Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DS in the draft

Default DS in mock drafts

Time to revisit the mock drafts. Seems like all but one has DS in the 18-20 range. The outlier, NBA Draft Net, has him, stunningly, at 5.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/01/nba...-dragan-bender

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 04-03-2016 at 08:43 AM.

DraftX usually has the most cred BUT assuming Domas "tests the waters" he could be one of the big stock risers. One quick took at a few of the bigs ahead of him and if I were Mr. S I would be salivating! lol

This draft isn't that great when Wade Baldwin checks in at #16 (despite good measurements of course). Even though Wade plays a different position than Domas they are opposites in every way when it comes to the intangibles like heart, guts and work ethic. Sabonis should be a clear lottery pick and would prove it at the combine. It doesn't matter though. If he wants to enjoy another year at Gonzaga he should! Why not be a kid for another year if money is not that important?

I know very little about the NBA or the draft, but 18-20 is surprisingly low to me, based primarily upon Kelly being taken ahead of that. Though everyone loved Kelly, I am not sure he had the potential that Domas has. Of course, Kelly had the outside game, so maybe Domas stays to develop that...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I know very little about the NBA or the draft, but 18-20 is surprisingly low to me, based primarily upon Kelly being taken ahead of that. Though everyone loved Kelly, I am not sure he had the potential that Domas has. Of course, Kelly had the outside game, so maybe Domas stays to develop that...
    Domas is such an incredibly intelligent kid that graduating in 3 years could have been an option right? It just so happens he commits his summers to international play. I have accepted the fact that IF he was any other player....coming from a more typical family...he would be LONG GONE into the draft. He is in such a unique family situation that he has the freedom to really evaluate some quality of life issues vs. pure money issues. Either way he can't go wrong in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
    DraftX usually has the most cred BUT assuming Domas "tests the waters" he could be one of the big stock risers. One quick took at a few of the bigs ahead of him and if I were Mr. S I would be salivating! lol

This draft isn't that great when Wade Baldwin checks in at #16 (despite good measurements of course). Even though Wade plays a different position than Domas they are opposites in every way when it comes to the intangibles like heart, guts and work ethic. Sabonis should be a clear lottery pick and would prove it at the combine. It doesn't matter though. If he wants to enjoy another year at Gonzaga he should! Why not be a kid for another year if money is not that important?
    The real concern is injury. See Karno...

I understand to a certain degree the whole insurance policy dealio but I'm not sure exactly how they work if you are injured during your Junior year (ACL) and then return for your Senior year...and then get drafted lower than you would have if you left after your Soph year. If he returns with Karno I do think we go undefeated at least up to the Final4. Then who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
    The real concern is injury. See Karno...

I understand to a certain degree the whole insurance policy dealio but I'm not sure exactly how they work if you are injured during your Junior year (ACL) and then return for your Senior year...and then get drafted lower than you would have if you left after your Soph year. If he returns with Karno I do think we go undefeated at least up to the Final4. Then who knows....
    Norelans Noel from Kentucky turned out just fine with 6ers after he tore his ACL I believe in SEC tourney
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Kelly was a beneficiary of an extremely weak draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Norelans Noel from Kentucky turned out just fine with 6ers after he tore his ACL I believe in SEC tourney

That's a great example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sliding from #1 to #6 is not that bad at all like Noel did. Hard to know if he would be the exception to the norm though? The guy blocked 12 shots in a college game. Still a good example!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, Ek
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Slightly misleading title. I thought it meant that he had declared.
    As for where he goes if he does come out, I've been saying all year that the lottery is a stretch. He might yet make it though. Skill and hustle should count for something. But the NBA loves length (wingspan) and athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    No kidding... 1st pick - Anthony Bennett...

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    No kidding... 1st pick - Anthony Bennett...
    Bad example, that was a bad pick when it was made. Even Bennett himself was having hard time not laughing when he heard his name called.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Better than anyone, the Sabonis family knows the NBA is boring, dreary, and largely unfulfilling. Here's the choice. Sit at the end of the bench of a lottery or first round loser NBA team or be the top player in all of CBB, get the degree and be with teammates he clearly enjoys. Unless the Spurs guarantee a spot, and in that case he wouldn't play for 3 years anyway, his best move is to stay. Hoping for a start in a late winter Detroit Philadelphia game is no way to spend your 20th year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Bad example, that was a bad pick when it was made. Even Bennett himself was having hard time not laughing when he heard his name called.
    This was a very bad year.

Player H W P School C # Team
    1 Cleveland Anthony Bennett 6-7 240 SF197
    2 *Orlando Victor Oladipo 6-4 213 SG/SF Indiana
    3 Washington Otto Porter 6-9 200 SF Georgetown
    4 Charlotte Cody Zeller 7-0 230 PF/C Indiana So.
    5 Phoenix Alex Len 7-1 255 C Maryland So
    6 *New Orleans Nerlens Noel 6-11 206 PF/C Kentucky Fr.
    7 *Sacramento Ben McLemore 6-5 190 SG Kansas Fr.
    8 Detroit Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 6-6 205 SG Georgia So
    9 *Utah Trey Burke 6-1 190 PG Michigan So.
    10 *Portland CJ McCollum 6-3 197 PG/SG Lehigh Sr.
    11 *Philadelphia Michael Carter-Williams 6-6 185 PG Syracuse So.
    12 *Oklahoma Cty Steven Adams 7-0 255 C Pittsburgh Fr.
    13 *Boston Kelly Olynyk 7-0 234 C Gonzaga Jr.
    14 *Minnesota Shabazz Muhammad 6-6 225 SF UCLA Fr.
    15 Milwaukee Giannis Adetokoubo 6-10 205 SF Greece Intl.
    16 *Atlanta Lucas Nogueira 7-0 220 PF/C Brazil Intl
    17 Atlanta Dennis Schroder 6-2 168 PG Germany Intl.
    18 *Dallas Shane Larkin 5-11 171 PG Miami So
    19 *Cleveland Sergey Karasev 6-7 197 SG/SF Russia Intl.
    20 Chicago Tony Snell 6-7 198 SG/SF New Mexico Jr
    21 *Minnesota Gorgui Dieng 6-11 230 C Louisville Jr
    22 Brooklyn Mason Plumlee 6-11 238 PF Duke Sr
    23 Indiana Solomon Hill 6-7 226 SF Arizona Sr.
    24 New York Tim Hardaway Jr 6-6 200 SG Michigan Jr.
    25 LA Clippers Reggie Bullock 6-7 200 SG/SF North Carolina Jr.
    26 *Oklahoma Cty Andre Roberson 6-7 206 SF/PF Colorado Jr.
    27 Denver Rudy Gobert 7-2 238 C France Intl.
    28 San Antonio Livio Jean-Charles 6-9 217 SF/PF France Intl.
    29 *Phoenix Archie Goodwin 6-5 189 SG Kentucky Fr.
    30 *Golden St. Nemanja Nedovic

Why?

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Better than anyone, the Sabonis family knows the NBA is boring, dreary, and largely unfulfilling. Here's the choice. Sit at the end of the bench of a lottery or first round loser NBA team or be the top player in all of CBB, get the degree and be with teammates he clearly enjoys. Unless the Spurs guarantee a spot, and in that case he wouldn't play for 3 years anyway, his best move is to stay. Hoping for a start in a late winter Detroit Philadelphia game is no way to spend your 20th year.
    I can confirm this. I've recently watched an Arvydas Sabonis interview which he gave back in 2003 or 2004 after one Euroleague game. He told the reporter that playing in Europe is a much more fun competitive experience, because every game matters and teams put everything on the line. He said that in the NBA, at least during the regular season, games simply don't matter nearly as much, and aren't that fun. So it gave me the impression that Arvydas wasn't a big fan of the 82-game regular season. It's likely that he let Domas know this as well, at some point.

SOunds like absolute "drudgery" for money but you do get wealthy...........I'd love for him to stay. Seems pretty happy here. More to life than money....especially if you're having fun and getting better at the same time. Players don't have to accumulate $50 million to have great lives and be happy. Sounds like the Euro ball might be a nice medium....when Domas is finished here.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SOunds like absolute "drudgery" for money but you do get wealthy...........I'd love for him to stay. Seems pretty happy here. More to life than money....especially if you're having fun and getting better at the same time. Players don't have to accumulate $50 million to have great lives and be happy. Sounds like the Euro ball might be a nice medium....when Domas is finished here.
    But Doc the $$$$ will always be there. Oodles of lucre. Somewhere. This isn't a closing window, grab for a gold ring kind of opportunity. He will be a very rich young man very soon, somewhere. A third year at G is actually the closing window, gold ring, once in a lifetime opportunity. I would be disappointed if he passes on that.

Me too. As I tried to say above, money isn't all that important compared to something you'll carry (a certain joy I guess) for the rest of your life. I hope he understands joy vs dudgery no matter the money. He's just 20...he'll have lots of time to generate millions. Get an insurance policy if you must to protect you from damages that might end your career.. but the joy of winning with your friends as a team...well, there's nothing like it.
    Seriously nothing.

A determining factor in Sabonis' decision will be his family input AND whether Shem stays or returns to Europe.

Peopl close to Karnowski say he will absolutely, unequivocally leave for Europe if Doctors tell him he only has a couple years of 100% high level basketball under his belt.

Said he's considering staying if he receives the full go "all clear'.

You'd think the opposite would be true but not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Me too. As I tried to say above, money isn't all that important compared to something you'll carry (a certain joy I guess) for the rest of your life. I hope he understands joy vs dudgery no matter the money. He's just 20...he'll have lots of time to generate millions. Get an insurance policy if you must to protect you from damages that might end your career.. but the joy of winning with your friends as a team...well, there's nothing like it.
    Seriously nothing.
    +1000
    The great benefit of having lots of money is that one can afford the luxury of doing exactly what they want to do. As I have said before once you leave school the rest is work no matter how much money you may make its still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Peopl close to Karnowski say he will absolutely, unequivocally leave for Europe if Doctors tell him he only has a couple years of 100% high level basketball under his belt.

Said he's considering staying if he receives the full go "all clear'.

You'd think the opposite would be true but not the case.
    It makes sense. He can go to Europe for those remaining 'couple of years' to make some money playing professionally. Then, after his career is over, he could come back to GU to get his degree.

It's easy for us who want our stars to stay in college to say sliding from #1 to #6 is not that bad. However, in doing so, Noel loss $10 million dollars!!!!!! Not chump change.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi.../#465d56601e56

Whether Sabonis stays or not will depend on whether he truly can jump to the "lottery" status or if he remains in the late teens. Scouting on him is that he has great offensive inside skills, great motor and rebounder, intelligent, & is a great competitor. Doesn't hurt to have a "Hall-of-Fame" father. Downside is that he needs to work on & show that he is willing to take & make more jump shots. He improved immensely as the year went along, but still did not take very many jump shots. Secondly, his defense is fair by NBA standards.

If he is projected to be in the late teens, working on his deficiencies one more year might elevate him near the top of the next draft. However, if he's getting an indication that some teams are willing to make him a lottery pick & let him work on those deficiencies in the NBA, then he's probably gone. Too much to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Time to revisit the mock drafts. Seems like all but one has DS in the 18-20 range. The outlier, NBA Draft Net, has him, stunningly, at 5.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/01/nba...-dragan-bender

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/
    Check to see if the NBA Draft Net mock draft is being run by a St. Mary's or BYU fan!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

NBA is extremely boring. Great in 90s but new day is awful. NBA sucks
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.