Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zag Men Basketball Alumni Game June 24 -Convention Center

Default Zag Men Basketball Alumni Game June 24 -Convention Center

Zag Nation Retweeted
    Derek Deis ‏@DerekKXLY 1h1 hour ago
    Derek Deis Retweeted Ariana Cohen
    Big @SpokaneHoopfest announcement! @ZagMBB alumni game in Convention Center June 24. @ImJustPargo recruiting. #kxly

Dan Dickau
    ‏@dandickau21
    @DerekKXLY @SpokaneHoopfest @ZagMBB @ImJustPargo @ArianaKXLY4 Pargo and I will be captains with a draft let's see who's the best GM?

This is the Friday of Hoopfest weekend --going to be good to see our Zags in person again.

Warm up game for The Basketball Tournament

https://www.thetournament.com/teams/...8c9a1702291646

Default Announcement

Matt Santangelo was saying on the radio this morning that he is hoping he will not be pressed into action.

Matt said they are going to put a court into the Convention Center for this. $10 admission. He did say that Jeremy Pargo has been behind this effort for awhile.

Spokane Hoopfest

We'll be hosting a Gonzaga Men's Basketball alumni game in the Spokane Convention Center on Friday, June 24. We hope to have players from all 18 NCAA tournament teams.

Great idea.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Austin Daye
    ‏@Adaye5
    Hoop fest Alumni game this year??? �� Would be fun to get back up to Spokane for lil bit!!

Update

"New to Hoopfest 2016 is The Alumni Game, taking place on the Friday of Hoopfest week at the Spokane Convention Center. The inaugural event involves former Gonzaga University Men’s Basketball players competing against each other to tip off the Best Basketball Weekend on Earth. Activities will include a skills challenge, three point contest and slam dunk contest.

The Alumni Game was spearheaded by three former Gonzaga point guards, Matt Santangelo (‘96-’00), Dan Dickau (‘00-’02) and Jeremy Pargo (‘05-’09). The hope is that this event grows to include alums from other regional universities in future years.

This event is full of activities for all ages, including a FanFest, autograph/photo opportunities and local craft beer. Also stick around after the game and take advantage of HOPFEST at Hoopfest, the official after party. Make sure you don’t miss out on this exciting inaugural event Friday, June 24th!

Save the Date:

The Alumni Game

June 24, 2016

Spokane Convention Center

Doors open at 5pm, tip off at 7pm

More details to come!"

Gonzaga reunion will give fans chance to see ‘old’ Zags play in Hoopfest charity game

"Pargo (2005-09) said he and Dickau (2000-02) are hoping to televise their team selections.

“I was responsible for getting guys more around my class to come back and participate,” Pargo said. “I’ve got (Kevin) Pangos. He said he’ll play. Kelly (Olynyk) is hurt, but he’ll be there. Rob (Sacre) is going to be in the 3-point contest. We’ve got Micah (Downs), Austin (Daye), Ira (Brown), a lot of guys.”

Other players expected include Gary Bell Jr., Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray, Casey Calvary and Derek Raivio, he said."

Pargo, who said “Of COURSE I’m playing” a full octave higher than his normal tone, already started talking smack about Pangos, who was the point guard who last led Gonzaga to the Elite 8 in 2015.

“I think we would have beat them pretty bad,” Pargo said of Pangos’ last team.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-to-see-old-z/

This sounds amazing, can't wait to check it out!

I stole this from another thread but the message is still there. Kevin Pangos will be at the alumni game and Can't Miss will be available afterwards.

Can't Miss- The Kevin Pangos Story is a book that every parent, every young athlete, and every Zags fan should read. It captures the family values, the work ethic, and the journey that KP took from Newmarket, Ontario to Spokane, Washington. It shows how those values made life on the shores of the Spokane River a perfect fit for one of the most popular Zags ever. The story captures the high quality of all the people who helped Kevin along the way to Gonzaga and takes an inside look at life as a Zag through interviews with players and coaches and alumni.

The book has been available online at cantmisskid.com but with Kevin being in Spain this year playing at an all star level in his first year as a pro, Hoopfest weekend will be the first time Zags fans will have a chance to buy the book signed in person by Kevin. KP and first time author and family friend Chris Dooley will talk about the book and have many Pangos stories the Zags fans will love to hear. Kevin will be available for questions and book signing.

Thursday June 23 :The event takes place at Aunties Bookstore, 402 W Main Ave. Date is Thursday June 23. Time is 7-8pm.
    Friday June 24: Gonzaga Alumni game- doors open at 5. Game time 7pm
    Saturday June 25: Hoopfest KP signing- time TBA

About 1 year ago, there was a lady who is an author. Her dad was well along in years but he loved Kevin Pango and we heard from her regularly untill after the draft. Does anyone remember who she was?? I lost track.

Default New article

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-to-see-old-z/

Pargo and Dickau are captains and trading barbs.

Is there any chance this game might be televised? Just my thoughts but it could be an advertising bonanza!

Oh man. Wow.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Oh man. Wow.
    I'm surprised the game isn't moved from the Convention Center to The Kennel as it would be a huge opportunity for the players to play another game at GU in front of their fans. I could see this being a sell-out game. They really need to tie this in with a national charity too to maximize the media and corporate interest.

Here is another suggestion: Mark Few versus Tommy Lloyd as the coaches battle it out on the court coaching their former players! The Coaches can also draft current and former GU coaches to help coach the Pangos or Pargo teams. Now that would really add some fun to the contest.

Default Hoopfest

This part of the overall Hoopfest program so they want to keep it Downtown. They passed on the Spokane Arena for that reason.

I'd take Pargo over Pangos.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I'd take Pargo over Pangos.
    Agree, JP is just so much stronger and quicker than KP. JP has an extremely quick first step, which is extremely tough to defend. In addition, I believe JP's "D" would stifle KP and take him out of the game; however, this game will be a "fun game" so I would imagine that a minimal of "D" will be played as in the NBA All-Star and McD's games.

Bozozags is correct about the showboating. I went to the Hoopfest associated event they had a few years ago at the arena that featured past Zags and UW players plus some other pros with no relation to the NW (like John Wall). It was a fun event, with some flashes of really tough D, but other flashes of the Globetrotters showboating and no D. Wouldn't miss it.

Not as a point guard. Pangos knew how to run a team. Jeremy had all kinds of flash but as a college PG for the Zags, it's not close. Pangos never jumped over a chair to dunk......but he really was a pure PG.

Tickets are on sale now at Ticketswest. Was told 2000 tickets will be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not as a point guard. Pangos knew how to run a team. Jeremy had all kinds of flash but as a college PG for the Zags, it's not close. Pangos never jumped over a chair to dunk......but he really was a pure PG.
    Pangos could jump off a chair to dunk though.

Maybe not college player Pargo over Pangos, but now Pargo has a lot more pro years including a couple NBA stints so I would give edge to Pargo at this point.

Default Alumni Draft

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Please tell me someone will have this game on TV (fingers, arms and legs are crossed)!

TEAM PARGO:

Austin Daye

Ira Brown

Derek Raivio

Casey Calvary

Erroll Knight

David Pendergraft

Matt Santangelo

Alex Hernandez

Winston Brooks

Colin Floyd

TEAM DICKAU:

Micah Downs

Steven Gray

Blake Stepp

Kyle Dranginis

Kevin Pangos

Zach Gourde

David Stockton

Cory Violette

Mike Nilson

Ryan Floyd

Wow. This is so awesome.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

A lot of big guys on one, and smaller guys on the other. Seems a little one sided each way. It should be a fun game. Wish I could see it.
    GO ZAGS!!!