Thread: wnba draft

Default wnba draft

Shelby not drafted in the first three rounds....don't know how many rounds there are....the likes of Jamie Weisner and Lexi the cheap shot Ridalch got drafted and so did Osu's Ruth Gamlin....Lia Gialdeira who played at WSU but left early was drafted @19...

Ruth G is big but I never thought she was particularly skilled.....Lexi will get eaten alive and maybe even punched out if she continues her cheap shots.....

of course just because you get drafted doesn't mean you're going to be signed to play.....

wnba is a different animal and emphasizes IMO rough play, less skill and finesse....just because you don't make the WNBA does not diminish a great college career....

Great College career but not a real shock. I love Shelby but IMO turnovers, toughness and the ability to consistently finish hurt her chance at the WNBA. Fortunately there could be European destination where her height will overcome those deficits.

It is also a stretch to call the WNBA a career anyway. Good life experience but there is more money for the majority of players if they utilise the education they worked for in College. I think the average salary is in the Mid 70ks with a minimum of high 30ks and max of 107k. Many players need to play year round to make a go of it and if that is the life you choose to have that is good. Maya Moore talks of the "drop" in everything from college to the WNBA.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    Shelby not drafted in the first three rounds..Shelby was never going to be drafted. She may be invited to a training camp but being drafted was never going to happen. Most likely she will find a place to play in Europe, Middle East or Australia. ..don't know how many rounds there are....the likes of Jamie Weisner and Lexi the cheap shot Ridalch got drafted and so did Osu's Ruth Gamlin..You mean "Hamblin"..Lia Gialdeira who played at WSU but left early was drafted @19...

Ruth G is big but I never thought she was particularly skilled...She does not appear to be that athletic, but she is better defensively and offensively than Shelby and she is slightly taller. ..Lexi will get eaten alive and maybe even punched out if she continues her cheap shots..I think she plays hard, not necessarily dirty. Lexi's problem is that she is not that big or fast. If she hits a large percentage of her 3's she may hang on with a team, but otherwise it will be overseas as well. ...

of course just because you get drafted doesn't mean you're going to be signed to play..All it gives you is a chance to go to camp. Many times a player who is not drafted can pick their team and then sign a short term, free agent contract. Picking your team may give players on the bubble the best chance and making the WNBA. ...

wnba is a different animal and emphasizes IMO rough play, less skill and finesse.Totally disagree. Just like moving up to D-1 from high school, the players are bigger, faster and stronger. You are playing against a team of all stars every game. If you are not one of the best, you won't be on the team...just because you don't make the WNBA does not diminish a great college career.WNBA does not have anything to do with your collegiate career. Look at Adam Morrison, one of the best pure shooters of all time in collegiate BB had a short and uneventful NBA career. One trick ponies rarely stick around in any professional league ...
    I agree with Ladyzaga on the financial aspects of the WNBA. However, many teams in Europe pay considerably more than the WNBA. Rumor has it that Diana Taurasi was paid $1,000,000 last year by her Russian Team to "NOT" play in the WNBA. The girls can make a very good living playing basketball, they just can't make that living playing solely in the WNBA.

ZagDad

I certainly do enjoy having my entire postings dissected like a frog......

KG always always talked about how Shelby was going to be at the top as far as her basketball career....his words...."I wish I had their future"..(Shelby and Keani).

"Shelby was never going to be drafted":....pray tell how you know this?.....her resume of huge rebounding capacity and her durability and being 6'5 if nothing else should have gotten her many looks....Lisa said the agents were all over her in Indianapolis, wanting to sign her....so I don't know how you "know" this......

I think Shel needed to work on her short layups...I do not understand why that was not a big emphasize....she showed brilliance at times this year.( especially against byu) but also missed several possible game winning layups when we played in the WCC championship.....I think she'll land on her feet, maybe even in the wnba......but the happy thing for all these young women who want BB as a career, there are lots and lots of places to play and get paid.....Australia would be great for Shelby since Kelli and Kayla and now possibly Shaniqua and Georgia going there...

Ruth H is bigger, but also stronger and wider than Shel.. but I don't think she'll be making any big splashes in the wnba... to me she plays intimidated ...lexi might make it but I don't think she'll last too long....same with Weisner...back to dear Lexi...did you see how she shoved Shaq to the floor when they played here?....or her shove of Emma to the floor?...did you see her do a forward flop toward the end of the game to try to get a foul call on a 3 point miss? ...there is a reason that Shaq and her went at each other over the years....what you call "playing hard" to me is no more than playing dirty, but getting away with it....

Galdiera might be tough enough to be in there....she is pretty gritty...

as far as the wnba, if it weren't for a certain local flare ( sloot, January etc) plus Elena in Chicago I don't think its very watchable...most of the viewing public agree...this year the NBA had record attendance and watching and I think its because of Curry and Thompson being such accurate shooters...fun to watch....perhaps the days of bashing your way to the basket are over for good..

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I certainly do enjoy having my entire postings dissected like a frog..I am glad you appreciate it....

KG always always talked about how Shelby was going to be at the top as far as her basketball career....his words...."I wish I had their future"..(Shelby and Keani).

"Shelby was never going to be drafted":....pray tell how you know this?.Law of numbers. Only 36 people get drafted. If you take the best person at each position in the power 5 conferences, that is 25 players leaving only 11 draft picks for the the number 2's &3's in the Power 5 conferences and all the mid-major conferences. When you don't make the all 1st team or 2nd team all conference in the 8th-rated conference, your draft day stock is not looking good.....her resume of huge rebounding capacity and her durability and being 6'5 6'-5 in the WNBA is nothing. Breanna Stewart is 6'-4 but she has a longer wingspan than Lebron. Jillian Alleyne from UO at 6'-3" would absolutely dominate Shelby. She is too fast and too physical for Shelby to guard and she has much better skillsets. 6'-5" is big news in the WCC, not so much in the WNBA and in the WNBA you have lots of options. 6'-7 and up is big news in the WNBA, but 6'-5" is common place if nothing else should have gotten her many looks....Lisa said the agents were all over her in Indianapolis, wanting to sign her.sign her, yes, draft her, no. ...so I don't know how you "know" this...If Sunny did not get a look, why do you think Shelby will?...

I think Shel needed to work on her short layups.Let's be honest, she needs to work on her entire offensive game...I do not understand why that was not a big emphasize....she showed brilliance She played well, maybe very well on occasion this year, but brilliant is not a word I would choose.at times this year.( especially against byuWho's tallest player is 6'-2") but also missed several possible game winning layups when we played in the WCC championship.....I think she'll land on her feet, maybe even in the wnba......but the happy thing for all these young women who want BB as a career, there are lots and lots of places to play and get paid..Absolutely. I never said whe would not play at the next level, I simply said she would never get drafted. I did not say signed by a team either in the WNBA or overseas...Australia would be great for Shelby since Kelli and Kayla and now possibly Shaniqua and Georgia going there...

Ruth H is bigger, but also stronger and wider than Shel. also add more consistent both on the defensive and offensive sides of the ball. but I don't think she'll be making any big splashes in the wnba.I agree. She simply is not athletic enough to make a big splash. She likely will be a very capable back-up on some team. Shelby could be in the same boat. She at least played comparable to Hamblin and she outplayed BYU's Hamson (6'-7") but Shelby does not do that every week... to me she plays intimidated ...lexi might make it but I don't think she'll last too long....same with Weisner...back to dear Lexi...did you see how she shoved Shaq to the floor when they played here?.No, I don't recall those particular instances, but I will say that Shaq gives as good as she gets. She did not come out the loser in any squabble...or her shove of Emma to the floor?...did you see her do a forward flop Now flops I will agree with. BYU must train both the men and women to flop.toward the end of the game to try to get a foul call on a 3 point miss? ...there is a reason that Shaq and her went at each other over the years....what you call "playing hard" to me is no more than playing dirty, but getting away with it..The best teams play to the limit the officials will allow. If it is being called, you need to back off. If they let them play, you need to play tougher. ..

Galdiera might be tough enough to be in there....she is pretty gritty.I agree. Once again her problem was consistency...

as far as the wnba, if it weren't for a certain local flare ( sloot, January etc) plus Elena in Chicago I don't think its very watchable...most of the viewing public agree...this year the NBA had record attendance and watching and I think its because of Curry and Thompson being such accurate shooters...fun to watch....perhaps the days of bashing your way to the basket are over for good.You mean you did not like the late 80's Pistons - The Bad Boys of the NBA. You are correct. Most sports are making changes to the rules to permit more offensive scoring whether it is tying the hands of the defense (NBA/NFL), moving the fences in the MLB ballparks, etc. People want action and while many of us appreciate a good defensive struggle, in general, the offense is what the public wants to see. .
    Drafting is not a pure science, but you can count on the numbers. The WNBA has 12 teams with 14-15 players each so 168 to 180 total players. If and this is a big if, you turn over 20% of each team's roster due to retirements, injuries, better players, etc., this allows 32-36 open spots on the WNBA rosters. There is something like 362 D-1 teams playing basketball with rosters of 15 players so say 5,430 D-1 players. This does not even figure in the overseas players or the players who did not make the WNBA the previous years. Odds are not good that you will be one of the lucky 36 drafted. Even if you are drafted the odds of making and staying with an WNBA team is not good.

My comment on Shelby never being drafted was based on 36 draft picks of which she is no where near the top 36 college players in America. This is not meant as any disrespect to Shelby, She is a very fine player with a unique skill set, but her skill set does not warrant one of the 36 draft spots.

ZagDad

ZagDad,

Looks like you did a double frog dissection on Syleans post. Reminds of the time in high school Biology where a dissected frog ended up in a Burrito wrapper in the school cafeteria

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    ZagDad,

Looks like you did a double frog dissection on Syleans post. Reminds of the time in high school Biology where a dissected frog ended up in a Burrito wrapper in the school cafeteria
    To me, frog legs taste like chicken.

ZagDad

Just MY thoughts on the WNBA and SC...

I have seen over the years that the way that a ball player processes their thoughts... makes the player that they are. On one side I call the thinker to the other side that I call the reacter. Examples would be SC who is a thinker to ZR who is a reacter to the middle (a blend of both) ET. On an offensive board the thinker gets the rebound, brings the ball down and thinks about how to put it back up. The reacter puts the ball back up before her feet hit the ground. The middle will bring it down but will put it back up thinking and reacting. Both sides can be coached to the middle. Thinkers need to keep working reps to get past the thoughts and reacters need to work on control, again on reps.

I have been over to watch CV and the Sky play the Storm. What I observed was more reacters than thinkers... the game is much faster than SC (right now). Doesn't mean she can't get there, but it will take alot more reps. The game under the basket is at the ZR quickness. The WNBA is also full on shooters... if you aren't a good scorer, time to join the work force.

Good luck to Shelby... she is a great person with a great future.

Go Zags!!!