Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MBB Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Who cares...play them both and dominate OUR state!
    This....... There can be no doubt that victories over all D1s would be a great thing. WSU and UW. It's one of those things that matters to recruits......and I'd like to see it too!

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Who cares...play them both and dominate OUR state!
    What does playing Wazzu do for GU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Good points re Roy/Robinson etc, but Hawes didn't really fit Romar's style, and Wroten fell from first in his class as a high school fr to around 20 as a sr., was erratic and couldn't shoot. Fultz and Porter look to me to be good enough players, and smart enough, that they'll be stars out of the box. Both are top 3-4 in their classes at worst. Dime and Dickerson and Thybulle will all be better. I think Nowell will be very good. Barring injury, I see the Huskies making the tourney the next 2 years. Guess we'll see.
    Agree with you that Hawes didn't really fit. Also with Wroten there seemed to be a problem that whole year trying to figure out if it was Wroten's team or Ross's team.

Despite losing Murray and Chriss, I like the nucleus the Huskies have currently. If they can keep most/all of the rest of last year's Fr. class around for 2-3 years, that can be exactly the kind of team that Romar has had success with. Adding a really high caliber player for 1 year like Fultz and Porter won't hurt (you can just about pencil in both of those guys and one-and-doners already).

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post

More than playing Utah Valley and Mississippi Valley St.

More than Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    More than Bryant.
    More than South Dakota
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If Gonzaga gets a opportunity to play a elite program, no matter where the game is played, they will take it ......Just my opinion ...
    So you're telling me - that from 2006-2013 we could play anyone anytime anywhere from Duke, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Sate, Xavier, North Carolina, Butler, Memphis, Tennessee, Baylor, West Virginia, Wake Forest and MANY MANY MANY other GREAT teams when we played them....

And you're trying to tell me that we just can't work it out??????? We've had exciting non conference schedules every year till last year and mind you we still play Arizona which is exciting but that's it. And you're telling me that we can go out and play someone at their house because we don't have the opportunity????????

Not buying it
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I'm not telling you that at all, quite the opposite ..if Gonzaga is willing to go to Okinawa to play Pitt, I can't imagine they would turn down a opportunity to play Duke or Kansas or Kentucky or North Carolina or .....nearly anyone in the top 20 without a home and home agreement...

I'm not selling anything...

Default All I can say is "Bow-Wow."

Or maybe "Woof-Woof."

Utah Valley ? Arf

Mississippi Valley State? Arf.

Bryant? Arf.

Quinnipiac? Arf.

I suppose Akron and South Dakota could turn out to be decent opponents.

Somehow Florida was awarded a 13th non conference game with the help of Belmont, which is the only 1 of their opponents who they play within 14 days of the AdvoCare Invitational who was not playing in an exempt tournament in 2016-17.

http://floridagators.com/schedule.as...asketball-men&

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...808-story.html

This schedule is meh.

The Zags should make a statement and not schedule or play any of the games that this forum has problems with...including most conference games. They should go back to anybody, anytime, any where...as long as you are a power school!
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    This schedule is meh.
    Dont forget...if we beat either Florida or Seton Hall, we play the winner of Miami or Iowa St...both have great chance of Top-20, definitely the hurricanes.

What does playing Bryant do for GU???

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    What does playing Bryant do for GU???
    According to this site...WSU had an RPI of 217 last year.

http://rpiratings.com/mensrpi.php

The committee is going to pay attention to the math of the RPIs. A win to an RPI 217 doesn't do a thing for you. A loss kills you for seeding, etc. Any coach will tell you that you simply cannot go through the entire season with every game being a ball-buster. You have to be able to work on rotations, sets, situations. You cannot do that if every game is a barn-burner.

I don't think anyone can disagree that the WSU game does not play like a typical RPI 217 game. It is their big game. All their players hear about all the time is how good the Zags are, yada, yada, yada. When the game rolls around, they want to show everybody they can play too. No matter where the game is, it's tougher than your typical RPI 217. So, if you get all the risk of an RPI 217 game with absolutely no chance for the consideration of it being a tougher game, why not play teams like Eastern Kentucky (216) or Norfolk State (218) which might as well be named Bryant, etc for the purposes of this exercise.

The coaches know what they are doing. At least UW has a higher likelihood of being a better RPI game AND you get all the intangibles everyone is screaming about with the WSU game.

Just a question to those that are implying that Gonzaga would get more from playing WSU than Bryant, South Dakota, etc.... Do we really know that with any certainty? I would concede that WSU might be a better opponent, but what did WSU expect from that game financially? I would guess that they were asking more than they were worth with respect to the level of benefit they were providing. I don't know that for certain though and I would be curious to know.

Schools this close together should play each other. Wazzu is also another major conference team on the schedule, despite their potential RPI.
    AND... they're typically really fun games for the fans.

GU should keep this game on the schedule forever.

Some valid points, but I just think in terms of scheduling it looks better playing a bad team from a P5 conference than a bad team from a mid to low major conference. GU is already forced to play plenty of the latter in the WCC, why go seek out several more of them in OOC? If the coach just wants a glorified practice game to work on rotations and what not, why not schedule more exhibition games against D2 or NAIA schools that don't have any effect on RPI.

Seacat -- why doesn't Arizona play at Northern Arizona every other year? I see that the let them come play them in Tuscon-- any ideas why they don't give them a return game at their place every few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Seacat -- why doesn't Arizona play at Northern Arizona every other year? I see that the let them come play them in Tuscon-- any ideas why they don't give them a return game at their place every few years?
    I don't like it any more when Arizona plays weak OOC opponents than when Gonzaga does. In fact I think they played Utah Valley last year. The Cats used to play brutal OOC schedules during Lute's heyday, not the same anymore. As far as NAU specifically, I hadn't even noticed that there's never a return game. Maybe it's a guarantee game that helps NAU balance their athletic department budget every year. Man, NAU was truly awful last year, easily one of the worst teams in D1 (and both UA and GU played them).

College bball is also a business with LOTS of expenses.

It costs way more money to play WSU and more profit sharing. Games in the spokane arena arent free, less margin. WSU wanted $ too, not to mention unwilling to move game to K2.

The feel good local story is one thing but this is a business too.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Dont forget...if we beat either Florida or Seton Hall, we play the winner of Miami or Iowa St...both have great chance of Top-20, definitely the hurricanes.
    This fan would really like to see rematches with both Seton Hall and Iowa State. It's the NCAA tourney all over again! (Sorta).

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    This fan would really like to see rematches with both Seton Hall and Iowa State. It's the NCAA tourney all over again! (Sorta).

:]
    Rematch with Iowa St.? Have they ever played? That was Iowa 2 years ago at Key Arena.

Things are pretty well set. I'm guessing the new Director of Operations did the best he could. Still sore over the BIS being shelved.......but that's life for this season anyway. Lots of good names there. Maybe the talent isn't the greatest but that's a mixed I think anyway. I doubt we'll get through the OOC undefeated. Surely not the WCC either. A few creampuffs have made their way to the schedule . Young team and we have lots of new faces who might need some easier games to learn with and build on. Few knows his players. If the choice came down to WSU or Bryant, I still think I'd take WSU no matter the RPI. It'll be a good season but with all the new players, the serious bloom will be delayed wtill this group becomes a serious team.......just like last year ( maybe not THAT scary)..

There is always local interest to be considered. I know dozens of people from WSU....Eastern.....even Whitworth ....I don't know anyone from some of those schools or even where they are located.... plus there is the economic activity that is generated in the community when local schools are involved.....But.... it is what it is...