Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: any other hikers here?

I got to watch a bear browsing in a meadow for 20-30 minutes on a recent hike. It was fairly near the trail. Usually they run away immediately, but it seemed completely unconcerned about the nearby hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I got to watch a bear browsing in a meadow for 20-30 minutes on a recent hike. It was fairly near the trail. Usually they run away immediately, but it seemed completely unconcerned about the nearby hikers.
    Wow, that's pretty amazing. I'm not sure what I would do if I saw one like that. I have only seen bears from the car. On my way to the trailhead a few days ago a bear ran in front of us and we nearly hit it. I was passenger and saw it coming from my side and was able to warn the driver in time. Otherwise, I think we would have hit it.
    Bring back the OCC

I met up with my brother-in-law on Thursday and we drove to the trailhead for Olancha Peak (a 12,123 foot peak in South Sierra) that night. We got to the trailhead around 11:30 PM and didn't get to bed until midnight. There was no moon and no light. The stars were everywhere and we saw the milky way. We woke up the next morning at 5:30, but didn't get going until 6:45. We started about 5,800 feet and headed up the trail. You go over Olancha pass to get to the Pacific Crest Trail. It's pretty steep and the trail is very sandy. It made for a tough hike to get to the pass. We took a short cut that my brother-in-law had read about online that followed a dry creek bed and cut about a mile from the route. The PCT was at about 9,000 feet and was a nice break from going up. After about 9.5 miles we were at the base of Olancha. Olancha is very steep with no trail to the top. Once you get above the trees there were lots of loose rocks and boulders. We had wanted to turn around no later than 2, but we were so close at 1:45 that we decided to keep going. I was so exhausted and still had 600 feet to go. My brother-in-law is in better shape and was out ahead of me. He was taking the easier, smarter, and longer route and I figured I could keep up with him if I kept going straight up. It was challenging. The boulders were about 10 feet high in places and it was fun climbing them. When I finally made it to the top we decided not to linger more than a few minutes. My summit beer would have to wait. We took some pictures and headed back down. I took his route down this time. We decided to take the direct route on the way back which was longer, but easier to find the trail. We hit the junction with the PCT and the trail back to the car just as the sun started setting. We turned on our headlamps around 6:30 and figured we had about 4 miles left. It was tough hiking in the pitch black. We didn't make it back to the car until 9:30. It was 22 miles and 6,300 feet of elevation gain.

Bring back the OCC

Go up Poe Mountain Trail at Lake Wenatchee next fall when the berries are ripe and you will see some bears....I have had them on my deck here.

The search and rescue folks are still picking up PCT hikers.....the snow is here now...

Wow gu03, that's a long day! Nice accomplishment.

A couple PCTers got out safely last week. I've heard of at least one still missing at this point.