Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Pangos to Zalgiris - Welcome to Euroleague

KP leading Zalgiris in another home victory over Spanish heavyweights Barcelona

http://www.euroleague.net/

Click on the highlights...

18 points and 5 assists in 23 minutes...

Stats: http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/...01_183_100.asp

They are now 15-9 and looking at trying to get a home court for the first round of the playoffs....

Kevin with a very nice game (7 points, 10 assists 1 TO, 3 rebounds), for a 77-65 win over Milan, bringing Zalgris closer to a playoff spot:

Box Score

Game Story
    White lifts Zalgiris over Milan

Aaron White single-handedly outscored AX Armani Exchange Olimpia Milan 14-3 in a run that bridged the third and fourth quarters to give Zalgiris Kaunas control for good en route to a 77-65 victory on Tuesday night at Zalgirio Arena. The visitors led by 5 late in the third quarter, but once the Lithuanian champs got going they never stopped in improving their record to 16-11. Aaron White finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds to lead Zalgiris, Paulius Jankunas posted 15 points, Brandon Davies added 11 and Kevin Pangos dished 10 assists for the victors. Former Zalgiris center Arturas Gudaitis shined with 19 points and 10 rebounds for Milan, another ex-Zalgiris player Mindaugas Kuzminskas added 12 points and Curtis Jerrells scored 10 in a defeat that dropped the team record to 9-18.

Davies opened the scoring with a hook shot and Jankunas added a layup as the hosts took charge. Nearly three and a half minutes passed before Gudaitis got the visitors on the scoreboard with free throws and Pangos netted 5 points for an 11-2 Zalgiris advantage before Gudaitis got going with the visitors' first two baskets. Kuzminskas buried a three and sank free throws to draw Milan within 12-11. Vasilije Micic revived the Zalgiris attack with a layup. Kuzminskas added another three, but Zalgiris retained a slim lead, 17-16, after 10 minutes. Beno Udrih found Antanas Kavaliauskas for a layup before splitting free throws himself as Zalgiris stretched its lead. Triples by Dairis Bertans and Amath M'Baye evened the score at 24-24 midway through the second quarter. M'Baye came up with a block on one end and a floater on the other to give Milan its first lead, 26-28. The lead changed hands twice more before a three by Bertans left the visitors ahead 31-34 at the break.

The lead switched hands a few more times early in the second half with Zalgiris unable to find a way to stop Gudaitis in the paint, but Arturas Milaknis rising to the occasion with 6 points. After Edgaras Ulanovas split free throws, the score was tied, 42-42, midway through the third quarter. Milan took charge with a three by Jerrells and a Kaleb Tarczewski put-back slam to lead by 5, but a pair of Micic layups got the crowd involved and Kavaliauskas tied it twice. Micic completed the comeback with a basket-plus-foul and White beat the third-quarter buzzer with a perfectly-timed put-back layup for a 54-50 advantage. White scored the first 6 points of the fourth quarter to create the first double-digit lead of the game, 60-50. Gudaitis stopped the bleeding with a three-point play, but White dunked on an alley-oop from Pangos and again on a pass from Jankunas to stamp his authority on the game. The lead peaked at 71-56 with two and a half minutes remaining after another White put-back and Milan never threatened again.

Post-game interview with Kevin (starts at about the 2:20 mark

That was cool! Thanks, JStock!

Zalgris is in the third quarter of a Euroleague game vs. Real Madrid right now. Real Madrid has taken a 63-60 lead at the 28:00 mark.

Box Score

Jasikevicius on Zalgiris success: "Last year we were 10 players team, but now we know who's our leader. It's Kevin Pangos. He's ready to lead every Euroleague team. We are happy to have such players like Jankunas & Ulanovas for many years, but Kevin lifts us to the highest level"

Dang, that is some mighty high praise from his coach, and one of the best European PGs of all time.

Thanks again to all for keeping us updated on Kevin (and others ) via the Old Dogs Forum. It's greatly appreciated.

Another great Euroleague win for Kevin and Zalgris in a victory over CSKA Moscow 85-73, Kevin with 15 points, 11 assists with 4 TOs and a PIR of 28!

Box ScoreHio

I'll be posting the highlight video when it's published, but in the meantime, here's a fun video of the post-game environment in the arena after the win:

And here's the highlight video of the game, with lots of nice shots of Kevin in action:

That's incredibly high praise from his coach. Wow. I wonder if he's going to set his sights on the NBA one more time? Although I wouldn't blame for staying where's he at. If he helps lead Zalgiris to a Euroleague championship he'd become a legend in Lithuania.

Anybody know if he's locked into playing for Canada nationally? I know he played for Canada in the Universiade and maybe juniors but I wonder if that locks him in or not. With the dramatic rise of NBA talent from Canada, he may never get a crack to represent Canada in the big tourneys. But with his Slovenian passport, it would still be super cool if he could make their team. They don't have the depth of Canada but they do have some great players led by future NBA star Luca Doncic. I think it'd be awesome to see him in the Olympics, even if it is in a Slovenian jersey.

Fun fact too, currently Pangos' Zalgiris is positioned to go against Wiltjer's Olympiacos in the quarterfinals. They have 1 more game left where they play each other and it is likely one of them will end up in a tiebreaker but it is still a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    That's incredibly high praise from his coach. Wow. I wonder if he's going to set his sights on the NBA one more time? Although I wouldn't blame for staying where's he at. If he helps lead Zalgiris to a Euroleague championship he'd become a legend in Lithuania.

Anybody know if he's locked into playing for Canada nationally? I know he played for Canada in the Universiade and maybe juniors but I wonder if that locks him in or not. With the dramatic rise of NBA talent from Canada, he may never get a crack to represent Canada in the big tourneys. But with his Slovenian passport, it would still be super cool if he could make their team. They don't have the depth of Canada but they do have some great players led by future NBA star Luca Doncic. I think it'd be awesome to see him in the Olympics, even if it is in a Slovenian jersey.
    Well...since you are asking.
    Lots of talking heads in Europe buzzing that Kevin has proven with his play this season that he should get a shot at the NBA. I mean, he is right there among the EuroLeague's best guards who all have a long NBA pedigree. 10+ year vet Beno Udrih is his back up.

You might even see Kevin straight up signed this summer. No Summer League, no partial camp deals, but a straight up multi year guaranteed deal. I hear the Clippers have been following him closely.
    I think he is jonesing for a shot at the NBA and will make the try. He is a full free agent this summer and free to go anywhere. He can always go back to Europe if the NBA doesn't work out as he has completely excelled at the highest level in Europe and almost any EuroLeague team would take him. Barcelona already tried to get him mid-season from Zalgiris and will likely be trying to get him this summer.

Per the Canadian national team which I follow closely - he is easily third on the PG depth chart for me after Cory Joseph and Jamal Murray. He is clearly better than Tyler Ennis (especially at FIBA ball). I wouldn't blink about taking him on any fully powered Canadian national team right now. Easily over guys like Ennis, Nik Stauskas, Brady Heslip, Phil Scrubb, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Olivier Hanlan, Naz Long. Pangos just hasnt played the last few years for Team Canada as he was trying to settle into a pro career and had many summers as a FA. I believe he is quite interested in playing for Canada from what I hear. He has play u16, u17 and u19 internationally for Canada but not yet the mens team, so I don't think he is locked with Canada.

People here don't realize how good he has gotten in Europe nor how high a level the EuroLeague is. He is better than dozens of players in the NBA right now. I think he goes NBA - and this summer to boot. But I wont be sad if he stays in Europe. I'd rather have a wily, rugged veteran of the FIBA game who has lead teams in countless high pressure situations than an end of the bench NBA player who rarely plays and has a very fragile and untested psyche.

Terrific game by Zalgiris, we somehow managed to win without our best defender Axel Toupane. Kevin was fantastic yet again. Probably the MVP of the game. I think he can definitely be a role player in the NBA if he decided to go that route (the NBA point guard position is just too stacked). It makes you think, if Pangos was just 2-3 inches taller with a bigger wingspan, he might even be able to become a starter on some NBA teams, or at least a very good 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Well...since you are asking.
    Lots of talking heads in Europe buzzing that Kevin has proven with his play this season that he should get a shot at the NBA. I mean, he is right there among the EuroLeague's best guards who all have a long NBA pedigree. 10+ year vet Beno Udrih is his back up.

You might even see Kevin straight up signed this summer. No Summer League, no partial camp deals, but a straight up multi year guaranteed deal. I hear the Clippers have been following him closely.
    I think he is jonesing for a shot at the NBA and will make the try. He is a full free agent this summer and free to go anywhere. He can always go back to Europe if the NBA doesn't work out as he has completely excelled at the highest level in Europe and almost any EuroLeague team would take him. Barcelona already tried to get him mid-season from Zalgiris and will likely be trying to get him this summer.
    If the NBA is ever going to happen, this probably has to be the summer. Right or wrong, once you've spent too long overseas the NBA just kind of writes you off. I hope if he does come though that he comes for a rotation spot, not just to sit on a bench.

Per the Canadian national team which I follow closely - he is easily third on the PG depth chart for me after Cory Joseph and Jamal Murray. He is clearly better than Tyler Ennis (especially at FIBA ball). I wouldn't blink about taking him on any fully powered Canadian national team right now. Easily over guys like Ennis, Nik Stauskas, Brady Heslip, Phil Scrubb, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Olivier Hanlan, Naz Long. Pangos just hasnt played the last few years for Team Canada as he was trying to settle into a pro career and had many summers as a FA. I believe he is quite interested in playing for Canada from what I hear. He has play u16, u17 and u19 internationally for Canada but not yet the mens team, so I don't think he is locked with Canada.
    Don't forget Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is about the join the league and looks very promising at the PG spot. Also, Wigginton will declare this or next season and has tons of upside. I'm not saying Pangos can't crack Canada's lineup but it will be super competitive moving forward. Pretty soon (if not already) Canada will be cutting NBA players when making the best senior team, something pretty well unprecedented outside the U.S. team.

As much as I'd love to see him on Team Canada, I couldn't fault him if he did opt to suit up for Slovenia. Doncic is a pretty special player and I'd still cheer for him (except vs Canada) if he wound up representing them. I'm still indebted to Slovenia for producing Kopitar and helping me finally see my Kings win the Cup.

Terrific game by Zalgiris, we somehow managed to win without our best defender Axel Toupane. Kevin was fantastic yet again. Probably the MVP of the game. I think he can definitely be a role player in the NBA if he decided to go that route (the NBA point guard position is just too stacked). It makes you think, if Pangos was just 2-3 inches taller with a bigger wingspan, he might even be able to become a starter on some NBA teams, or at least a very good 6th man.
    Yeah, the wingspan issue is particularly important for Pangos. A few more inches would never hurt but his short wingspan is such a drawback for him on the defensive end.

Well the word above and in other sites is that this will most likely be the last season for KP at Zalgiris.

He has stepped up his play this year and not only has other cashed up Euro League teams chasing him, also has serious interest from several NBA clubs..

Let's see what happens in the next few weeks, hopefully he can help take the Lithuanian side deep into the playoffs and reward the Kaunas fans...

Brilliant game by KP...

Box score below..

http://www.euroleague.net/main/resul...asoncode=E2017

On to the Final 4!

Box score of today's Zalgiris victory below.

Kevin top scored with 21 points, 4 assists and 0 turnovers. Outplayed the very experienced Spanoulis (interesting that both went 7/7 at the free throw line).

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/...426_183_93.asp

On to Belgrade!

http://www.euroleague.net/

You can also chose your all Euroleague team on line......

Now back to their domestic competition which they lead in the standings.

Wins against Nevezis and arch rival Lietkabelis would push the lead to 2 full games with only 5 games left in the domestic competition regular season.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

“When I first met Kevin (Pangos) here in Lithuania. I told him, ‘I hated your guts at Gonzaga.’ But now I’m happy to report we are good friends and he’s a great teammate.” @Brandon_Davies0 #ESPN960

They told him to eat what he was served!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Nice interview of Kevin discussing his experience at Zalgiris, his NBA goals and Gonzaga.

https://youtu.be/_eaXrEm_3ZI
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Nice interview of Kevin discussing his experience at Zalgiris, his NBA goals and Gonzaga.

Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Thanks!

[QUOTE=willandi;1386735]“When I first met Kevin (Pangos) here in Lithuania. I told him, ‘I hated your guts at Gonzaga.’ But now I’m happy to report we are good friends and he’s a great teammate.” @Brandon_Davies0 #ESPN960

QUOTE]

Davies named EuroLeague MVP for April. Congrats!

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=19723553
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Pangos named to the EuroLeague 2nd team!
    Quite an honor and if you look at the other 1st and 2nd team players it shows he is an NBA level talent.

Wow!

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/EuroLeague/statu...68570726305792

And from the Euroleague site: http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/8qb...ented-by-7days
    2017-18 All-EuroLeague Second Team presented by 7DAYS

The five players who grace the 2017-18 All-EuroLeague Second Team presented by 7DAYS were each responsible in their own way for making history and treating fans across Europe to magnificent displays of basketball this season. They had their hands in some of the record-breaking feats and remarkable team accomplishments that made this season one to remember. After voting by fans and accredited media members, Paulius Jankunas and Kevin Pangos of Zalgiris Kaunas, Sergio Rodriguez of CSKA Moscow, Alexey Shved of Khimki Moscow Region and Vassilis Spanoulis of Olympiacos Piraeus have been named to the All-EuroLeague Second Team.

While three players – Jankunas, Pangos and Shved – are making their first appearances on the All-EuroLeague team, Rodriguez is making his second and Spanoulis has set a record with his eighth appearance on the team, surpassing Juan Carlos Navarro of FC Barcelona Lassa. Jankunas and Pangos give Zalgiris their first All-EuroLeague selections since Darjus Lavrinovic was such honored in 2006.

Media voting counted for 75% and fan voting 25% of the totals used to determine the All-EuroLeague selections. The All-EuroLeague Second Team is the last of a series of honors announced this week. The EuroLeague MVP will be named at the 2018 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague Final Four in Belgrade. The Alexander Gomelskiy Coach of the Year Trophy and the Gianluigi Porelli EuroLeague Executive of the Year are post-season awards.
    Kevin Pangos, Zalgiris Kaunas

Zalgiris Kaunas has reached the EuroLeague Final Four for the first time this century and a lot of its success has had to do with point guard Kevin Pangos's outstanding season. At age 25, Pangos has shown great maturity, hitting clutch shots and using his poise and high basketball IQ to lead Zalgiris's extra-pass offense close to perfection. An accomplished scorer, Pangos hit 73 of 155 shots from downtown (47.1%) in helping Zalgiris become the best three-point shooting team in the competition (42.4%). Pangos ranked 11th overall in three-point shooting percentage and was second in assists (6.0 apg.). He delivered nearly one-third of all Zalgiris assists this season while also leading the team in scoring (12.7 ppg.) and performance index rating (14.1 PIR). In his second season with Zalgiris, Pangos improved in almost all aspects of the game, nearly doubling his assists average and two-point shooting percentage (from 28.4% to 47.7%) and helping more on the boards (from 1.8 to 2.7 rpg.). Pangos was especially dangerous in the playoffs when he averaged 17.6 points and 5.3 assists in Zalgiris's three wins against Olympiacos Piraeus. The only player to start every game for Zalgiris, he stood tall as the team's floor general and the true extension of head coach Sarunas Jasikevicius on the court. For all those reasons and more, Pangos was chosen to the All-EuroLeague team for the first time in his blossoming career.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 05-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.