Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 122

Thread: Missing OCC

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    It's apparent what I said was true. Thanks for confirming. Thicker skin will do you some good. Good luck.
    That, of course, makes no sense. Kind of like when one of my kids when they were younger throwing a tantrum when some thing was taken from them.

    Fear not, your life does have meaning outside the OCC. Go forth and use your real voice. If you're so passionate, I suggest you actually get involved and affect real change.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,797

    Default

    Can't believe people in power just pulled the plug…….No warning…..No explanation…very sad and very cowardly IMO

    Their site their rules……

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    To all you OCC posters--None of you ever offended me enough to whine about taking it off this Board. That was a pathetic and ridiculous move, and advanced by weak minded people who were the whiners who wanted it removed. No one ever had to enter the OCC without wanting to. Whether I agreed or or disagreed with you, I always respected and appreciated your viewpoints. Best regards.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    That, of course, makes no sense. Kind of like when one of my kids when they were younger throwing a tantrum when some thing was taken from them.

    Fear not, your life does have meaning outside the OCC. Go forth and use your real voice. If you're so passionate, I suggest you actually get involved and affect real change.
    How do you know we all don't already affect real change?

    Why did you find it necessary to even read the OCC if you thought it should be burned down? Thats the ultimate tantrum.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,797

    Default

    So the Spokesman is the host and they pulled the plug?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,710

    Default

    I heard this was the place to come for free tacos?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    FYI----I do effect real change. I'm just not a weak whiner like you apparently are, or politically correct. Enter the OCC at your own risk. You missed that one. And if someone really listened to you, it was a real disservice. And childish by you to the extreme.

    Name calling? Cmon dude. Take a couple deep breaths.

    if you'd like to have an adult conversation, let me know. We can exchange contact info and I'll give you a call.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Name calling? Cmon dude. Take a couple deep breaths.

    if you'd like to have an adult conversation, let me know. We can exchange contact info and I'll give you a call.
    Thanks for the offer. But we wouldn't have anything in common. I don't offend easily by opinions, perhaps not at all, but apparently you do. Saw little to no comments by you on any topic in the OCC. So reading opinions offends you. Sad. Don't fear shadows and hype all of your life. Conversation is good. Whether you agree with or not. Good luck.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Thanks for the offer. But we wouldn't have anything in common. I don't offend easily, perhaps not at all, and you apparently do. Don't fear shadows and hype all of your in your life. Conversation is good. Whether you agree with or not. Good luck.
    Ok, just so we're clear you're not willing to have a real and likely polite conversation about our differences of opinion and stand behind that opinion like a grown adult. You would rather call names and cast insults anonymously?

    Im guessing you have let your passions get the better of you, because it's hard for me to believe that's the character of a fellow Gonzaga grad.

    The offers open my friend. I am offering the other cheek.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Ok, just so we're clear you're not willing to have a real and likely polite conversation about our differences of opinion and stand behind that opinion like a grown adult. You would rather call names and cast insults anonymously?

    Im guessing you have let your passions get the better of you, because it's hard for me to believe that's the character of a fellow Gonzaga grad.

    The offers open my friend. I am offering the other cheek.
    And to think we could have had this conversation on the OCC. Irony. SMH
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Roslyn, Washington
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Saw little to no comments by you on any topic in the OCC. .
    Shows somebody was late to the party.

    And this is the first time I've ever seen RW go after RW. Never happened in the OCC.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    And to think we could have had this conversation on the OCC. Irony. SMH

    The point is we are not having a conversation. We are having a cyber shouting match. Which is what the OCC was. Trust me, I know I helped to start the forum three boards before this one was ever founded. I'm a slow learner, but what I finally did learn in 15 years of the OCC was its not brave, gallant or noble to be an internet tough guy.

    If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

    The offer is still open.

    Your friend,

    Rob Boulds
    Gonzaga Grad 1992

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    12,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I heard this was the place to come for free tacos?
    Me too JP. My ribs are starting to show already!!
    Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    ...If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it....
    Then let's nuke the GU Boards. That is your logic.

    Weak. Mindedness. Over written words. In a forum you never had to enter or read.

    So have the last word if you must.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I heard this was the place to come for free tacos?
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    43,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    So the Spokesman is the host and they pulled the plug?
    This board is hosted under the auspices of the S-R:

    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...GUBoards-Rules

    They pay for it; they can pull the plug on it entirely if they choose to.

    Bill Rieger, GU 1979
    Sparks, NV
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-21-2016 at 08:11 AM.


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    “ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    The point is we are not having a conversation. We are having a cyber shouting match. Which is what the OCC was. Trust me, I know I helped to start the forum three boards before this one was ever founded. I'm a slow learner, but what I finally did learn in 15 years of the OCC was its not brave, gallant or noble to be an internet tough guy.

    If you don't have the courage to sign your name to a post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

    The offer is still open.

    Your friend,

    Rob Boulds
    Gonzaga Grad 1992
    I'm in Rob.

    Thanx,
    JJ Johnson
    Spokane Valley

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Then let's nuke the GU Boards. That is your logic.

    Weak. Mindedness. Over written words. In a forum you never had to enter or read.

    So have the last work if you must.

    Thanks, I think I will have the last "word".

    As a law grad, I would suspect you're aware of the logical fallacy reductio ad absurdum and his cousin the straw man, which you've engaged in your "rebuttal" to make the point that some how I'm weak minded if I don't agree with your premise.

    My opinion, and it was just that, was that GU Boards would be a better place with out the OCC. My logic behind the opinion was that it was coarsening the debate and not enhancing the dialogue. It is my opinion that this coarsening of the debate where individuals don't have to take responsibility for their words has lead to a polarization, not just in the OCC, but in our culture in general.

    Anecdotally, there were unfortunately some real world consequences to this coarse dialogue. Individuals were being harassed and threatened over disagreements in the OCC. At the end of the day, I suspect that this was the real reason the plug got pulled as this type of behavior could have legal consequences for the host of the site, although I must say I don't have any direct information about that. Perhaps this crossed your mind?

    I would hope so considering your anonymous handle.

    Offer is still open.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Me too JP. My ribs are starting to show already!!
    You got ribs? I just got tacos!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    I suggest everyone who is cool go to the Foo. You know who you are.
    Agent provocateur

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    3,985

    Default

    I'm sorry to hear that it had to go, but it's hard for me to complain about something I pay nothing at all for disappearing. I did just come across one nice bit of political humor, my favorite thread in the OCC. Hopefully it's okay to share here:


    CLEVELAND, OH—While much of the media’s attention has been focused on Melania Trump’s apparent plagiarism of Michelle Obama in her Republican National Convention speech, a savvy blogger pointed out Wednesday that Donald Trump clearly seems to have stolen much of a campaign speech he delivered in late June from Emperor Palpatine of Star Wars fame, without attributing the quotes to the late Dark Lord of the Sith.

    The blogger posted a video comparing some of Donald Trump’s speeches side-by-side with several monologues given by Palpatine throughout the Star Wars franchise, and top political commentators are calling the evidence “fairly damning.”

    “The hate is swelling in you now,” Trump’s declared in the speech in Manchester, NH. “Use it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourselves more my servants. It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. Use your aggressive feelings. Let the hate flow through you!”

    “Be careful of the liberals. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any other country!” he bellowed to thunderous applause.

    Though Trump—or his speechwriter—copied Palpatine almost verbatim, conservative commentators are calling the incident a non-issue, citing many instances of borrowed phrases throughout political history. However, nearly all were in agreement that it was inappropriate for Trump to have quoted from the Star Wars prequels.
    http://babylonbee.com/news/donald-tr...ark-lord-sith/

    -Everett B
    Class of 06
    Napa, CA

    edit: There are several people that I never would have known without GU Boards, and it has been a great blessing getting the opportunity to occasionally meet some of them in real life, regardless of our agreements or disagreements on the OCC.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    And now I have to rebuild my post count. It was as if 1,600 of my posts cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

    Agent provocateur

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,797

    Default

    I'm sure most in OCC were well aware....one of our moderators was a retired or semi-retired Police Officer.....between Hoop and LIZF the OCC was under control IMO.....we would even self regulate each other to a certain degree....like adults.

    If people were threatened it was wrong and the offender(s) should have been terminated for life.

    I'm guessing the powers that be didn't want to be associated with controversal debate in any way .....shape ......or form. Let's be blunt and honest. They didn't want to be held accountable for our debates. We will continue to keep the Political conversations behind closed doors because some people are just uncomfortable reading let alone engaging in Political debates like adults.

    Just don't tell me the world is better because the OCC was terminated because you didn't like reading the debates.

    Such is life.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    11,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I'm sure most in OCC were well aware....one of our moderators was a retired or semi-retired Police Officer.....between Hoop and LIZF the OCC was under control IMO.....we would even self regulate each other to a certain degree....like adults.

    If people were threatened it was wrong and the offender(s) should have been terminated for life.

    I'm guessing the powers that be didn't want to be associated with controversal debate in any way .....shape ......or form. Let's be blunt and honest. They didn't want to be held accountable for our debates. We will continue to keep the Political conversations behind closed doors because some people are just uncomfortable reading let alone engaging in Political debates like adults.

    Just don't tell me the world is better because the OCC was terminated because you didn't like reading the debates.

    Such is life.
    Did not say the world... said the board. I was a source of division amongst Zag fans. There are other forums for that kind of talk.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    I am a political conservative. One of the most appealing aspects of conservatism to me is the concept of personal responsibility. That it is up to the individual to make his or her way in the world. That if you are hardworking you should be able to reap the benefits of your hard work. The flip side of that coin is that if you mess up, you should be held accountable.

    The Spokesman, to my knowledge, is a for profit publication. Should they not be able to protect their interests and the fruits of their labor by eliminating the knucklehead factory otherwise known as the OCC? Why should they be held to account for the actions of some a-hole who wants to kick someones ass because of a comment made on a message board?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •