Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103

Thread: MBB Non-Conference Schedule

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    156

    Default MBB Non-Conference Schedule

    2016-17 Gonzaga Men’s Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

    Date Opponent Location
    Nov. 5 WEST GEORGIA # (EXHIBITION) SPOKANE
    Nov. 11 UTAH VALLEY SPOKANE
    Nov. 14 SAN DIEGO STATE SPOKANE
    Nov. 18 BRYANT SPOKANE
    AdvoCare Invitational Orlando, FL
    Nov. 24 Quinnipiac Orlando, FL
    Nov. 25 Florida/Seton Hall Orlando, FL
    Nov. 27 TBD Orlando, FL
    Dec. 1 MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE SPOKANE
    Dec. 3 Arizona Los Angeles, CA
    Dec. 7 WASHINGTON SPOKANE
    Dec. 10 AKRON SPOKANE
    Dec. 18 Tennessee Nashville, TN
    Dec. 21 SOUTH DAKOTA SPOKANE


    Men’s Basketball Releases Non-Conference Schedule
    Gonzaga faces Arizona, San Diego State and Washington in 2016-17

    SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga men's basketball head coach Mark Few announced his team's 12-game non-conference schedule for the upcoming season Friday.

    The non-conference slate features seven games inside the McCarthey Athletic Center. The Zags face a potential of six teams that advanced to the postseason in 2015-16, including three that finished in the NCAA Tournament.

    Gonzaga will play on three neutral courts, with a matchup against perennial power Arizona in the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Dec. 3. The Bulldogs also face Tennessee in Nashville and are a participant in the eight-team AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Fla.

    “We have another really tough non-conference schedule and are excited to take part in a great neutral court tournament in Orlando,” Few said. “Our strength of schedule will serve us well to prepare for what will also be a strong league schedule.”

    After an exhibition with West Georgia at the McCarthey Athletic Center on Nov. 5, the Zags open the regular season at home versus Utah Valley on Nov. 11. It will be the first-ever meeting between GU and the Wolverines. UVU finished fourth in the Western Athletic Conference last season.

    San Diego State and Gonzaga begin a home-and-home series in Spokane on Nov. 14, with the Bulldogs returning to San Diego in 2017-18. It will be the third all-time meeting between the programs and the first since 2010. The three-time defending Mountain West Conference regular-season champion Aztecs won 28 games last season.

    Bryant returns to Spokane for a matchup with GU on Nov. 18. The Zags eased to a 100-76 win in the first-ever meeting in 2013. Sam Dower led Gonzaga with 21 points and 17 rebounds, while Przemek Karnowski added 10 points. Bryant, also nicknamed the Bulldogs, welcomes back its top four scorers, including the 2015-16 Northeast Conference Rookie of the Year Marcel Pettway.

    Gonzaga opens the AdvoCare Invitational against Quinnipiac in another first-ever meeting. The Zags will face either Florida or Seton Hall in their second game inside the HP Field House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. NCAA Tournament teams Miami and Iowa State are on the opposite side of the bracket, along with Stanford and Indiana State.

    The Bulldogs begin December against Mississippi Valley State on the first. GU won the only previous meeting with the Delta Devils, 92-74, in the 2009 season-opener.

    Arizona and Gonzaga square off for the fourth straight season, along with the fifth time out of the last six years. The Wildcats rallied for a 68-63 win in Spokane last season. The teams battled to an overtime finish in Tucson in 2014. The 2016 meeting takes place in the inaugural Hoophall LA showcase presented by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The game will be the first of a doubleheader inside the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

    The Bulldogs meet another Pac-12 foe on Dec. 7, when they begin a home-and-home series with Washington. This year’s matchup is in Spokane, with the 2017-18 game in Seattle. The Huskies finished last season in the second round of the NIT with 19 wins.

    Gonzaga welcomes Akron on Dec. 10. The Zips return three starters and nine letterwinners from last season's squad that won the Mid-American Conference regular season title and ended the year in the NIT. Akron matched a school-record with 26 victories in 2015-16.

    On Dec. 18, the Zags make a trek to Nashville, Tenn., for a matchup with Tennessee inside Bridgestone Arena. GU held off the Volunteers last season in Seattle, 86-79. Tennessee’s roster features only three upperclassmen, but includes senior Robert Hubbs III, who averaged double digits in scoring last season.

    Gonzaga closes its non-conference slate at home versus South Dakota on Dec. 21. The Bulldogs won the only other matchup with USD, 96-58, in 2012. Karnowski led all scorers with 20 points in that win in Spokane. The Coyotes won 14 games last season, before falling in the opening round of the Summit League tournament.

    “From a scheduling standpoint, we are excited about the strength of our non-conference opponents, but we are disappointed to not be able to book a Battle in Seattle opponent this year,” Director of Athletics Mike Roth said. “Our presence in Seattle is very important to us, and we have had great support every game we’ve played there. We worked very hard to find a quality opponent for the Battle in Seattle, as we’ve found that having a quality opponent is key to the success of the game and also to the success of our program as it builds a strong annual resume. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find that right fit this year. We will continue to work on finding future opponents so that we can provide Zag alums and fans in the Seattle area top-flight Gonzaga Basketball.”

    Gonzaga ended last season in the Sweet 16 with a 28-8 record. The Zags advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the 18th straight season after claiming their 19th West Coast Conference title.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,069

    Default

    Somebody's going ask "Why is GU playing West Georgia and not Whitworth, Lewis & Clark, etc.?

    West Georgia is coached by Mike Cooney. Mike is a GU graduate and former MBB student manager . His family are long-time GU boosters. Mike is a Zag.

    When Germayne Forbes and Jay Sherrell transferred, they wound up at W. Georgia; Forbes went on to be all-conference his senior year.

    It will be great to see Mike back in Spokane.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Nice Angelo! I didn't wonder but it's always great to support the Zag Family!! Good to see Mike back in town.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Since 3 games are part of a tournament, doesn't this leave room for one additional game? A date (perhaps the slot for the cancelled BIS), and an opponent would have to be found, but think Zags are allowed 31 games.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    So why aren't we playing Whitworth or Lewis and Clark ???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,063

    Default

    I would have liked one of those teams above to be replaced by either wsu or eastern in the Spokane arena. Play a local team that fans have the ability to see in-person.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I would have liked one of those teams above to be replaced by either wsu or eastern in the Spokane arena. Play a local team that fans have the ability to see in-person.
    Absolutely.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,523

    Default

    This would be a good year to play at UW. We have a lot of home games, no road games, and nothing in Seattle.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,695

    Default 31 games. ( Oops, 30 games.)

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Since 3 games are part of a tournament, doesn't this leave room for one additional game? A date (perhaps the slot for the cancelled BIS), and an opponent would have to be found, but think Zags are allowed 31 games.


    10 - OOC Games.
    3 - Advocare.
    18 - WCC.

    Edit, I counted the exhibition game. (My bad)

    30 Games.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,401

    Default

    Why couldn't Bryant or Utah valley or South Dakota be Washington state?
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    1,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Why couldn't Bryant or Utah valley or South Dakota be Washington state?
    Because it would require a home game in Pullman.
    11 cheers for binary!

    "Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    Honestly, not too many big names on that schedule.

    As a wise man once said, just win.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,632

    Default

    Daunting, it is not.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Honestly, not too many big names on that schedule.

    As a wise man once said, just win.
    Come on! Arizona, Stanford, Florida, Miami, Seton Hall (won the Big East Tournament last year and would love to play us), Tennessee, UW, San Diego St. and Akron is a good team. We played them in the NCAA Tournament a few years back, and they almost always win their conference. Arizona, Florida, Miami, Seton Hall San Diego St and the UW could all be top 50 teams in the RPI. I think these are good games and I love the schedule. I think Seton Hall returns all their starters.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,575

    Default

    Whitehead went to the draft and Gordon graduated from Seton Hall ----they lost #1 and #5 scorers (the two leading scorers from our game against them). They do bring in a top 100 shooting guard in Powell.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron, UW ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but I see some hard games in the OOC.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by primal23 View Post
    Because it would require a home game in Pullman.
    Dumb logic. Not your logic. I appreciate the response. I'd give up a home game vs Idaho State Technological Institute of blind truck drivers to go play @ Pullman
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but Isee some hard games in the OOC.
    Only three games worry me. Arizona, SDSU and Championship of that tournament. We are killing Seton Hall or Florida
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,732

    Default

    No true road games?
    Go Zags!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SDSU, Zona, Seton Hall /Florida, Akron, UW ....isn't tough enough? I know they all have my attention. Maybe not the biggest of names but I see some hard games in the OOC.
    Disagree, Doc. This is a nice OOC schedule for a P5 team that has ample opportunity to make points during the regular season. A weak field in the tourney does no favors and SDSU is still perceived as a regional player not a national one. So is Setonia. The Zips? Please Only Zona adds luster and this is not Billy D's Gators by any means. Good schedule for new parts getting fitted in, I concede that, but not one for a top 5 or top 10 aspirant, IMO.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Disagree, Doc. This is a nice OOC schedule for a P5 team that has ample opportunity to make points during the regular season. A weak field in the tourney does no favors and SDSU is still perceived as a regional player not a national one. So is Setonia. The Zips? Please Only Zona adds luster and this is not Billy D's Gators by any means. Good schedule for new parts getting fitted in, I concede that, but not one for a top 5 or top 10 aspirant, IMO.
    I'm w you Jazz. A solid but by no means great out of conference schedule good for this team with so many new players. I sure hope Zags aim higher with 2017-18 schedule as we will have a veteran team quite possibly top 10 ranking...gotta hunt the big game: UNC, Duke, Kansas
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,303

    Default

    Here are some of my thoughts on scheduling. First: teams like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and maybe a few others will never come into the Kennel to play Gonzaga. AND Few will no longer schedule games with these top teams that are not home and home. In his mind Gonzaga is on an equal plane as they are. And I agree with him. I think when scheduling non conference games, most likely he wants to schedule 4 or 5 games with teams in the top 50, or teams that could make the NCAA Tournament. The Orlando Advocare Tournament is a pretty good tournament with teams like Miami, Iowa St, Florida and Seton Hall could make the NCAA Tournament. Miami and Iowa St should be in the top 50. And playing Florida or Seton Hall early in the season will be a real test. PLaying Tennessee in Tennessee is a road game and should be a tough game. Arizona in LA is certainly going to be tough, and they will be a top 50 team this year. San Diego St, imo, is better than Jazz thinks. In the last five years they have had good to great teams. I'm glad we're playing them at home this year. But IMO they are a top 50 and certainly a top 100 team. Finally, the UW game is ALWAYS a great game to play. I'm so happy they're on our OOC schedule once again, and who knows they could always be a top 50 team and certainly a top 100 team. The problem Gonzaga had last year was that they lost many of those OOC games that were in the top 50 or even top 100. We even lost a number of home games last year. I am hoping they don't have that problem this year. I agree with Jazz when he says that for this Gonzaga team this is a good schedule.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Here are some of my thoughts on scheduling. First: teams like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and maybe a few others will never come into the Kennel to play Gonzaga. AND Few will no longer schedule games with these top teams that are not home and home. In his mind Gonzaga is on an equal plane as they are. And I agree with him. I think when scheduling non conference games, most likely he wants to schedule 4 or 5 games with teams in the top 50, or teams that could make the NCAA Tournament. The Orlando Advocare Tournament is a pretty good tournament with teams like Miami, Iowa St, Florida and Seton Hall could make the NCAA Tournament. Miami and Iowa St should be in the top 50. And playing Florida or Seton Hall early in the season will be a real test. PLaying Tennessee in Tennessee is a road game and should be a tough game. Arizona in LA is certainly going to be tough, and they will be a top 50 team this year. San Diego St, imo, is better than Jazz thinks. In the last five years they have had good to great teams. I'm glad we're playing them at home this year. But IMO they are a top 50 and certainly a top 100 team. Finally, the UW game is ALWAYS a great game to play. I'm so happy they're on our OOC schedule once again, and who knows they could always be a top 50 team and certainly a top 100 team. The problem Gonzaga had last year was that they lost many of those OOC games that were in the top 50 or even top 100. We even lost a number of home games last year. I am hoping they don't have that problem this year. I agree with Jazz when he says that for this Gonzaga team this is a good schedule.
    So you're saying Few and Zags are too good for the anyone anytime anywhere junkyard dog attitude that got em this far? Too bad if true. I'd take an away or neutral game vs the blue bloods with no return game any year
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    So you're saying Few and Zags are too good for the anyone anytime anywhere junkyard dog attitude that got em this far? Too bad if true. I'd take an away or neutral game vs the blue bloods with no return game any year
    Me too. Our recent pickiness with scheduling is really annoying me. We are annually a top 16 team. But no way do we get the respect we deserve till we get to a final four. Sad but true. We MUST stop acting like babies or we will be in a position with a damn good team but be an 11 seed barely making it every season.

    This is pathetic!!!!!!!!!

    If I was a blue blood I wouldn't do a home and home with Gonzaga either
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Dumb logic. Not your logic. I appreciate the response. I'd give up a home game vs Idaho State Technological Institute of blind truck drivers to go play @ Pullman
    While I would love to play WSU too, playing them ON THE ROAD is NOT a good idea for any team with Tourney aspirations. Quite simply, the Committee has repeatedly failed to understand how much harder it is to win on the road than at home. Beat WSU in Pullman, we get no credit whatsoever from the Committee. "It's just Wazzu, they stink!"

    Lose to them in Pullman (which we very well might...road games in college basketball are really hard), and we get knocked down multiple seed lines.

    These articles explain it much better than I can:

    https://thecauldron.si.com/nevermonm...a27#.t7220c67w

    http://basketballpredictions.blogspo...how-texas.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •