Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: any other hikers here?

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I attempted to climb Granite Mountain yesterday. I got within about 300 vertical feet from the top when I decided to turn around. The boulders I was climbing on were slippery and I came to one that I did not feel comfortable climbing over. On my way down I was talking to a hiker heading up and told him I didn’t make it. He told me that you don’t do the boulders this time of year and that there is a trail that goes around the boulders. Darn it. Oh well, guess that means I need to go back. The weather was great and I had great views of Rainier, Silver Peak, Kaleetan Peak, etc.
    What's that saying? Something being the better part of valor? Or whatever.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Granite Mountain is a good one. So close 03. You'll get it next time!

I did hear something about the stranded PCT hikers. Indian Pass is a lovely area in the summer. Not so much when buried under fresh snow apparently.

Come on Bart, why the bah humbug about the PCT? Thru hikers are a different breed, but it's pretty cool that people attempt something so audacious. I've just done little bits and pieces here and there, not even section hikes, but I enjoy it. Makes for some enjoyable loops or traverses. October weather, you never know. Last year they still would've been golden at this time, but this year is a different story.

Today I wanted to enjoy the nice weather doing something fairly quick and easy w/ a short drive. So I hit Lake 22. That's usually a way off season hike for me. I'm not sure that I've ever done it when it's completely melted out, and certainly not on a sunny day with some beautiful fall colors around. Quite lovely. A handful of other hikers out but not overcrowded. Bunch of pikas could be heard all around the lake. I only saw 1 though.

Since it was pretty easy, after I finished I moved over slightly to the west and also did Heather Lake. Lake 22 is nicer but it makes for a decent twofer, got in around 11 miles for the day.

The PCT is the white whale....the only good thing I can say about it is that the Pacific Northwest Scenic Trail is a even dumber idea....

Ha ha. Well the PNT probably doesn't see even 10% of the traffic that the PCT does, and it hasn't been popularized by an Oprah Book Club book and Hollywood film featuring Reese Witherspoon.

Thus far I've had zero interest or inclination in attempting any of the long thru hikes, and probably never will. Like I said though I have utilized portions of the PCT for some great LONG day hikes and multiple day backpacking trips. Particularly in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, but also Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Goat Rocks Wilderness, and some non Wilderness Area hikes north of Hwy 20. Not to mention in Oregon and California. The PCT is pretty cool in my book.

And as much as the PCT traverses thru some choice terrain in Washington, it still misses a bunch of the best parts. Nowhere close to Mt. Baker, barely nicks a corner of Mt. Rainier NP, misses the coolest parts of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, etc. etc.

The subject of transportation system analysis is too complicated for my typing skill but I will say with total confidence that every resource manager along it's route would agree that if you wanted to build a trail from Mexico to Canada.... considering costs and benefits and resource damage....... you could not pick a worse corridor than " the crest of the mountains."

If we meet in person at some time, I would be happy to discuss it with you or even show you what I mean. The enabling legislation of the of the PCT in 1968 was essentially a repeal of the Wilderness Act in the Sierra and Cascade Mountain Ranges.....that is unless you consider irreversible and irretrievable human impacts to be consistent with the definition of Wilderness as found in the 1964 Law.
    Last edited by bartruff1; 10-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Oh. Well isn't any trail building somewhat contradictory to the Wilderness Act then? Also I thought large portions of the PCT were already existing and the building of the National Scenic Trail was mostly a matter of connecting the existing trail segments. I hear references sometimes to a precursor to the PCT here in Washington that I believe was called the Cascade Crest Trail. I think the PCT simply engulfed some of it, in other places it's no longer an officially maintained trail but intrepid hikers can still find it. In California a large portion of the PCT thru the Sierras is also the John Muir Trail. Was the JMT already there and the PCT simply incorporated it?

Google is handy. The JMT shares 160 of it's 210 miles w/ the PCT. Construction began in 1915 and was completed in 1938.

The PCT was first proposed in 1932, intending to link the existing JMT and Tahoe-Yosemite Trail in California, the Skyline Trail in Oregon, and the Cascade Crest Trail in Washington.

But enough of that.

Today I challenged myself quite a bit more than Tuesday. Wanted to get up higher to enjoy the views and sunshine. Intended to hike beyond the Monte Cristo townsite to Twin Lakes. Probably not all the way to the lakes, but 1/2 mile short of them is a good overlook. Well...I almost made it. Started encountering snow right around Poodle Dog Pass. Patchy and not too deep at first, but then it got more constant and deeper. Was crusted up and sometimes held my weight, but I started punching through consistently. Knee deep post holing really slows down the pace. I got probably not much more than 1/4 of a mile from the overlook, decided to call it. Didn't see the lakes, but still got in your face views of Columbia Peak and a whole bunch of other mountains. Didn't see anybody the whole day until I was headed back out, below Monte Cristo. Good day in the hills. Probably somewhere in the 15-16 mile range. It really wasn't the mileage, it was the wallowing in the snow.

Squeezed in a couple more hikes right at the end of the nice weather window. Drove out to the road end beyond Salmon la Sac. Paddy Go Easy Pass/Sprite Lake on Monday, Tuck and Robin Lakes on Tuesday. Snow up higher, crusted up fairly well, barely punched thru. Between Tuck and Robin there were some smears of ice coating some of the rocks. Small tarns are frozen up but all of the bigger lakes are ice free still. Saw what must have been a swan on Hyas Lake. It was huge! Great views of Mt. Daniel and various other peaks on both hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Squeezed in a couple more hikes right at the end of the nice weather window. Drove out to the road end beyond Salmon la Sac. Paddy Go Easy Pass/Sprite Lake on Monday, Tuck and Robin Lakes on Tuesday. Snow up higher, crusted up fairly well, barely punched thru. Between Tuck and Robin there were some smears of ice coating some of the rocks. Small tarns are frozen up but all of the bigger lakes are ice free still. Saw what must have been a swan on Hyas Lake. It was huge! Great views of Mt. Daniel and various other peaks on both hikes.
    Cool weather is coming in a bit early; glad you got out into it.

We were in the Cascades and on Orcas last week, but circumstances conspired to keep us in the car, on the road for the Cascades stretch. We did hike sea-to-summit up Turtleback on Orcas (surreal haze), and enjoyed some amazing hikes in Moran State Park, including procuring a sunny summit on Mt. Constitution all to ourselves. Baker was outstanding in perfect clarity, and we could see so much of the coastline, from well north of Vancouver BC down to a faint-but-visible Rainier. Spectacular! That is one of my favorite 360 degree views.

North Cascades Highway, just days before closure for the season

From Turtleback, another huge space entirely to ourselves start to finish. It was like hiking in Rivendell.

Man, this view from Mt. Constitution...
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Nice ZagPhish! I've only been out to the San Juan Islands a few times. Orcas has plenty of stuff to do, including some unique hikes. Glad you got a nice clear summit view.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Cool weather is coming in a bit early; glad you got out into it.

We were in the Cascades and on Orcas last week, but circumstances conspired to keep us in the car, on the road for the Cascades stretch. We did hike sea-to-summit up Turtleback on Orcas (surreal haze), and enjoyed some amazing hikes in Moran State Park, including procuring a sunny summit on Mt. Constitution all to ourselves. Baker was outstanding in perfect clarity, and we could see so much of the coastline, from well north of Vancouver BC down to a faint-but-visible Rainier. Spectacular! That is one of my favorite 360 degree views.

North Cascades Highway, just days before closure for the season

From Turtleback, another huge space entirely to ourselves start to finish. It was like hiking in Rivendell.

Man, this view from Mt. Constitution...
    Great pics! Looks like you had a great time!
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Great pics! Looks like you had a great time!
    Same here, nice pics Phish.

I went hiking today on the Pratt Lake trail. The plan was to go to Rainbow Lake. We made it about 4 miles and turned around because of the time. It was a good hike all in all. We had 3 to 4 inches of snow for about half of the hike.

Bring back the OCC

So much snow so early this year! I wasn't quite ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    So much snow so early this year! I wasn't quite ready for this.
    It's pretty exciting. I picked the right year to give skiing a try. I used to snowboard when I was younger, but I think I want to learn how to ski now. My daughter, who is 9, wants to learn snowboarding. We are going to take lessons this year.

I'm thinking of buying some snow shoes too. I rented some last year when I attempted Mt St Helens. It was very nice to put them on when I started postholing.

I'm pretty excited about the snow.
    Bring back the OCC

You will have a ball...I will send you a pic of my snow machine that can take 4 skiers into the backcountry....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    You will have a ball...I will send you a pic of my snow machine that can take 4 skiers into the backcountry....
    that sounds cool
    Bring back the OCC

9 to 12 is just the perfect age to ski with your kids....before that, they lose interest and get wet and cold and want to go home.... after that....it is the dreaded...." you can drop me off here."....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    9 to 12 is just the perfect age to ski with your kids....before that, they lose interest and get wet and cold and want to go home.... after that....it is the dreaded...." you can drop me off here."....
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right