Thread: No Olympics for Vandersloot

Default No Olympics for Vandersloot

Has Geno coached the Olympic team before?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Has Geno coached the Olympic team before?
    No he has not. He has been an assistant Olympic coach a while ago and he has coached the national team the last couple (?) of years in between the Olympics.

Roster is not unexpected. I did not think CV had much of a chance. CV is a true point guard with running the offense and dishing the ball and looking to score only as required. She puts up big numbers for assists and assist to turnover ratio but her scoring numbers are not near as high as others. The Olympic team does not get much time to practice together, thus there is little time to establish that game day relationship a point needs to have with here team. Familiarity breeds execution. With limited practice time, CV's best assets are not allowed to develop.

Personally, I have a hard time putting somebody like Sue Bird who is 35 and hurt most of last year back on the team. 9 of the 12 players already have gold medals. Why should the older (experienced) players continue get the chance to represent the country numerous times while younger and perhaps better players are left at home. I would like to see some regulation that states if you have a couple of gold medals you are done and we use other players to represent the country.

I know the players are supposed to represent the best "team" we can put together but if you think politics does not have a play in this you have your head in the sand. Diana Taurasi did not even play in the WNBA last year (her Russian team payed her to sit), Sue Bird was hurt much of last year. Breanna Stewart, incredible as she is has not yet played a WNBA game. Yet these players are on a team to represent our country. Oh and I forgot, there are five (5) UConn players out of the 12 on the team.

O'K rant over,

ZagDad

Whalen is even more washed up than Bird. Catchings is older than dirt (by Olympic basketball standards). At least half (maybe more like 2/3) of the team won't be there for the following Olympics. Players like Moore, Delle Donne and Stewart are a good foundation going forward for international competition, but it's too bad there are no young guards being groomed at this point.

I agree with the Zagdad......I still morn for the loss of an amateur team in the Olympics....it just doesn't have the same excitement when you put pros in there......its all about who scratches who's back....sports has become very politically correct....I guess it could be argued who would want to go to Brazil these days?...Zika and all....

well, we did get Elle back...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I agree with the Zagdad.........
    Quick, somebody check to see if the sky is falling. Sylean agrees with Me.

ZagDAd

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Quick, somebody check to see if the sky is falling. Sylean agrees with Me.

ZagDAd
    Now that you mention it...there was a big chunk of blue...... something...... in the far corner of the parking lot at Walgreens when I stopped there after work today. Now I understand.

Well everybody else sends their pros to the Olympics too. That shipped sailed a long time ago. The Australian team has been loaded some years, although no more Lauren Jackson for them.

As far as too many UConn players...well they do produce a disproportionate amount of the best players. Geno is hypercompetitive. He's not gonna take a bunch of his former players just to placate egos if he doesn't think they can help him win. Also I don't think the coach is exclusively responsible for selecting the roster, I believe there is a committee.

Yeah SeaCatfan is right. Even when the US sent amateur teams, the soviet block sent their professional teams as amateurs. It finally became clear that the definition of amateur athlete in the West was far different than the "amateur" athlete in the soviet block countries. If you want to win, you have to send your best athletes. Thus, the Olympics do not really feature any "amateur" athletes anymore.

I think I heard an interview with Geno, that he was glad he did not have any say in the selection of the team. That the committee that was selecting the team had a very difficult choice and he was happy just to have to coach the team. And if you think Lord Geno did not have any say in who got selected, I have a piece of property for sale for you to buy. Why yes it is in Florida, right on the beach.

I won't argue that UConn has put out a disproportionate number of excellent players. Heck the first three selections in this year's WNBA draft were all UConn players. But to have over 40% of the entire team from UConn is a little absurd. There is a number of players who have played better than Bird or Whalen in the last year. These players are living on past exploits and name recognition. By selecting players to their 3rd and 4th Olympic team you are denying some very deserving players of a chance to represent our country. The team USA going to Rio is not the "best" team available in my IMO but it will be good enough to win the gold medal.

ZagDad

If you want another potential conspiracy point, note that the head coach of the WNBA Minnesota Lynx, Cheryl Reeve is an assistant to Geno on the USA Olympic team.

Mysteriously, there are four (4) current members of the Minnesota Lynx on the 12 member team USA roster.

ZagDad

Hmm...interesting with all the Lynx players. I don't have a problem with either Fowles or Moore being on the team. We agree Whalen shouldn't be there. It seems like Augustus' best days are behind her too. It's interesting that Candace Parker wasn't selected. They do have plenty of bigs though. Griner is another younger player that should be part of the core moving forward. There are a bunch of grizzled veterans, but a bit of new blood. The real glaring issue is that at least one younger guard SHOULD have been selected. At least one of Sloot, Diggins or Sims. Bird and Whalen both have to be done after this Olympics, then you're going have a bunch of candidates to replace them that are relatively inexperienced in international competition.

Also kind of surprising neither of the Ogwumikes made the cut. They are both fantastic players.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Hmm...interesting with all the Lynx players. I don't have a problem with either Fowles or Moore being on the team. We agree Whalen shouldn't be there. It seems like Augustus' best days are behind her too. It's interesting that Candace Parker wasn't selected. They do have plenty of bigs though. Griner is another younger player that should be part of the core moving forward. There are a bunch of grizzled veterans, but a bit of new blood. The real glaring issue is that at least one younger guard SHOULD have been selected. At least one of Sloot, Diggins or Sims. Bird and Whalen both have to be done after this Olympics, then you're going have a bunch of candidates to replace them that are relatively inexperienced in international competition.
    Here is an interesting article (and video) written by ESPN's WNBA beat writer (Mechelle Voepel). It primarily deals with leaving Candice Parker off the USA team (the only one of the ten returning Olympians not put back on the Olympic team) but it also points out the lack of including a young point guard on the team. The point guards she mentions include Diggins, Courtney and Briann January any one of which would have been better selections than Bird and Whalen.

The article also includes the reasons you will not see any of the players left off the team complaining about it.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/arti...candace-parker

ZagDad

So true on the politics ZagDad.... Sad to say but that is the whole deal these days. I felt Courtney was good enough, she does see the floor as well as anyone else. I felt CV didn't have a chance because of the politics. As you pointed out, why would anyone place some of those players who are basically "done" on the Olympic team.SMH

Must be a rigged system, maybe Donald could fix it.

Saw Bird and Sloot on the court when the Storm and Sky played last year in Seattle... Bird is still a very good player, but limited due to physical problems. Scoot was outstanding, leading the Sky like she use to lead the Zags. Players enjoy playing with floor leaders like Scoot... they end up getting the ball when they have a shot. I would think with the European experience that Scoot has, she would have done very well on the US Olympic team. I hope she is at least on the reserve list in case there is a problem with either one of the PG's.
    I would think the committee had a hard time dealing with politics... leaving a lot of talent off the team