Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Mathews Commits to GU

Default No mention of Bryan Alberts.

He joins a GU backcourt that includes Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss and Silas Melson.

Great person and I will miss him. #ClassAct. Best of luck to Bryan Alberts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post

Great person and I will miss him. #ClassAct. Best of luck to Bryan Alberts.
    That is reading a ton into ONE sentence. I read it more as dang our backcourt is good, we have Josh, NWG, Mathews and Melson. No offense to Brian, but he isnt on the caliber that those guys are yet. He could definitely transfer but i dont think this quote is any indication of that.

Wohooo Mathews! Going to be a fun season!

Beautiful. Pieces are coming together. I like this team.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    That is reading a ton into ONE sentence. I read it more as dang our backcourt is good, we have Josh, NWG, Mathews and Melson. No offense to Brian, but he isnt on the caliber that those guys are yet. He could definitely transfer but i dont think this quote is any indication of that.

Wohooo Mathews! Going to be a fun season!

Yeah... Alberts barely got minutes... NWG is expected to and Josh and Silas did... don't read too much into that sentence yet.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Also do not forget Norvel. If he does not redshirt he will be another in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Also do not forget Norvel. If he does not redshirt he will be another in the mix.
    Norvel is the forgotten wildcard in all this. We've heard he will "not" redshirt. It's possible that he's the type that comes in and is nearly impossible to keep off the floor, in the same way Sabonis was as a frosh behind Shem/Wilt. Can't know, but possible.

Big Welcome to Mathews. Glad he ignored the weather today.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Mathews hooped with the guys up in Spokane and the report is that he can really,really shoot the ball. As good or better than Pangos was their impression.

Zags just got better, but there will be some fallout, which I am sure the coaches anticipated when they accepted Mathews tranfer

Big time college basketball is a business, and at the end of the day it is about winning, and MF and Gonzaga get it better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Beautiful. Pieces are coming together. I like this team.
    I guess....this is going to be (another) long off season...

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Yeah... Alberts barely got minutes... NWG is expected to and Josh and Silas did... don't read too much into that sentence yet.
    Ha. The careful reader will look at this entire sentence. lol

Great addition to the team!

Great news!!!!

Jordan Mathews ‏@JordanMathews22 9h9 hours ago
    #ZAGUP

..a couple of tweets from cbssports John Rothstein....sounds about right

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago
    Early prediction on Gonzaga's 16-17 starting five: Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, John Williams, Przemek Karnowski.

Cal transfer Jordan Mathews commits to Gonzaga as expected. There is now a Top-10 caliber team in Spokane.

Welcome to Gonzaga Jordan Mathews. I can hardly wait to see you in a Gonzaga uni. The Zags just keep getting better and better. This could be one heck of a year. I can hardly wait to see this team in action. There will be a lot of new pieces so it may be a slow start.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Mathews hooped with the guys up in Spokane and the report is that he can really,really shoot the ball. As good or better than Pangos was their impression.

Zags just got better, but there will be some fallout, which I am sure the coaches anticipated when they accepted Mathews tranfer

Big time college basketball is a business, and at the end of the day it is about winning, and MF and Gonzaga get it better than most.
    I was always a scrub, got used to riding the pine. It has to be really tough for players like Alberts who were the stars on their HS teams. If Bryan can keep working hard, he'll be a key player his last two years at GU, much like Drainginis and Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I was always a scrub, got used to riding the pine. It has to be really tough for players like Alberts who were the stars on their HS teams. If Bryan can keep working hard, he'll be a key player his last two years at GU, much like Drainginis and Hart.
    It just will get tougher for him after next season. Go east, young man.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    ..a couple of tweets from cbssports John Rothstein....sounds about right

Early prediction on Gonzaga's 16-17 starting five: Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Jordan Mathews, John Williams, Przemek Karnowski.

Cal transfer Jordan Mathews commits to Gonzaga as expected. There is now a Top-10 caliber team in Spokane.
    Whoa. So we're that good we sit seven foot, five star, burger boys? I don't think so.

Maybe Matthews to the two and rotate the points. Williams at the three. Gotta gotta play Kid Kollins.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. So we're that good we sit seven foot, five star, burger boys? I don't think so.

Maybe Matthews to the two and rotate the points. Williams at the three. Gotta gotta play Kid Kollins.
    I wouldn't call coming off the bench for 18-24 minutes a night as a true freshman "sitting".

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It just will get tougher for him after next season. Go east, young man.
    You're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I wouldn't call coming off the bench for 18-24 minutes a night as a true freshman "sitting".
    200 minutes for the five spots, 80 for the 4-5, 120 for 1-3. I see Karno, JWIII, and Zach splitting those minutes, with big Ryan in the mix when there's foul trouble.

I see Silas returning as the 6th man, but the bulk of the 1-3 minutes will go to JM, Perk, and NWG.

I'm fully expecting to be "enlightened" by those much more in the know...lol.

200 minutes for the five spots, 80 for the 4-5, 120 for 1-3. I see Karno, JWIII, and Zach splitting those minutes, with big Ryan in the mix when there's foul trouble.

I see Silas returning as the 6th man, but the bulk of the 1-3 minutes will go to JM, Perk, and NWG.

I'm fully expecting to be "enlightened" by those much more in the know...lol.

Ball, and numbers, don't lie. GoZags is not a accountant evidently.

Do you feel like he'll be able to get good enough to outplay Zack, Silas, and Rui this year? And then Zack, Silas (if he is still here), Rui, Killian, Cory, Jesse, and a potential grad transfer and/or Daejon-like pickup next season? I personally don't see it, but I guess anything is possible, at this point.

Williams is more of a post than a face the basket wing. I doubt he plays much at the "3"
    Last edited by MileHigh; 06-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Karno to Jordan fer 3 will be so over used by announcers that it will become a cliche in the American imagination.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.