but I probably should have drank more. I had another liter in my pack. I need to get better about drinking water before I get really thirsty. I get focused and don't want to stop to drink (I have a hard time drinking when I'm moving and out of breath).
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I agree. I constantly waffle back and forth on whether Glacier or Baker is my favorite Washington volcano. Depends on which one I happen to be closer to.
                I think Glacier is really cool because it requires work to get a good view. (I could be wrong, maybe there is a road that you drive on and see it really well?) The first few times I have seen Glacier it was unexpected. It blew me away and I had no idea what mountain it was until I got home and looked it up.
                Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

I agree. I asked them a couple of times and told them it was no big deal to get more water. I only drank 2 today, but I probably should have drank more. I had another liter in my pack. I need to get better about drinking water before I get really thirsty. I get focused and don't want to stop to drink (I have a hard time drinking when I'm moving and out of breath).
                  I used to not drink often enough when I was just carrying water bottles on my pack. A bladder w/ a drinking tube is an absolute must for me now (unless I'm doing something short and easy). I sip constantly.

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

I think Glacier is really cool because it requires work to get a good view. (I could be wrong, maybe there is a road that you drive on and see it really well?) The first few times I have seen Glacier it was unexpected. It blew me away and I had no idea what mountain it was until I got home and looked it up.
                    You're totally right about that. I'm not sure how a 10.5 thousand foot peak can hide, but it does. I don't think you can see it anywhere from I-5. Don't see it as you approach Darrington, even though it's fairly close. No places like Sunrise or Paradise or Mt. Baker Ski Area etc. where you can drive up high and get a great view of the mountain without having to work for it at all.

Bonanza Peak, the highest non volcano in the state, also hides from view remarkably well, not that many places to get a good vantage of it.

Comment

• bullzag23
                      Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                      That one looks like Mooney Falls, right?
                      A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
                      Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
                      Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• bullzag23
                        Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
                        • Apr 2008

Last weekend we spent in Olympic NP at Sol Duc Campground. Here are a couple from Deer Lake and Sol Duc Falls:

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
                        Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
                        Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• seacatfan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2014

Nice pic bullzag, Sol Duc Falls is a beauty!

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Did several hikes along the Mt. Baker Highway the middle of the week. Today I went up to Camp Muir on Rainier. Wasn't that excited about it but went with a couple friends. Ended up having a really fun day. The whole Paradise area is lovely, but it was absolutely mobbed w/ people on our way back down. I got in some of my best glisades ever today. There were some bumps in the troughs and I had enough momentum going to catch some air. Probably the highlight of the day was watching 3 juvenile marmots play fighting and basically sumo wrestling with each other. It was hilarious!

Comment

• Zagceo
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Did several hikes along the Mt. Baker Highway the middle of the week. Today I went up to Camp Muir on Rainier. Wasn't that excited about it but went with a couple friends. Ended up having a really fun day. The whole Paradise area is lovely, but it was absolutely mobbed w/ people on our way back down. I got in some of my best glisades ever today. There were some bumps in the troughs and I had enough momentum going to catch some air. Probably the highlight of the day was watching 3 juvenile marmots play fighting and basically sumo wrestling with each other. It was hilarious!
                              so day hikers are all over Camp Muir? or just the lower trails?

Comment

• seacatfan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2014

Muir was plenty busy, maybe roughly half and half day hikers vs. climbers staying overnight. As an aside apparently nobody was getting to the summit yesterday. A snow bridge collapsed somewhere above 12,000 ft. that was halting everybody's progress. Guides will have to come up with an alternate route.

Lower trails were stupid crowded on the way down, like you could barely move. Skyline Trail, Panorama Point, that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X