Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Mathews Commits to GU

Jordan Mathews and what made his decision to come to Gonzaga.

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/322...fer-to-gonzaga

He seems like a really awesome guy. Cal was lucky to have him for three years.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Interesting but I don't see the correlation between those three tidbits

mathews will play the 3, and willaims will play the 4

it makes no sense for alberts to tranfer now (due to log jam at the 3) becausue he can simply wait till summer and be a grad transfer and not sit another year

that is 4th interview I've seen with Mr. Mathews.

He's a future Politician or Coach or Lawyer.

He has a natural charisma, eloquence, ease in speaking and in front of the camera.

Seems like a great fit, looks thicker than our guards as well. Saw a picture/vid of him walking with Perkins. Similar height, but Mathews must have 20lbs on Josh.

Default ****music is R-Rated***

hit mute button, but nice clip of showing Mathews hitting jump shots from EVERY spot on the court. Most important takeaway, he can hit shots off the dribble, catch & shoot, create his own space along perimeter, etc.

Instantly becomes the best overall shooter on this team. Perkins is underrated for hitting 3's, yet has only shown the ability to hit "set" shots off the catch, at least thus far. Mathews' shooting is more versatile, kinda like Klay Thompson in that way -- can hit any shot from any place, any form. Mid-range too.

His presence and shooting ability will be much needed. I was highly concerned with the lack of shooting after Wiltjer and even Dranginis graduated. Allows Perkins and Williams-Goss to do what they do best, control the ball, dribble-drive, set up teammates, etc. I hope they place nice, I expect they will.

My only concern is Mathews' defense -- he wasn't asked to defend guys much bigger than 6'3" at Cal. He will be asked to defend guys bigger than him, much like Wesley and Dranginis did the last 2 seasons. They both rebounded with the bigs as well.

He will be good because he is a natural shooter who can mix it up if need be. He's not the dribble-driver penetrator like Wesley was, but we already have that set in stone. We needed shooting, elite shooting, and we got it.

Highlight reels never do it for me but I will say one thing after watching this one: he.needs.no.space. Every one of his threes was contested. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Highlight reels never do it for me but I will say one thing after watching this one: he.needs.no.space. Every one of his threes was contested. Wow!
    Exactly Tyra. A natural shooter no matter the situation or form. We need this next season…and got it!

His career 41% 3pt shooting with over 480 attempts speaks for itself.

This entire returning team doesn't have 480 attempts between them!

Amazing.

I thought the same thing - "Did they ever get this guy an open look?"
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Really nice .........high quick release off screens like Clay Thompson. Very nice addition

Default I like the beat to this music...

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    hit mute button, but nice clip of showing Mathews hitting jump shots from EVERY spot on the court. Most important takeaway, he can hit shots off the dribble, catch & shoot, create his own space along perimeter, etc.

Instantly becomes the best overall shooter on this team. Perkins is underrated for hitting 3's, yet has only shown the ability to hit "set" shots off the catch, at least thus far. Mathews' shooting is more versatile, kinda like Klay Thompson in that way -- can hit any shot from any place, any form. Mid-range too.

His presence and shooting ability will be much needed. I was highly concerned with the lack of shooting after Wiltjer and even Dranginis graduated. Allows Perkins and Williams-Goss to do what they do best, control the ball, dribble-drive, set up teammates, etc. I hope they place nice, I expect they will.

My only concern is Mathews' defense -- he wasn't asked to defend guys much bigger than 6'3" at Cal. He will be asked to defend guys bigger than him, much like Wesley and Dranginis did the last 2 seasons. They both rebounded with the bigs as well.

He will be good because he is a natural shooter who can mix it up if need be. He's not the dribble-driver penetrator like Wesley was, but we already have that set in stone. We needed shooting, elite shooting, and we got it.

I actually was dabbin to this song while watching the vid. The music is key to the presentation! Do you want to learn to dab?

Anyways lets get this party started ok? 16-17 with J Money raining THREES!!!!!!!! xoValxo

Holy high release batman. Haven't had guys that have that shooting form since around 2006. Maybe Gray. He's going to be fun to watch

Also looks to be able to absorb a fair amount of contact and finish inside. Plays bigger than his size would suggest ... vertical leap anybody?

Default Jordan Mathews dad is former San Fransisco Head Coach Phil Mathews

I had no clue that Jordan Mathews dad is former San Fransisco head coach Phil Mathews. Im sure it has probably been mentioned on this board before and I just didn't see it so im sorry if this is redundant or old news. Kind of cool tho. I thought Phil Mathews teams were competitive when he was head coach at USF. Always gave us fits at there gym as usual. I remember he got fired and I think USF brought in Eddie Sutton to replace him if im not mistaken. Good to see that he raised what sounds to be a great great young man and really good player. Welcome aboard Mathews family

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I had no clue that Jordan Mathews dad is former San Fransisco head coach Phil Mathews. Im sure it has probably been mentioned on this board before and I just didn't see it so im sorry if this is redundant or old news. Kind of cool tho. I thought Phil Mathews teams were competitive when he was head coach at USF. Always gave us fits at there gym as usual. I remember he got fired and I think USF brought in Eddie Sutton to replace him if im not mistaken. Good to see that he raised what sounds to be a great great young man and really good player. Welcome aboard Mathews family
    Yeah, I saw it mentioned in another thread in passing. I always liked Coach Mathews energy & enthusiasm on the sidelines. Given his age and experience, Jordan may emerge as one of leaders on this Zag unit. Few will be challenged to find the right combinations on the floor, but the talent level is intoxicating to think about!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Yeah, I saw it mentioned in another thread in passing. I always liked Coach Mathews energy & enthusiasm on the sidelines. Given his age and experience, Jordan may emerge as one of leaders on this Zag unit. Few will be challenged to find the right combinations on the floor, but the talent level is intoxicating to think about!!

Yes I agree. BIG time talent on this upcoming team. We lost BIG TIME talent in the form of Wiltjer and Sabonis and BIG TIME ATHLETICISM AND BALLS AND CLUTCH GENE AND TOUGHNESS AND HEART AND DESIRE AND HIGH MOTOR in the form of Mclellan and Dranginis and they will be very hard to replace but man the talent level seems to be as you said intoxicating for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    Fits with Few's long-standing love of coach's sons too. I'm really excited about Mathews.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Anyone who has still not yet watched the personal overview/interview posted earlier, really needs to invest the time. The kid sounds like a 40 year old in terms of insight and attitude, humble and yet confident. He literally hits the "Wesley Standard" which, honestly, I wasn't sure how anyone else could.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Also looks to be able to absorb a fair amount of contact and finish inside. Plays bigger than his size would suggest ... vertical leap anybody?
    this is what I noticed the most when I watch video of Matthews,
    the elevation on his jump shot seems much higher than the average college guard,
    he gets up there as a routine part of his shot

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    this is what I noticed the most when I watch video of Matthews,
    the elevation on his jump shot seems much higher than the average college guard,
    he gets up there as a routine part of his shot
    As high as Barry Kramer did?

Cal Transfer Jordan Mathews Talks About His Commitment To Gonzaga

“The decision was really made after talking to Coach Few, Coach Lloyd, Coach Daniels and Coach Michaelson and after being around the guys,” confirmed the talented guard. “The Kennel was really cool. All of Spokane was nice and the visit was great. I had been there before for the NCAA Tournament so I did have a feel for the city before the trip.”

“I have two more classes left and they are each four credits. Right now, I am hoping to head to Spokane around the 26th of August, right before school starts.”

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga...aga-commitment

Mathews is not the same type of player as Wesley was, but he will be just as important to the team. Wesley was a player who attacked the basket and scored inside with ease. Mathews is a jump shooter, and 3 point arsonist. With the departure of Wiltjer, Gonzaga really needed a player who could ignite the fire inside the gym like Wiltjer did. Edwards is going to do that, I believe. The way Mathews comes off screens and scores from beyond the 3 pt line reminds me of Richie Fraham. I believe that Mathews is even better than Fraham because he has all the moves to add to his 3 pt shooting. He's got a great pull-up jumper, and attacks the basket much better than Fraham did.

Mathews, like Wesley, has one year to play for GU. He's a mature senior and will add stability and high IQ to a somewhat inexperienced team. He has been a star basketball player at Cal, and Gonzaga will need that kind of a player to replace Wiltjer and Sabonis. We need someone who can score one on one the way Wiltjer and Sabonis did. Experience is a huge factor in playing basketball successfully. Mathews brings that kind of experience. He played, and was a star, in the very tough Pac 12. Wesley had a similar resume.

When you add players like Norvell and Melson to the mix, Gonzaga will have some really great shooting guards who have loads of confidence. The reports about Norvell have been awesome and really leave me excited. I believe that teams who make it to the Final Four, and who win championships, have great guards who can really play. Who can score inside and out. Who can hit 3's and attack the rim. I believe that Gonzaga has that kind of talent. And when you add the talent in our post positions, Collins, Williams, Edwards and Karnowski, this has to be a top ten team that can honestly make it to the Final Four.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Mathews also led Cal in FT% last year at 79.8%

It's KEY Gonstu. Good finding.

As a fan since 1999, this is one of the most excited off seasons for me. So many variables on new players coming in like Matthews for example. So pumped to see what he can bring ! Missed the ONE Cal game last March Madness due to cousins wedding out of town (getting married during first weekend of MM, ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As high as Barry Kramer did?
    Thought for sure you would say "The Goat", Jazz.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Thought for sure you would say "The Goat", Jazz.
    Earl Manigault, indeed, was a NYC playground legend. But Barry was a legitimate college superstar at NYU with Harold happy Hairston. And the prettiest jump shot I have ever seen.