Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 222

Thread: Zags Camp --Players Scrimmage Tonight 10pm

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default Zags Camp --Players Scrimmage Tonight 10pm

    Thanks to ZagsGuru for the heads up -- it sounds like the guys are going to scrimmage tonight after camp at 10pm.

    It also sounds like Kamaka Hepa is here also.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrbv1I0EeA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Please, please, please give a recap for us out of towners. Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Is this a closed doors scrimmage?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default

    We need the super secret hand shake and access code to check the guys out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default

    Players on hand:

    Sacre
    Dickau
    Perkins
    Bell
    Dranginis
    Melson
    Jones
    Stepp
    Williams
    Raivio
    Rui
    Hepa (only camper to run with the Zags)
    Edwards
    Goss
    Barham

    Typical scrimmage --not a lot of defense -- but it was good to see the guys back together.

    A few things that I noticed--

    Started out a bit rusty --couple of missed dunks/layup---but got better as they progressed -- played about an hour and 15 mins.

    Edwards was battling Sacre -- Edwards looked like he had some more confidence and had a couple of decent feeds from Perkins/Goss for some finishes.

    Sacre was talking up a storm as usual.

    Three point shooting from Perkins, Goss, Melson, Bell and Raivio looked good-- shooting with confidence and hitting a good percentage.

    Williams was there but did not play-- I did not see anything wrong with him physically (that I could tell from a distance)-- he did seem to be stretching out his legs as he was sitting on the sideline watching.

    Raivio still has this speed --but Goss got by him a couple of times driving to the hoop.

    Perkins and Goss are going to work well together-- both were attacking the basket--finishing through contact, setting up their teammates and doing a good job scoring from three.

    Hepa was working against Jones-- still has some developing to do (more strength/bulking up also) --but not afraid to mix it up inside to grab some boards (seemed to defer to the older guys rather than taking too many shots)-- was probably a bit tired also --he probably had played 2 games already with his high school team that day.

    Jones had a few good finishes.

    Rui was working hard-- looks a legit 6'8" --had the final basket to win one game.

    Overall the guys looked pretty good for an early off season scrimmage and there were no injuries.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Players on hand:

    Sacre
    Dickau
    Perkins
    Bell
    Dranginis
    Melson
    Jones
    Stepp
    Williams
    Raivio
    Rui
    Hepa (only camper to run with the Zags)
    Edwards
    Goss
    Barham

    Typical scrimmage --not a lot of defense -- but it was good to see the guys back together.

    A few things that I noticed--

    Started out a bit rusty --couple of missed dunks/layup---but got better as they progressed -- played about an hour and 15 mins.

    Edwards was battling Sacre -- Edwards looked like he had some more confidence and had a couple of decent feeds from Perkins/Goss for some finishes.

    Sacre was talking up a storm as usual.

    Three point shooting from Perkins, Goss, Melson, Bell and Raivio looked good-- shooting with confidence and hitting a good percentage.

    Williams was there but did not play-- I did not see anything wrong with him physically (that I could tell from a distance)-- he did seem to be stretching out his legs as he was sitting on the sideline watching.

    Raivio still has this speed --but Goss got by him a couple of times driving to the hoop.

    Perkins and Goss are going to work well together-- both were attacking the basket--finishing through contact, setting up their teammates and doing a good job scoring from three.

    Hepa was working against Jones-- still has some developing to do (more strength/bulking up also) --but not afraid to mix it up inside to grab some boards (seemed to defer to the older guys rather than taking too many shots)-- was probably a bit tired also --he probably had played 2 games already with his high school team that day.

    Jones had a few good finishes.

    Rui was working hard-- looks a legit 6'8" --had the final basket to win one game.

    Overall the guys looked pretty good for an early off season scrimmage and there were no injuries.
    Thanks for this recap Dawg... Very much appreciated!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Players on hand:

    Sacre
    Dickau
    Perkins
    Bell
    Dranginis
    Melson
    Jones
    Stepp
    Williams
    Raivio
    Rui
    Hepa (only camper to run with the Zags)
    Edwards
    Goss
    Barham

    Typical scrimmage --not a lot of defense -- but it was good to see the guys back together.

    A few things that I noticed--

    Started out a bit rusty --couple of missed dunks/layup---but got better as they progressed -- played about an hour and 15 mins.

    Edwards was battling Sacre -- Edwards looked like he had some more confidence and had a couple of decent feeds from Perkins/Goss for some finishes.

    Sacre was talking up a storm as usual.

    Three point shooting from Perkins, Goss, Melson, Bell and Raivio looked good-- shooting with confidence and hitting a good percentage.

    Williams was there but did not play-- I did not see anything wrong with him physically (that I could tell from a distance)-- he did seem to be stretching out his legs as he was sitting on the sideline watching.

    Raivio still has this speed --but Goss got by him a couple of times driving to the hoop.

    Perkins and Goss are going to work well together-- both were attacking the basket--finishing through contact, setting up their teammates and doing a good job scoring from three.

    Hepa was working against Jones-- still has some developing to do (more strength/bulking up also) --but not afraid to mix it up inside to grab some boards (seemed to defer to the older guys rather than taking too many shots)-- was probably a bit tired also --he probably had played 2 games already with his high school team that day.

    Jones had a few good finishes.

    Rui was working hard-- looks a legit 6'8" --had the final basket to win one game.

    Overall the guys looked pretty good for an early off season scrimmage and there were no injuries.
    Thanks so much! Huge that Hepa was running with the current/former players. Also, great to hear about NWG and Perk feeding off of one another. I guess there were no lingering eg issues with NWG? Again, thanks so much!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default

    Here is a little taste of the action-- towards the end --guys were a bit gassed and vid is a bit shaky (apologize).

    https://youtu.be/UnSd8unuo7E

    Rui with a good seal and finish and NWG with some nice shooting.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Here is a little taste of the action-- towards the end --guys were a bit gassed and vid is a bit shaky (apologize).

    https://youtu.be/UnSd8unuo7E
    THANK YOU!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Here is a little taste of the action-- towards the end --guys were a bit gassed and vid is a bit shaky (apologize).

    https://youtu.be/UnSd8unuo7E

    Rui with a good seal and finish and NWG with some nice shooting.
    NWG's knee looks healed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Thanks Zagdawg! Would you say that Edwards and Sacre was an even battle? That would shake things up s bit here on the 'Boards. Assumung Shem's healthy, Edwards and Collins could be competing for minutes.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default

    I would not say that it was an even battle -- Sacre was taking it easy (not working too hard most of the time)-- but Ryan had some flashes-- one turn around hook was really nice.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,495

    Default

    Reasons Alberts and Karnowski were not there-- family time!

    BRYAN ALBERTS ‏@bryan_a_alberts 48m48 minutes ago
    Enjoying family time in the Netherlands!


    Przemek Karnowski ‏@PKarnowski Jun 21 Warsaw, Poland
    Had a chance to meet and watch Polish Soccer National team game against Ukraine with Polish… https://www.instagram.com/p/BG7O2CRm4Ja/

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,079

    Default

    Zagdawg, thank you so much for the report. The posts from folks who watch the old zags at summer camp scrimmages are one of summer's hghlights for me.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Down Under, you know Opera house etc.
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Zagdawg, thank you so much for the report. The posts from folks who watch the old zags at summer camp scrimmages are one of summer's hghlights for me.
    Yes couldn't agree more ZN, it is not like I'm going to drop by myself!


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,891

    Default

    Are the guys still playing in the evenings or are they through for the summer?

    Thanks...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    784

    Default

    A new basketball camp started last night and runs through Wednesday night, so I would imagine there will be some scrimmage action this week. That's just a guess.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    NWG's knee looks healed.
    never had any issue/injury with his knee(s).

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    never had any issue/injury with his knee(s).
    Right. Ankle. My bad.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I had the opportunity to watch the last couple of scrimmages. I will tell everyone right now that Zach Norvell is going to be a special player for us. He will be the freshman/newcomer of year in the WCC. He is a thick, well built, athletic kid. He is very aggressive and does not shy away from contact. He has great range and has fantastic vision on the court. Last night he had some incredible dishes to Sacre. Shot the ball extremely well on Sunday night.

    Zach Collins looked terrific. Very smooth on the court and has great size. He shot the ball great Sunday night and had some nice blocks. He has a nice mid range jumper and drilled a 3 last night. Both him and Norvell look like returning players. Hard to believe that they both just finished high school. These 2 aren't the typical recruit. Hopefully GU will continue this trend. These 2 will be special.

    Rui is pretty raw. He will need some time to figure things out. He is a nice looking player.

    Cory Kispert played both nights with the boys and looked very impressive. He had a couple of dunks. One was an alley-oop from Stockton. Last night he drilled some 3s and checked Sacre down low with a nice block. Hard to believe he is only going to be a senior in high school!

    Extremely impressed with Norvell. He played with no fear or hesitation out there. He was one of the best players on the court both nights.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    I had the opportunity to watch the last couple of scrimmages. I will tell everyone right now that Zach Norvell is going to be a special player for us. He will be the freshman/newcomer of year in the WCC. He is a thick, well built, athletic kid. He is very aggressive and does not shy away from contact. He has great range and has fantastic vision on the court. Last night he had some incredible dishes to Sacre. Shot the ball extremely well on Sunday night.

    Zach Collins looked terrific. Very smooth on the court and has great size. He shot the ball great Sunday night and had some nice blocks. He has a nice mid range jumper and drilled a 3 last night. Both him and Norvell look like returning players. Hard to believe that they both just finished high school. These 2 aren't the typical recruit. Hopefully GU will continue this trend. These 2 will be special.

    Rui is pretty raw. He will need some time to figure things out. He is a nice looking player.

    Cory Kispert played both nights with the boys and looked very impressive. He had a couple of dunks. One was an alley-oop from Stockton. Last night he drilled some 3s and checked Sacre down low with a nice block. Hard to believe he is only going to be a senior in high school!

    Extremely impressed with Norvell. He played with no fear or hesitation out there. He was one of the best players on the court both nights.
    Love this report. Thanks. I'm excited, as usual. lol
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    I had the opportunity to watch the last couple of scrimmages. I will tell everyone right now that Zach Norvell is going to be a special player for us. He will be the freshman/newcomer of year in the WCC. He is a thick, well built, athletic kid. He is very aggressive and does not shy away from contact. He has great range and has fantastic vision on the court. Last night he had some incredible dishes to Sacre. Shot the ball extremely well on Sunday night.

    Zach Collins looked terrific. Very smooth on the court and has great size. He shot the ball great Sunday night and had some nice blocks. He has a nice mid range jumper and drilled a 3 last night. Both him and Norvell look like returning players. Hard to believe that they both just finished high school. These 2 aren't the typical recruit. Hopefully GU will continue this trend. These 2 will be special.

    Rui is pretty raw. He will need some time to figure things out. He is a nice looking player.

    Cory Kispert played both nights with the boys and looked very impressive. He had a couple of dunks. One was an alley-oop from Stockton. Last night he drilled some 3s and checked Sacre down low with a nice block. Hard to believe he is only going to be a senior in high school!

    Extremely impressed with Norvell. He played with no fear or hesitation out there. He was one of the best players on the court both nights.
    Out of curiosity (and not trying to be a smark alec) ... which Stockton?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Out of curiosity (and not trying to be a smark alec) ... which Stockton?
    Funny... was wondering the same exact thing.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Funny... was wondering the same exact thing.
    David

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Good analysis Zag DD. I also was there. I thought the three best looking players were Collins, Norvell and Krispert. Kispert is quite developed muscularly. I'm guessing 6'7" or so. All 3 played with good basketball acumen and I guess the best way to describe them is "polished". Collins looked shorter than Edwards by a couple inches to me. But he's definitely is a player. He definitely is thin but then it's like a weasel, it may be thin but you do not want to antagonize it. I don't think you can keep Norvell off the floor, he is going to get his playing time. Rui also will play. He was the most aggressive player on the court, it appears to be his mentality and nature extremely athletic and an above the rim player. It is hard to analyse defense in such a setting but all appeared to play hard.Ryan Edwards was the only one to play all 4 sets, 15 min each. He has lost the baby fat he came in with but is still developing in that area. He is a player that every year he plays he gets better. He doesn't make jumps in his developement but makes a smooth transition each year. I really can't tell what his ceiling is. He's a miler not a sprinter but by the end of the game he will wear you down. If he can add a passion to be the best center in the land he might do it. His work effort and stamina I would not question. His team whoever was playing won every set. With Sacre toutering him it has to be a good thing. He shot a lot and from many different areas and was adequate. He will get playing time. Tough night shooting for Melson but he played hard. He is a conundrum to me in that I believe he makes a higher percentage of his shots when shooting spontaneously that when he has time to think about it. If I were his coach I would have him shoot hundreds of 3 pointers a day with the last 50 with his eyes closed to learn to feel the shot and not see the shot. My mantra to Melson would be feel the shot, feel the shot. To feel the shot involves the 5 senses while seeing the shot uses only the eyeyes and brain. Some of the old dogs were Dickau, Stockton. Brown, Barham, Sacre and Draganis. Norvell, Krispert, and Collins will be a great pairing in the future.All the coaches were in attendance. One of the advantages of these scrimmages is you will definitely run yourself into shape.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 06-28-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •