Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Next Year's TEAM

I remember seeing an interview with Della Donne after she left UConn. She was with her sister (who has special needs) and why it was important for her to be close to home and her family. Very very nice gal. Glad that she is playing with Sloot...

They also interviewed the Great Geno and he was saying he thought she was making a mistake leaving the program.... I was not impressed with his comments. It was about him and his team and not very understanding that Elena needed to be with her sister...

I seem to remember that Delle Donne was suffering some burnout with basketball. She played volleyball for a year or two at Delaware before eventually returning to bball. Everything worked out fine for all parties involved, but I can understand UConn fans still wondering "what if?" I believe Delle Donne and Maya Moore would've been together for 3 years if she stayed at UConn. That would've been freaking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I seem to remember that Delle Donne was suffering some burnout with basketball. She played volleyball for a year or two at Delaware before eventually returning to bball. Everything worked out fine for all parties involved, but I can understand UConn fans still wondering "what if?" I believe Delle Donne and Maya Moore would've been together for 3 years if she stayed at UConn. That would've been freaking ridiculous.
    The team most likely would have been awesome. However, when you have two or more superstars, they likely would have split up the available points and both may have had career numbers somewhat less than they had as superstars at different schools. It is possible that neither player would have been MVP if they played on the same team.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    The team most likely would have been awesome. However, when you have two or more superstars, they likely would have split up the available points and both may have had career numbers somewhat less than they had as superstars at different schools. It is possible that neither player would have been MVP if they played on the same team.

ZagDad
    Definitely agreed. Points per game can be a bit misleading. I don't think Stewart ever averaged 20+ ppg but has generally been considered the best player in the country for at least the last 2 and maybe 3 years (although a Sr. Chiney Ogwumike was amazing). Jefferson and Tuck were both chipping in somewhere in the 12-15 ppg range and were still in the running for All American status. So anyway I think Moore would've scored less if she had a Delle Donne as a teammate, but Elena in particular wouldn't have scored nearly as much as she did at Delaware. Moore did have Tina Charles as a teammate for several years, and both were considered stars.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Definitely agreed. Points per game can be a bit misleading. I don't think Stewart ever averaged 20+ ppg but has generally been considered the best player in the country for at least the last 2 and maybe 3 years (although a Sr. Chiney Ogwumike was amazing). Jefferson and Tuck were both chipping in somewhere in the 12-15 ppg range and were still in the running for All American status. So anyway I think Moore would've scored less if she had a Delle Donne as a teammate, but Elena in particular wouldn't have scored nearly as much as she did at Delaware. Moore did have Tina Charles as a teammate for several years, and both were considered stars.
    Geno is known as a hard-nosed guy that does not necessarily get along with all his players. His "get tough" approach certainly has worked wonders for the kids that have thrived under that type of coach. Pat Summit @ Tennessee was another no nonsense coach. KG and LF have an entirely different type of coaching style. Not necessarily better or worse just different. The hard nose approach works for many ladies, who need that added push to get the best out of them. However, some girls are turned off by that approach. Sylvia Haskell at UNC lost 3-4 kids last year. Wendy Schuller at EWU lost 4 kids last year. Dawn Staley at South Carolina has lost a couple this year.

If GU lost 3-4 starters, well you can look at the last year and see what happens. Many of these top notch teams can lose 2-3 players and while they may be down, their still a top 25 club. Not only does the school, program, current team members and location have to suit the potential student, but also the coaching staff and style must mesh with the student. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

ZagDad

SNOBS AMONG US
    Fact Zags women basketball game attendance the majority of season ticket holders are very old senior citizens. Most of the senior citizens are nice but their are snobs among us. This was especially noticeable the last NIT game in the Kennel, where the lower level stands were packed like sardines, while the 2nd level and ends were almost empty. I was lucky enough to be in attendance with several friends who were not season ticket holders. They brought it to my attention how rude and obnoxious and full of themselves some were. They thought they were entitled because they were season ticket holders and my friends were not that they could do what ever they wanted. That included standing up when every one else was sitting down, blocking the views of others when their was no action going on the floor. They just ignored those around them and did whatever and said whatever they wanted, they were totally self absorbed.
    Overall the Women Zags have great fans. It great to see the young girl fans the Women ZAGS players really enjoy.
    Just saying be respectful of those around you at all times, season tickets holders should be setting the example for future fans. Your not entitled to nothing but your seats. Nobody like snobs and set a good example for the young girls attending the games. Just pretend your grandsons and granddaughters are in attendance observing your behavior and act accordingly.
    Thank You

unless we were treated differently, being a STH did not give you preference to where you sat; if you got tickets early, you got to choose where you sat.....so, I would suspect a lot of people in the lower level were not exclusively STH but fans from upper levels and fans that do not go to the games at all...

where we sit, we never have had any problems....

Also a STH and sit in the lower bowl. I was at that game and if I was one of those "very old senior citizens" that offended you, I appologize. I apologize for standing up and clapping to the pre-game routine that happens every game. I apologize for standing up and trying to encourage the girls on defense. I apologize for standing up and getting excited when a great play happens. Man that's a lot of up and down for a very old senior citizen! I guess if you come to another game, get off your ass and cheer on the ladies with the rest of us very old senior citizens, then you won't be so offended!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    SNOBS AMONG US
    Fact Zags women basketball game attendance the majority of season ticket holders are very old senior citizens. Most of the senior citizens are nice but their are snobs among us. This was especially noticeable the last NIT game in the Kennel, where the lower level stands were packed like sardines, while the 2nd level and ends were almost empty. I was lucky enough to be in attendance with several friends who were not season ticket holders. They brought it to my attention how rude and obnoxious and full of themselves some were. They thought they were entitled because they were season ticket holders and my friends were not that they could do what ever they wanted. That included standing up when every one else was sitting down, blocking the views of others when their was no action going on the floor. They just ignored those around them and did whatever and said whatever they wanted, they were totally self absorbed.
    Overall the Women Zags have great fans. It great to see the young girl fans the Women ZAGS players really enjoy.
    Just saying be respectful of those around you at all times, season tickets holders should be setting the example for future fans. Your not entitled to nothing but your seats. Nobody like snobs and set a good example for the young girls attending the games. Just pretend your grandsons and granddaughters are in attendance observing your behavior and act accordingly.
    Thank You
    Really ZAB? You have a couple weeks to digest your experience and have it flow through your keyboard and this is what you come up with? I would suggest next time you wait much longer before posting. I too am probably one of those very old Senior Citizens that stand up alot. Most of the time it is to cheer on our girls but you may find out some day that your "depends" can bunch up with too much sitting. next time take a step back and understand that it was those who you are being critical of who have made women's bb at the Kennel so special. And oh ya, many of them fought for our country so you could go to a bb game and cheer on your favorite team. I don't know how "not very old" you are but we geezers have a saying..."there is a limit to brilliance but no limit to stupid"... Thanks for hold up your end.

Tough break for guys losing Sabonis to draft, I thought he would wait. Well Mark Few will have his work cut out for him next year no big names coming back. Will be interesting. Could be Lisa's chance to make the women shine brighter. But if any coach can bring a bunch of guys together in a season it would be Mark Few.

the menfolk Zags will do just fine....they'll find a way....

back about the crowds at Lady Zag games...I fall into that senior citizen group I guess, although I still don't get all the dang discounts...but I feel consoled by the fact that we cart along my MIL to every home game....now she does qualify for "very old senior citizen" but I wouldn't tell her that....

its really important that we don't act old though....we need to be loud and passionate for our gals....I am...but I also note if I feel like standing and nobody else is, I sheepishly sit down...

the Lady Zags IMO(and my prayer) are going to have a great year....I don't know how they managed to loose this past season like they did but this year we will be more upbeat, faster, refreshed...

Our family has season tickets that all get used for each of the womens games and some of us do fall into the senior citizen bracket...in fact I should probably get a couple of more this year. Find it interesting that ZAB and his friends would know the people standing were STH. I stand and sit the entire game and no one has asked me if we are STH...go watch the girls when they are on the road, no one will be standing in front of you.
    On another note I hear that the twins from Chandler Arizona are in town for an offical visit. I believe that they both were at the BYU game on senior night. Hope they have a great weekend in Spokane.

It would be great if they both were to come. Both are 6'2"+ and from a BB family... remind me of the Hulls

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    SNOBS AMONG US
    Thank You
    Really. If you counted on the Kennel Club to support the women's BB team, you would have a few hundred (at best) in attendance. The GU student body, in general, poorly supports the women's BB program.

Every fan base has some fans that are "snobs", fans that are overly exuberant, fans that sit on their hands, etc. You get the good with the bad. However, we are all at the ball game supporting the Lady Zags, in both good times and bad.

The reason, the women have the attendance figures they due primarily to the senior citizen. A long time STH hear with eight tickets increasing to 10 tickets next year. You should thank your lucky stars that us senior citizens support the lady zags. The women on the BB team and coaching staff appreciate us senior citizens, may you should take a page out of their playbook.

ZagDad

Zag on the run...........if we get them, it'll be a WOW moment.....almost make up for Bri January, Westerberg, and couple other Spokane area BB players going to Arizona State many years ago...
    Last edited by sylean; 04-10-2016 at 04:45 PM.