Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Silas Melson FG%

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,552

    Default Silas Melson FG%

    After 2 seasons, his average FG% is 39.5%. His avg 3pt is 33%.

    These MUST improve for him to continue receiving serious PT and be taken serious on the court.

    He earned 22 mpg last season -- 6th man off the bench.

    Silas attempted the 5th most shots on the team last season, more than Kyle Dranginis. He attempted the 3rd most shots in our final game. He's become a legitimate option to shoot the ball.

    How can he improve these #'s? Shot selection? More PT? More attempts?

    I consider him as a key player going forward. Coach Few likes him on the court, yet unless he improves his FG% to above 40%, he's hurting the team's o-efficiency.

    We know he defends at a high level, gives great hustle, and seems to be a team guy off the court, this is focused primarily on his shooting %, which sticks out like a sore thumb amongst so many good shooters.

    Curious...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    So hes half a percentage from meeting the somewhat ambiguous number of what we feel is efficient on offense and were talking about a loss of playing time? I havent always been all raw raw for SM but the kid came on strong and is trending up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    So hes half a percentage from meeting the somewhat ambiguous number of what we feel is efficient on offense and were talking about a loss of playing time? I havent always been all raw raw for SM but the kid came on strong and is trending up.
    huh? Loss of playing time?

    Hardly.

    He's trending up and playing solidly. A perfect man off the bench. I expect big things from Silas, as his shooting % is the only thing holding him back.

    After 2 seasons, sub-40% isn't good enough, neither is sub 35% from 3pt, esp the # of shots he takes given his playing time. The ratio isn't good. Yet.

    If he's going to be in the Top-5 for shot attempts, playing 25+ mins per game, in a Gonzaga-based offense, he's hitting record low #'s as a guard. No denying that; however, he has undeniable attributes, terrific talent, and Coaches seem to love him. All good things, save his shooting.

    How can he improve? Isn't a simple one? Off-season based or more about shot selection?

    What do you think a potential scout would say? That's the point. Silas has said himself, NBA is his goal.

    Nothing personal at all, if anything, quite the opposite. How can get better in the one area he needs work…my thoughts? I think he needs to allow the offense to come to him. His shots seemed rushed half the time -- out of sync -- not within the flow of the offense. He is fearless. Silas could pass the ball a bit more, as he averaged .8 apg last season. Less than 1 per game as a SG. I feel this would serve him well, instead of proving his PT, thus maybe more PT could be the key.

    Our team FG% is over 50%, our guards the last few years have had 3pt %'s better than 40%, so less than 40% FG is not where it needs to be is all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Silas was one of the competitors in the 3 point shoot contest during Kraziness. He couldn't hit a thing. However, it told me that the coaching staff sees him more often and believed in his ability.

    That carried over during the bulk of the season, with some game exceptions. However, someone with more time than I should compile his numbers over the last 3rd or so of the season. My sense is that he was better, but actual numbers don't lie.

    Also, keep in mind that EMac's long-distance percentage was suspect, until toward the end when he powered the team to a WCC title. It was a matter of confidence.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,007

    Default

    Your stats are a little misguided RTF. His total shooting percentage is only slightly lower than Kevin Pangos'. Kevin finished at 44%. But you have to break total shooting percentage into 2pt% and 3pt%. His current 2pt% is a little higher than Pangos. Also, over his last 13 games of last season his 2pt% shot up to 49% which is very good for a guard. I think he just needs to continue improving on the same trajectory he's currently on. You can't deny his talent. Like I said during the season it just takes some guys a little longer to figure things out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    huh, sorry, just thought these words:

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    After 2 seasons, his average FG% is 39.5%. His avg 3pt is 33%.
    These MUST improve for him to continue receiving serious PT and be taken serious on the court.
    didnt mean these words:

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    huh? Loss of playing time?
    Hardly.
    I think he will continue to be a topic of much discussion. Hopefully as "wow, compared to what he's doing now, do you remember how suspect he was at the beginning?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Blake Stepp shot .393 from the field and .356 from three during his sophomore year.

    And apparently he may have been cut?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,051

    Default

    Trending up. Keep the trend.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,240

    Default

    He barely even played year one. So I don't even wanna hear about the first "season" he probably wasn't expecting to play so he wasn't ready when he played his first 5-10 games. He had a couple ups and downs this year but you couldn't keep him on the bench long with his defense. As he progresses through next year he will get more PT and it will be earned. Nothing is handed to anyone at this university
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,874

    Default

    Someone wasnt watching the 2nd half of the season in which Silas gained confidence & began to light it up. Oh and he has been a knockdown defender & playing significant minutes (21.7 per game). As it stands, Silas is likely the starter at small forward next season.

    If Shem comes back & is healthy enough to play at the start of the season:

    Perkins, Williams-Goss, Melson, Williams, Karnowski

    If not...:

    Perkins, Williams-Goss, Melson, Williams, Collins

    Even if Melson & Collins get beat out of the starting position, both likely receive significant minutes (15+ each per game at the least, but probably 20+)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    16,933

    Default

    Smart post from Lee...
    Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Someone wasnt watching the 2nd half of the season in which Silas gained confidence & began to light it up. Oh and he has been a knockdown defender & playing significant minutes (21.7 per game). As it stands, Silas is likely the starter at small forward next season.

    If Shem comes back & is healthy enough to play at the start of the season:

    Perkins, Williams-Goss, Melson, Williams, Karnowski

    If not...:

    Perkins, Williams-Goss, Melson, Williams, Collins

    Even if Melson & Collins get beat out of the starting position, both likely receive significant minutes (15+ each per game at the least, but probably 20+)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Smart post from Lee...
    I agree, smart post and excellent points, yet clearly didn't read the above posts within thread.

    Everything Lee typed was flushed out and already mentioned above.

    someone wasnt watching the 2nd half of the season in which Silas gained confidence & began to light it up. Oh and he has been a knockdown defender & playing significant minutes (21.7 per game). As it stands, Silas is likely the starter at small forward next season.
    That was my point. Not sure about "didn't watch 2nd half", as I mentioned the exact same attributes.

    Please don't assume sentiment based on title or first sentences alone, otherwise, couldn't agree more…well said.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Your stats are a little misguided RTF. His total shooting percentage is only slightly lower than Kevin Pangos'. Kevin finished at 44%. But you have to break total shooting percentage into 2pt% and 3pt%. His current 2pt% is a little higher than Pangos. Also, over his last 13 games of last season his 2pt% shot up to 49% which is very good for a guard. I think he just needs to continue improving on the same trajectory he's currently on. You can't deny his talent. Like I said during the season it just takes some guys a little longer to figure things out.
    Agree w/ your thinking.
    Last 15 games, incl 6 postseason games, he shot 47% overall (2s and 3s), 41% from 3, 79% ft's. He did that after his half-season slump. Given the normal upward graph that goes w/ experience, I think this is a more probable predictor than his career stats. You never know, of course; GBJ slumped shooting the ball as a sr so anything can happen, incl injuries, but Silas' second half performance last season was impressive. I was one of his skeptics but no more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,851

    Default

    Water seeks its own level.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Agree w/ your thinking.
    Last 15 games, incl 6 postseason games, he shot 47% overall (2s and 3s), 41% from 3, 79% ft's. He did that after his half-season slump. Given the normal upward graph that goes w/ experience, I think this is a more probable predictor than his career stats. You never know, of course; GBJ slumped shooting the ball as a sr so anything can happen, incl injuries, but Silas' second half performance last season was impressive. I was one of his skeptics but no more.
    Hmmm….this sounds like a reasonable response the OP was seeking. Pretty straightforward to me.

    In terms of off-season posts, we don't get many so any team or player topic is worth discussing. Cannot understand how some can be so dismissive or full of predisposition this time of year.

    Stay open minded, not defensive. Read and react and share, not dismiss.

    We were fortunate to receive a commitment from Kispert, or else it would be a slow, boring wasteland around these parts until Summer scrimmages…

    The post above was a terrific response, yet still piling on a OP that was more curious than cunning.

    The regulars that check-in during the off-season can sometimes kill threads when unnecessary. This is only one small example of a silly trend.

    Message board. Don't forget that, before we anoint thy self.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Water seeks its own level.
    This.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Smart post from Lee...
    This.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,203

    Default

    I am expecting our starting guards to be Goss and Josh, much more often than Melson and Josh, esp. by Thanksgiving when the loyalty factor to Melson's seniority at GU gives way to overall effectiveness

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Water seeks its own level.
    Decrease the pressure and it boils.

    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Spokane
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Water seeks its own level.
    Keep fill'n that cup up, it's now quite half full

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Agree w/ your thinking.
    Last 15 games, incl 6 postseason games, he shot 47% overall (2s and 3s), 41% from 3, 79% ft's. He did that after his half-season slump. Given the normal upward graph that goes w/ experience, I think this is a more probable predictor than his career stats. You never know, of course; GBJ slumped shooting the ball as a sr so anything can happen, incl injuries, but Silas' second half performance last season was impressive. I was one of his skeptics but no more.
    Great post! I couldn't agree more.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    Be curious to see what his FG% was later in the season as opposed to the beginning. If those are his numbers for the entire year, his early season was dismal, which means his numbers at the end of the year are better.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Be curious to see what his FG% was later in the season as opposed to the beginning. If those are his numbers for the entire year, his early season was dismal, which means his numbers at the end of the year are better.
    First 21 games, 33/110 overall fg, 11/47 on 3/s; 30% and 23% respectively. Last 15 games see post above.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,874

    Default

    Some different splits for Melson's sophomore year



    Games 1-6 were fine. Games 22-31 were fire. Games 7-21 were troublesome.

    Regressed a bit at the end (games 32-36) on neutral courts against tougher competition: BYU, Saint Mary's, Utah, & Syracuse

    But then again, he performed well in the season against UConn, @Wazzu, Pepperdine 2x, @SMU, @BYU

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,816

    Default

    thanks for all the numbers in this thread. not arguing for or against Silas starting or not, others will decide of course, but did want to note that Silas off the bench last year upped the D tempo and became a weapon as he often drew the top backcourt assignment when on the floor and often came up roses, battler on the boards too. not surprisingly he seemed to shoot better when he made his first shot off the bench but his D was consistently pretty darn impactful. down the stretch I thought he played tougher and tougher like the team did basically. will he see the ball more next year maybe with Domas and KW gone but the new blood now included? how will the offense change to accommodate the players for next year's team including him? what fun new pieces to his game is he working on this summer, what rough edges is he working on smoothing out? how well will he succeed at that? I don't know but should be fun to watch and I hope Silas believes he can compete and earn it. I don't know him of course but watching his maturation last season was fun and fruitful and I'm looking forward to seeing and rooting for next year's Silas Melson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •