Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 122

Thread: Missing OCC

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    3,176

    Default

    I guess my blood pressure can now return to normal.



    ETA: It would be nice to meet up with some of you sometime. I'd probably be amazed how different my visual of someone is versus real life!

    See you all in the Foo and the basketball forums! It's been fun!
    _____________________________________________

    Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

    Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I'm sure most in OCC were well aware....one of our moderators was a retired or semi-retired Police Officer.....between Hoop and LIZF the OCC was under control IMO.....we would even self regulate each other to a certain degree....like adults.

    If people were threatened it was wrong and the offender(s) should have been terminated for life.

    I'm guessing the powers that be didn't want to be associated with controversal debate in any way .....shape ......or form. Let's be blunt and honest. They didn't want to be held accountable for our debates. We will continue to keep the Political conversations behind closed doors because some people are just uncomfortable reading let alone engaging in Political debates like adults.

    Just don't tell me the world is better because the OCC was terminated because you didn't like reading the debates.

    Such is life.
    Good grief, you're making this sounds like a case of martyrdom. They've very generously provided us free hosting over the years, and if they felt like they didn't want to deal with the controversy/division, then fine. In fact, this seems like the sort of "free speech" issue you'd be behind - if they didn't want to be associated with certain types of activities, they shouldn't have to be, right? As for engaging in debates like adults, given your response to f1d among others (who is a "conservative"), I'm thinking that it might be time for a mirror.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Good grief, you're making this sounds like a case of martyrdom. They've very generously provided us free hosting over the years, and if they felt like they didn't want to deal with the controversy/division, then fine. In fact, this seems like the sort of "free speech" issue you'd be behind - if they didn't want to be associated with certain types of activities, they shouldn't have to be, right? As for engaging in debates like adults, given your response to f1d among others (who is a "conservative"), I'm thinking that it might be time for a mirror.

    It actually didn't occur to me until your post that my fellow "conservatives" (ZaglawGrad, ZagCeo) were the ones complaining the most about the loss of their free stuff! For shame! (I'm kidding, kind of )

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    It actually didn't occur to me until your post that my fellow "conservatives" (ZaglawGrad, ZagCeo) were the ones complaining the most about the loss of their free stuff! For shame! (I'm kidding, kind of )
    It turns out up is down and left is right, nowadays. Good to see you around. I'd be happy to meet up for brewskis when the opportunity hits.
    Agent provocateur

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I guess my blood pressure can now return to normal.



    ETA: It would be nice to meet up with some of you sometime. I'd probably be amazed how different my visual of someone is versus real life!

    See you all in the Foo and the basketball forums! It's been fun!
    anytime .......pm me ....met some great people on this board and enjoyed each and everyone of them when we get together no matter political or ideological viewpoints.......it makes the world go round

    Ed Casey
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I am a political conservative. One of the most appealing aspects of conservatism to me is the concept of personal responsibility. That it is up to the individual to make his or her way in the world. That if you are hardworking you should be able to reap the benefits of your hard work. The flip side of that coin is that if you mess up, you should be held accountable.

    The Spokesman, to my knowledge, is a for profit publication. Should they not be able to protect their interests and the fruits of their labor by eliminating the knucklehead factory otherwise known as the OCC? Why should they be held to account for the actions of some a-hole who wants to kick someones ass because of a comment made on a message board?
    Well stated

    as to the violence aspect, very sad but a reflection of where we are in society today......civility, discussion, engagement has been replaced with name calling, threats of violence and real violence......
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Well stated

    as to the violence aspect, very sad but a reflection of where we are in society today......civility, discussion, engagement has been replaced with name calling, threats of violence and real violence......
    I was a moth drawn to light...not sorry to see it go and I also met some fine people, with whom I hope to physically meet in the future (Orlando, Nashville or Las Vegas) and buy the first round!


    Jim Tiessen
    Sun City Hilton Head
    Bluffton, SC


    GO ZAGS!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    It turns out up is down and left is right, nowadays. Good to see you around. I'd be happy to meet up for brewskis when the opportunity hits.

    One of these days. Where are you hanging your hat these days? To my recollection you were in Spokane?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Well stated

    as to the violence aspect, very sad but a reflection of where we are in society today......civility, discussion, engagement has been replaced with name calling, threats of violence and real violence......
    Thanks!

    And, I agree. Civility has gone out the window to a large degree and maybe actions like getting rid of the OCC can in some small way wake folks up to that fact and perhaps restore a little civility. Heck, I see some civility restoration in this very thread.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    One of these days. Where are you hanging your hat these days? To my recollection you were in Spokane?
    That is correct. And the same interest in meeting up for drinks goes for everyone else, except ZLG and CEO who would obviously expect me to pick up their rounds!
    just kidding just kidding just kidding just kidding ... yes, moth to flame.
    Agent provocateur

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    11,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    You got ribs? I just got tacos!
    GU Boards, where men (?) talk about their underwear.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Nobody asked me nor did anyone get my thoughts on this.

    I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

    I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

    I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

    I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

    If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

    And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

    What ever happened to freedom, liberty, and the American way?

    How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

    Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

    And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Nobody asked me nor did anyone get my thoughts on this.

    I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

    I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

    I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

    I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

    If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

    And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

    What ever happened to freedom, liberty, and the American way?

    How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

    Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

    And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.
    A lot of well said stuff here.

    I will actually miss hearing the arguments from the conservatives. One doesn't even "hear" from the other side in our polarized environment.

    I think that less drastic measures might have been tried.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Let's not forget one very important thing - for those of us who were active in the OCC, our seeding in the annual march madness tournament where we're paired with real teams is going to take a drastic hit.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    12,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Nobody asked me nor did anyone get my thoughts on this.

    I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

    I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

    I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

    I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

    If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

    And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

    What ever happened to freedom, liberty, and the American way?

    How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

    Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

    And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.
    That (bolded section) was my suggestion a few months ago. Create a separate forum for politics and another for arts and such. By combining them into one forum, it allowed politics to devour all other aspects. 95% of all topics in the OCC were political.

    As for the cancelation, I find it unfortunate but I get it. This forum was created for Gonzaga fans both old and new. If a newbie came to the forum to find out about Gonzaga, they could easily be turned off if they wandered into the OCC.

    Of course, there's never any discord in the MBB

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,199

    Default

    Free blunts and finger sandwiches during open enrollment in the Foo!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Free blunts and finger sandwiches during open enrollment in the Foo!
    On my way...

    Agent provocateur

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Nobody asked me nor did anyone get my thoughts on this.

    I disagree with F1D and with LIZF and with anyone else who thinks that simply abolishing the forum is the answer.

    I also disagree because capitulating by shutting down the forum is a concession that the animals run the zoo.

    I bit more active moderation and some well timed tactical bannings would have been much more effective at fostering a productive and intellectually engaging OCC.

    I believe in free and open communication in all forms, by and large, and subject to reason.

    If folks cry fire in a crowded theater, we punish them. We don't close down the theaters.

    And am I to suspect that now that the forum is gone, we are all just going to magically become friends and get along Rodney King style as if nothing ever happened?

    What ever happened to freedom, liberty, and the American way?

    How about a sub-furm for Political discussion, or something other than "crosby center," so that those of us who like to mix it up can do so in a productive fashion?

    Seriously, if only 2 or 3 of the worst offenders in the OCC were on time out or permanently banned we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

    And to simply zap the forum without any warning or discussion or feedback is a betrayal of epic magnitude.
    Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

    Oh, and Sonuvazag and WebSpinnre and Kitz would have to agree to be moderators.

    And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.


    Agreed by all?

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

    Oh, and Sonuvazag and WebSpinnre and Kitz would have to agree to be moderators.

    And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.


    Agreed by all?
    .

    Not sure if you have the pull and are serious, but it works for me. If someone threatens another, I don't understand why they would still be on here. But keep in mind that controversy over issues at the forefront in our country and candid, zealous discussion never hurt anyone who decided to voluntarily wander into a conversation.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,045

    Default Sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

    Oh, and Sonuvazag and WebSpinnre and Kitz would have to agree to be moderators.

    And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.


    Agreed by all?
    Fine with me. Ideally we could ban posters not from the entire site but just from the new OCC or whatever it's going to be called. I think ideally it would be a two step process: first violation, a significant but not lethal ban (two weeks; a month; whatever--long enough so the violator is on the sidelines until any threads he was involved in flaming into oblivion die down and drop out of the front page).

    Second violation: death penalty and have a nice life.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Fine with me. Ideally we could ban posters not from the entire site but just from the new OCC or whatever it's going to be called. I think ideally it would be a two step process: first violation, a significant but not lethal ban (two weeks; a month; whatever--long enough so the violator is on the sidelines until any threads he was involved in flaming into oblivion die down and drop out of the front page).

    Second violation: death penalty and have a nice life.
    Forum has been created. Once the posters here I mentioned agree to moderate, I'll post an email address in this thread where folks can request to be invited.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    42,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Forum has been created. Once the posters here I mentioned agree to moderate, I'll post an email address in this thread where folks can request to be invited.
    Why don't you moderate it, Rob ?


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    If it's your forum, why don't you moderate it ?

    3 active boys, a full time job, building a new business, etc... Don't want to, don't have the time if I did.

    And, the top reason, I would be terrible at it, lest we forget the last failed experiment with me being a moderator.

    I would offer moderation duties to you, but I assumed you wouldn't want to? Let me know if that's a faulty assumption?

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Ok, here's the deal. I'll look into creating a forum, BUT there would be strict rules and all participants would have to agree to being tested on basic civics, history and logic before gaining entry.

    Oh, and Sonuvazag and WebSpinnre and Kitz would have to agree to be moderators.

    And, there would be a zero tolerance policy. One violation, you're out. No ifs/ands/or buts.


    Agreed by all?
    Thank you for the kind thought, but check back in a month. We're hopefully in the process of buying a new house/moving in the next 2-3 weeks, though the close keeps getting bumped back.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    42,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    3 active boys, a full time job, building a new business, etc... Don't want to, don't have the time if I did.

    And, the top reason, I would be terrible at it, lest we forget the last failed experiment with me being a moderator.

    I would offer moderation duties to you, but I assumed you wouldn't want to? Let me know if that's a faulty assumption?
    Not a faulty assumption. Time for a new group of traffic cops.


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •