Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Pangos to Zalgiris - Welcome to Euroleague

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Boy, he looks so ripped...I bet his BF is under 8%...I wonder what kind of diet he is on...
    Exactly what I thought after seeing this pic Bogo. Pangos is one determined, disciplined, hard working baller pursuing his dreams. I hope to see him in the NBA someday but carving out a professional career in Europe is equally worthy of respect and admiration.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Exactly what I thought after seeing this pic Bogo. Pangos is one determined, disciplined, hard working baller pursuing his dreams. I hope to see him in the NBA someday but carving out a professional career in Europe is equally worthy of respect and admiration.
    If he can continue to play like this, he's going to make a good deal of money playing in Europe.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    If he can continue to play like this, he's going to make a good deal of money playing in Europe.
    And even if he could make an NBA roster - it is very possible that he could make more in the EuroLeague.

He is a FA this summer so it is great to see him playing like this. I'd put him above certain Canadian NBA guards (Ennis, Stuaskas) if I was selecting the hypothetical best roster for Team Canada right now.

Pangos with 11 points (4/6 FG, 1/3 3PT, 2/2 FT), 6 assists & 4 rebounds in Zalgiris win against the German Euroleague team Brose Bamberg.

Another win for Zalgiris, improving to 9-5. Not the best game for Kevin though, mostly due to early foul trouble. Ended up with 3 points, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 rebounds in 16 minutes.

Next Euroleague game vs Olympiacos... Pangos vs Wiltjer!

Pangos is definitely going to get paid next season. Apparently, Barcelona has already contacted Zalgiris inquiring about a possible buyout, but got rejected. Despite having a terrible season, Barcelona is still one of the powerhouses of the European basketball. I lived there for a while, and I can say the city is amazing too.

Witt‏
    @WitterSR
    Follow Follow @WitterSR
    More
    Reports last week that Barcelona attempted to purchase Kevin Pangos from Zalgiris and were rebuffed strongly by Coach Saras. Then Zalgiris signs Beno Udrih today. So second thoughts on KP? Or they doubling down on their best EuroLeague season in years? The latter I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Witt‏
    @WitterSR
    Follow Follow @WitterSR
    More
    Reports last week that Barcelona attempted to purchase Kevin Pangos from Zalgiris and were rebuffed strongly by Coach Saras. Then Zalgiris signs Beno Udrih today. So second thoughts on KP? Or they doubling down on their best EuroLeague season in years? The latter I think.
    According to the Lithuanian news site, Kevin was involved into that decision and he wasn't interested in leaving in the middle of the season. Although that might be speculation.

Pangos vs Wiltjer tonight!

Zalgiris beats Olympiacos 5 wins in a row. I'm in shock. The duo of Jasikevicius' coaching and Pangos' leadership is unbelievable.

great job, Kevin!

Box Score

Experts Round Table: Round 15

3. Which player has surprised you most in the first half of the season?

Manuel Moreno

It's not easy to stand out in a competition the level of the EuroLeague, both at the team and individual levels. Only the well-known and established ones can achieve that, and we all know who they are. Among surprises I would point at Zalgiris Kaunas as a team - currently fifth with nine wins - and its player Kevin Pangos as the product of the philosophy imposed by Saras Jasikevicius. Pangos grew up at Gonzaga University and played in the Spanish League with Gran Canaria, but he didn't shine properly until this season, at 24 years old. His 11.9 points (with a 46.7% on two-point shots and 50% on threes) and his 5.5 assists made him an unexpected Zalgiris leader and a nightmare for opposing defenses. And he's also a surprise in this season's EuroLeague. A player to follow.

Matjaz Smodis

For me the surprise is Kevin Pangos, who is playing great under Sarunas Jaskevicius. I didn’t expect Zalgiris to be playing so well, though I imagine that only a few did. Pangos is definitely the main reason why. He is not the only player on the team enjoying a breakout season, however, Pangos is on the floor more than any Zalgiris player and is getting it done as a passer, penetrator and shooter. Fourteen games is no small number, but the real test will be to see if Pangos can continue at this level when he faces teams a second time. If he can, it will be a special season for him and Zalgiris.

Massimo Oriani

Kevin Pangos is not a name that is mentioned often enough. He definitely benefits from playing in a fantastic system like the one that Saras Jasikevicius has created in Kaunas, but one does what he is asked to do and Kevin is doing exactly that. He’s the maestro that directs the orchestra with the musical score provided by Saras. Now he will have some help with the arrival of Beno Udrih at his side, giving Zalgiris the chance to elevate even more its already stunning (maybe not so much, we must give credit to Jasikevicius and his players rather than be shocked by the fact that they are ahead of teams with much bigger budgets) results. Pangos is not a flashy player, but he fits the role perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    great job, Kevin!

Box Score

Nice find Native!
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Zalgiris beats Olympiacos 5 wins in a row. I'm in shock. The duo of Jasikevicius' coaching and Pangos' leadership is unbelievable.
    Yes, I see this is a great part of the success for both Zalgiris and Kevin.

It will be interesting to see if he stays on even if the money is not as good...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Yes, I see this is a great part of the success for both Zalgiris and Kevin.

It will be interesting to see if he stays on even if the money is not as good...
    I've already made peace with the thought of Kevin leaving after this season, and that's alright. After all, Zalgiris has the 2nd smallest budget in all of Euroleague. We just won't be able to afford him after this season. And while Kaunas is a nice city, it's not nearly as glamorous as Barcelona, Madrid or Istanbul. The Kevin from this season is one of the best foreign players we have ever had, and I'm grateful for that. However, if Kevin and Jasikevicius do both leave, I hope they both go to Barcelona and continue their partnership there. As mentioned before, hopefully we can sign NWG in the meantime to replace Kevin

Hi Jstock

What do you make of the signing of Beno Udrih by Zalgiris?

With Kevin obviously having the confidence of his coach as the #1 PG, is Beno (having been an NBA point guard) coming in to replace Dee Bost as Kevin's back up?

What about Vasilije Micic who has played pretty well in the same position (especially when up against opposition taller PG) when asked....

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Hi Jstock

What do you make of the signing of Beno Udrih by Zalgiris?

With Kevin obviously having the confidence of his coach as the #1 PG, is Beno (having been an NBA point guard) coming in to replace Dee Bost as Kevin's back up?

What about Vasilije Micic who has played pretty well in the same position (especially when up against opposition taller PG) when asked....
    Kevin will remain the starter and I don't really think it will affect his minutes at all. More likely, it's our 22-year old Valinskas whose minutes will be cut. Udrih will be coming off the bench and provide some stability and veteran leadership. Dee Bost just didn't fit in at all here, and while Micic is good, he's very inconsistent and is prone to some wild/stupid plays at times (which is to be expected of such a young player).

So, will Pangos be squaring off against the Ball Brothers at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    So, will Pangos be squaring off against the Ball Brothers at some point?
    February 4th. Although not sure how likely it is for the Balls to get playing time against a team like Zalgiris.

February 4th. Although not sure how likely it is for the Balls to get playing time against a team like Zalgiris.

I'm not sure about that. Vytautas seems much more interested in selling tickets than winning.
    They supposedly pulled out of the Baltic League (the 2nd tier league they play in besides the Lithuanian League) in order to play a number of "Friendlys" at home so the Balls can play.

First game since the Balls arrived they rolled out a roster of 8 against Lietuvos Rytas (second best Lithunania team after Zalgiris) and lost 113-56. Why wouldnt you play the Balls anyways? Maybe just to save therm from embarrassment.

Vytautas seems a struggling, joke of a team and is just doing this out of desperation for money. Since the Balls signing their games have supposedly all sold out (don't know if this is true). I can see opposing teams/players being paid to purposely not guard the Balls to let them get their stats in the "friendlys" so Lavar can crow about it, thus upping their stock. Something very 2017-2021 post-truth world about it. Whoever screams the loudest wins with attention/pageviews/impressions and thus money. A interesting symptom in the microcosm of sports of the debilitating disease the world is suffering in the social media age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Vytautas seems much more interested in selling tickets than winning.
    They supposedly pulled out of the Baltic League (the 2nd tier league they play in besides the Lithuanian League) in order to play a number of "Friendlys" at home so the Balls can play.

First game since the Balls arrived they rolled out a roster of 8 against Lietuvos Rytas (second best Lithunania team after Zalgiris) and lost 113-56. Why wouldnt you play the Balls anyways? Maybe just to save therm from embarrassment.

Vytautas seems a struggling, joke of a team and is just doing this out of desperation for money. Since the Balls signing their games have supposedly all sold out (don't know if this is true). I can see opposing teams/players being paid to purposely not guard the Balls to let them get their stats in the "friendlys" so Lavar can crow about it, thus upping their stock. Something very 2017-2021 post-truth world about it. Whoever screams the loudest wins with attention/pageviews/impressions and thus money. A interesting symptom in the microcosm of sports of the debilitating disease the world is suffering in the social media age.
    You're right about Vytautas really wanting to cash in on this marketing opportunity. Thinking about it some more, there's probably no reason why they wouldn't get SOME playing time in a home game. But I think Vytautas wants to be at least somewhat competitive in the LKL. They have just signed another foreign player - Kervin Bristol. That was no doubt made possible by the profits from signing the Ball brothers.

Pangos might be in the top5 of my favorite Zalgiris players ever. Maybe even top3, up there with the likes of Arvydas Sabonis. He's just incredible. The way he navigates in open & tight spaces, the way he's using angles, setting up teammates, shooting from long range and finishing around the rim. Also super humble and bright. If he ever shows up on my doorstep here in Lithuania lost and mugged, I'll give him all the money I have on me at the time.

Pangos might be in the top5 of my avorite Zalgiris players ever. Maybe even top3, up there with the likes of Arvydas Sabonis. He's just incredible. The way he navigates in open & tight spaces, the way he's using angles, setting up teammates, shooting from long range and finishing around the rim. Also super humble and bright. If he ever shows up on my doorstep here in Lithuania lost and mugged, I'll give him all the money I have on me at the time.
    Priceless!

Kevin's Zalgris just took down Unicaja Malaga 7977 in a cliff-hanger Euroleague game, Kev with 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and just 2 TOs, before fouling out in the closing minutes of the game.

Box Score

Last edited by ZagNative; 01-12-2018 at 11:41 AM.

It would be a blast to be able to see Kevin play in Zalgris home stadium!