Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Year's TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Nothing against the girl but IMO For all intent and purpose Emma Stach is dead wood...too small, too slow on both ends of the court,...her good plays will only avg against her bad plays...all players have their moments if they get PT but I have seen her overwhelmed by size and athleticism and would advise her to transfer out because PT will be scarce....would give every minute she played to Chandler Smith without hesitation...

just my opinion

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    Numerous times in the OCC schedule (when Shaq was not available) Lisa F. called Emma S. her "best" defender and would put Emma on the other team's best player (as long as their best player was a 1, 2, or 3). She continued to do this until Shaq was healthy when Shaq took over defending the other team's best player. Many times in the first 6 weeks of the season, the other team's leading scorer was held far below their average. Despite your misgivings and Emma's height (5'-9") and small size, Emma S. has shown to be a very good defender, a decent rebounder with relatively quick hands. She did not have much trouble on the defensive side of the ball.

Emma's problem this year was her offensive production or better stated, lack of production along with her consistency. The vast majority of games, she simply did not shoot well enough and the criticism is well founded. The problem is that the people that would replace her (this year) shot even worse. Next year we will have alternatives that we simply did not have this year.

Big, if you have Chandler as your point (which you said earlier in this thread), she won't be taking any time away from Emma, she would be taking time away from LS. Mak will probably play the #2 and she certainly could take minutes away from Emma S as long as she plays good defense. If Mak plays defense like Wiltjer and Elle does not get her med. redshirt, I would expect Chandler to play the #3 and would not be surprised to see Emma S. get big minutes again next year. Defense travels and defense wins games. The girls that play the most next year have to be able to do both.

As you so well said, it is just my opinion.

ZagDad

for the record, KG did good here......even though, as with Lisa, I always questioned his substitutions....yes, even back then....Keani would come in and do good and hit her free throws and out she'd come....lol....I don't know if KG was a great game coach....what he did do well is get some pretty good recruits and hired some good assistants and developed the program to attract fans.....it didn't hurt to have Few and the boys doing so well.....that definitely helped bring attention to Gonzaga, all of it....

I was upset that KG left at first, but in retrospect, he had hit a wall and so had the team.....change is good......ex coaches often take their entire staffs with them and as many of their "good" recruits as they can...that is exactly what he did.....his loyalty to Gonzaga ended the moment he inked his contract with Oregon.....

Sylvan, don't know what your fascination with KG is, but let it go. All he did was build a program from the depths into a national power. In the modern era, no other mid-major has gone Sweet 16, Elite 8, Sweet 16 in 3 successive seasons. He won 10 straight WCC championships and the Zag women compiled a 136-12 record in WCC games during that run. To put that in perspective, we lost 8 league games this year alone. There is no doubt that we would have continued that success but we have a very capable coach in LF & she will be just fine. The reality is that it is much tougher to get to Final 4 as a so-called mid-major on the womens side than on the mens side. The last mid-major to make womens FF was Southwest Missouri State in 2001 and they were led by Jackie Stiles, arguably one of the greatest players of all-time. On the mens side during the same period, you've had several including Butler (twice), VCU, Wichita State, among others. The opportunity to recruit the kinds of players that can get a program to FF is easier in the Pac-12 and maybe KG was looking for that opportunity, who knows but he gave us a lot and earned an opportunity to go elsewhere. Why begrudge someone of that? As for Coach Fews program, guaranteed no women's player came to GU because of the strength of the men's program--that makes absolutely no sense.

Lalazag, regarding your comment, "maybe KG was looking for the opportunity" to get to the Final Four. You nailed it. In a Spokesman Review sportswriter Vince Grippi column from April 2014, http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ing-to-oregon/, among other things Graves noted he felt he had reached a ceiling at GU. Grippi also notes, "resources are seemingly endless at Oregon", another reason for Graves departure. And I couldn't agree more with Lalazags statement regarding Syleans fascination with Graves, stealing recruits, coaching staff and whatever. Let it go is right. Graves has been gone for two years!

I'll "let it go" when posters stop making him out to be a saint....he recruited Stirton,Laura Cornelius,Bando all in one year. IIRC..... all point guards...who recruits three point guards for one class unless they have some "plan"...don't know if Kacie played pg in HS..........he recruited badly and left us with no junior class, although I won't blame him for what McClard did....does it seem to anyone that he just sort of mailed it in the last year?...

I have no fascination about him nor Oregon.... he had every right to leave..good....go....he went after our best recruits and got one....but still, he's all good right.....what if he had gotten Jill?....I'd hate to see where our program would be this year....

.I do note a lot of criticism of Lisa and her coaching staff for things out of their control....but apparently, its okay to criticize the new staff but not the old...It does aggravate me that people are so free and easy to criticize the new coach but the old one gets a pass.....

he said more than once that the Gonzaga program was the best coaching job in America...well, it was until a better offer came in..

okay so enough....won't say another word...

and Lady, I work with some Gonzaga students....almost all of them say they came to Gonzaga from California or Oregon or other places because of the men's BB...

and besides, even KG admitted that the young women players like the fact that our men's program was a plus....KG would never lie....

If by mailing it in, you mean going 29-5 overall with losses at Oklahoma, Stanford, Saint Mary's (ot), BYU, and JMU. Perfect home record. 16-2 in WCC (1st). WCC Tourney Championship beating BYU in final by 14. Road wins at Wisconsin, Ohio State, WSU. Ranked in Top 25 every week or nearly every week that season. A #6 seed, highest seed in WCC history. An RPI of like 11 going into NCAA Tourney. If that's mailing it in...then sign me up Geez, could you imagine what could have been accomplished if he'd actually tried

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I'll "let it go" when posters stop making him out to be a saint.No Saint. Just a damn good coach who turned our program around from nothing to a contender every year. ...he recruited Stirton,Laura Cornelius,Bando all in one year. IIRC..... all point guards...who recruits three point guards for one class unless they have some "plan". Heres a plan for you. You graduate your two starting point guards, Haiden and Jazzy, your next two (2) junior back-ups, Danielle and Mikey have decided not to return for their senior year. Leaving you without any point guards. Recruit an all-american Ju-Co point guard, Georgia, who comes in as a junior and two (2) freshman point guards. Makes perfect sense to me. We were guard depleted and he recruited guards. ..don't know if Kacie played pg in HS..........he recruited badly Beg to differ. He left us lots of talent that either was injured or did not play to their potential this year. Last year we made the sweet sixteen. Along with the injuries, this is more a reflection of LF's first year recruiting than KG's last year recruiting and left us with no junior class, although I won't blame him for what McClard did....does it seem to anyone that he just sort of mailed it in the last year?.As Lala said below, if KG's last year was mailing it in, sign me up for seconds, thirds, etc. I would take that every year. ..

I have no fascination about him nor Oregon.... he had every right to leave..good....go....he went after our best recruits and got one.After the coaching change, the recruit elected to stay home in Eugene. Perfectly understandable. Remember that there are specific NCAA rules about recruiting after a student has signed an LOI. If there was any evidence that KG or the UO staff spoke to Bando after she signed her LOI, there could be significant and serious ramifications for UO. If you have it provide proof so the NCAA can investigate. She had to request a release from her LOI from GU before they could even talk to her. GU did not have to let Bando out of her LOI, they could have made her play her freshman year here (or sit out losing a year of eligibility), like UW did to katelon Redmond. GU elected to let the student decide where she want to play. Which is the way it should be, IMO, if there is any type of coaching change. If you don't like teams poaching our players keep in mind the players we have "poached" in recent years like Katelon Redmond, Haiden Palmer, Lindsey Sherbert, Taylor Karr all transfers from power 5 conference teams. The list goes on and on. ...but still, he's all good right.....what if he had gotten Jill?.If Jill had wanted out of here LOI, to go anywhere, I would have let her go. Does not matter what it would have done to the team. ...I'd hate to see where our program would be this year.Zykera would have had more time, Elle may not have ended her year, and we likely would have had more loses. None of which is KG's fault....

.I do note a lot of criticism of Lisa and her coaching staff for things out of their control.This is untrue. Most of the criticism of LF and her staff were items that were or should have been under her control. She is the boss. She is the head coach and is paid the big bucks so it ultimately is her decision and her responsibility. We as fans have a right to question those things which we think they are doing wrong. Like an NFL quarterback, the coach may get too much credit when things go right and too much blame when they go wrong, but that is the lot they signed up for. ...but apparently, its okay to criticize the new staff but not the old...It does aggravate me that people are so free and easy to criticize the new coach but the old one gets a pass.When KG was coaching GU he was subject to his own criticisms. However when you win your conference essentially every year, the WCC Tourney most years and 7 consecutive NCAAs there is not alot to complain about. Keep in mind that LF lost essentially the same number of games this year than KG lost in his last 3 years. LF did not get too many complaints near the end of last year when the team was winning. Winning does that. Equally, losing will breed discontentment and questions. If LF wins next year, the criticism will die down. If the loses continue to mount, the criticism will increase. ....

he said more than once that the Gonzaga program was the best coaching job in America...well, it was until a better offer came in..

okay so enough....won't say another word...

and Lady, I work with some Gonzaga students....almost all of them say they came to Gonzaga from California or Oregon or other places because of the men's BB...

and besides, even KG admitted that the young women players like the fact that our men's program was a plus....KG would never lie....
    The men's BB program brings attention and notoriety to GU to many students, just not bb players. The fact that the men's bb team fields a competitive team is a plus for many students not just bb players. If a women's bb player elected to come to GU because of the mens's bb program, then I would say that person did not have a better offer. Men's bb helps but does not land top rated D-1 recruits, the women's bb staff have to do this on their own.

We get that you have a peeve with KG. That's more than within your right. The issue many of us have is your on-going minimizing of KG's accomplishments. You have outright accused KG of mailing it in while still employed by GU. You even have questioned KG's integrity by speculating he intentionally hurt GU's program in favor of UO's program even though to do this would have required months and years of preparation even before the UO job opened. This smear campaign is beyond ridiculous. KG did nothing wrong by moving to UO. You don't like the man, your choice, but this minimizing, marginalizing campaign against KG is beyond bush league.

GU fans are better than this.

ZagDad

I like KG and what he did for GU. And I think he had the opportunity to do more... I don't thing he was at the top of what GU had to offer...to get what he thought was the next level in players. I think he left because he was given a heck of an offer by UO. The PAC12 is a step up from the WCC. Look at the final 4...

If I had any complains with KG, it was him tell everyone he had the best job in the land (and he may have ment it at the time) and then leaving. I think a lot of us were looking at him as another Few that had the loyalty to a school and community that had backed him all the way. (I know loyalty doesn't mean much any more)

KG didn't leave the bench empty. The sweet 16 showed that. This next year will show if this last year was a look at the future or if GU is back on top.

Go Zags !!!

Graves said some where it is easier to recruit at a school that has a football program. I went looking for that quote but ran across this video made by one of his recruits at their visit. Apparently they invited all their prospects to one weekend. After watching it I could see it as a tool to get a pass on the field. In fact I guess most football schools use football as a recruiting tool for about everything else.

I also noticed the Graves boys have one of the best jobs hanging out with the girls. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPkkB7b8uU

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    Graves said some where it is easier to recruit at a school that has a football program. I went looking for that quote but ran across this video made by one of his recruits at their visit. Apparently they invited all their prospects to one weekend. After watching it I could see it as a tool to get a pass on the field. In fact I guess most football schools use football as a recruiting tool for about everything else.

I also noticed the Graves boys have one of the best jobs hanging out with the girls. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPkkB7b8uU
    It must work. Some people have his 2016 incoming class as a Top 10 recruiting class.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    It must work. Some people have his 2016 incoming class as a Top 10 recruiting class.

ZagDad
    Oregon is in the final 3 along with Oregon St. and Cal for the MVP of the recent McDonald's All American game--Sabrina Ionescu. Whoever gets her is gonna jump up in the rankings a fair bit (OSU has a fairly decent class as well, I'm not sure about Cal's).

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Oregon is in the final 3 along with Oregon St. and Cal for the MVP of the recent McDonald's All American game--Sabrina Ionescu. Whoever gets her is gonna jump up in the rankings a fair bit (OSU has a fairly decent class as well, I'm not sure about Cal's).
    I caught the end of the McD's girls game and saw that Sabrina Ionescu was the only female McD's All-American who had not committed. I was wondering where she was considering.

Thanks for the info.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I caught the end of the McD's girls game and saw that Sabrina Ionescu was the only female McD's All-American who had not committed. I was wondering where she was considering.

Thanks for the info.

ZagDad
    I'm really hoping she chooses Oregon St., but regardless she'll be staying on the West Coast which is good. Cal is closest to home, I think her twin brother is going to be a walk on at Oregon, and OSU has the most program momentum from their Final 4 appearance. She should be making her choice in the next several weeks.

Graves said the football reference on his radio talk show.....

Graves left GU without a legit pg....the current pg had to send her resume to 200 colleges before she got an offer...she was adequate, but not DIV 1....in addition, he had only one recruit that is a junior, and only a junior because she redshirted last year.....do you know what it means to have an entire empty class?......its not good....he recruited one player that has seen very little playing time, reason unknown...and another smallish shooting guard....
    sure KG left for the money and the prestige but also I think he may have looked at the roster and saw the holes and decided he better make his escape..

and I sure I'm happy there's posters rooting for a good player to go to OSU or another school.....just what you like to read on the ZAG'S WOMENS'S bb thread....

would you get away with that on the men's side?......no.....but here, we regularly have posters pulling for other competing programs to take recruits.......very strange.....

Emma S can struggle when we play a half court game, but I really like her play when we push the ball and she has chances to drive against limited bigs. In a fast paced high scoring type of offence her speed and shooting would really flourish. As for defense she really did a job on UCriverside, with her speed and size I would like to see her play the passing lanes more aggressive and come up with way more steals. Certainly has potential to be way better than average, like all players it depends upon how you fit into the coaching scheme, placing players in a position where they can be successful. In the end the coaches make the biggest difference, is the offence and defense suited to the players they have, coaches need to adjust to the players abilities and maximize their talent. Did we do that this year?? It took Elle getting hurt before someone realized that C Waters could be of some help and it took Kiera getting hurt before someone realized that Jill had potiential. Starting Waters when Elle got hurt (because she was a sr.) instead of Jill was probably the biggest blunder a have ever seen.

A so-called empty class means nothing. Look at the SMC men--they had no seniors (0) and seemed to do just fine as they won the regular season WCC Championship. In fact, look at OSU's roster two years ago--they had only one senior but won the pac12 and the fact we beat them in the tourney had nothing to do with that fact. We just played better and won--we were the better team, no doubt. Reality is that we signed two very good players in what would be this years' junior class: Emma W (who later red-shirted) and Bayli McClard (a Kelly Bowen type of talent and skill set) but McClard had an unexpected change of heart and hasn't played since. Then, the following year brought fall signees Lexi Bando (all-Pac12 freshman 2yrs ago & top 10 in nation in 3-pt FG% with over 70 makes this season), Jill Barta (a future AA), Georgia (who last I checked started every game in our S16 season 2 yrs ago). Spring commit Laura Cornelius (rated#1 international player by Prospects Nation and who is a 22 min + per game contributor as fresh for Top 25 program Miami). Emma S, a 3-pt threat and KB, a versatile athlete that could develop, were late pickups probably because of the departure of Viela and Walter.

Recruiting is an in-exact science and ever-changing. It's not always wrapped up in some convenient box. But looking at the roster we would have had, we would have still been in incredible position for continued success.

Plenty of non-Zag talk on the men's board. Some of it gets moved to general basketball forum, but some of it stays. It's the off season now anyway, I don't see the harm in mentioning some other programs or players. Some fans are very centric towards one team, others like to follow the general landscape. I'm very much the second kind, don't really understand the first, but to each their own.

I do think Emma is quick....but she is smallish in build even compared to our WCC opponents...there is a place for most body sizes but I do think her role will diminish a little with our bigger guards this year...

I disagree about Jill....she red shirted....she was a star in Montana.....and she was actively sought out by KG....he wanted her at Oregon.....her potential was obvious from the first time she stepped on the floor....I've rewatched all the games from this past season and it is stunning the floor awareness she has to get herself open....and she was confident from the start....even Shaq said about the freshmen, meaning Jill, that she didn't understand a freshmen having the aggression, the confidence and the consistency that Jill has....I predict if given the chance, which means more than averaging 22-24 minutes a game as she did last season, that she'll have probably 25 double/doubles and will lead the league in scoring if not the nation...

Chelsea....ugh.....why she sat for 4 yrs is beyond me....it's maddening knowing what she could have added the last four yrs...of course, a player can't just be a minute here, a minute there to find their stride, as Chelsea had to do....finally this year she got good playing time and I thought she did great...

I look for a much faster game next year....I look for a better passing game...I think we'll be high percentages as far as free throws...I think if the staff gets its act together we can expect several more sell outs...

re Uconn:.....I know they had some great players, but they get a huge advantage playing 8 of their championship/ncaa games in Conn....people from other conferences were outraged (Iowa, eg) that the Zags played two home games and then got awarded two games at the arena several years ago, when Sloot was here...just outraged....but UCONN seems to get home games every single year....

if the NCAA wants to make the womens game a little more competitive and more compelling, they will have to stop handing huge advantages to certain teams.....

South Dakota winning the WNIT is exciting....they drew 7000 fans to their game.....isn't this what the NCAA should be shooting for?....many universities being wild about their teams, and their teams having a fair chance, rather than just a few ????

I just feel the womens game has tremendous potential but there has to be some balancing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lalazag View Post
    A so-called empty class means nothing. Look at the SMC men--they had no seniors (0) and seemed to do just fine as they won the regular season WCC Championship. In fact, look at OSU's roster two years ago--they had only one senior but won the pac12 and the fact we beat them in the tourney had nothing to do with that fact. We just played better and won--we were the better team, no doubt. Reality is that we signed two very good players in what would be this years' junior class: Emma W (who later red-shirted) and Bayli McClard (a Kelly Bowen type of talent and skill set) but McClard had an unexpected change of heart and hasn't played since. Then, the following year brought fall signees Lexi Bando (all-Pac12 freshman 2yrs ago & top 10 in nation in 3-pt FG% with over 70 makes this season), Jill Barta (a future AA), Georgia (who last I checked started every game in our S16 season 2 yrs ago). Spring commit Laura Cornelius (rated#1 international player by Prospects Nation and who is a 22 min + per game contributor as fresh for Top 25 program Miami). Emma S, a 3-pt threat and KB, a versatile athlete that could develop, were late pickups probably because of the departure of Viela and Walter.

Recruiting is an in-exact science and ever-changing. It's not always wrapped up in some convenient box. But looking at the roster we would have had, we would have still been in incredible position for continued success.

Thanks Lala. Each program has kids come and kids go. Some kids stay for 4-5 years, others transfer out after 1-2 years. Sometimes the players coming in, come in as true freshman. Sometimes they come in as Ju-Co transfers or transfers from other schools with anywhere from 1-3 years of eligibility left. GU is no different than any other school in the recruiting process. Mak is going to have 1 year of eligibility, Georgia, had two, I think Chandler will have 3 unless she gets hurt and so on.

We have had a lot of good girls transfer in and we have lost a few who have transferred out or asked to be released from their LOI. The coach cannot be responsible for kids that want to leave the program (no playing time, homesick, health, tired of basketball, etc.) or who have change of heart. In recent years, Danielle Walters left a year early I hear due to health issues. Mikey left a year early due to lack of playing time, Ryan Spangler left the men's team because he wanted to play closer to home. McClard was simply sick of BB. Of course Bando asked to be released from her LOI. Don't forget that redshirts will also impact the number of players in a particular class.

There are any number of reasons a particular year may be short or void of players as you and others have noted above. All a coach can do is try and fill those holes as the arise. Sometimes you can fill them with experienced transfer students, other times you fill them with incoming freshman. Unless you have a mass exodus like EWU & UNC did last year it is really tough to place the blame at the foot of the coaches and then to imply he did it intentionally to hurt the program he had built up from scratch over 14 years is just BS.

Thanks for your insights Lala,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Lalazag View Post
    Spring commit Laura Cornelius (rated#1 international player by Prospects Nation and who is a 22 min + per game contributor as fresh for Top 25 program Miami). Emma S, a 3-pt threat and KB, a versatile athlete that could develop, were late pickups probably because of the departure of Viela and Walter.
    Lala...your post made me think as I had kind of forgotten about Cornelius. Not that I was checking up on your research but I did find Prospect Nation's International Rankings for 2014 interesting in that Kaci Bosch was ranked 24th and Emma Stach was not on the list.

https://prospectsnation.com/players/all/int/2014

Not to worry about Cornelius not being on the 2014 list as she was on the list for the 2015 list as her knee injury pushed her back a year.

https://prospectsnation.com/players/all/int/2015

The future of GU women's basketball from the Slipper Still Fits: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016...-recap-preview

Nothing new here, just something to read on the women's board!

Graves said the football reference on his radio talk show.....

Graves left GU without a legit pg....the current pg had to send her resume to 200 colleges before she got an offer.Did you forget that she was an "All-American Ju-Co player at NIC ..she was adequate, but not DIV 1Your right, all she did was lead GU to a sweet 16 (should have been elite eight) appearance. ....in addition, he had only one recruit that is a junior, and only a junior because she redshirted last year.....do you know what it means to have an entire empty class?......its not good....he recruited one player that has seen very little playing time, reason unknown.He recruited Bando and Barta. That is not too bad a pair. If KG stayed at GU, Bando would have stayed. ..and another smallish shooting guard.Get Ready LF selected Jessia Loera and she is all of 5'-7"...
    sure KG left for the money and the prestige but also I think he may have looked at the roster and saw the holes and decided he better make his escape.Reaching a bit.

and I sure I'm happy there's posters rooting for a good player to go to OSU or another school.....just what you like to read on the ZAG'S WOMENS'S bb thread....

would you get away with that on the men's side?......no.....but here, we regularly have posters pulling for other competing programs to take recruits.......very strange.....
    Really. Now he did not leave for money, prestige, better facilities, better competition but he left because he was "scared" of an upcoming season with what you deem a line-up with questionable holes.

O'K

ZagDad

I do think Emma is quick....but she is smallish in build even compared to our WCC opponents...there is a place for most body sizes but I do think her role will diminish a little with our bigger guards this year.Zhane has the same limitation. She has the same slight build and is only an 1" taller. Mak and Chandler have more physical body types...

I disagree about Jill....she red shirted....she was a star in Montana.....and she was actively sought out by KG....he wanted her at Oregon.....her potential was obvious from the first time she stepped on the floor....I've rewatched all the games from this past season and it is stunning the floor awareness she has to get herself open....and she was confident from the start....even Shaq said about the freshmen, meaning Jill, that she didn't understand a freshmen having the aggression, the confidence and the consistency that Jill has....I predict if given the chance, which means more than averaging 22-24 minutes a game as she did last season, that she'll have probably 25 double/doubles and will lead the league in scoring if not the nation...

Chelsea....ugh.....why she sat for 4 yrs is beyond me.exactly who would have replaced with Chelsea? Take Sunny out? That's who played the 4 spot for the years Chelsea was at GU. It is great to complain about playing time, but Chelsea is no Sunny. ...it's maddening knowing what she could have added the last four yrs...of course, a player can't just be a minute here, a minute there to find their stride, as Chelsea had to do....finally this year she got good playing time and I thought she did great...

I look for a much faster game next year.. This is likely. ..I look for a better passing game.Hopefully to our team and not so much to the other team...I think we'll be high percentages as far as free throws.Why? We have the same players as this year. Hopefully they practice free throw shooting and improve from this year. ..I think if the staff gets its act together we can expect several more sell outs.Depends on who we are playing and if we are winning. Top Notch opponents and winning always sells tickets. Continue to lose at home and/or play the Grand Canyons of the world and sell-outs will be difficult to come by...

re Uconn:.....I know they had some great players, but they get a huge advantage playing 8 of their championship/ncaa games in Conn....people from other conferences were outraged (Iowa, eg) that the Zags played two home games and then got awarded two games at the arena several years ago, when Sloot was here...just outraged....but UCONN seems to get home games every single year.A couple of years ago the NCAA went back to the top 16 seeds hosting the first two rounds of the tournament. Why - Horrid attendance. Uconn is always ranked in the top 16, thus they host. The women's basketball fans had a chance to support alternate sites but in general, the fans did not turn out (Spokane excluded). Keep in mind that several of the WNBA teams don't average many more fans than GU plays in front of. Look at the coverage the Spokesman gives the women compared to the men. Look at the number of posters on the men's board versus the women's board. There just is not the support for women's sports (in general) that there is for men's sports....

if the NCAA wants to make the womens game a little more competitive and more compelling, they will have to stop handing huge advantages to certain teams.....

South Dakota winning the WNIT is exciting....they drew 7000 fans to their game.....isn't this what the NCAA should be shooting for?.Did you see the GU facebook page on our women's attendence? We averaged just over 5600 fans (tickets sold) per game and that is 12th in the nation. Don't expect the 7,000 fans for SD to be typical. ...many universities being wild about their teams, unfortunately many don't show up to support their teams at the arena. Attendance figures would dispute this claim.and their teams having a fair chance, rather than just a few ???? Get used to it. Duke, UNC, All ACC teams, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky on the men's side get preferential treatment. It is no different in the ladies game. At least in the women's game, the majority of the teams usually earn their rankings.

I just feel the womens game has tremendous potential but there has to be some balancing...
    We have a great community supporting the women's BB team at GU, but unfortunately this is not normal. Maybe the Women's national soccer team, women's tennis, maybe ladies figure skating or gymnastics out draw their male counterparts. The reality is most of the women's sports are not supported at any level that would make them profitable. Even the WNBA would not be in existence if it was not underwritten by the NBA.

ZagDad

A few years back I was visiting with KG about recruiting... he said they had a plan but it was always moving. He said they were always trying to fill their needs but sometimes there wasn't a player available to do so. I remember in high school, there were classes that had great players and others... not so much.
    This is why one year we will see 2 recruits and the next 4. One year we may have 4 players on the end of the bench in street clothes, hopefully next year none. That's life in the sports world.

Sometimes, you are lucky and find a diamond in the rough... ZR. Someone without a lot of BB background but a ton of ability. It will be fun to see her grow.

I wonder if Geno has any problems recruiting.... makes you think winning helps.

Go Zags !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    A few years back I was visiting with KG about recruiting... he said they had a plan but it was always moving. He said they were always trying to fill their needs but sometimes there wasn't a player available to do so. I remember in high school, there were classes that had great players and others... not so much.
    This is why one year we will see 2 recruits and the next 4. One year we may have 4 players on the end of the bench in street clothes, hopefully next year none. That's life in the sports world.

Sometimes, you are lucky and find a diamond in the rough... ZR. Someone without a lot of BB background but a ton of ability. It will be fun to see her grow.

I wonder if Geno has any problems recruiting.... makes you think winning helps.

Go Zags !!!
    I think that Geno's only recruiting problem is deciding which of the MdD's All-Americans does he want on his team. I heard something during the lead-up to the Women's final that UConn has only had the top-rated recruiting class once in the past four years (Breanna Stewart's incoming class). The last three years UConn has not had the top rated recruiting class although you can bet he had one of the top 5 incoming classes. Put one of the best coaches of all time with a consistent top 5 recruiting class, it can be seen why they are always in the mix.

Even the great and powerful Geno is not perfect. Elena Della Donne left UConn after only a week.

ZagDad