Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: BYU may get Big 12 invite

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    deep breath ...

There are plenty more, but I think I've made my point.
    Omg I snorted my water laughing...
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

You are not correct on all points, Duke. Like most here, GU required 4-semesters of philosophy. Using your own analogies, you threw an interception on your false analysis. The point is, society is hypocritically disallowing conversation on certain topics under the idea that there is only one "right" answer, and other answers are discrimination. These same people might discriminate against other people on different matters, but it is deemed acceptable or a matter of opinion, or a matter of discussion. The problem is, riots/bully tactics (both cyber and physical) are replacing civil discourse on matters, so we cannot effectively work through these issues logically

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Like most here, GU required 4-semesters of philosophy.
    I went a little above-and-beyond and picked up a minor, actually.

Using your own analogies, you threw an interception on your false analysis.
    LOL, I'm not even gonna touch that one.

The point is, society is hypocritically disallowing conversation on certain topics under the idea that there is only one "right" answer, and other answers are discrimination.
    Moral relativism is a topic best argued outside the limits of internet forums, but while there may or may not be more than one "right" answer on a given topic, whatever answer you think is "right" better at least pass basic logical scrutiny ... Spoiler alert, the above post was far from meeting this criterion.

The problem is, riots/bully tactics (both cyber and physical) are replacing civil discourse on matters, so we cannot effectively work through these issues logically.
    Yeah ... The key word here is logically.

i.e. following the basic rules of logic.

i.e. avoiding fallacious arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    You should really reconsider making public your thoughts... or perhaps run your ideas past someone before you make them public. I'm struggling to give you some benefit of the doubt that your post is not as unenlightened as it appears.
    That's precisely what I'm talking about... You're approaching my comment from a position of extreme arrogance. There's an obscene obsession with being perceived as "enlightened," and anyone who has views contrary to the "accepted national position" is hateful, bigoted, or ignorant. I'm fine with gay marriage, that issue is settled. I'm just tired of stories like "Christian baker won't make a cake for a gay wedding" being the top story on the national news, as opposed to much more meaningful subject matter. The gay community is incredibly vocal about any perceived slight or discrimination, and they're masterful at attaining press coverage and being ever-present as protesters. Much of that is virtue signaling, and double standards are rampant. It's perfectly acceptable for gay groups to discriminate against and "hate" Mormons for their religious ideology. I'm not a social conservative, but it's alarming to see how quickly conservative ideals are being re-branded as hateful, intolerant, and dangerous, though I don't believe that's the case at all. In the case of BYU, the fact that gay groups would mount an opposition to their entry into the BIG-12 is ridiculous, and just another in a long long line of similar stories.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

This thread has wandered well beyond the realm of Men's Basketball and ventured squarely into the middle of opinions of BYU's LDS founding principles.

We can move discussion of impacts of BYU's potential move on GU's program to another thread if desired, but this thread is done.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time