Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do Perkins and Melson do now?

Love your style 11, lol

I'm not sure if anyone agrees but I think Melson is going to be our next possible glue guy - whatever that means haha jk. Especially with the guys in front of him. Solid defender and streaky shooter. Needs to work on a lot and it sucks that he burned his redshirt last season.

Seems like we lost a lot more than Pangos rest last year that cost us a potential final four we lost Perkins expirience that cost us another shot this year.

Go Bulldogs
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Perkins has the upside, I think he will continue to improve his game. Melson on the other hand, maybe. Earlier this year he struggled, he has the talent, but it seems he needs to get his confidence back to move forward. He came on strong towards the end of the season. Melson could step into a Dranginis type role going into next year.

As far as Josh in concerned, as I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see NWG take over much of the ball handling duties next season and for Perkins to become a playmaking combo guard. Kind of like how Stepp and Dickau operated. I think Josh would be an excellent two guard, but he wouldn't be a conventional two guard. He could play PG when NWG needs rest, and the two could share the ball and play make for themselves and others. I think those two are going to be a force to be reckoned with next season, and that they will work well as a tandem.

Melson showed some nice improvement over the past 4-5 weeks, but I am just not convinced he is a starting quality player. Gonzaga needs a dead eye sharpshooter at that small forward spot, and Melson has yet to prove that he has a consistent shot at this level. Of course he could improve over the offseason, but he's going to need to get way better and more consistent. I expect Zach Norvell to challenge him for minutes. I also expect Few to dip into the grad transfer market for a scoring wing - especially if Hachimura becomes a 2017 player.

Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    I'm honestly a bit confused about next year. Some say nwg isn't a great shooter, although hopefully he has improved. If he is not a three point threat, then he and melson can't be on the floor at the same time, playing 3 on 5 offense. I would guess melson spells perkins or nwg. Take away kd and em, add nwg and Zach. Is that a wash? Maybe if you call jw3 a 3, then it's a net gain.
    NWG averaged 15 1/2 ppg last year. He might not be a great shooter but that isn't even close to the same thing as not being a scorer. NWG will not be a non-factor on offense. Several years ago when Few insisted on playing Stockton and Hart together, it truly was 3 on 5 on offense. I don't see that scenario ever happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    NWG averaged 15 1/2 ppg last year. He might not be a great shooter but that isn't even close to the same thing as not being a scorer. NWG will not be a non-factor on offense. Several years ago when Few insisted on playing Stockton and Hart together, it truly was 3 on 5 on offense. I don't see that scenario ever happening again.

That's good to hear. I haven't seen him play, I was working off his quote from a slipper still fits profile where he mentioned that his shooting wasn't great and was something he's been working on. My limited understanding of his game is that he is a slashing scorer and I was worried that, with defenders packing the paint due to a lack of three point threat and the presence of dominant post scorers for gu, that wouldn't play out well. Maybe Collins can pull people out of the crowd.

That's good to hear. I haven't seen him play, I was working off his quote from a slipper still fits profile where he mentioned that his shooting wasn't great and was something he's been working on. My limited understanding of his game is that he is a slashing scorer and I was worried that, with defenders packing the paint due to a lack of three point threat and the presence of dominant post scorers for gu, that wouldn't play out well. Maybe Collins can pull people out of the crowd.
    I didn't watch a lot of him at UW, but I know he could get his points. I don't think they had any deadly perimeter shooters while he was there, so he's probably seen some of the pack it in approach.

I live in Pac12 country so I saw a lot of NWG when he was at Washington. He is not shy about shooting the 3 ball but shot a low percentage last year (27%). He is a scorer and is very crafty. Kind of like Wesley but quicker and smaller. If DS goes pro NWG will lead team in scoring next year

NWG was not a good 3 point shooter his last year at UW, but he did shoot 36% as a freshman. I would imagine the focus of his redshirt year has been learning the playbook and improving his outside shot. I'd like to see him get it up to around 38%. That's manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I live in Pac12 country so I saw a lot of NWG when he was at Washington. He is not shy about shooting the 3 ball but shot a low percentage last year (27%). He is a scorer and is very crafty. Kind of like Wesley but quicker and smaller. If DS goes pro NWG will lead team in scoring next year
    Lead because he's a volume shooter or because he is effective at scoring in other ways? I'd rather have josh taking the threes, since he actually hits them. Is that how they pitched this to Josh when they brought nwg in? You'll get more open looks from three? It seems like it'd be true.

Nwg will get his points. If karno or D's return I think a elite 8 is reasonable if not higher. I'm still depressed bout Friday though.
    Love the zags for life

Lead because he's a volume shooter or because he is effective at scoring in other ways? I'd rather have josh taking the threes, since he actually hits them. Is that how they pitched this to Josh when they brought nwg in? You'll get more open looks from three? It seems like it'd be true.
    Yes, I would call NWG a volume shooter. He isn't cat quick or exceptionally explosive, but he can create space and get to the rim seemingly whenever he wants. Both JP and NWG know they will, play alongside each other sharing the pg role and from what I understand both not only are accepting of it, but are relishing the matchup problems that they will create

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Nice to see you show up every 6 weeks when JP makes a mistake. Get over your personal ####.
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. He's mad that the Zags made the tourney, let alone the sweet 16, and made him look foolish. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. He's mad that the Zags made the tourney, let alone the sweet 16, and made him look foolish. Sad.
    you're not the only one, or two. do you have me on ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Please forgive the oversight.

Please forgive the oversight.

NWG is a scorer not necessarily a shooter. He is exactly what our offense needs- someone who can get points when needed. If Sabonis comes back along with Karno, NWG will be huge xfactor. If someone else like Perkins can develop a reliable 3, then this team will be hard to stop. Melson will probably get min off the bench. Alberts might be the odd man out

Default How is NWG's surgical procedure progressing?

I don't know the medical details but NWG had some surgery on his foot/ankle to "clean something up." Scar tissue from some prior injury? Tendons? Ligaments? I don't know if he is still wearing a boot.

Is there a doctor in the house?

I'm not worried as GU has created the atmosphere of a program where you need to learn to succeed and plus who knows what's in store an off-season away with so many moving parts. My assessment is Perk just needs to find the consistency to his game and avoid the lulls but I am a little concerned about Melson.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Melson could be a star in another system. Not gonna happen for him at G.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Melson could be a star in another system. Not gonna happen for him at G.
    Jazz...don't want to agree but think you're right...just don't see him ever getting over the yips...think they'll haunt him through his career....don't see the alpha Bulldog in Silas....hope I'm wrong.

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post

A perfect analogy: This is an example of why modern politics are in such a sad state of affairs. Carl Rove taught us that if you cannot win the message, you must beat up the messenger. From Rove, came the birth of identity politics as our collective mainstream political ideology. Of course it existed before Rove, he just made it fashionable.

This is why a majority pays no attention to root causes. This is why a majority pays no attention to issues. We have become a nation of celebrity worshipers. You must love the celebrity or you are the enemy.

And it appears that Zag nation has followed suit.

The emperor is not wearing clothes. No one has properly accounted for the "on court" issues I have mentioned because it exposes celebrity.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    A perfect analogy: This is an example of why modern politics are in such a sad state of affairs. Carl Rove taught us that if you cannot win the message, you must beat up the messenger. From Rove, came the birth of identity politics as our collective mainstream political ideology. Of course it existed before Rove, he just made it fashionable.

This is why a majority pays no attention to root causes. This is why a majority pays no attention to issues. We have become a nation of celebrity worshipers. You must love the celebrity or you are the enemy.

And it appears that Zag nation has followed suit.

The emperor is not wearing clothes. No one has properly accounted for the "on court" issues I have mentioned because it exposes celebrity.
    Ha! That's all you got dude? I did discuss this stuff in another thread with you, with specifics, and guess what? you didn't reply! want to know what's wrong in modern politics, there it is. Thanks for the demonstration Mick. Go read it, reply if you can, and avoid all this whiny tripe you wrote above.

Beat up on the messenger, as you just did above while ignoring the discussion earlier. classic dude

I didn't think their chances were too great after losing to St. Mary's at home and I believe I had some company. I was overjoyed with their success.

There were so many mistakes made against Syracuse by players and coaches. The whole team seemed ill prepared yet still we could have won that game. I'm looking forward to having next year's group rub everybody's noses in that loss.

Default In answer to your question

What do Perkins and Melson do now?

Uh, go to class Tuesday morning after the Easter Holiday?

Also, watch a team they had beat play in the final four. That has to sting.