Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BYU may get Big 12 invite

Default BYU may get Big 12 invite

Big 12 voted to explore expansion today, and from what I've read, have all but decided to expand by 2-4 teams. Being an independent in football, BYU is rumored to be a top pick. The WCC looks like it may lose BYU in the near future (and be stuck with Pacific)

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Big 12 voted to explore expansion today, and from what I've read, have all but decided to expand by 2-4 teams. Being an independent in football, BYU is rumored to be a top pick. The WCC looks like it may lose BYU in the near future (and be stuck with Pacific)
    that stinks....wonder if they will get over the ----no play on Sunday---issue

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    that stinks....wonder if they will get over the ----no play on Sunday---issue
    BYU or Big 12? That is something that BYU will never compromise on.

I've always believed that BYU's tenure in the WCC would be short-lived. In some ways, I am surprised that they lasted this long.

If the Big XII does offer BYU an invitation, I wish them well. It has been fun having them as a rival over the past few years. If they do leave, I would hope that Gonzaga and BYU continue to play each other as nonconference foes.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I've always believed that BYU's tenure in the WCC would be short-lived. In some ways, I am surprised that they lasted this long.

If the Big XII does offer BYU an invitation, I wish them well. It has been fun having them as a rival over the past few years. If they do leave, I would hope that Gonzaga and BYU continue to play each other as nonconference foes.
    I'll cheers to that

Don't think it'll. Happen. Memphis, Cincinnati, uconn and Florida teams seem more likely. Memphis is trying yo buy their way in.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Don't think it'll. Happen. Memphis, Cincinnati, uconn and Florida teams seem more likely. Memphis is trying yo buy their way in.
    Utah is a decent size TV market and BYU is ready for prime time...USF and UCF play the schedule but not sure they can compete effectively in the B12. TCU, the previous non-BCS school to be admitted to the B12 was already ready for prime time and was once before a member of the SWC it was basically a natural pick.

Memphis just doesn't seem to fit in with these big time football programs...and outside of Jazz and BBQ what is there in Memphis?

UConn would be a long, long way to travel BUT would open up a desirable TV market in the NE that doesn't presently exist...only BC and SU are up in that neck of the woods...

Cincinnati would be a good fit, especially with WVU a hop, skip and a jump away...nice TV market and a geographical rival for WVU.

Me, I would love to see the B12 pick-up BYU, SMU, Houston and BSU...SMU was also in the SWC. All four of the schools have big time facilities and would also provide nice rivalries too...BUT it does seem to be the Florida schools, Cincy and UConn that will make the grade. BYU flexibility may be a problem...no athletic events on Sundays...

I am sure Bowlsby has me on speed dial...just waiting for his call...

And of course if BYU goes, we'll have added RPI drag Pacific for nothing (not even a helpful market), and will have to add an additional RPI drag to get us back to even #s.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I kinda wonder if the elevation above sea level will be a factor? After all, if we're talking about adding a school specifically for sports purposes, I would think that a built in home field advantage would be something to consider

Oh wow, they'll just roll in Big 12 basketball!

We didn't want the guy anyway.

Big 12 expansion a near-certainty as it aims to avoid being left behind

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...es-bob-bowlsby

Bogo,

Memphis may not fit but them and FedEx are teaming up to get them in. I think it's a virtual lock if they get 4 teams.

SMU - no. They've been down that cheating road and it doesn't seem to be stopping. Texas wouldn't vote them in, and neither would any other school. That ship has sailed.

BYU probably would be a solid addition, but it's not happening not just due to the Sunday rule, but there are bigger markets out there and better recruiting trails the Big XII could get into - (Florida schools)

Houston would be a smart pick.

Boise State - until they change the beloved smurf turf they're not going to play in a major conference. Just that simple.

Cincy is the most logical fit and UCONN would be good too, also would help the basketball side.

For me if I was Big XII, I'd pick Cincy, Memphis UCONN and Houston. Might think about getting Florida schools to get some of that SEC talent. If I'm picking just two I'd pick Cincy and Memphis
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

No one is surprised. I doubt they have much love to give the WCC on their way out either. Kinda a "bye, thanks for... well, bye!"

The WCC; same as it ever was.

Don't have much respect for a team with absolutely no loyalty to the WCC......that doesn't want to be here and whose fans call it a church league with high school gyms .

Good riddance ...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Don't have much respect for a team with absolutely no loyalty to the WCC......that doesn't want to be here and whose fans call it a church league with high school gyms .

Good riddance ...
    What would be worse than being stuck in a "church league with high school gyms?"

How bout being vetted, but not considered worthy by the Big 12?
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    What would be worse than being stuck in a "church league with high school gyms?"

How bout being vetted, but not considered worthy by the Big 12?
    What part of that quote don't you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    Not being the big fish in the small pond?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Good riddance ...
    Is this really fair, though? I thought academics and the integrity-driven person were more important than basketball? Guess it matters when it matters, and it doesn't when it doesn't? Why does any team owe the WCC loyalty? I would love to be in BYU's shoes, right now. In terms of being able to go to a better conference, that is. I don't respect the WCC. I am in favor of any team leaving that can get to higher ground.

Good riddance ...
    1. Why would they be loyal to the WCC, a bad conference that they've only been in for 5 years?

2. I'm not loyal to the WCC, and I hope our program isn't. I also don't want to be here--we should leave as soon as we are presented with a decent option elsewhere.

3. It's a church league with high school gyms.

4. In terms of basketball- they are embarrassed that they can't win anything in the WCC. They thought they would expose GU as a mediocre fish in a small pond, but the Zags have shown time and again that they are the superior program. That's gotta hurt. Their fans were pretty certain that they were going to have a Jimmer come in to the program every 3-4 years and they would be elite. At least it wouldn't be such an embarrassment to never win anything in the Big 12.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

The problem with the WCC is, as Coach Few said, there are only 3 teams that even try to win.

1--Gonzaga
    2--BYU
    3--Saint Mary's

The rest of the schools collect the TV money and NCAA tourney money (from Gonzaga) and don't invest in basketball.

But, the BIG12 is also looking at the idea of adding 2 schools as "football only". That could end up being BYU, who would stay in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    The problem with the WCC is, as Coach Few said, there are only 3 teams that even try to win.

1--Gonzaga
    2--BYU
    3--Saint Mary's

The rest of the schools collect the TV money and NCAA tourney money (from Gonzaga) and don't invest in basketball.

But, the BIG12 is also looking at the idea of adding 2 schools as "football only". That could end up being BYU, who would stay in the WCC.
    I think the most likely scenario is that the additions are full members. Do you have any articles that are suggesting the football-only proposition? That would be a good outcome for the WCC. Otherwise, I'm afraid, we will be on a fishing expedition for Pacific 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I think the most likely scenario is that the additions are full members. Do you have any articles that are suggesting the football-only proposition? That would be a good outcome for the WCC. Otherwise, I'm afraid, we will be on a fishing expedition for Pacific 2.0.
    https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/st...51343968817152

Good riddance ...
    In the current NCAA organization, conferences are nothing more than an administrative layer used to organize and categorize teams for assignment to competitive levels.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Good riddance ...
    Lol with a national football fanbase would you wanna have a non football league be the league you play sports in? No. BYU deserves respect ... You don't wanna give it? Fine. I don't think they care. I personally love the WCC but even I know moving to a better conference helps long term while the short term is better off being in the WCC.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR