Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: any other hikers here?

Second week in a row I got pretty lucky, headed out on a day with a poor forecast, stayed dry during the hike, then saw a fair bit of rain on the drive back. I'd never done Heybrook Ridge, I was mildly curious about it. Nice mellow hike. Only a shade over 3 miles. My buddy and I were up for more, so we headed to the nearby Heybrook Lookout trail. I'd done that a couple times but he hadn't. Not a lot in the way of views to be had, but we could see Bridal Veil Falls from both trails. The cloud deck was just above the falls, so Mt. Index was right there but we couldn't see it at all. Had a pair of camprobbers swoop down and check on the possibility of free food as soon as we got to the top of the lookout tower (that staircase seems endless; it's probably close to 100 ft. off the ground). No food was forthcoming so they bailed out. Oh, LOTS of salmonberries out at Heybrook Ridge. I sampled several of them.

Ah, according to the interwebs the LO is 67 ft. high.

I went for a hike today off of 410 highway. I was looking for a long hike with elevation gain using the WTA hike finder and found a hike called the Palisades Loop. It was a pretty awesome hike. There were waterfalls on the way up and lots of viewpoints as you get higher and higher. Unfortunately it was pretty cloudy, but I could still see the valley below. You top out along a ridge with lots of views there too. Then the trail goes just below a small peak called Little Ranger Peak. I walked for a while looking for a path, but didn't see one and decided to just go up. There were two guys already at the top which was a little surprising because I had only seen a couple people at that point. They left and I spent a few minutes up there and headed back down. The trail went another mile or so before meeting up with Dalles Ridge Trail and Little Ranger Trail. I took the Little Ranger trail down. This trail wasn't as scenic, but a very nice forest. When you get to the bottom you are still 4.5 miles from the trailhead and there's a trail that parallels the 410 and is also part of the Snoquera Falls trail. This is where I saw a lot of people. I have done that hike before and I bet the waterfall looks great, but I didn't feel like adding another mile or two to my hike.

Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Second week in a row I got pretty lucky, headed out on a day with a poor forecast, stayed dry during the hike, then saw a fair bit of rain on the drive back. I'd never done Heybrook Ridge, I was mildly curious about it. Nice mellow hike. Only a shade over 3 miles. My buddy and I were up for more, so we headed to the nearby Heybrook Lookout trail. I'd done that a couple times but he hadn't. Not a lot in the way of views to be had, but we could see Bridal Veil Falls from both trails. The cloud deck was just above the falls, so Mt. Index was right there but we couldn't see it at all. Had a pair of camprobbers swoop down and check on the possibility of free food as soon as we got to the top of the lookout tower (that staircase seems endless; it's probably close to 100 ft. off the ground). No food was forthcoming so they bailed out. Oh, LOTS of salmonberries out at Heybrook Ridge. I sampled several of them.

Ah, according to the interwebs the LO is 67 ft. high.

That's really high. I don't know if I would have made it up that lookout.
    Bring back the OCC

That looks really nice GU. There are still a bunch of hikes I've never done, including that one. I even worked for a summer really close to there, Buck Creek Camp.

I've seen a few flowers on my recent hikes but not any paintbrush yet, looking very vibrant in your picture. I have to say you are a lot more than 67 ft. above that valley in your photo!

That looks really nice GU. There are still a bunch of hikes I've never done, including that one. I even worked for a summer really close to there, Buck Creek Camp.

I've seen a few flowers on my recent hikes but not any paintbrush yet, looking very vibrant in your picture. I have to say you are a lot more than 67 ft. above that valley in your photo!
    ha ha, yes. I just thought of some of the lookouts at Gettysburg. One of them is 75 feet. I made it only about half way up before I turned around and went back down.
    Bring back the OCC

I did Granite again. This time I remembered my axe and made it to the top.

Bring back the OCC

I climbed Mt Shasta yesterday. I got in on Friday and met some family and friends. We hiked up to Horse Camp, 1.7 miles from the parking lot, and set up camp. We woke up at midnight and set off around 1245. The snow didn't start until 50/50 flat. At Helen Lake it was still very dark and the wind was howling. We stopped there to layer up and put on crampons. Even with the extra layers I was shivering. Only way to warm was to keep going. From Helen Lake through Red Banks is a sufferfest. It just never seems to end. About 3/4 of the way through this section, you go through a narrow passage between rocks which is very steep. After getting through here I took a break near some rocks. Above me, some people were walking through the rocks looking for a place to sit and loosed a bowling ball sized rock that went flying by me. Everyone yelled rock, but that think picked up speed as it went through the narrow passage of Red Banks. It was scary. I talked to some of the people in my group who were below me and they saw the rock go by. Luckily they said no one was hit. After my break I continued on to find Misery Hill up next. Misery Hill didn't have snow on it, so the trail was switch back instead of straight up. I kind of appreciated the change of pace. I had read that once you got up Misery Hill, you were basically done. When I got up there I did not see the summit. I was a little disappointed. I kept going and there was ridge to cross with a steep drop on both sides. It looked like only 5 feet wide, but was probably more like 20 feet. I stepped on the ridge and was hit with a blast of wind. I was surprised and a little freaked out as I thought I might get blown off the ridge. In hindsight, I should have expected that as the wind was blowing hard throughout the climb. After getting across that ridge I could finally see the summit. It was beyond a long field of snow and up another hill. I was very disappointed and thoughts of quitting entered my mind. I sat there for 15 minutes resting next to a rock to get out of the wind and finally mustered up the strength to finish the climb. I walked across the snow field. The sulphur smell was very strong. This was my 4th volcano, but the first time I had smelled sulphur. I got to the bottom of the last hill before the summit and it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked from a distance. I ran into two of the guys from my group who were coming down from the summit. At the top I pulled out my summit beer and had about 3 sips before I realized I had no interest in drinking a beer after that climb. I poured the rest out and headed down. On the way down I ran into the other two people in my group. I wasn't sure if they would summit and was really happy to see they had made it. Heading down was uneventful until I got to the narrow section of the Red Banks. I have not had good luck with glissading so I hadn't glissaded yet and I definitely did not want to glissade through this narrow, very steep section. I also didn't want to walk down it. I was there pondering what I should do when 4 other guys joined me in being freaked out about going down through there. I finally decided to walk down. The other guys followed me down. There were a couple guys coming up when I was about midway through. I yielded to them, but in doing so basically grabbed onto the rock next to the route to get out of the way. I made it through and still had long, steep route to get to helen lake. I really wished I didn't have my crampons on here so I could glissade the rest of the way. It was too steep to sit down and take them off so I had to walk the rest of the way down. When I was almost to the lake the last 2 in my group to summit slid by me. I caught up to them and was able to glissade with them to 50/50. By now the snow was pretty soft so I was able to control my speed pretty easily. We broke camp and hiked to the parking lot. I hadn't made plans for that night because I thought I might camp if I was too tired to drive. I really wanted a shower and a bed so I tried to find a hotel. I was hoping for Medford since it was only 1.5 hours away. There were no vacancies. There were also no vacancies in Grants Pass. The closest place I could find a hotel was Eugene. The sufferfest continued. I had to drive until 9 to get to my hotel. I'm glad I passed on a beer in the parking lot because I don't think I would have made it if I drank one.

Shadow of the mountain at sunrise

Misery Hill

The first time seeing the summit

Summit

Bring back the OCC

Nice, congrats gu03! The summit area looks a bit scrambly.

That is damned impressive!! Nice job!!

Let me ask the hikers this:

Obviously any sort of summer vacation is hard. But I feel like I owe my daughter something, she's been great, read the Harry Potter series, is learning Japanese, doing all kinds of stuff a kid can do in an epidemic.

This is also the hottest time of year here (obviously) and too hot to camp or something. We have a lot of beaches down on the Gulf Coast that are not like the Florida or Jersey beaches you see on TV, they are relatively isolated, not quite as "nice" in terms of perfect sand and water, it's rougher surf and more scrag-grass type of beach. Again, they are generally not that crowded even in the best of times.

We are extremely careful with masks, sunglasses, hats, and even gloves when we go into stores or out and around.

I am thinking about taking her on a 2 day beach "hiking" trip, where we don't necessarily lay-out and swim in some calm perfect water and sand, more like hiking the water line of some hard surf turquoise water, while keeping a long way from others.

So far the studies show that outdoors is far safer with respect to any spread. Plus, I just don't think it'd be that hard to keep some distances between people.

We could be at a great outer barrier beach in 90 mins, if we went through drive throughs to eat and used our masks whenever around others, do people here think that would be a responsible answer to "hard on 12 year old summer vacation"???

I genuinely want opinions.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Obviously any sort of summer vacation is hard. But I feel like I owe my daughter something, she's been great, read the Harry Potter series, is learning Japanese, doing all kinds of stuff a kid can do in an epidemic.

This is also the hottest time of year here (obviously) and too hot to camp or something. We have a lot of beaches down on the Gulf Coast that are not like the Florida or Jersey beaches you see on TV, they are relatively isolated, not quite as "nice" in terms of perfect sand and water, it's rougher surf and more scrag-grass type of beach. Again, they are generally not that crowded even in the best of times.

We are extremely careful with masks, sunglasses, hats, and even gloves when we go into stores or out and around.

I am thinking about taking her on a 2 day beach "hiking" trip, where we don't necessarily lay-out and swim in some calm perfect water and sand, more like hiking the water line of some hard surf turquoise water, while keeping a long way from others.

So far the studies show that outdoors is far safer with respect to any spread. Plus, I just don't think it'd be that hard to keep some distances between people.

We could be at a great outer barrier beach in 90 mins, if we went through drive throughs to eat and used our masks whenever around others, do people here think that would be a responsible answer to "hard on 12 year old summer vacation"???

***I'm not a doctor, or medical professional***

I would feel pretty safe doing what you are considering doing with your daughter. I have read similar to you that outdoors is much safer than indoors. I have read that protests have not led to many people getting the virus. We saw that earlier in the year with the protests against the states and then with the BLM protests. When I go hiking in a more crowded area I generally have a bandana to pull over my face when I pass other people on the trail. Beach backpacking trip with daughter sounds fun. I have been thinking of a short backpacking trip I want to do with my daughter this summer, but the place I was thinking is still covered with snow. It's a 2.5 mile hike to a lake surrounded be a couple of mountains. My plan is to camp there and then spend a day exploring the area. I want it to be easy enough for her that she has fun. It sounds like you are trying to do the same.
    Bring back the OCC

Awesome job alum. From your pictures, is Shasta getting as crowded as Everest?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

This thread is one of the few remaining on the GUB that I look forward to. Thanks for sharing your accounts, photos, and more with us. I hope it continues for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Awesome job alum. From your pictures, is Shasta getting as crowded as Everest?
    it didn't seem crowded until I got to the summit. I think the day I went up was probably one of the best days to do it (considering weather, snow). So it was probably the most crowded it will be all year.
    Bring back the OCC

From all the reading I do, outdoor spread is pretty rare. You have to be close together for extended periods of time. I never wear masks when I jog or cycle since those are solitary activities.

I have been doing a few hikes up in the Shenandoahs and I am easily comfortable with the distancing. I have taken my daughter and a couple of her friends on hikes. It is a good way to get some socialization as well as exercise and mental rejuvenation. I do go early, that has always been my personal preference. Hikers tend to like solitude so they are usually more respectful of space naturally. I am finding that there can be more crowds now that other forms of entertainment are curtailed, but staying off of weekends and holidays is a way around that.

I say go, keep your space, pack a mask for if it gets crowded or you decide to stop at a drive thru on the way home.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Congrats GU03!! Thats an awesome accomplishment!

Thank you to all.

What I meant by 2 day is like I said, leave at 7:00 a.m. and be on the sand by 9:30 (after looking the scene over), packed lunch, bring dog, (these are beaches on the outer reef, some of them you have to hike a half mile on boarded trail, then the beaches are far more natural, not manicured. They have little hills with scrag grass on top, but then nice sand up near the water line.

We'd hike up and back a couple hours looking at shells, mostly meditating to wave crashing sounds (it's rougher surf, very hard to swim, so most people just go waist high). VERY warm water, warmer than Hawaii, Gulf just circulates, it's why hurricanes go nuts.

Then sort of make a judgment call based on a review of the scene in the towns on the beach. If it appears that the hotels aren't used much, we might stay a night (we have read that if a room is not used 2 nights in a row, and thoroughly cleaned it is safe), we'd stay and hit another beach next day. If it looks "iffy" we'd just drive back, be home by 5:30, and maybe drive to a second beach next day.

To me, all that sounds safe. We avoid restaurants, bars (obviously), crowded boardwalks (there are none) and the Gulf is generally very warm air (bc it comes up from the Caribiean) but with a bit of a breeze.

I literally cannot think of a safer vacation. I work some every single day, but I can do half my stuff in 2-3 hrs, so I can even "work" both days. I feel guilty bc we take care of granny (87) and my daughter was supposed to go to Atlanta and New Orleans with her Gifted program, she's missed out on all that. Wife says she supports me taking her and wife will stay with granny. I feel like … Dad has to come through on this one. I'm trying.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thank you to all.

What I meant by 2 day is like I said, leave at 7:00 a.m. and be on the sand by 9:30 (after looking the scene over), packed lunch, bring dog, (these are beaches on the outer reef, some of them you have to hike a half mile on boarded trail, then the beaches are far more natural, not manicured. They have little hills with scrag grass on top, but then nice sand up near the water line.

We'd hike up and back a couple hours looking at shells, mostly meditating to wave crashing sounds (it's rougher surf, very hard to swim, so most people just go waist high). VERY warm water, warmer than Hawaii, Gulf just circulates, it's why hurricanes go nuts.

Then sort of make a judgment call based on a review of the scene in the towns on the beach. If it appears that the hotels aren't used much, we might stay a night (we have read that if a room is not used 2 nights in a row, and thoroughly cleaned it is safe), we'd stay and hit another beach next day. If it looks "iffy" we'd just drive back, be home by 5:30, and maybe drive to a second beach next day.

To me, all that sounds safe. We avoid restaurants, bars (obviously), crowded boardwalks (there are none) and the Gulf is generally very warm air (bc it comes up from the Caribiean) but with a bit of a breeze.

I literally cannot think of a safer vacation. I work some every single day, but I can do half my stuff in 2-3 hrs, so I can even "work" both days. I feel guilty bc we take care of granny (87) and my daughter was supposed to go to Atlanta and New Orleans with her Gifted program, she's missed out on all that. Wife says she supports me taking her and wife will stay with granny. I feel like … Dad has to come through on this one. I'm trying.
    I just finished a week off with my kids. We never traveled more than two hours from the house, but we packed a lot of great outdoor experiences into that week. We spent a lot of time on and around the water - mostly kayaking and swimming in the lakes and rivers near our home. We did some cycling and hiking. We grilled just about every night and used the fire pit in my backyard most nights. It felt like a real vacation, even though we slept in our own beds and never ate out.

Enjoy the time off.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I just finished a week off with my kids. We never traveled more than two hours from the house, but we packed a lot of great outdoor experiences into that week. We spent a lot of time on and around the water - mostly kayaking and swimming in the lakes and rivers near our home. We did some cycling and hiking. We grilled just about every night and used the fire pit in my backyard most nights. It felt like a real vacation, even though we slept in our own beds and never ate out.

Enjoy the time off.
    That sounds exactly like the type of thing we need.

It's kind of sh*tty, in a sense, bc we live literally 1.5 miles from a big state campground right on a big reservoir. In pre-COVID times on a Sat afternoon, she and I would just drive down there and walk among the boaters, inevitably someone would invite us out on a boat ride or even let her tube behind a boat.

So long as one is nice and just talking to people, we always got invited out, and now I'm not comfortable doing that, even though outside is safer, it's not so safe that we can be mingling with strangers on power boats.
    Mark Twain.

I think it was Wednesday I did a mellow hike with my mom. We don't get to go very often, we both really enjoyed it. Went about 2 miles along the Wild & Scenic designated Salmon River that drains some of the south side of Mt. Hood. The river is beautiful, a nice variety of flowers blooming, some really big impressive cedar trees.

Was up on the north side of Hood today. Scouting out where I'm planning on taking my oldest nephew on his first backpacking trip in a few weeks. 10+ miles, intersects the Timberline Trail (around the mountain) right by camp. Good views off and on, nice flower displays again. I think it's going to fit the bill nicely for this backpacking outing.

I think it was Wednesday I did a mellow hike with my mom. We don't get to go very often, we both really enjoyed it. Went about 2 miles along the Wild & Scenic designated Salmon River that drains some of the south side of Mt. Hood. The river is beautiful, a nice variety of flowers blooming, some really big impressive cedar trees.

Was up on the north side of Hood today. Scouting out where I'm planning on taking my oldest nephew on his first backpacking trip in a few weeks. 10+ miles, intersects the Timberline Trail (around the mountain) right by camp. Good views off and on, nice flower displays again. I think it's going to fit the bill nicely for this backpacking outing.
    I am trying to plan a backpacking trip for the first week of August. It sounds like your's is going to be a lot of fun.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I am trying to plan a backpacking trip for the first week of August. It sounds like your's is going to be a lot of fun.
    I hope so. I feel pretty honored to take my nephew on his first overnighter. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't before with my bro.

Do you know where you're going for your trip?

I hope so. I feel pretty honored to take my nephew on his first overnighter. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't before with my bro.

Do you know where you're going for your trip?
    We have been talking about yellow aster butte. I love that area. There might still be a lot of snow up there because there hasn't been a trip report on WTA for 8 months.
    Bring back the OCC

We have been talking about yellow aster butte. I love that area. There might still be a lot of snow up there because there hasn't been a trip report on WTA for 8 months.
    That's a great location if conditions allow it.

That's a great location if conditions allow it.
    We are planning on climbing Tomyhoi while up there too. I forgot that part. Have you climbed Tomyhoi before?
    Bring back the OCC

We are planning on climbing Tomyhoi while up there too. I forgot that part. Have you climbed Tomyhoi before?
    Yeah, I got it on my second or third attempt, can't quite remember. There can be some weird transitions between snow and rock depending on time of year. There's even a small glacier up there. I tried it again year's later, got close to the summit but some of the exposure I wasn't feeling great about so I backed off. I'd already climbed it, didn't need to force myself into an uncomfortable position to do it again. I was WAY bolder in my 20s and early 30s than I am now. That's not intending to scare you off. I'd say there's a little bit of class 4 and class 3, mostly class 2. There are definitely some no fall areas. Even if you don't summit, it's a super cool up and down ridge traverse beyond the lakes. There's a good path for most of it.