Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Karnowski returning

The bike tires add 20 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Looks a bit thick.
    He was looking so thin at the end of last season - I was hoping he would bulk up a little bit.

Default 12 Ounce curls

Karnowski has been seen in Scotty's Dog House drinking beer. I think that is part of his training regimen to put a few ponds back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    Karnowski has been seen in Scotty's Dog House drinking beer. I think that is part of his training regimen to put a few ponds back on.
    Or maybe just to have a beer........

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 1h1 hour ago
    Gonzaga center Przemek Karnowski expects to be able to train at full speed in early September. @PKarnowski #ZagUp

Translated interview:

Przemek Karnowski: I want to attack the NBA draft next year

- The plan is that in early September to begin training at full speed. I want to get back into shape before the operation - says Przemek Karnowski in an interview with WP SportoweFakty.

WP SportoweFakty: At the end of last year, suffered a serious spinal injury you. Often it happens that injuries are affecting the psyche of the athlete. How was it in your case? There was a moment of doubt or collapse?

Przemek Karnowski : It was really tough moments for me. The more that almost four weeks I did not know what was going on with my body. I could not even get out of bed. Vital functions were heavily disrupted. They came to my parents, who helped me to move. December 31, I had an operation and from that moment everything started to pan out better.

How was the operation itself?

- The operation lasted more than five hours. Unfortunately this was the only way to fully cope with the injury of the spine.

The first days after surgery were not easy. He learned you almost everything from scratch.

- Yes it's true. After the operation, I sat down on the bed after six hours. I got up the next day after the afternoon. The procedure went after thinking doctors. There were no complications. Plan "A" was completed and there was no need to do any modifications.

Recent months have you spent on rehabilitation after spinal injury. As at this point it looks you health?

- It is definitely better. For more than two weeks run, I jump slightly. It is, however, if the base. These are not great for sprints and jumps. A doctor from the United States enabled me to perform these elements, which I have not done for nearly six months. I am pleased because rehabilitation is going according to plan. I am hopeful.

How long will still run rehabilitation?

- The doctor told me that about 2-3 months. I am with him in constant contact. If there is pain, they immediately call and inform it. Quickly to solve. So far, there was only one such situation. It was also quite a funny thing, because I could not bend down and dropped my phone and no one could help me. I had to bend down and felt pain. But soon everything was back to normal.

Some weight you lost weight. Slightly different looks you figure at this point.

- An interesting fact is that the disease, which is from 2 to 30 December, I lost 30 kg. I was on very strong antibiotics. I could not eat much. Now, I gained some weight and looks better. Although at this point I do not look at it, I look like, because the most important thing is health.

Already at the end of May, you made a decision on the future. The next month you will spend in Gonzaga. Why?

- I made this decision very consciously. I talked with the coaches, parents, university authorities. The decision was quick, because the coaches really wanted me to stay and continue my game. The team got a place because the two boys have signed up to the NBA. I want to show that I can play at a high level.

It is explained by the fans. You used the vested right, the so-called. "Medical redshirt" which enables further play at the university. How does it work?
    - Do not I played 30 percent of matches last season and could benefit from such a law. Although I had to submit an application, present a history of illness. The Commission is considered the NCAA.
    Did you have other options?

- Yes. I could even return to Europe. There were various possibilities, but decided on the fifth year in Gonzaga.

What are your goals? Back to training and ...?

- I want to attack the NBA draft next year. I hope I will miss my injuries and health everything will be just fine. The plan is that in early September to begin training at full speed. I want to get back into shape before the operation.

http://sportowefakty.wp.pl/koszykowk...przyszlym-roku

All sounds like Mt K's progression is coming along OK and, baring no setbacks, he may be full on by November. I sure hope his back issues are over and he has his best Zag season ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 1h1 hour ago
    Gonzaga center Przemek Karnowski expects to be able to train at full speed in early September. @PKarnowski #ZagUp

Translated interview:

Przemek Karnowski: I want to attack the NBA draft next year

- The plan is that in early September to begin training at full speed. I want to get back into shape before the operation - says Przemek Karnowski in an interview with WP SportoweFakty.

WP SportoweFakty: At the end of last year, suffered a serious spinal injury you. Often it happens that injuries are affecting the psyche of the athlete. How was it in your case? There was a moment of doubt or collapse?

Przemek Karnowski : It was really tough moments for me. The more that almost four weeks I did not know what was going on with my body. I could not even get out of bed. Vital functions were heavily disrupted. They came to my parents, who helped me to move. December 31, I had an operation and from that moment everything started to pan out better.

How was the operation itself?

- The operation lasted more than five hours. Unfortunately this was the only way to fully cope with the injury of the spine.

The first days after surgery were not easy. He learned you almost everything from scratch.

- Yes it's true. After the operation, I sat down on the bed after six hours. I got up the next day after the afternoon. The procedure went after thinking doctors. There were no complications. Plan "A" was completed and there was no need to do any modifications.

Recent months have you spent on rehabilitation after spinal injury. As at this point it looks you health?

- It is definitely better. For more than two weeks run, I jump slightly. It is, however, if the base. These are not great for sprints and jumps. A doctor from the United States enabled me to perform these elements, which I have not done for nearly six months. I am pleased because rehabilitation is going according to plan. I am hopeful.

How long will still run rehabilitation?

- The doctor told me that about 2-3 months. I am with him in constant contact. If there is pain, they immediately call and inform it. Quickly to solve. So far, there was only one such situation. It was also quite a funny thing, because I could not bend down and dropped my phone and no one could help me. I had to bend down and felt pain. But soon everything was back to normal.

Some weight you lost weight. Slightly different looks you figure at this point.

- An interesting fact is that the disease, which is from 2 to 30 December, I lost 30 kg. I was on very strong antibiotics. I could not eat much. Now, I gained some weight and looks better. Although at this point I do not look at it, I look like, because the most important thing is health.

Already at the end of May, you made a decision on the future. The next month you will spend in Gonzaga. Why?

- I made this decision very consciously. I talked with the coaches, parents, university authorities. The decision was quick, because the coaches really wanted me to stay and continue my game. The team got a place because the two boys have signed up to the NBA. I want to show that I can play at a high level.

It is explained by the fans. You used the vested right, the so-called. "Medical redshirt" which enables further play at the university. How does it work?
    - Do not I played 30 percent of matches last season and could benefit from such a law. Although I had to submit an application, present a history of illness. The Commission is considered the NCAA.
    Did you have other options?

- Yes. I could even return to Europe. There were various possibilities, but decided on the fifth year in Gonzaga.

What are your goals? Back to training and ...?

- I want to attack the NBA draft next year. I hope I will miss my injuries and health everything will be just fine. The plan is that in early September to begin training at full speed. I want to get back into shape before the operation.

http://sportowefakty.wp.pl/koszykowk...przyszlym-roku

Thanks for finding this...pretty informative. Just hope he is 100% and in no pain, when he steps on the floor!

He had pain picking up his cell phone?

Hope this resolves quickly, as Shem falls to the floor more often than any big in Zag history. No joke, this used to be one of my Wife and I drinking game rules.

Karno would consistently fall(slide on his butt) to the court after rebounds, misses, defending, etc -- matter of fact, it seemed habitual for him, as part of his game.

There were 2 games just last season he dove for loose balls, in addition to his butt slides. One has to admire his hustle, yet 7'1", 300lb centers don't usually dive for loose balls at the top of the key. Again, can't question his heart, but we have to be more realistic -- the biggest dudes on the court are better served upright.

Karno goes to the ground multiple times every game. I cringed for the past 4 seasons every. single. time. I cheered him on, but not one of them looked natural or safe.

Point is, falling down, hitting the court, are a part of Shem's game. Yes, he's moving, walking, jogging, yet he may have longer to go than we thought if bending is still painful.

I am hopeful and all signs point to a healthy long-term prognosis, but given Shem's habit of falling down, slamming on his butt after most contact, I'm not certain he'll be 100% by this season.

Just my opinion from the past 4 seasons of watching his style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    He had pain picking up his cell phone?

Hope this resolves quickly, as Shem falls to the floor more often than any big in Zag history. No joke, this used to be one of my Wife and I drinking game rules.

Karno would consistently fall(slide on his butt) to the court after rebounds, misses, defending, etc -- matter of fact, it seemed habitual for him, as part of his game.

There were 2 games just last season he dove for loose balls, in addition to his butt slides. One has to admire his hustle, yet 7'1", 300lb centers don't usually dive for loose balls at the top of the key. Again, can't question his heart, but we have to be more realistic -- the biggest dudes on the court are better served upright.

Karno goes to the ground multiple times every game. I cringed for the past 4 seasons every. single. time. I cheered him on, but not one of them looked natural or safe.

Point is, falling down, hitting the court, are a part of Shem's game. Yes, he's moving, walking, jogging, yet he may have longer to go than we thought if bending is still painful.

I am hopeful and all signs point to a healthy long-term prognosis, but given Shem's habit of falling down, slamming on his butt after most contact, I'm not certain he'll be 100% by this season.

Just my opinion from the past 4 seasons of watching his style of play.
    Yes falling to the ground is/was a problem, he had issues and he played hard. But, he worked hard on his body, and coordination, and it seemed to me he cut down those falls hugely between his frosh year and senior year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thanks, ZagDawg... Always good to get an update straight from the horse's mouth. Shem will be a great piece of this year's team.

As the key to the Zags this year, Shem is a terrific young man.

He might be if he's healthy Jazz. Big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As the key to the Zags this year, Shem is a terrific young man.
    Shem IS the key. He will be the team's leader, keeping all our talent working together, and not only with his play. His maturity and leadership are qualities beyond measure. This young man is worth his weight in gold sitting on the bench!

Guessing Few will work Shem in very carefully and selectively thinking of protecting if not over protecting him from additional injury. Everyone cares so much about him here and just wishing he recovers fully and obtains his dreams.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

From what I've heard during Gortat's camp, Karno is going to be fully recovered by autumn. He looked slimmer then ever and I guess his vertical will be much better this year. Damn he looks so much like Marc Gasol after slimming down. I'd love to see him working on his vertical this year and hitting the gym (muscles!) + working on his FT and shot range. He can be a deadly weapon in NBA and I'm pretty sure he will own basically everyone in the NCAA.

Gasol before and after ;-)

Karno before and after ;-)

Last edited by krii; 07-09-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added photo

Quote Originally Posted by krii View Post
    From what I've heard during Gortat's camp, Karno is going to be fully recovered by autumn. He looked slimmer then ever and I guess his vertical will be much better this year. Damn he looks so much like Marc Gasol after slimming down. I'd love to see him working on his vertical this year and hitting the gym (muscles!) + working on his FT and shot range. He can be a deadly weapon in NBA and I'm pretty sure he will own basically everyone in the NCAA.

Gasol before and after ;-)

Karno before and after ;-)

Man, he looks so much more fit and athletic. Hopefully he can keep the weight off like Gasol has.

Wow he looks slim and fit. If he's back at more than full strength, this team could be ridiculous.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

That before and after shot of Gasol is STUNNING. Went from being a baby faced doughboy to a grown man and a beast. Kinda like the complete transformation that Kevin Love underwent after college. That's gotta take a lot of hard work and dedication to change your body that much.

Karno's before and after he definitely looks slimmer, but his arms don't look anything like Gasol's do.

Don't forget he couldn't do any gym last couple of months. This year he'll definitely add some kilograms of muscles (that's what he said in an interview).

Gasol before signing with Memphis played in Spain for couple of years. In ca 2007 he looked like that:

It's NBA coaches that change your body to monster body ;-) He is still at the uni not having full team responsible for his feeding, gym, time schedule etc. I bet he'll look closer to Gortat or even Gasol in two years time.

A slim/athletic Karnowski is an NBA player for sure! Maybe even a starter. The excess weight and limited mobility are the only things that could prevent him from making a mark in today's NBA. If he keeps the weight off, it wouldn't surprise me if he averaged something like 16ppg / 10rpg / 2bpg / 2apg next season for Gonzaga. I really like him as a player. So skilled.

A 7 footer who can pass and play at 5 is always good, even in today's 'spread out' NBA. If everything is all right with his back I predict something more like 12ppg/10rpg/2bpg/3apg(!) on .640 FG and ca .650 FT (he looked much better with free throws last season before the injury) and MASSIVE defensive numbers (something about 91 DRtg and the most impressive advanced defensive stats in the college basketball). That would make him one of the best big men in the draft. He will be 24 next year, not that old for a center who should be able to fulfill any roster at C straight away. I mean ... look at those defensive numbers in there (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...rnowski-1.html) ... there is always a need for someone who is basically a healthier yet less-flashy version of Andrew Bogut I guess.

If he is healthy I bet the Zags game will focus around him and the guards plus extremely talented bench. Wooo I can't wait :-)

Quote Originally Posted by krii View Post
    A 7 footer who can pass and play at 5 is always good, even in today's 'spread out' NBA. If everything is all right with his back I predict something more like 12ppg/10rpg/2bpg/3apg(!) on .640 FG and ca .650 FT (he looked much better with free throws last season before the injury) and MASSIVE defensive numbers (something about 91 DRtg and the most impressive advanced defensive stats in the college basketball). That would make him one of the best big men in the draft. He will be 24 next year, not that old for a center who should be able to fulfill any roster at C straight away. I mean ... look at those defensive numbers in there (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...rnowski-1.html) ... there is always a need for someone who is basically a healthier yet less-flashy version of Andrew Bogut I guess.

If he is healthy I bet the Zags game will focus around him and the guards plus extremely talented bench. Wooo I can't wait :-)
    Bogut is an interesting comparison! There's definitely some overlap in skillset for those two :-) However, Bogut is a very underated athlete for a guy as big as him :-)

In his 5 games playing last year he was shooting .46 from the FT line -- I really hope he focuses on improving on this area as part of his comeback (he has shot 48% for his college career so far)-- by improving his free throw shooting he improves a huge piece of his game that will pay dividends immediately and long term.

Last year without big Shem we shot 76% from the line -- in 2014-15 we were at 69% and in 2013-14 were were at 71%.

2014-15 he shot 14% of all the free throws the team took and in 2013-14 he shot 23% of the free throws taken by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    In his 5 games playing last year he was shooting .46 from the FT line -- I really hope he focuses on improving on this area as part of his comeback (he has shot 48% for his college career so far)-- by improving his free throw shooting he improves a huge piece of his game that will pay dividends immediately and long term.

Last year without big Shem we shot 76% from the line -- in 2014-15 we were at 69% and in 2013-14 were were at 71%.

2014-15 he shot 14% of all the free throws the team took and in 2013-14 he shot 23% of the free throws taken by the team.
    Don't see why we keep focusing in on free throw shooting. It's a big weakness in little games with no relevance but when we played BYU, and especially SMC in title.... We nailed them. Like always. I think the total in SMC game was 21-22 or something awesome. Big games we don't let down.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.