Thread: Pepperdine has canceled their plans for a new arena. Won't build one after all.

Default Pepperdine has canceled their plans for a new arena. Won't build one after all.

http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/wa...w-sports-arena

Looks like they never really had the money to build a new arena, and are basically canceling building one. Their current gymnasium is the worst in the WCC.

Marty Wilson has recruited on the promise that a new arena was coming (look at his twitter - https://twitter.com/MartyWilson4?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor). The school aggressively did all the fundraising, focused mainly on the promise of a new arena. Now is keeping the money for campus projects and paying bills instead of doing the arena project. Seems very short sighted.

The Pepperdine fans are reacting like the whole arena thing was a big fraud (used to get general fundraising done), and are angry.

Wow. That's all I can say
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

sucks.....I would be pissssed also if I were a Pepp Bball fan

Not sure how they can argue that 3000 seat Firestone Field house is good enough, after they just raised $500M toward getting a new arena.

I think that picture is the real reason they don't want to spend the money....they are afraid to put the egg before the chicken

Unhappy This Smells

Maybe the fans will be so PO'd, Pepperdine's admin will rethink and recommit. This school, with proper facilities, could be a regular major player in the WCC.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

That pic is embarrassing. The high school I teach at gets more fans out for a JV game.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    That pic is embarrassing. The high school I teach at gets more fans out for a JV game.
    I was watching a televised game between Pepp and LMU a couple of years ago. The crowd was about that thin and virtually silent. During a couple of stretches, the Waves' defense put LMU deep enough into the shot clock that a turnover was imminent. A good home crowd would come alive during those moments. Instead, the broadcast picked up the loudest voice in the gym...a single LMU fan counting down the shot clock to help his team. The home crowd didn't even try to drown him out.

Pathetic. Way to go WCC... yet again.

Default Once the best

It goes to show the arms race in college bb facilities. I think it was about 20 years ago that the Mark Armstead GU team played Pepperdine there in the WCC Tournament final. In those days Firestone Fieldhouse was considered to be one of the best venues in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/wa...w-sports-arena

Looks like they never really had the money to build a new arena, and are basically canceling building one. Their current gymnasium is the worst in the WCC.

Marty Wilson has recruited on the promise that a new arena was coming (look at his twitter - https://twitter.com/MartyWilson4?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor). The school aggressively did all the fundraising, focused mainly on the promise of a new arena. Now is keeping the money for campus projects and paying bills instead of doing the arena project. Seems very short sighted.

The Pepperdine fans are reacting like the whole arena thing was a big fraud (used to get general fundraising done), and are angry.
    Not buying this.... I've been to all the venues except BYU. Pepperdine has air conditioning and a decent gym. Saint Mary's is the worst by far. A cracker box with no air - similar to a large garage.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Has anyone heard if Pepperdine is revisiting their plans to build a new arena?

I heard they promised Romar that they would build a new arena, but haven't seen anything announced. Was this just another lie on the part of Pepperdine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    Has anyone heard if Pepperdine is revisiting their plans to build a new arena?

I heard they promised Romar that they would build a new arena, but haven't seen anything announced. Was this just another lie on the part of Pepperdine?
    Their fan forum has almost completely died. No info. Same thing Tetonka; saw a video of Romar after he was hired saying he was told they would build a new facility.

I also posted some time ago a post from the BYU board. Got the impression that it was from the Dad of a HS volleyball player (male) that was being recruited by PEP. He stated that he & his son were told by the coaches & AD on his recruiting visit that they were building a new facility.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Really embracing for the 'locales' ... seeing how they are mostly Hollywood's finest (?).... lots of cash to throw around and b.s. The graduates themselves make a 'pretty penny'.... know quite a few! I agree with @Kiddwell.... only think lacking is a real "facility and of course a first rate Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post

I remember being able to show up for a Zag game and buy a ticket just like that and sit in the lower tier comfortably.....and Stockton was playing then...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I remember being able to show up for a Zag game and buy a ticket just like that and sit in the lower tier comfortably.....and Stockton was playing then...
    Yeah, winning cures a lot of ills.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.