Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would Gonzaga really ever leave the WCC for the MWC?

I don't football being a huge thing to contend with, with regard to Gonzaga going to a conference like the Mountain West. What I do see, as I have said before...is that Gonzaga will come and dominate the conference (for the most part), and then certain programs at the bottom will cease to be relevant because: 1. Football will be the main focus with regard to money 2. Gonzaga will once again be a huge financial stimulus, and those bottom feeders will just be "happy to be there" with that and my previous point in the mix.

Another point to consider: what if more than Gonzaga went? Let's say it was BYU, Gonzaga, and SMC somehow? Or perhaps just BYU and Gonzag? You just made it increasingly more difficult for those teams at the bottom to recruit conference-worthy talent. Or changed the way in which conference worthy talent is viewed. My biggest thing about a conference change is not just the overall RPI, but how does the lower half of the league respond to these potential situations.

It wouldn't take that much to see the MWC conference become a 2 bid conference. And that is something we can get here. Just doesn't make enough sense to move. You're hoping for range bound performances with some breaks. That's not the conference, ultimately, that Gonzaga wants to be a part of.

Looks like Wichita State is actively campaigning to leave the Missouri Valley and join the Mountain West Conference. They are also making their intentions known to media.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-back-football

Not sure the Mountain West Conference is interested in taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The difference?

There has been "more" than internet board speculation vis a vis an eventual expanded Big East (2 or perhaps 3 division). And .... there's an actual network (Fox Sports) looking to create more "national" hoops coverage with their Big East contract.

But in a sense you are very correct. It's "off-season" banter for now.
    As I'm sure you already know GZ, Women's Volleyball along with MBB and WBB are the only sports that have home and home every year. Some of the other sports play @home one year and then the next year play away from home. Some of the other sports do nothing but play tournaments. I think travel expenses wouldn't be much of an obstacle and possibly be a net gain if the Zags went to the Big East.

So does that mean that you guys are finally gonna get off of your collective butts and replace your high school gym?
    Quote Originally Posted by MJGoGaels View Post
    You want to play Big East and MWC colleges (or better) - play them in the OOC portion of the schedule - then you get to pick and choose who and where. And, if BYU leaves, don't replace the slot - keep at 9 and gives you two more OOC games to schedule and create the perfect OOC schedule for the program's goals and aspirations within its economic reality.

I liked Few's challenge to the other members of the WCC to invest more into the programs (and Facilities). With the recent turnover in head coaches, it's going take 2-3 years to see if they can change the culture at the each of the bottom 5 campuses. It is a very tough climb out of the cellar.

In the future can we have an index for this repeating thread that gets pulled out and reviewed over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by MJGoGaels View Post
    In the future can we have an index for this repeating thread that gets pulled out and reviewed over and over again.
    No.

Some things - regardless of how annoying, just become fixtures, traditions, the annoyance itself becomes part of the charm, seemingly.

Go to the Mac someday, the South corner will always have roast beef and carved turkey sandwiches, the north will always have just turkey. The line on the south is thus always at least twice as long. One would think the solution is obvious, similar to your suggestion. Unfortunately, it's the obliviousness to the obvious that becomes endearing, seemingly.

Or something.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    No.

Or something.
    Like tacos.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Like tacos.
    Exactly. Another perfect example. Or another one, one that I started a couple years ago that was, like, the 8th summer-time thread on "Expanding the Mac".
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The question was
    Would Gonzaga really ever leave the WCC for the MWC?
    The answer probably lies here, they would never be invited. That's an extrapolation from the the following article

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain't going to be us."

One source told CBS Sports it's a simple case of economics. The league would be splitting its media rights revenue 12 ways instead of 11 in basketball if it added the Shockers.

One MWC source considered it unlikely that Mountain West's media rights holders (ESPN, CBS Sports Network) would renegotiate their current contracts to include additional revenue for a 12th basketball school.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The question was

The answer probably lies here, they would never be invited. That's an extrapolation from the the following article
    Without knowing all the details, that seems shortsighted to me. The MWC isn't what it use to be and Wichita State has a very good program that seems to have legs. I know they lose a lot this year, but I do expect them to still be a top 25 team in the future.

Invite Wichita State and Creighton into the WCC...

N. Div Gonzaga, Portland, BYU, SCU, Pacific and SMC....
    S. Div. LMU ,Pepperdine, USD, USF, WSU and Creighton..

Play own div 2 games home and home, play 1 game and alternate home and home every year with opposite div...16 league games...opens up two more games in the OOC portion...

The WCC just got a whole lot better...

Just dreaming....

Go!! Zags!!!

IF Wichita State, Creighton, BYU, (and possibly SMC) were joining Gonzaga in the MWC...now I might be listening. But even still, I would be more comfortable if it were a consolidation move that results in one bigger move to follow, in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    IF Wichita State, Creighton, BYU, (and possibly SMC) were joining Gonzaga in the MWC...now I might be listening. But even still, I would be more comfortable if it were a consolidation move that results in one bigger move to follow, in the future.
    Ditto. That would be more of an upgrade at that point.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Invite Wichita State and Creighton into the WCC...

N. Div Gonzaga, Portland, BYU, SCU, Pacific and SMC....
    S. Div. LMU ,Pepperdine, USD, USF, WSU and Creighton..

Play own div 2 games home and home, play 1 game and alternate home and home every year with opposite div...16 league games...opens up two more games in the OOC portion...

The WCC just got a whole lot better...

Just dreaming....

Go!! Zags!!!
    Only problem is WS isn't a religious institution. That is part of the WCC identity... but I like the idea.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The Mountain West is a darn good place to ski....that is about all it has to offer...I have been to Malibu and I have been to Laramie , I haven't been back to Laramie..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The Mountain West is a darn good place to ski....that is about all it has to offer...I have been to Malibu and I have been to Laramie , I haven't been back to Laramie..
    This.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Only problem is WS isn't a religious institution. That is part of the WCC identity... but I like the idea.
    So your saying basketball isn't a religion?

Go!! Zags!!!

The question was: Would Gonzaga really ever leave the WCC for the MWC?

"Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain't going to be us."

One source told CBS Sports it's a simple case of economics. The league would be splitting its media rights revenue 12 ways instead of 11 in basketball if it added the Shockers.

One MWC source considered it unlikely that Mountain West's media rights holders (ESPN, CBS Sports Network) would renegotiate their current contracts to include additional revenue for a 12th basketball school."

I can agree regarding the splitting of funds amongst 11 teams compared to adding a "new school" making it 12 schools, splitting monies originally designed for 11. HOWEVER, I do believe it could be considered once the current contract expired, because then there would be more money added to the ### to compensate for the 12th team. Also, with the NCAA ruling that conferences do not have to have 12 conference schools to have a play-off game, why would the MWC expand - unless BYU returned...JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    SO you're saying that our ski team should join the MWC? You get props for most creative non sequitor. lol

Follow the money: If it made financial sense for Gonzaga to leave the WCC for the MWC, they would do it in a heartbeat. Looking at television revenue distribution to MWC member schools, I'm not sure Gonzaga would fare that much better than they are now. (In any event, I think it would be a very hard sell to other MWC schools to agree to share any football revenue.)

Also I wouldn't get too hung-up on the WCC religious affiliation angle -- I think it's increasingly a fiction. USF's student body is 29% catholic; other catholic schools in the conference, including gonzaga, have student bodies that are only about 50% catholic and dropping. The percentage of catholics among faculties is far lower. UOP started out with a religious affiliation that became essentially lost over time, and it's now easy for me to see the same progression among the catholic schools in the conference. Humanism first is introduced to a school mission statement, it soon becomes coequal to spirituality, then eventually supplants it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    Follow the money: If it made financial sense for Gonzaga to leave the WCC for the MWC, they would do it in a heartbeat.
    I don't agree with this.

I don't think the bottom line isn't the determining factor (it is a factor), but the school doesn't make money the very first priority in any one thing they do. It's mission is and always will be its first priority.

It would have to depend on a combination of considerations, inability to work with the WCC admins, further refusal of the WCC members to become a real Division one league, availability of another Catholic school option (Big East before MWC) and difficulty on the students traveling, especially non-private jet travel students.
    Mark Twain.