Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We should have held out for Andrew White

Default We should have held out for Andrew White

Holy Cow, this guy is exactly what we needed.

Nebraska's 2nd leading scorer will transfer for his senior year (immediately eligible). He was a 4-star recruit that averaged 16.6 ppg and 5.9 rpg last year after spending two seasons at Kansas. 6'7, 216.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ka-cornhuskers

Man, is there any way we can still get him. He is EXACTLY what we need. UGH

Nah, I'll take Mathews over this guy. I believe Mathews is da man. This guy is really awesome, but I doubt he would've come here anyway
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Nah, I'll take Mathews over this guy. I believe Mathews is da man. This guy is really awesome, but I doubt he would've come here anyway
    +1

Andrew White will be on 3 schools in 3 years.

Yes, he's a 6'7" wing who can shoot, BUT he's had one good season. Didn't play while at KU.

Mathews is also a '4* recruit' who has been consistent for 3 seasons. Has double the assists, half the fouls, and even less TO. Scoring nearly identical, yet JM has proven himself since he was a freshman.

We did just fine, if not better. I assure you we got the better student athlete.

Andrew White will probably be great wherever he ends up, yet we have added a terrific talent as well.

Interesting that Goodman, Bilas, Seth Davis, Andy Katz, Rothstein have all raved over Mathews, yet Andrew White has been mentioned in passing…kinda telling…

Either way, I'm happy with our guy.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    +1

Yes, he's a 6'7" wing who can shoot, BUT he's had one good season. Didn't play while at KU.

Mathews is also a '4* recruit' who has been consistent for 3 seasons. Has double the assists, half the fouls, and even less TO. Scoring nearly identical, yet JM has proven himself since he was a freshman.

We did just fine, if not better. I assure you we got the better student athlete.

Andrew White will probably be great wherever he ends up, yet we have added a terrific talent as well.

Interesting that Goodman, Bilas, Seth Davis, Andy Katz, Rothstein have all raved over Mathews, yet Andrew White has been mentioned in passing…kinda telling…

Ya, I should have held out for Raquel Welch.

How can White transfer for his senior year and be eligible immediately? Was he redshirting last year?? I don't get it.

Scoring nearly identical? 17ppg is the same as 14 ppg??? One is a 6'7 wing that fits exactly what we need and the other is a 6'2 sg. Matthews is awesome but you don't need to trash the other guy to boost your own
    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    You're dating yourself there Hondo. I bet half of the board doesn't even know who she is. LOL

I don't think his personal aspirations fit into what the Zags are building next year. Clearly very talented but next year's team is deep and it sounds like he wants to be the centerpiece. Pass.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknech....html?mode=jqm

One million Years BC as a young lad was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Scoring nearly identical? 17ppg is the same as 14 ppg??? One is a 6'7 wing that fits exactly what we need and the other is a 6'2 sg. Matthews is awesome but you don't need to trash the other guy to boost your own
    Chill. This year will most likely be a great team with a three guard lineup and it will be a fun year with lots of passing, blocks and draining three point shots. Enjoy it.

Our wing (and I like barbecue hot wings for the record) is coming next year. 6'6 215lb Kispert will be here before you know it, and will be an awesome peice in our cupboard.

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Call it a hunch, but I just have this feeling that we're going to be fine at the 3 this year and what we are actually going to need is exactly what Matthews brings.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    You're dating yourself there Hondo. I bet half of the board doesn't even know who she is. LOL
    She invented grape jelly.

I personally don't care about what kind of student athlete they are. I want the best player we can get.

Having said that, there was likely no way to know this was going to happen, and we did a better job than getting Rodney Pryor.

Even if Andrew ends up being the better player and makes it to the NBA, you're better off with something that you can get, and something that also fills a need.

Jordan Mathews does that. We never missed out on Andrew White if he was an unknown and we were not guaranteed to be on his list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a kid who's connected to us. He's a great guy. Lucky to have him and his 3 pt shooting. He's a great fit. He'll be a better shooting Wesley. Guy like him and that's a very big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post

Hey guys I'd like to dispel some of the notions that this guy would be a perfect fit for the Zags. I'm from Nebraska so the Huskers are basically my Zags Jr. While White is a nice shooter, he is not the piece the Zags need. I went to nearly every Husker game last season and have played several pickup games with him and there are some very serious flaws with his game. He is EXTREMELY robotic in his movements and motion. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He is a very poor dribbler. I mean very poor. He is an absolute non factor in the pick and roll game aside from just pulling it from deep. He finishes poor around the rim. He is also not as good as a rebounder as the stats may show. Oftentimes White would play 4 or even 5 because of Nebraska's lack of a big guy(don't even get me started). He is a subpar passer who was basically asked to fire away whenever he got daylight. Couple that with being just an average defender and you have a very average player who because of his situation put up some decently gaudy numbers. Hard pass, I'll take Matthews every day that ends in a Y.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonZag View Post
    Hey guys I'd like to dispel some of the notions that this guy would be a perfect fit for the Zags. I'm from Nebraska so the Huskers are basically my Zags Jr. While White is a nice shooter, he is not the piece the Zags need. I went to nearly every Husker game last season and have played several pickup games with him and there are some very serious flaws with his game. He is EXTREMELY robotic in his movements and motion. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He is a very poor dribbler. I mean very poor. He is an absolute non factor in the pick and roll game aside from just pulling it from deep. He finishes poor around the rim. He is also not as good as a rebounder as the stats may show. Oftentimes White would play 4 or even 5 because of Nebraska's lack of a big guy(don't even get me started). He is a subpar passer who was basically asked to fire away whenever he got daylight. Couple that with being just an average defender and you have a very average player who because of his situation put up some decently gaudy numbers. Hard pass, I'll take Matthews every day that ends in a Y.
    Well, that settles that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I personally don't care about what kind of student athlete they are. I want the best player we can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recipe for disaster right there

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Thank you. + a million

It's my belief that Gonzaga Men's Basketball tried selling it's soul once (and it didn't end well).

Jordan Mathews will have a chance to go into the annals as one of the alltime "classic" Zags. And I'm looking forward to it.

No, it's not. Saying that there is always a correlation between a student's grades/commitment to his education and how much he will give to his team on the court/how he will represent the program is adhering to a profiling that is tragically mischaracterizing. If they are just there to play ball, I am fine with that. Just keep your grades at a level that allows you to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    No, it's not. Saying that there is always a correlation between a student's grades/commitment to his education and how much he will give to his team on the court/how he will represent the program is adhering to a profiling that is tragically mischaracterizing. If they are just there to play ball, I am fine with that. Just keep your grades at a level that allows you to play.
    Gonzaga has generally had a tradition of student excellence on our basketball team. Sabonis, Kelly Olynyk, Blake Stepp, Dan Dickau are examples of our Academic All Americans who have had or or having considerable professional success. This level of academic success looks to be continued in the future with the recruits we have coming.

Yes, there have been exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

JMHO... this thread is pretty silly.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Off season threads......can we combine this one with the "we should have saved a scholly for Lebron thread"