• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdog71
    Bulldog Fan
    • Apr 2007

Retiring player jerseys

Fans are always looking for topics during the off-season. One subject which hasn't been discussed for a very long time is retiring player jerseys.

John Stockton (#12) and Frank Burgess (#44) are the only players to have jerseys hanging at McCarthy. Why aren't there more?

Does the university and/or the athletic department have criteria for selection? Who decides; who should decide? Some schools give this honor soon after a player is finished with the program. Seems like SMC does this.

Should recognition be based solely on GU court performance? Plus academics? Personal and post-GU career achievement? All American status (first, second or third team selection, honorable mention)? Need to stay all four years? Can a transfer be considered? How many years should pass until someone is eligible?

People have discussed Jeff Brown, Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison, and Dan Dickau along with others.

I would be very interested to read the thoughts of the GU Board.
  • Zagnificent
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2010

Interesting thought. Morrison would be the next logical retiree. National player is the year is a pretty big deal. If Sabonis had stayed another year or two, he'd be up there as well. I like keeping it exclusive. Olynyk is another who is near the top of the list. All American, also academic AA IIRC. Took the team to its first #1 seed.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Jerry Vermillion!
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

All Americans............and one insane rebounder........DD, Morrison and Vermillion.....great place to start. These are the easy choices.

Comment

• exclusivelee
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

Jerry Krause was honored last year with his retirement. Jersey #1 was retired:

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2012

I know a lot of programs require players to get their diploma to have their number retired but both Morrison and Olynyk fit that criteria as well. It's the reason Curry's number won't be retired at Davidson unless he comes back to finish his degree.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

The 99ers would have to be repped, maybe as a unit, then DD and Ammo of course, then KO. Keep the standards high.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

If we could only have one, it has to be Burgess, the performance combined with story.

Would seem to be no point in retiring any if Stockton's wasn't - and yet he wasn't the best college player we've had, at least not recognized nationally.

And beyond those two, I can't think of an obvious one if graduation is part of the equation. Because Dickau, Santangelo, Pangos, Calvery, Turiaf, - very hard to differentiate.

My vote for next would be Turiaf, has the play (IMO), the degree and the longevity/loyalty/ultimate Zag feel.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                  If we could only have one, it has to be Burgess, the performance combined with story.

Would seem to be no point in retiring any if Stockton's wasn't - and yet he wasn't the best college player we've had, at least not recognized nationally.

And beyond those two, I can't think of an obvious one if graduation is part of the equation. Because Dickau, Santangelo, Pangos, Calvery, Turiaf, - very hard to differentiate.

My vote for next would be Turiaf, has the play (IMO), the degree and the longevity/loyalty/ultimate Zag feel.
                  Pangos? Really?

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Pangos? Really?
                    Ya.. his criteria must be 4 year players, but if you put Pangos in and Morrison, who was National Player of the Year, doesnt make it, something wrong there.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2011

Turiaf would have my vote as would Ammo. Jerry Vermilion possibly given his insane rebound totals. There should be a minimum waiting period after leaving Gonzaga (10 years at least) before being eligible for jersey retirement as that adds to the prominence of being selected. Personally, I have reservations about retiring Dickau's jersey given he only played here for 2 seasons (although they were great seasons!).

Whoops! Frank Burgess is a lead pipe cinch for jersey retirement.
                      Last edited by ProVeeZag; 04-24-2016, 09:03 PM. Reason: Added Burgess to my list
                      "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                      —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Zag 77
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Need to be a Federal Judge or an NBA HOF

Burgess was a United States Federal District Court Judge. John Stockton is a member of the NBA Hall of Fame. Assuming Ronny, Adam and Rob Sacre are not going to go to the NBA Hall of Fame, then maybe they can follow Burgess' example. They can enroll in law school and seek a federal judgeship in 20 years. Sacre and Ronny would have to become US citizens along the way. Of course, if Ronny, Adam or Sacre were elected to the US Senate or became State Governor, that would be good too. If Rob Sacre became Prime Minister of Canada, that would get him in, I think.

Unfortunately for everybody else, Burgess and Stockton have set the bar pretty darned high.

On the Womens' side, Vandersloot could do it, but I would think she needs an Olympic Gold Medal on her resume to get serious consideration.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                          Burgess was a United States Federal District Court Judge. John Stockton is a member of the NBA Hall of Fame. Assuming Ronny, Adam and Rob Sacre are not going to go to the NBA Hall of Fame, then maybe they can follow Burgess' example. They can enroll in law school and seek a federal judgeship in 20 years. Sacre and Ronny would have to become US citizens along the way. Of course, if Ronny, Adam or Sacre were elected to the US Senate or became State Governor, that would be good too. If Rob Sacre became Prime Minister of Canada, that would get him in, I think.

Unfortunately for everybody else, Burgess and Stockton have set the bar pretty darned high.

On the Womens' side, Vandersloot could do it, but I would think she needs an Olympic Gold Medal on her resume to get serious consideration.
                          Really???

Only person in NCAA history with 2,000 points and 1,000 assists is not good enough to retire her jersey?

Exactly what is your criteria for retiring a jersey? Hall of Fame in the NBA (or WNBA), championship titles, gold medals? In all honesty, do you retire the jersey for what they did while in the university or what they did after their collegiate ball or both? Stockton was good in collegiate but nothing spectacular. He made his mark in the NBA. Yes he has a gold medal that he did little to earn as he was injured. Ronny, Rob, Kelly, and even Daye were very good players at GU but did not stand out (stat wise) in college. In the NBA Daye was serviceable, Ronny was a great teammate, good person off the bench, never made an NBA All-Star team, has no rings. Rob has earned a good living riding the pine in L.A. and playing as a back-up. Morrison, won the scoring title while in college, and has a ring that he did nothing to earn. Amazing that they want you to play defense in the NBA.

At least in Vandersloot, you have someone who has done something nobody else in college BB has done, she has made the NBA All-Star team and has started and continues to start for the Chicago Sky and arguably was the best point guard in the WNBA last year and she has helped her team make the WNBA final. Not to bad for only 5 years in the league. I don't see any men mentioned above that have anywhere near as good a resume as Sloot.

ZagDad

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

She'd qualify......superior player and person with awards galore to show she's a good candidate

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              Pangos? Really?
                              Led them to first No. 1 ranking, No. 1 seed, back to the E8, all time 3 pt leader, 4 year starter, ... it would take a couple decades of looking back. It's not that absurd a thought.

Besides, Turiaf has my vote. First real NBA prospect in the "modern" era, came halfway across the world to become the ultimate Zag, had a heart so big they had to open him up to tie it down, and came back to still be playing in the NBA, is loved wherever he goes, still keeps in close touch...dunno, a lot gets thrown out when Burgess and Stockton set the standard.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X