Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Conference Basketball Early Review

Default West Coast Conference Basketball Early Review

Gonzaga, Saint Mary's rivalry will define West Coast Conference basketball in 2016-17

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...aint-marys-byu

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Gonzaga, Saint Mary's rivalry will define West Coast Conference basketball in 2016-17

Byu is loaded too. Haws mika emery are all studs. Transfer Elijah Bryant and Lj hoes will be ballers and they have good recruits.

Lmu loses jacko who went pro. So this article is a bit off

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Byu is loaded too. Haws mika emery are all studs. Transfer Elijah Bryant and Lj hoes will be ballers and they have good recruits.

Was thinking the same thing... Must not sit very well with BYU always being overlooked like they are (deservedly so?)

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post

And the dude left J3 off the transfer list following the article. I agree, that BYU will be loaded. I am interested to see what style of play Yoeli Childs is asked to adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

Pretty good article.

Minor question, is this even remotely true?

Alec Wintering might be the best point guard in the conference
    He's a nice player, seems like a great guy, too. I like him, but ....
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I take issue with this statement ....

After five straight years of second-round disappointment ....
    Only one of those 5 seasons were the Zags the higher seed. In the other 4 2nd round games Gonzaga's average seed was 8.5 vs their opponents being 1.75. Makes the whole "Few32" paradigm a bit silly (in my opinion).

Lol don't mention Jordan Mathews
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I haven't read the article yet but I will go on record right now and say that Saint Mary's finishes behind both Gonzaga and BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I haven't read the article yet but I will go on record right now and say that Saint Mary's finishes behind both Gonzaga and BYU.
    agreed

Me too. SMC while a very good team is back to 3rd place

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

If you, gonzagafan62, and I agree on something, it has to be true. That is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Me too. SMC while a very good team is back to 3rd place
    I have to agree... Saint Mary's biggest accomplishment last year was beating Gonzaga twice. I would argue that Gonzaga "lost" both those games versus Saint Mary's "winning" them. Not trying to make excuses or take credit away from SMC, but without the season sweep of GU Saint Mary's didn't do much last year, thus being left out of the NCAA tournament. I pick them to finish third behind GU and BYU.

I'll disagree. SMC will have the better chemistry (from the jump) & the better Coach.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Zags chemistry by WCC play should catapult Gonzaga to #1. Saint Mary's #2. BYU #3. #4-#10 is a huge toss up. Gonna have to look at the returning players.

I think Santa Clara #4. Jared Brownridge K.J. Feagin, & Nate Kratch have been pretty good

I'd pick BYU over SMC.

Every year since BYU joined the league, it seems most here pick them 2nd. I'm going with history, and a well coached SMC, then BYU. After that, I have no idea, but Santa Clara seems to have the most returning talent. I look forward to watching some battles in conference, and watching three WCC teams in in the NCAA's, maybe even a couple the second weekend.

After last year, you'd think people would learn not to write off St Mary's.

I think the WCC has 3 Top-25 teams next season.

BYU will be undervalued and they will be good. Better than last season.

They are much stronger underneath the hoop, add 2 nice transfers, and a Top-60 4* recruit.

Emery is a Zag killer, so is Mika. He double-doubled us many times his Frosh season. Add in Haws younger bro, returning talent.

Even with the graduation of Collingsworth this is a very good team.

St Mary's as well. Not just returning starting-5, rather their starting-8, from a WCC Championship team. They will be just as hungry, more seasoned, more aggressive, esp their young and talented bigs will be prime.

We will be good too.

Going to be a battle, yet WCC with (3) Top-25 ranked teams by January.

It's really, really hard to give SMC any respect when they don't play anyone not named Gonzaga. "A player on the national stage?" Sorry, but GU didn't get to prominence by only beating WCC teams. SMC ONLY claim to prominence is when they play and best GU. Period. You want it? Earn it by playing anyone anywhere. Until then SMC will always be the 2nd best team in a middle of the pack league.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    It's really, really hard to give SMC any respect when they don't play anyone not named Gonzaga. "A player on the national stage?" Sorry, but GU didn't get to prominence by only beating WCC teams. SMC ONLY claim to prominence is when they play and best GU. Period. You want it? Earn it by playing anyone anywhere. Until then SMC will always be the 2nd best team in a middle of the pack league.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I'll disagree. SMC will have the better chemistry (from the jump) & the better Coach.
    + 1

Beating BYU is going to depend on our defense and quickness. JWIII can block shots. (I have a nagging worry about the minor meniscus issue.) PK is a good lane filler and rim protector if he is 100%. I expect NWG and JM to be tough guys. Melson was a pretty good defender at the end of last season. My bet is that Novell will be a defensive nightmare for opposing point guards, quick and crafty. BYU has big bodies and we all know how physical they can be, but I think they may be a little slower than the Zag's this year.

Does anyone who watched the scrimmages have a take on the defense? Does Rui look like he could use his size against Mika?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Truth. SMC has never earned my respect for anything more than being a good borderline tourney team. It's not that they suck, because they don't. It's just that they don't prove otherwise.

So no, SMC doesn't deserve respect nationally, or to win a conference

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Randy isn't better than rose or few

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Beating BYU is going to depend on our defense and quickness. JWIII can block shots. (I have a nagging worry about the minor meniscus issue.) PK is a good lane filler and rim protector if he is 100%. I expect NWG and JM to be tough guys. Melson was a pretty good defender at the end of last season. My bet is that Novell will be a defensive nightmare for opposing point guards, quick and crafty. BYU has big bodies and we all know how physical they can be, but I think they may be a little slower than the Zag's this year.

Does anyone who watched the scrimmages have a take on the defense? Does Rui look like he could use his size against Mika?
    I think we need to distinguish the coaching at SMC as "SMC" and the players that have come through there. They've had some gems and they all seem to be good guys, quality kids. Those players I respect. I think it's disrespectful to them when they don't get a chance to go beat some top teams, which they would on some occasions.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.