Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: What do Perkins and Melson do now?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,101

    Default

    Love your style 11, lol

    I'm not sure if anyone agrees but I think Melson is going to be our next possible glue guy - whatever that means haha jk. Especially with the guys in front of him. Solid defender and streaky shooter. Needs to work on a lot and it sucks that he burned his redshirt last season.

    Seems like we lost a lot more than Pangos rest last year that cost us a potential final four we lost Perkins expirience that cost us another shot this year.

    Go Bulldogs
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  2. #27

    Default

    Perkins has the upside, I think he will continue to improve his game. Melson on the other hand, maybe. Earlier this year he struggled, he has the talent, but it seems he needs to get his confidence back to move forward. He came on strong towards the end of the season. Melson could step into a Dranginis type role going into next year.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,141

    Default

    As far as Josh in concerned, as I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see NWG take over much of the ball handling duties next season and for Perkins to become a playmaking combo guard. Kind of like how Stepp and Dickau operated. I think Josh would be an excellent two guard, but he wouldn't be a conventional two guard. He could play PG when NWG needs rest, and the two could share the ball and play make for themselves and others. I think those two are going to be a force to be reckoned with next season, and that they will work well as a tandem.

    Melson showed some nice improvement over the past 4-5 weeks, but I am just not convinced he is a starting quality player. Gonzaga needs a dead eye sharpshooter at that small forward spot, and Melson has yet to prove that he has a consistent shot at this level. Of course he could improve over the offseason, but he's going to need to get way better and more consistent. I expect Zach Norvell to challenge him for minutes. I also expect Few to dip into the grad transfer market for a scoring wing - especially if Hachimura becomes a 2017 player.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    I'm honestly a bit confused about next year. Some say nwg isn't a great shooter, although hopefully he has improved. If he is not a three point threat, then he and melson can't be on the floor at the same time, playing 3 on 5 offense. I would guess melson spells perkins or nwg. Take away kd and em, add nwg and Zach. Is that a wash? Maybe if you call jw3 a 3, then it's a net gain.
    NWG averaged 15 1/2 ppg last year. He might not be a great shooter but that isn't even close to the same thing as not being a scorer. NWG will not be a non-factor on offense. Several years ago when Few insisted on playing Stockton and Hart together, it truly was 3 on 5 on offense. I don't see that scenario ever happening again.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    NWG averaged 15 1/2 ppg last year. He might not be a great shooter but that isn't even close to the same thing as not being a scorer. NWG will not be a non-factor on offense. Several years ago when Few insisted on playing Stockton and Hart together, it truly was 3 on 5 on offense. I don't see that scenario ever happening again.

    That's good to hear. I haven't seen him play, I was working off his quote from a slipper still fits profile where he mentioned that his shooting wasn't great and was something he's been working on. My limited understanding of his game is that he is a slashing scorer and I was worried that, with defenders packing the paint due to a lack of three point threat and the presence of dominant post scorers for gu, that wouldn't play out well. Maybe Collins can pull people out of the crowd.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    That's good to hear. I haven't seen him play, I was working off his quote from a slipper still fits profile where he mentioned that his shooting wasn't great and was something he's been working on. My limited understanding of his game is that he is a slashing scorer and I was worried that, with defenders packing the paint due to a lack of three point threat and the presence of dominant post scorers for gu, that wouldn't play out well. Maybe Collins can pull people out of the crowd.
    I didn't watch a lot of him at UW, but I know he could get his points. I don't think they had any deadly perimeter shooters while he was there, so he's probably seen some of the pack it in approach.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    That's good to hear. I haven't seen him play, I was working off his quote from a slipper still fits profile where he mentioned that his shooting wasn't great and was something he's been working on. My limited understanding of his game is that he is a slashing scorer and I was worried that, with defenders packing the paint due to a lack of three point threat and the presence of dominant post scorers for gu, that wouldn't play out well. Maybe Collins can pull people out of the crowd.
    I live in Pac12 country so I saw a lot of NWG when he was at Washington. He is not shy about shooting the 3 ball but shot a low percentage last year (27%). He is a scorer and is very crafty. Kind of like Wesley but quicker and smaller. If DS goes pro NWG will lead team in scoring next year

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,141

    Default

    NWG was not a good 3 point shooter his last year at UW, but he did shoot 36% as a freshman. I would imagine the focus of his redshirt year has been learning the playbook and improving his outside shot. I'd like to see him get it up to around 38%. That's manageable.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I live in Pac12 country so I saw a lot of NWG when he was at Washington. He is not shy about shooting the 3 ball but shot a low percentage last year (27%). He is a scorer and is very crafty. Kind of like Wesley but quicker and smaller. If DS goes pro NWG will lead team in scoring next year
    Lead because he's a volume shooter or because he is effective at scoring in other ways? I'd rather have josh taking the threes, since he actually hits them. Is that how they pitched this to Josh when they brought nwg in? You'll get more open looks from three? It seems like it'd be true.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,205

    Default

    Nwg will get his points. If karno or D's return I think a elite 8 is reasonable if not higher. I'm still depressed bout Friday though.
    Love the zags for life

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    Lead because he's a volume shooter or because he is effective at scoring in other ways? I'd rather have josh taking the threes, since he actually hits them. Is that how they pitched this to Josh when they brought nwg in? You'll get more open looks from three? It seems like it'd be true.
    Yes, I would call NWG a volume shooter. He isn't cat quick or exceptionally explosive, but he can create space and get to the rim seemingly whenever he wants. Both JP and NWG know they will, play alongside each other sharing the pg role and from what I understand both not only are accepting of it, but are relishing the matchup problems that they will create

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Nice to see you show up every 6 weeks when JP makes a mistake. Get over your personal ####.
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. He's mad that the Zags made the tourney, let alone the sweet 16, and made him look foolish. Sad.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. He's mad that the Zags made the tourney, let alone the sweet 16, and made him look foolish. Sad.
    you're not the only one, or two. do you have me on ignore?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    you're not the only one, or two. do you have me on ignore?
    Please forgive the oversight.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Please forgive the oversight.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    NWG is a scorer not necessarily a shooter. He is exactly what our offense needs- someone who can get points when needed. If Sabonis comes back along with Karno, NWG will be huge xfactor. If someone else like Perkins can develop a reliable 3, then this team will be hard to stop. Melson will probably get min off the bench. Alberts might be the odd man out

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill of Spokane
    Posts
    2,755

    Default How is NWG's surgical procedure progressing?

    I don't know the medical details but NWG had some surgery on his foot/ankle to "clean something up." Scar tissue from some prior injury? Tendons? Ligaments? I don't know if he is still wearing a boot.

    Is there a doctor in the house?

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    I'm not worried as GU has created the atmosphere of a program where you need to learn to succeed and plus who knows what's in store an off-season away with so many moving parts. My assessment is Perk just needs to find the consistency to his game and avoid the lulls but I am a little concerned about Melson.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,337

    Default

    Melson could be a star in another system. Not gonna happen for him at G.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Melson could be a star in another system. Not gonna happen for him at G.
    Jazz...don't want to agree but think you're right...just don't see him ever getting over the yips...think they'll haunt him through his career....don't see the alpha Bulldog in Silas....hope I'm wrong.

    Go!! Zags!!!

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    you're not the only one, or two. do you have me on ignore?

    A perfect analogy: This is an example of why modern politics are in such a sad state of affairs. Carl Rove taught us that if you cannot win the message, you must beat up the messenger. From Rove, came the birth of identity politics as our collective mainstream political ideology. Of course it existed before Rove, he just made it fashionable.

    This is why a majority pays no attention to root causes. This is why a majority pays no attention to issues. We have become a nation of celebrity worshipers. You must love the celebrity or you are the enemy.

    And it appears that Zag nation has followed suit.

    The emperor is not wearing clothes. No one has properly accounted for the "on court" issues I have mentioned because it exposes celebrity.
    I miss Mike Hart

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    A perfect analogy: This is an example of why modern politics are in such a sad state of affairs. Carl Rove taught us that if you cannot win the message, you must beat up the messenger. From Rove, came the birth of identity politics as our collective mainstream political ideology. Of course it existed before Rove, he just made it fashionable.

    This is why a majority pays no attention to root causes. This is why a majority pays no attention to issues. We have become a nation of celebrity worshipers. You must love the celebrity or you are the enemy.

    And it appears that Zag nation has followed suit.

    The emperor is not wearing clothes. No one has properly accounted for the "on court" issues I have mentioned because it exposes celebrity.
    Ha! That's all you got dude? I did discuss this stuff in another thread with you, with specifics, and guess what? you didn't reply! want to know what's wrong in modern politics, there it is. Thanks for the demonstration Mick. Go read it, reply if you can, and avoid all this whiny tripe you wrote above.

    Beat up on the messenger, as you just did above while ignoring the discussion earlier. classic dude

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. He's mad that the Zags made the tourney, let alone the sweet 16, and made him look foolish. Sad.
    I didn't think their chances were too great after losing to St. Mary's at home and I believe I had some company. I was overjoyed with their success.

    There were so many mistakes made against Syracuse by players and coaches. The whole team seemed ill prepared yet still we could have won that game. I'm looking forward to having next year's group rub everybody's noses in that loss.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill of Spokane
    Posts
    2,755

    Default In answer to your question

    What do Perkins and Melson do now?

    Uh, go to class Tuesday morning after the Easter Holiday?

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Also, watch a team they had beat play in the final four. That has to sting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •