Thread: Kacie

Default Kacie

‘Horns welcome Bosch home

5/9/2016 1:17:00 PM

Bookmark and Share

Lethbridge – The Pronghorn women's basketball program and head coach Dave Adams are thrilled to announce today that local product Kacie Bosch has committed to join the Pronghorns for the 2016-17 season.

Highly recruited out of high school, Bosch returns home to join the Lethbridge Pronghorn women's basketball team after two seasons with the Gonzaga Bulldogs (NCAA). Bosch will take advantage of the CIS repatriation rule and will be eligible to compete immediately.

"Kacie brings a swift cultural infusion of change into our program as she has won at every program that she has been a part of," said head coach Dave Adams. "Kacie will be able to play her natural position at point guard and add immediate leadership in the backcourt."

"Kacie is an outstanding athlete who has worked tirelessly at her craft to continue to improve."

As a freshman Bosch saw action in 16 games for the Bulldogs and played in another 18 games this season.

"I am so happy to be coming home to play with a team that's on the up and coming," said Bosch. "The girls, coaches and people surrounding this program are wonderful and I can't wait to be a part of it."

Prior to heading to Spokane, Washington, Bosch starred for Chinook High School, winning the Southern Alberta High School Basketball League (SAHSBL) most valuable player award in both her grade 11 and grade 12 years. She led the Coyotes in scoring all three years she played for Chinook, averaging 19.7 points in grad 10 and 23.3 and 22.3 points in Grade 11 and 12 respectively.

Her Grade 12 year, she also led the Coyotes to a 12-1 record and a regular season tie with Raymond. The Coyotes went on to win the 4A Zone tournament but had to settle for a Provincial Silver medal after a loss to Raymond in the final.

Bosch and the Coyotes finished fourth at Provincials in 2013 under current Pronghorn men's head coach Mike Hansen.

She also comes in with a wealth of Provincial team experience, playing two summers with each of the U15 and 17 teams. In 2013 Bosch led the Alberta U17 team to a fourth place finish at the Canada Games.

The women's basketball program will round out their 2016/17 recruiting class in the coming weeks and will open camp in early fall. Canada West will announce the 2016-17 conference schedule in early June.

well, the rumors we heard were true.....good luck to dear Kacie.....I wish you had more opportunity here....we loved your energy...you're a winner, no question about it....

Print Friendly Version

Thanks for the link Sylean. Good digging.

My granddaughter is going to take this hard.

Players come and go but I feel bad about this one. Kacie was one of the most personable Zags I ever interacted with, was great with the kids and fans whenever the opportunity arose and she was very well liked by the players and the fans. Her visits to the "Bamboo" were always animated and entertaining.

I see the new coach mentions KB will be playing her natural position of Point Guard. Great for Kacie, bad for us. Sounds kind of weird for a player who did not see the court as much as she should have but I think our team will miss her more than we think.

I am happy for her but I do feel a little like those stories where the doctor cuts the wrong finger off by mistake. Our tunnel vision coaches picked a direction here and their tunnel vision committment to others, even in the midst of a difficult season, did not allow for the fans to get a true glimpse of Kacie.

Good news for the her that she does not have to sit out a year.

Good luck Kacie. Thanks for your time with us.

Go Pronghorns...whatever they are....

Kacie was one of my favorites from the get go. I'm sorry she didn't get the opportunity for more floor time in Spokane to show what she could do. I wish her well at Lethbridge, where she'll have a chance to show off her skills in front of a home town crowd. In spite of her experience at Gonzaga, she always remained a fan favorite and was especially loved by her teammates. Best of luck to her in all her future endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavebear33 View Post
    Kacie was one of my favorites from the get go. I'm sorry she didn't get the opportunity for more floor time in Spokane to show what she could do. I wish her well at Lethbridge, where she'll have a chance to show off her skills in front of a home town crowd. In spite of her experience at Gonzaga, she always remained a fan favorite and was especially loved by her teammates. Best of luck to her in all her future endeavors.

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by Cavebear33 View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with the above. There was not a bigger cheerleader and ambassador for the team than Kacie. She will certainly be missed next year. Hope she has a great future with the pronghorns. They are getting a very good player and an even better person. As the pronghorn's coach said, it was like Christmas in May when Kacie as him if she could come back. Good Luck Kacie, thank you for the last two years.

In reading the articles, the information provided raises a very good question. Kacie played point in Middle School and High School. She only played wing when she was on the Canadian National Team. So, in 2014-2015 season when we needed people to play point guard (we really only had Georgia) and we did not need people to play wing (Elle, Shaq, Lindsey, etc) why was Kacie relegated to playing wing? A scholarship player who played their entire MS and HS career at point guard is not given a chance to play point but is instead played at wing when she herself said she need to work on her outside jump shot?

Seems to me that Kacie was not given a chance (at least in the games) to play at her natural position and at the position where she could have provided the most help for the Lady Zags. She was played in a position where the the lady zags already had many players, most if not all who had more experience at playing that position.

Our loss. Good Luck Kacie.

ZagDad

Today's Spokesman-Review had an article about Kacie leaving and Louise coming next year.

From the Spokesman-Review:

The Gonzaga women’s basketball program has lost one Canadian player but may be gaining another.

Sophomore guard Kacie Bosch has left the program and will play in her native Canada next year, coach Lisa Fortier confirmed Tuesday.

At the same time, the Bulldogs received an oral commitment from Langley, British Columbia, shooting guard Louise Forsyth, the 57th-ranked high school player in North America, according to ESPN.

Forsyth was a first-team 2016 AAA All-Star last season after she led her Brooksword Bobcats to their third-straight AAA championship game.

Forsyth also a member of the 2016 U17 Women’s National Team, which defeated Brazil in the title game to give Team Canada its first-ever FIBA Americas age-group championship.

According to scouts, the 6-foot-tall Forsyth has a good shooting touch from all distances and is a versatile defender.

Meanwhile, Bosch is returning home. According to the Lethbridge (Alberta) Herald, she plans to play next season for her hometown University of Lethbridge.

Lack of playing time was a factor in Bosch’s decision, Fortier said. Bosch averaged 5.2 minutes and 0.3 points last year for the Bulldogs. She appeared in 18 games.

Used as a wing at GU, Bosch expects to play point guard at Lethbridge.

“It was pretty easy. My family lives here,” she told the Herald . “The fans at Gonzaga were really great but it wasn’t the place where I needed to be, where I thought I’d be happiest and I definitely wasn’t happy, so making the decision was easy.”

Interesting to note that Kacie went out of her way to identify with the fans in the article but there were no quotes on the coaches or players. Newspaper editing or ??

ZagDad

Hondo, Mr. and Mrs. Section 116 and I had lunch at the Hemmingson Center a week ago and saw Kacie among the students while there. Didn't know that would be the last time we'd see her on the Gonzaga campus. As I stated above, I'm sorry to see her go, but can certainly understand her frustrations. I kind of thought after this season, we wouldn't see her on the team next year. Knowing your skill set is at point guard and never getting to take the floor in that position, it's no wonder she didn't really impress in the few minutes she saw. I'm going to be watching Lethbridge while she's there. They only won one game last year but I think there's going to be a dramatic turnaround as Kacie isn't the only new face showing up. I think she's going to have a blast playing there. I wish nothing but the best for her and the Pronghorns. Even from afar, I'm still going to be a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post

Interesting to note that Kacie went out of her way to identify with the fans in the article but there were no quotes on the coaches or players. Newspaper editing or ??

ZagDad
    I think she would be far too gracious to speak poorly of her teammates or coaches. All sources here point to the fact she was a great teammate and that love was returned to her by her teammates. I don't think I ever saw her without a smile. I can't imagine she had a deep love for a coaching staff who made decisions about her over the past couple of seasons.

We cant be too quick to forget that we had some chemistry issues last season as we all, at one time or another, mentioned it. I am happy for Kacie but, if I was a coach, I would wonder why a player would rather leave than stay with such a program as Gonzaga. Home town or not. I think if is safe to say that she wanted to go back to her hometown but it is just as safe to say that if there are some reasons, the reason(s) she left are still with our team in the form of coaches, players or culture. At the end of the day it is all the responsibility of the coaches.

I can't wait for next year to begin. I think we will see a successful team that works together. With Elle back there should be a renewed accountability for those who portray selfish play and/or poor attitudes. If we get more of what we had this year you can bet there will be changes at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyzaga View Post
    I think she would be far too gracious to speak poorly of her teammates or coaches. All sources here point to the fact she was a great teammate and that love was returned to her by her teammates. I don't think I ever saw her without a smile. I can't imagine she had a deep love for a coaching staff who made decisions about her over the past couple of seasons.

We cant be too quick to forget that we had some chemistry issues last season as we all, at one time or another, mentioned it. I am happy for Kacie but, if I was a coach, I would wonder why a player would rather leave than stay with such a program as Gonzaga. Home town or not. I think if is safe to say that she wanted to go back to her hometown but it is just as safe to say that if there are some reasons, the reason(s) she left are still with our team in the form of coaches, players or culture. At the end of the day it is all the responsibility of the coaches.

I can't wait for next year to begin. I think we will see a successful team that works together. With Elle back there should be a renewed accountability for those who portray selfish play and/or poor attitudes. If we get more of what we had this year you can bet there will be changes at the top.
    Lady - I fully agree that Kacie would be far to gracious to say anything bad about anybody. My comment was more along the line of "her silence" (about her teammates and coaches) speaks volumes.

I also do not want to imply something that may not be the case. I have also been the victim of newspaper editing that left out important data that totally changed the meaning of the comments that were made. Kacie may have just as easily praised her coaches and teammates and to fit the article in the allowed space, these comments got edited out. I just thought that it was interesting that the fans got mentioned and the coaches and teammates did not at least in the piece as it was presented.

My kids played football on a State Championship team. They were not starters but were 2nd string. At the end of the year banquet, the head football coach thanked all of the players. He stated that the starters were so good, because of the quality of the 2nd and 3rd string players they had to play against everyday in practice. Every member of the team is important and the state title was a team title earned by all. I feel the same way about all team sports. Every player has his or her position. In the case of my kids, the had been starters their entire life. In most years they would have been starters. It was just luck of the draw that during their time in HS they went to school with a bunch of better players. They traded playing time for a state championship. Not necessarily a bad trade.

Same thing for Chelsea Waters, Kacie, and others, who do not see much playing time. When you play on a sweet 16 team, the players on that team are pretty darn good and somebody has to sit on the bench. Who knows how much each of these players would have developed if given a chance of more playing time or playing at their best position.

ZagDad

wellll.....the elephant in the room is that for one recruiting year we recruited 5 point guards..Emma S who did play point in Europe, Laura Corneliaus, Bando, Kacie, and Georgia....all for one year.....hmmmm......why did we do that?.....and if Bando had kept her committment and Laura C did not hurt her knee, we would have had all 5 here at the same time....hmmmm....

I hate when programs stash players....recruit them, overrecruit in their position and then they sit....that is what happened to Kacie....btw, who would have sat if Kacie got more playing time?....no matter what way you look at it, there was going to be a player without any reality of actually getting significant playing time...

Always tough to see things not work out for a player... talked with Kacie last summer during the camps and can say she was not only a good ball player but a great person. She had hurt herself working out but was still on hand to help out with the campers.

Sometimes things just don't work out... with the addition of Chandler and Mac and the return of Elle.... Kacie, I'm sure, saw her playing time as being limited. As sad as I am at seeing her leave, I'm happy for her going home and being able to continue to play ball.

As far as GU loading the team with PGs, nothing wrong with having a few ball handlers on the team... we will be adding another very good ball handler this fall.

Has anyone heard anything on the Wirth twins? Read up on them and they would be a great add to the Lady Zags. Go get them Lisa....

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    wellll.....the elephant in the room is that for one recruiting year we recruited 5 point guards..Emma S who did play point in Europe, Laura Corneliaus, Bando, Kacie, and Georgia....all for one year.....hmmmm......why did we do that?.....and if Bando had kept her committment and Laura C did not hurt her knee, we would have had all 5 here at the same time....hmmmm....

I hate when programs stash players....recruit them, overrecruit in their position and then they sit....that is what happened to Kacie....btw, who would have sat if Kacie got more playing time?....no matter what way you look at it, there was going to be a player without any reality of actually getting significant playing time...
    Sylean, as far as the point guards, you essentially answered your own question as to why recruit 5 point guards. Of the five you list two never made it to campus for practice. Oral commitments are great, LOI's are better but neither can guarantee the player makes it to the team. See LC and Bando. Maybe KG knew that Mikie and Danelle were not coming back which would explain "over" supplying at the point position. Georgia was only going to be a 2-year player not a 4 year player. While you mention ES played point in Germany and Bando played in HS, Bando is playing a 2/3 at UO not point. Just because a person plays point in HS does not mean they cannot transition to the 2/3. It is much harder and much more unlikely for a 2/3 to transition to point. Sometimes good athletes are brought in with the hope they will transition to a different location. Sometimes it works, others, not so much.

As Skip noted above, there is nothing unusual about the five guards KG offered. Given the circumstances as it evolved, we could have used even another point guard in the 2014/15 season. The question is why a true point (Kacie) was never given the chance by LF to run the point. There certainly was a need for another point in 2014/15. With the addition of LS, the need for another point in 2015/16 was greatly reduced. It just seems really weird that a highly decorated HS player is not given a chance to play at her HS position at anytime during her 2 years here.

Again, we are not the coach and we only see the players during game time. Maybe something else was going on during practice, but something is seems a little out of sort.

ZagDad

I'm beginning to wonder about the circumstances of Kacie's departure. So far, I've seen nothing from her coaches or teammates thanking her for her time with the Zags and wishing her well at her new school. That seems very curious to me. Among her teammates I know she was well liked, and the least Lisa and the other coaches could do is express a sincere goodbye. The silence seems strange.

The basic story rings true to me. It's very reasonable that she'd like to get playing time at her natural position. Also makes great sense to transfer to a place she doesn't need to sit out for a year. I would hope all could be gracious as she has contributed her best for two years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....same can be said for skill sets and coaches....I imagine loyalty to upperclasswomen and a talented legacy might have had something to do with it....liked her high school tapes and from what I saw it looked like she had game and good court vision....definitely a victim of the numbers...too bad...best of luck..

Thanks Kacie,

Sorry if you don't agree, but, when do we ever agree here...lol. I would much rather see Chandler on the floor than Kacie. I adored Kacie, she was always so nice and friendly to my family and the friends we would bring to the games. However, and yes folks, here it is.... Being a Kind, wonderful, great person does not mean your the best fit, most athletic. She is a good player, I will not deny that. If a point guard, can not run a floor because she just can't nail down the offense in that position then she won't play there. I believe it was ZagDad that mentioned perhaps there was something different going on at practice. You have heard the term game day and practice players I would assume. However sometimes if you can't run a floor through practice then you just don't see time there. You can also go back to that class of recruits and wonder what was KG or JKB thinking. Wasn't Kacie the last to commit and on the very last day possible. I am sure she was not holding out for a better offer. Sometimes it is just the way things go. I know Kacie was missing her family, and this move makes sense for her. I wish her the best of luck and I am sure she will put some numbers on the board there. Yes, at the end of the day it is the coach's responsibility to put together the best team possible, I personally hate to see Kacie go, yet know as far as basketball goes it was a good choice.

"We cant be too quick to forget that we had some chemistry issues last season as we all, at one time or another, mentioned it. I am happy for Kacie but, if I was a coach, I would wonder why a player would rather leave than stay with such a program as Gonzaga. Home town or not. I think if is safe to say that she wanted to go back to her hometown but it is just as safe to say that if there are some reasons, the reason(s) she left are still with our team in the form of coaches, players or culture. At the end of the day it is all the responsibility of the coaches."

I don't think she should have been recruited....there was no spot for Kacie, or a couple of others, but thankfully we didn't "have to" keep Bando....and sadly Laura Cornelius hurt her knee ( I think she plays down in Florida now)..I don't think coaches should pass out sholies without the player having a realistic chance of play....so I don't know why we dragged the poor girl down here if she didn't have a spot....shame on us, or somebody...

I think we had a very close group of seniors...remember, the seniors have been around a long time....5 yrs of meshing....we had no junior class to count on for continuity....we were skimpy in the soph class, and the freshmen class was as confident and poised as if they have been here a long time.....no long faces...no hanging their heads...no questioning themselves....they came to play....

it's only natural with such a group for friendships and alliances to form....I think the laura s, zhane, jill group played well together....Shaq and GS and Chels played together well....Shelby played well with all of them....

besides, Few brings new players in for one or two years and they played together well.....these kids afterall, are used to playing with all sorts of teams from grade school on up.....they know they have to play as a team

Since it has been at least a couple of months since I have dissected one of your comments, for old times sake:

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I don't think she should have been recruited....there was no spot for Kacie, I don't understand this comment. After listening to you complain consistently about Emma and Georgia both last year and the year before, there certainly was a spot for her on the team. The coaching staff obviously felt she was not the best 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. or a couple of others, but thankfully we didn't "have to" keep Bando.We could have kept Bando for a year, but GU has historically released candidates if they request it which is the right thing to do in my opinion...and sadly Laura Cornelius hurt her knee ( I think she plays down in Florida now)..I don't think coaches should pass out sholies without the player having a realistic chance of play.Do you really think KG of LF or any of the other coaches "knew" that Kacie would ride the pine her entire career when they offered her the scholarship? I think KG is good, but he is not that good. After he left, Kacie apparently was "not a good" fit for Lisa's team. Kacie did what she felt was right and went home. Good for Her and Good Luck. Hopefully with the drop in the level of competition, she will have a beak out season or two. ...so I don't know why we dragged the poor girl down here if she didn't have a spot.There was a spot or two available, she, in LF's eyes did not earn the available spots. ...shame on us, or somebody..Really!!! All Kacie got was two (2) years of college education paid for at a very good school. I just paid my daughter's last bill for graduating at GU so I know the value of a scholarship. Kacie did not get a chance to play, but she did get 2 years of education paid for. She made out all right. GU promised Kacie an education and a chance to play on the basketball team. GU honored their obligation and has nothing to be ashamed of. . ..

Recruiting is absolutely not an exact science. You recruit HS players based on how the play in school and club ball and "project" based on their demonstrated skill sets how they will play against bigger and stronger kids at the D-1 level in college. Sometimes the kids progress by leaps and bounds and become stars in college. Sometimes the kids improve sufficiently to become a starter. These kids may not be an all-league player but they play well enough to give the team a bunch of quality minutes. In other times, the kids simply do not, for whatever reason, improve sufficiently to provide quality minutes against the better competition.

For example, Chelsea improved dramatically this year with all of the increased playing time. However, would you ever have traded Shelby or Sunny's starting spots or Emma W's relief minutes for Chelsea? I think not. While Chelsea got much better with the added playing time she did not get "better" then the players directly in front of her. There are only so many minutes in a game. The best players play, the better players provide relief minutes and the average (although still very qood) players ride the pine hoping for a few minutes at the end of the game. Every walk-on in the country knows this and still puts in the same amount of work as the scholarship players but at the end of the day still has to pay for school.

We may find out that one of your favorite players, Zhane, rides the pine quite a bit this year. While her shot looks nice, she has a good release and she is quick, she also is mediocre on defense and her shots did not fall with consistency. If Mak and Chandler live up to their hype, Emma S and Zhane may be fighting for the leftover minutes this year. The coaching staff did not do anything wrong, they simply keep trying to recruit better players to improve the team, which is exactly what they should do. GU promises the scholarship players an education, they do not promise playing time. That is for the ladies to work for.

ZagDad